• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potentially Surprising Cuts at Linebacker in 2021

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Jack Lambert. Jack Ham. James Harrison. Greg Lloyd. Kendrell Bell. Since we can remember, the Pittsburgh Steelers are known for their linebackers. Linebackers are praised in Pittsburgh as being a reflection of Steeler Nation. This meaning the Steelers breed tough, gritty, never-say-die men to play the outside and inside linebacker positions. With that said, we often see the Steelers invite plenty of rookie and veteran players to compete for the four starting linebacker roles in the defense. So, who are some potentially surprising cuts at linebacker we could see before September? Let’s get into it:

Marcus Allen

Allen was drafted 148th overall by the Steelers in 2018 as a safety. Because of his size and strength, Allen moved from safety to a linebacker/dime backer role. He’s listed as linebacker on the depth chart and saw a lot of time at the position in the latter part of the 2020 season as a result of injuries. In addition to linebacker, Allen was also a big asset on special teams and is a tackling machine. However, Miles Killebrew was acquired in March to compete for that hybrid position. Killebrew came into Pittsburgh as a free agent after four years with the Detroit Lions. Given the current defensive scheme, both Allen and Killebrew would be evaluated on special teams before defense, and that is where Killebrew is superior. He was a major asset in Detroit on special teams and made large impacts on kick and punt returns. Comparing the tape, statistics on paper, and need for the Steelers, I see Allen either getting cut or moved down to the practice squad in favor of Killebrew.

Cassius Marsh

Since he was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in 2014, Marsh has been a journeyman in the NFL before landing in Pittsburgh in 2020. I know what you’re thinking — Marsh is listed as defensive end. However, Marsh plays more of that hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker role. Marsh was brought into Pittsburgh late in 2020 off the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad to help replenish a depleted Steelers defensive unit. Looking into the upcoming season, Marsh is going to see some tough competition for the edge/outside linebacker role. We already know T.J. Watt and Alex Highsmith are going into camp as starters, but the depth behind them is in flux. Marsh is going to be competing against rookies Quincy Roche and Boogie Watson, along with second-year man Jamir Jones. Of those names, Roche is primed to earn the back-up role to Watt and Highsmith, leaving room for just one more opening on the outside. Unfortunately, I think Marsh finds himself either cut or back on the practice squad when the cuts to the final roster are made.

Ulysees Gilbert III

Since he was drafted by the Steelers 270th overall in 2019, Gilbert has spent more time on the Injured Reserve list than the actual playing field. It seems as though Gilbert is in a position to lock in a starting inside linebacker role, then gets bit by the injury bug and struggles to overcome it. There are some analysts who are expecting Vince Williams to get the axe after training camp, but I anticipate Gilbert landing on the outside looking in. Especially with the fourth-round selection of Buddy Johnson in April’s draft combined with the re-signing of Robert Spillane, the pieces are not falling in Gilbert’s favor to make the final roster. Personally, I like Williams over Gilbert, paired with Devin Bush, and backed by Johnson and Spillane to round out the inside portion of the linebacker corps in 2021.

Who do you think will miss the cut at linebacker? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i doubt we cut Allen. Dude has bulked up to play LB.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Marsh Watson, I see us sign Houston and he and Roche rotate with watt and Highsmith

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i doubt we cut Allen. Dude has bulked up to play LB.

I think Bince Williams shouldn't be assuming he is the starter. Spillane / Allen / others may pinch him out.

Just Curious Superman, what are the odds Bince is the starter ILB ?

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Jack Lambert. Jack Ham. James Harrison. Greg Lloyd. Kendrell Bell. Since we can remember, the Pittsburgh Steelers are known for their linebackers. Linebackers are praised in Pittsburgh as being a reflection of Steeler Nation. This meaning the Steelers breed tough, gritty, never-say-die men to play the outside and inside linebacker positions. With that said, we often see the Steelers invite plenty of rookie and veteran players to compete for the four starting linebacker roles in the defense. So, who are some potentially surprising cuts at linebacker we could see before September? Let’s get into it:

...oh and also Kevin Greene

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't really think if any of those guys get cut it would be that surprising.
I agree. Especially at inside linebacker. Think Vince could lose starting job but not roster spot. It would be awesome if Allen could emerge, but he didn't seem to have the ability to sift through the garbage. That is a big difference between linebacker and safety instinct.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Bince Williams shouldn't be assuming he is the starter. Spillane / Allen / others may pinch him out.

Just Curious Superman, what are the odds Bince is the starter ILB ?

Salute the nation
I love me some Bince.
But I also see that he's almost a liability when on the field if he's not rushing the passer or rushing period.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Come on men..

none of those mentioned are a surprise...

Now Devin Bush would be a surprise!

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Bince may be our best outside pass rusher after Watt and Highsmith...he may just etch roster spot because of that versatility. Hoping Roche surprises and shows out, tall ask for a rookie tho

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Honestly, I’ll be disappointed if marsh doesn’t get cut... he is ok at special teams but I don’t think that he is a solution at olb depth

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Especially at inside linebacker. Think Vince could lose starting job but not roster spot. It would be awesome if Allen could emerge, but he didn't seem to have the ability to sift through the garbage. That is a big difference between linebacker and safety instinct.

It does look like ALLEN bulked up a little, maybe that will help some.

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it will be Spillane and Bush starting.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
You have to win your division before anything else.. we have three teams that all run the ball really well and have 3 of the best young qb in all of football. Puts tremendous pressure on the inside backer to stop the run as well as cover in pass coverage. Frankly I don’t see any of these :bums: as being up to it… Williams has lost a step he didn’t have he was a stop gap that was never replaced… bush was suppose to replace Shaz didn’t happen and doubt if it will.. the others are either too light in the pants or too slow to cover or both… this team AND fan base lives it’s linebackers… this linebacker crew is pigs with lipstick! And is going to be a huge weak link in the defense as it won’t be much help against the run or the pass

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not sure if Allen is gone. A bit undersized last season- his vision and ability to cover TE’s was a pleasant surprise. His ability to blitz the gaps was underwhelming but some bulking up and some work in the off-season could pay off. I think they will find a way to use him properly. I do see Bince possibly being the odd man out