• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Watt on Contract Talks: “I Love This Team. I’m Excited to Be Here.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the Pittsburgh Steelers opening up training camp this week, a few players and coaches were able to be interviewed in person for the first time since COVID-19. One big deal to a lot of media members was the idea that TJ Watt reported to camp. Watt, who is playing on the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, dismissed the notion that he wouldn’t show up. “I love this team. I love all the coaches, the staff and the players. I’m excited to be here and that’s why I’m here,” said Watt.

Watt, who has been one of the most dominant defenders in the NFL since entering the league in 2015, was asked numerous questions about his contract situation during his first media session of the season. When asked on whether he thinks he will have a new contract before the start of the season he stated, “It’s not for me to say and that’s all I’ll say. I love Pittsburgh and obviously I would love to be here, but it’s ultimately not up to me.”

Watt was also questioned about finishing second in Defensive Player of the Year voting to Aaron Donald, “It is what it is at this point. It doesn’t matter. We didn’t win a Super Bowl and that’s all that matters in the grand scheme of things.” Watt, who exemplifies the team-first mentality, clearly is not concerned about off the field accolades, even though he should be a two-time Defensive Player of the Year Award winner so far.

Lastly, Watt talked about his desire to become a better player on and off the field and his work ethic. “Every year I am trying to take that next step whether it’s on the field or off the field. Everyone in this building better have that attitude.” Watt, who has become one of the top leaders among his teammates, has a great mindset and expects the best out of himself and his teammates.

Even though Watt is not signed to a long-term contract at this point in time, it’s clearly a top priority for the Steelers. He is entering the prime years of his career and will be a main building block of the Steelers success on defense for the next decade. His contract will likely reset the edge rusher market, but there’s not a more deserving or harder working player in the NFL than Watt and Steelers fans should count their lucky stars the Steelers were able to land him so late in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

What are your expectations for Watt this season? Sound off in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
you have to break the bank he is easily on pace to break Deebo sack record at his pace maybe 3 seasons, as a raw 1 year starter he has done everything since being drafted play the run drop back, improve each year, add new pass rush moves, he is the heart and soul of the LB's they D feeds of his energy the type hustle plays he makes the whole D cranks up esp once renegade has played, he goes crazy he Cam are ready to wreak hell.
5 years 135 million 23 MILL SB, he may push it to 140 and 25 SB

Stlrs4Life

Forefather
Reaction score
I believe the Steelers will come to a deal with him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
you have to break the bank he is easily on pace to break Deebo sack record at his pace maybe 3 seasons, as a raw 1 year starter he has done everything since being drafted play the run drop back, improve each year, add new pass rush moves, he is the heart and soul of the LB's they D feeds of his energy the type hustle plays he makes the whole D cranks up esp once renegade has played, he goes crazy he Cam are ready to wreak hell.
Perhaps they will throw in that voidable verbiage enabling them to lower their hit next year while still giving him desirable money. On a lesser note they even did that with Ingram lowering his hit this year. In this scenario gives them a little more money for a certain FS and gives them flexibility to bring in a QB if necessary depending on BigBen of course.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I think Watt may cause them to rethink “the standard” to how bonus money is allocated, he is a very rare talent and I’m sure his agent will make sure he gets paid that way...as he should

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I could care less about the sack record. If signing Watt long-term gives us a chance at a SB or two then pay the man.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Watt may cause them to rethink “the standard” to how bonus money is allocated, he is a very rare talent and I’m sure his agent will make sure he gets paid that way...as he should
I think it is only the FAN that has to rethink that term. The Steelers have been paying top dollar to their FA's for a long time now.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think $25 signing bonus will work in his case. If that's all they are going to offer him, his salary will be much higher per year. I'm thinking his SB will be closer to $50 million to keep him anywhere near the $135 million overall mark for 5 years. They could try to pull something where he gets $25 million guaranteed up front and another roster bonus of about the same next year but I still think he will be getting at least $50 million guaranteed and maybe more. $25 million would actually shock me.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Will definately ake more than $$$$25$$$$ signing bonus and I'm a tight-wad. I'd think $50+ mill and creative contract but absolutely the highest paid edge / defensive player in the NFL. Long structured deal with "cap" implications and seasonal guarantees.

What ever the case TJ WATTT nees to be a STEELERS player all the way through his retirement.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think with TJ you just have to accept that its gonna be massive. Highest paid defensive player in the league and in a few years it won't seem as bad.
Yep. The Steelers routinely make players at their positions the highest paid in the league and you're right that it won't be long before the contract isn't bad because the next guy is always the highest paid.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I logged out and forgot my password. But the email associated with my account has slightly changed. I have access to the site on my phone but not laptop.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I logged out and forgot my password. But the email associated with my account has slightly changed. I have access to the site on my phone but not laptop.
Once you get back in make sure to update to your new email. Hope it is all straightened out now.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
just a few years ago Garrett got 25 SB due to inflation isn't 50 a Lil too much, don't care if it's 135-145 million spread over 5 or 6 just pay to keep him, the cap room is there hoping to see an extension before Season starts.
we developed a star and the scheme is so built around his strengths. Given he was also playing De in the big nickel makes him even more of a keeper he is as good as a rusher standing or in 2 pt stance.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
iu