• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steven Nelson Wanted An Extension in Pittsburgh

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Weren't that far off? You were WAY off. He was resigned BEFORE the draft, BEFORE Watt was drafted. Jarvis was OFF THE TEAM in 2017. I got your nut right here
Waaaay off. By a year. 👏

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Waaaay off. By a year. 👏
Yes, and that year was a major change and put MASSIVE holes in your argument. When you ***** that two people were starting over him, and one wasn't even on the team, and the other didn't get any starts the year you were trying to defend Harrison with... it kind of makes things WAY WRONG.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
James Harrison was involved in one of the top 3 plays in superbowl history. James Harrison also took a "ratbird" game over one evening. How many sack would he have extended the STEELERS sack record by if the league would have called 1/4 of the holds on him ? He has many other acolades and memories but he tarnished his reputation by his exit / retirement stratagy. There is no excuse to the unprofessionalism he showed his last season on th team. His defenseive arguement was weak-sauce at best regardless of what he was told prior to season start. Player surprise and new developements occure as the season progresses. JAMES acted his way out of a chance to start by being disgruntalled.

He did get a participation trophy while playing with the cheaters.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The Steelers talked Harrison into coming back. He put a ton of effort into his body to get ready and they don't play him over scrubs. Harrison did act unprofessional, but i think he felt betrayed. They should have at least given him a legit shot. I can not stand Harrison as a person, but i don't blame him for being bitter and pissed

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers talked Harrison into coming back. He put a ton of effort into his body to get ready and they don't play him over scrubs. Harrison did act unprofessional, but i think he felt betrayed. They should have at least given him a legit shot. I can not stand Harrison as a person, but i don't blame him for being bitter and pissed
**** Harrison.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Harrison should of been signed over Marsh he would of played better gotten actual pressure Nelson looked average no reason to offer him an extension however with no Hilton I would feel more comfortable with him and Haden on the edges and Sutton in the slot. Layne better step up as I hope he is Haden Aapperient smart big strong press CB. Wish Desir all the best as a underdog story

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Which OLB that they were working to develop should Harrison have played over? TJ Watt? Bud Dupree? They were working to develop those two into the players they became. The way they chose to do that was to start them and let them learn. Playing Harrison over either of them would have slowed their development. Heck, Dupree was already slow in developing.
I guess he could have taken some of Chick's snaps as the third OLB. But, if he was bitching about playing time and they felt the difference between he and Chick was minimal, I wouldn't have rewarded his bitching either. Not like he went to NE and lit the world on fire with his play.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Harrison should of been signed over Marsh he would of played better gotten actual pressure Nelson looked average no reason to offer him an extension however with no Hilton I would feel more comfortable with him and Haden on the edges and Sutton in the slot. Layne better step up as I hope he is Haden Aapperient smart big strong press CB. Wish Desir all the best as a underdog story
There's no Desir in our team

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Which OLB that they were working to develop should Harrison have played over? TJ Watt? Bud Dupree? They were working to develop those two into the players they became. The way they chose to do that was to start them and let them learn. Playing Harrison over either of them would have slowed their development. Heck, Dupree was already slow in developing.
I guess he could have taken some of Chick's snaps as the third OLB. But, if he was bitching about playing time and they felt the difference between he and Chick was minimal, I wouldn't have rewarded his bitching either. Not like he went to NE and lit the world on fire with his play.

EXACTLT SteelBuckeye, many here are remembering a younger James Harrison when they defend him at the end. He was a ghost of his prime, didn't have much drive / speed left in the legs. He did NOT show anything in cheatsville to prove he should have been a starter here. Chickillo had a way better chance in coverage than Harrison did so swapping snaps would have been detrimental. They only got him to come back because he made the decision to come back, no one twisted his arm and I highly doubt anyone promissed starting role because coaches know better than player what their ability is, even at the end of their careers.

Harrison turned asZhat and was ONLY being kept as depth. The coaching finally said this is enough and released him. James went on to bad mouth anyone and anything to get into the lime-light media. This bashing included Ben / Team / Coaching / franchise so I for one definately didn't like that side of the person of James Harrison but his playing side (minus last season) I definately loved his play and ferosiousness through out.

James Harrison was involved in many famous plays from top to bottom and we all remember the great ones but how about the body slam of the browns fan, forever in steeler history lore.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Eagles just signed him to a supposed 1 year 4 mil deal per Profootballtalk.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think we all assumed Nelson would get much less on the open market than what the Steelers were paying him. It is too bad things went south with him earlier this offseason. Just a bizarre situation. At this point maybe they plan on using some of the extra cap space to give Watt more money up front.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think we all assumed Nelson would get much less on the open market than what the Steelers were paying him. It is too bad things went south with him earlier this offseason. Just a bizarre situation. At this point maybe they plan on using some of the extra cap space to give Watt more money up front.
I don't even know what his cap hit or salary was for this upcoming season. I simply would have told him to play out his contract. I know that is an odd thing. I'm sure Heyward would have kept him in check if we did keep him on board.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even know what his cap hit or salary was for this upcoming season. I simply would have told him to play out his contract. I know that is an odd thing. I'm sure Heyward would have kept him in check if we did keep him on board.
Had Nelson not made a spat about competing against Sutton, he would have made more staying under PIT contract. His dead money is over $6 mil. His cap hit before was $11 mil. He was given his wish to seek a trade by his agent, but after a couple days tweeted “don’t hold me hostage” or something similar. He was released 3 hours later with PIT taking the hit. Had he stayed, he could have negotiated an extension in 2022 with over $68 mil in cap space. Especially if Joe wasn’t to be resigned.

Nelson made a mistake by seeing the MIN DB getting that huge extension and getting all emotional about it. Stupid decision on his part. Low cap year on all clubs. His chance to find someone to take on his contract was slim to none. Should have kept his tweet to himself.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Had Nelson not made a spat about competing against Sutton, he would have made more staying under PIT contract. His dead money is over $6 mil. His cap hit before was $11 mil. He was given his wish to seek a trade by his agent, but after a couple days tweeted “don’t hold me hostage” or something similar. He was released 3 hours later with PIT taking the hit. Had he stayed, he could have negotiated an extension in 2022 with over $68 mil in cap space. Especially if Joe wasn’t to be resigned.

Nelson made a mistake by seeing the MIN DB getting that huge extension and getting all emotional about it. Stupid decision on his part. Low cap year on all clubs. His chance to find someone to take on his contract was slim to none. Should have kept his tweet to himself.
In simpler terms he done ****** up.😅

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I still would have kept him. Made him play out his contract at the least.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
We couldn't have figured out how to sign him for that amount? he was our starter last year.

I know it takes 2 sides to make a deal man that really sucks losing him for that amount of money. same as Conner. we should have been able to figure out a way to keep him for that kind of $$$

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We are looking for volunteers not prisoners. 😁🤓🏈

slash, I too see it that way. PLUS I think a little more was said behind close doors causing the qwick release.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember earlier in the year somebody signed a FA CB to a pretty sweet contract (for the life of me, I can't remember who or what team) and Nelson tweeted out he was next...our own Minkah Titspatrick tweeted out (with laughing emoji)...paraphrasing "you ain't gonna get nothing like that!".

Nelson's whole attitude changed after that dude got paid. I guess Nelson thought he was on that guy's level and the Steelers (and Minkah) did not.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember earlier in the year somebody signed a FA CB to a pretty sweet contract (for the life of me, I can't remember who or what team) and Nelson tweeted out he was next...our own Minkah Titspatrick tweeted out (with laughing emoji)...paraphrasing "you ain't gonna get nothing like that!".

Nelson's whole attitude changed after that dude got paid. I guess Nelson thought he was on that guy's level and the Steelers (and Minkah) did not.
Apparently neither did the rest of the league.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently neither did the rest of the league.
I liked the guy initially. He played well. But last year his play just dropped off. I think that will continue trending with the Eagles. Let us see if he proves me wrong.

Steelmann

Reaction score
We couldn't have figured out how to sign him for that amount? he was our starter last year.

I know it takes 2 sides to make a deal man that really sucks losing him for that amount of money. same as Conner. we should have been able to figure out a way to keep him for that kind of $$$
You know I gotta say. I just am not understanding this type of attitude. I thought he ******* sucked last season. As much as I liked Connors story, I don’t think he was the answer either. The collapse at the end of the year, along with the playoff game really exposed the play of Nelson. Here’s to the coaching/management taking a chance on improving the team, not staying stagnant. Also thinking about salary cap implications. Nelson showed his true colours during this off season, and I for one am glad he was ignored. Let’s see what the young guys got.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
So let me get this right....Nelson says no to a 2021 $8.25M salary with the Steelers and becoming a UFA is 2022 to sign a one year $4M deal with the Eagles? Yeah, that adds ups.