• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steven Sims vs. Ray Ray

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to see Steven Sims elevated to the roster from the PS - even for one game - and inserted as primary kick/punt returner and slot WR in Ray Ray's spot.

He seems to be the faster, more explosive player. We've seen plenty of Ray Ray, who's ceiling seems to be limited.

Last edited:

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. RayRay needs to be replaced.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Anthony Miller needs to come up. He can return kicks and he is easily the best WR of the bunch behind Washington. If Claypool is out this week, there is no reason or excuse for not playing Miller as our No. 3 WR behind Johnson and Washington.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Miller Miller Miller...........................................shouts the crowd.

Unfortunately ray ray has not convinced many he is the man. ST's Coach should be making the change or at the least lobbying for it. We don't see day to day but we do see the playing time that is the most important to job security.

I'd be willing as a STs coach to make the switch.

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Enough Ray Ray already, he’s nothing but a MT pet project...not quite sure how he’s held a roster spot this long with what he brings to the table. I’d promote Miller or Sims over him in a heartbeat.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin himself came out and said he is sticking with Ray Ray. He has his "boys" that is for sure. Plays them no matter what everyone else sees.

Ray Ray, Edmunds, and Snell and won't play ones he should Witherspoon, Joseph, Miller, Sims, McFarland, and Washington ect.. He is a poor judge of talent IMO; reason players love to play for him! Never a losing record, cool and a great speaker and motivator. 500 record is the benchmark.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get it at all, a punt returner's first job is to decide whether to field the ball, second and most importantly is ball security. Ray has put the ball on the ground three times recently. There are allot of coaches who go by the motto; one time shame on you, second time shame on me.

If he was busting long returns or a significant receiver but he is not.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, how many freakin times last year and this year has Ray Ray caught the ball inside the endzone and brought it out - even when he is a few yards deep in the endzone? Aren't they taught nowadays to take a knee and get the easy ball at the 25? He rarely makes it past the 20, let alone the 25 and he has never broken one for a TD, so why bother trying - especially since we seem to have a penalty every time he runs it out.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin himself came out and said he is sticking with Ray Ray. He has his "boys" that is for sure. Plays them no matter what everyone else sees.

Ray Ray, Edmunds, and Snell and won't play ones he should Witherspoon, Joseph, Miller, Sims, McFarland, and Washington ect.. He is a poor judge of talent IMO; reason players love to play for him! Never a losing record, cool and a great speaker and motivator. 500 record is the benchmark.
So I guess you see what's going on in every practice? Meeting rooms? C'mon, we can all speculate on 'who should be out there', but there's a reason why we are fans and they are coaches...

Now, that being said, I have seen enough of the Ray Ray project and hopefully he gets it together. We do know that once you're in the doghouse w/ our HC - it ain't an easy escape...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Sims is a “low athletic” “try hard” guy… the Wayne cherbet of this generation… coaches usually adore them…

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
In that situation you might have to tell a JV player that the ball is everything. Nothing higher. That was unbelievable

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never seen anything special with Ray Ray, and I had a good laugh when the announcers were praising his change of direction, making him hard to cover...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never seen anything special with Ray Ray, and I had a good laugh when the announcers were praising his change of direction, making him hard to cover...

Blades of grass didn't seem to find hi difficult.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I know a guy they could target in the draft that could help

for the rest of this season....just get a guy back there that can catch the balls

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Cam Sutton was a ST returner in college, and a successful one by the way. In preseason he always practices with the returners and at least I remember he had good ball security

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is out week to week. Anthony Miller better be playing and better be our No. 3 WR. There's no excuse for them to not have a veteran guy like him ready weeks after they signed him to the team. He can also return kicks but I'd still sit Cody.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
The video you posted of Sims shows him to be somewhat careless with the ball... the exact problem we're trying to fix w/Ray Ray. The video also showed me that Haskins hardly goes deep, btw. Oh, and LOL at the 4:47 mark.

alancac98

Reaction score
I don't get it at all, a punt returner's first job is to decide whether to field the ball, second and most importantly is ball security. Ray has put the ball on the ground three times recently. There are allot of coaches who go by the motto; one time shame on you, second time shame on me.

If he was busting long returns or a significant receiver but he is not.
Yeah, the little dude that did a fantastic job all preseason, until he fumbled once, was and is so much better than Ray Ray. Yet, they cut him the very next round of cuts. Yet, Ray Ray can put the ball on the ground 3 times now and still trots out there with Tomlin's approval.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Yeah, the little dude that did a fantastic job all preseason, until he fumbled once, was and is so much better than Ray Ray. Yet, they cut him the very next round of cuts. Yet, Ray Ray can put the ball on the ground 3 times now and still trots out there with Tomlin's approval.
always like that with tomlins's returners.. Switzer would have virtually no return yards yet be allowed to hold a roster spot for years

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Miller has the speed and is a veteran. He can catch and he can return kicks. He absolutely should be on the team ahead of Sims, Cody, and Ray Ray. Ray Ray did do a decent job getting open though but he is making too many mistakes. At least one play in the game, they had Cody and Sims as our only 2 WR's. Are you ******* kidding me? If Miller is not up to speed by now, cut him. He obviously has nothing left after playing only 4 years in the league. Otherwise, he should be right up there with Diontae and Washington.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Cam Sutton was a ST returner in college, and a successful one by the way. In preseason he always practices with the returners and at least I remember he had good ball security
Yeah, Sutton showed off his good hands on that dropped INT. :yo:

Last edited: