• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.................vs Seahawks......

Chicoman

Reaction score
This one started off with the Steelers taking a 14-0 lead into the locker room at the half and it looked like it wouldn't be much of a contest with a depleted Seahawks team minus Russell Wilson. But this is the 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers they don't win easy.......they like to push the envelope and give all us Steeler fans coronaries. Seattle was able to exploit our biggest weakness on Defense and that is our ability to stop the run and they exploited it to perfection.....tying the game up at 17 in the 4th QTR. I have nothing positive to say about our #1 Draft pick from 2019.....in fact today he looked 1/2 Jarvis Jones 1/2 Jim Marshall. He is not cut out to to be an NFL LB'er. He is soft and doesn't read and react quick enough to be an ILB in a 3-4 Defense. He needs to flow better to the ball carrier on running plays and fill gaps and make tackles. All fundamental things you ask for with any ILB. Bush is a borderline BUST right now and it was very obvious tonight.....his tackling or lack of it was on full display tonight for everyone to see. I still don't think this Steelers team is a playoff caliber team and I expect them to fade down the stretch as their schedule is pretty brutal to close out the 2021 season. I do see better consistency from our O-line a little bit each and every week....would still like to see Najee racking up more yards on the ground but he had 127 yds from scrimmage tonight rushing and receiving. After a 1-3 start to this season it feels good to head into the Bye Week at 3-3 instead of falling to 2-4....thanks to TJ Watt. At least our season is back within striking distance but this team is a long way from being a playoff team right now. Let's enjoy this one this week and hopefully the BYE week will help Anthony McFarland, Zach Banner & Stephon Tuitt get back onto the starting lineup. I'm a bit excited to see what McFarland can do in year two.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Dan Moore - Hip Injury being evaluated

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - Big players make big plays and you saw TJ tonight especially on that last play where he stripped Geno Smith....they had like 5 guys on him. He was grabbed by his Facemask, broke free, ran Geno down and stripped him of the football setting up the Steelers victory tonight. 2 sacks, 3 tackles for a loss & 1 Forced Fumble. Keep punching TJ!
Cam Heyward - This guy is getting better with age and I'm just proud of the effort this guy puts out on the field each and every week. He's a MONSTER!
Alex Highsmith - I've been hard on this guy the past 2 weeks with only 3 tackles in 2 games but he had good pressure tonight with a couple sacks to boot. Good Game!
Tre Norwood - He didn't see the field much but he made the most of his time out there....3 key tackles including one for a loss
Najee Harris - Tough yards tonight but he did rack up 81 yds rushing & 46 receiving......I applaud the effort
Pat Freiermuth - 7 rec 58yds.....nice little coming out party for him....caught all 7 targets throw to him
Chris Boswell - clutch kicking tonight including the game winner. The Wizard of Boz!
Minkah Fitzpatrick - I'd say he quietly had a good game tonight but he was very good tonight recording 7 tackles

Game Goats:
Devin Bush - Someone needs to remind Devin Bush he's a LB'er.....HIT SOMEONE ala Dracula in Cleats! This kid is a borderline BUST! I actually vomited in my mouth when he recovered the fumble in OT and for a split second was running in the wrong direction....I had visions of Jim Marshall. I expect better tackling and a better performance from a Top 10 NFL Pick. To say he was a step behind all night would be a compliment. This kid was terrible tonight flowing to the ball carrier and tackling. If you are wondering why Seattle was running all over us in the 2nd Half Devin Bush was a big reason why.....slow to the ball carrier and running past plays. TERRIBLE!
Chase Claypool - Had 7 targets tonight only catching 2 passes for 17 yards. a Bone headed Offensive Pass Interference penalty tonight downfield too. Cmon Chase time to step up as a player!

FU's:
I got nothing.....I'm numb....this game took too much out of me tonight!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The offense is this. If they stop Harris on the run he is the #1 receiver. Period. Trying to stop both will get you zapped by Claypool and Johnson. It's really that simple.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I love Friermuth. But your Claypool hatred is hilarious. He can zap a team at any moment. So if you want to shut down Harris run and pass he is one on one.
I don't hate claypool, hell I like the kid

but he sucked tonight

he is weak and doesn't fight for the ball and make stupid ******* plays

at least twice tonight he didn't run the route Ben expected him to

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Muth is really the key to this offense going into next phase of season. if he gets close to 7 catches a game between him and Harris that's first downs baby! and if we can move the chains keep defense off field we got a good shot at winning. johnson and chase can't carry offense but can make big plays here in there... it will come down to Muth and Harris... so far they look up to it. hope Moore's ok he's just starting to really take over at LT we don't need OLine injuries. green and big Dot staring to open things up a bit. go steelers!!! position coach needs to get all over claypool about playing mature. stupid push offs and **** is bush league.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Last week Chase had a big game. He's talented. He just had a **** game tonight. It happens.

Devin Bush concerns me. I don't "know football" like many of you do, but it was real obvious he was NOT doing his job. Lot's of over-runs and over-pursuits. He probably could have kept Seattle from being nearly as dominant as they were in the 2nd half if he'd had a good game. At the moment, it appears he's more of a liability than an asset.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, even Ebron actually played a pretty decent game. I'm about half impressed.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicoman's Game Balls are spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

Game Goat: I've never seen a team run at the same defensive lineman as relentlessly as the Seahawks ran at Wormley in the third quarter last night. How many times did they gash his side of the interior with the same one or two plays? Downright embarrassing, as Seattle turned the game around with an astute halftime adjustment.

Also, Ben gets a (dis)honorable mention with an anemic 5.7 YPA, another lost fumble on a night where he faced little pressure from a poor defense, and was very lucky to be gifted two dropped INTs by #33 in crucial game situations. I honestly don't know how much more I can take of watching this guy consistently throw the ball well short of the line to gain on 3rd down. The shell of his former self that Ben has become makes me literally nauseous at times. He has practically nothing left of what once made him great.

The FU goes to PFF, who has evidently determined that Minkah Fitzpatrick is somehow the second-worst safety in all of the NFL (#84 of 85). Give me a ******* break.

Stewey

Reaction score
Chicoman's Game Balls are spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

Game Goat: I've never seen a team run at the same defensive lineman as relentlessly as the Seahawks ran at Wormley in the third quarter last night. How many times did they gash his side of the interior with the same one or two plays? Downright embarrassing, as Seattle turned the game around with an astute halftime adjustment.

Also, Ben gets a (dis)honorable mention with an anemic 5.7 YPA, another lost fumble on a night where he faced little pressure from a poor defense, and was very lucky to be gifted two dropped INTs by #33 in crucial game situations. I honestly don't know how much more I can take of watching this guy consistently throw the ball well short of the line to gain on 3rd down. The shell of his former self that Ben has become makes me literally nauseous at times. He has practically nothing left of what once made him great.

The FU goes to PFF, who has evidently determined that Minkah Fitzpatrick is somehow the second-worst safety in all of the NFL (#84 of 85). Give me a ******* break.
Uh oh...ya better run for cover! lol

The O line played decent, picking up where they left off last week. Good sign!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week Chase had a big game. He's talented. He just had a **** game tonight. It happens.

Devin Bush concerns me. I don't "know football" like many of you do, but it was real obvious he was NOT doing his job. Lot's of over-runs and over-pursuits. He probably could have kept Seattle from being nearly as dominant as they were in the 2nd half if he'd had a good game. At the moment, it appears he's more of a liability than an asset.
I simply would not throw the 50/50 type ball to him anymore. It really is a 25/75 type of throw for him. Maybe even a 15/85.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Game ball to Joe Haeg. Did a really nice job subbing for Moore. Running game did not suffer when he entered the game. Hell, it improved.

Goat to Tomlin and coaching staff for being terrified of Geno Smith's amazing passing talents and insisting on going 2 DL and 5 DB's the entire first drive of the 2nd half. We can hate on Wormley all we want, but he is being double-teamed BECAUSE THE COACHES THOUGHT PLAYING TWO DEFENSIVE LINEMEN AGAINST A TEAM RUNNING THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROAT WAS A GOOD IDEA.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score

That pretty much describes Bud Dupree early in his career. It will take time, but that can be fixed.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Game ball to Joe Haeg. Did a really nice job subbing for Moore. Running game did not suffer when he entered the game. Hell, it improved.

Goat to Tomlin and coaching staff for being terrified of Geno Smith's amazing passing talents and insisting on going 2 DL and 5 DB's the entire first drive of the 2nd half. We can hate on Wormley all we want, but he is being double-teamed BECAUSE THE COACHES THOUGHT PLAYING TWO DEFENSIVE LINEMEN AGAINST A TEAM RUNNING THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROAT WAS A GOOD IDEA.
The defense would have been fine, if they could have tackled.

This game did nothing to alleviate a growing feeling I'm having that these games are orchestrated to some extent. How do you explain a defense that was completely smothering in the first half basically forgetting how to tackle in the second half until the game was tied, and then all of a sudden remembering how to play again? That pretty much describes last night's defense. And it had nothing to do with scheme. They were just missing tackles.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool played injured the entire game. He was limping very noticeably the entire game. My guess is he really needs our bye and maybe more to fully recover. Ben played well. In a game where we should have been audibling to throw more downfield, we had nothing for Ben to audible to. They had 8 or 9 at the line and we hardly made any adjustments in our calling. Canada's play-calling was all over the place. One minute you think it is going to go well and then he calls another dumbass play. He really has to go after this year. This **** isn't hard. Get a hurry-up/no-huddle system ready as we obviously need it moving forward.

I loved Collinsworth's comment on Heyward. He first said Ben is in the HOF when he retires. He then went on to say how good Heyward is and how he feels he is also a sure HOFer. I hope so. I think he deserves it.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Always look forward to your write up Chico. A game ball has go to our O line. The improvements from the first game on is quite something.

The FU’s for me have to go to the coaching. I just don’t get them anymore. After a disheartening first quarter,the second quarter produced some great play calling and I thought......finally. Then with 58 or so seconds left,a TO ,great field position they play turtle ball again. Any other team would have tried seriously to go for at least a FG. Not us. We are trying to set the record for few yards per pass completed. We started on our 41! I thought here we go again. Up 14-0. Once again playing ***** football. Never going for the jugular. And that continues all 2nd half. One FG per quarter.
One FG per quarter. Against this defense that everyone else has had there way with.

While everyone was rightly screaming at our D for the run- gashing,our O was putting up 3 points per quarter. The play calling was epic. With under 2 minutes to go,Naj running great 2nd and 5,driving for the game winning FG,taking time off the clock. They decide to pass deep. Epic. Stop the clock,penalty. Pass again. Stop the clock. Un ******* believable. Someone should be fired just for that series. Someone should be held accountable. All that fiasco at the end shouldn’t have even transpired. 2nd and 5. Two running plays to get a first,even 3. For 5 yards. And winding the clock down. Let’s pass. Epic. Idiocy.

Don’t even get me started about our offensive series in OT. One run. 2 passes going for less than 3 yards from scrimmage each. Epic. I am glad we are not living in our fears.
Thank you for drafting TJ. And Boz. They won the game in OT. As usual our Offense choked.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score

While everyone was rightly screaming at our D for the run- gashing,our O was putting up 3 points per quarter. The play calling was epic. With under 2 minutes to go,Naj running great 2nd and 5,driving for the game winning FG,taking time off the clock. They decide to pass deep. Epic. Stop the clock,penalty. Pass again. Stop the clock. Un ******* believable. Someone should be fired just for that series. Someone should be held accountable. All that fiasco at the end shouldn’t have even transpired. 2nd and 5. Two running plays to get a first,even 3. For 5 yards. And winding the clock down. Let’s pass. Epic. Idiocy.

Don’t even get me started about our offensive series in OT. One run. 2 passes going for less than 3 yards from scrimmage each. Epic. I am glad we are not living in our fears.
Thank you for drafting TJ. And Boz. They won the game in OT. As usual our Offense choked.
Ben actually addressed that in his post-game presser. He said they had a run play called, but that the Hags put ten in the box, and their secondary play was a long pass. DJ was covered, so he went to Claypool, thinking the worst that could happen was an incomplete. He was wrong.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BIG FU to the NFL.

Yesterday was replete with ****** football. All games prior to Sunday Night, but one, were a blow out.

Just had to make it interesting.

Dear NFL Fucktards,

Having an NFL player race across the field, right past the official in front of him, who is imploring him to give him the ball, is, or should be a penalty. Any other time in the game, that is a delay of game.

Having that ball player spot the ball in the middle of the field, at the incorrect yard line, in an attempt to get off a clock kill play, in an effort to kick a FG, a scoring attempt in which every yard matters, is an EMBARASSMENT!

Having an official lean into touch that player spotted ball to make it "official" is a complete joke.

Stopping the game under guise of replay to review a play that was not in question in completely laughable and evil.

Evil to those who just wish to go to bed before midnight on a Sunday evening, excuse me, Monday morning.

FU NFL and your obvious ploy for ratings at a time when the MLB post season is on, the NHL season has started, and on a day when your own product never looked shittier.

FU.

\

FU

FU

Last edited:

Steelmann

Reaction score
Ben actually addressed that in his post-game presser. He said they had a run play called, but that the Hags put ten in the box, and their secondary play was a long pass. DJ was covered, so he went to Claypool, thinking the worst that could happen was an incomplete. He was wrong.
They put 10 in the box all night long it seemed. Time and place for everything. That was not the time for a pass. Are you saying Ben audibles out of the run?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The defense would have been fine, if they could have tackled.

This game did nothing to alleviate a growing feeling I'm having that these games are orchestrated to some extent. How do you explain a defense that was completely smothering in the first half basically forgetting how to tackle in the second half until the game was tied, and then all of a sudden remembering how to play again? That pretty much describes last night's defense. And it had nothing to do with scheme. They were just missing tackles.

VIEWERSHIP out weights integrity

Salute the nation

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
They put 10 in the box all night long it seemed. Time and place for everything. That was not the time for a pass. Are you saying Ben audibles out of the run?
I'm saying what Ben said in the presser after the game. That is all that I'm saying.