• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Paul Zeise: Steelers' standard under Mike Tomlin has been lowered

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
(I agree with everything that Paul Zeise said below with the exception that "Tomlin shouldn't be fired". It's time for his ineffective *** to be shown the door!)

Mike Tomlin deserves credit for keeping the team together down the stretch and finding a way to win the final two games in order to clinch the final playoff spot in the AFC.

He deserves credit, but spare me the “He should be coach of the year for the job he did.” And spare me the idea that somehow we must ignore the Steelers postseason failures the past 11 seasons when we evaluate his overall resume.

Tomlin began his career 5-1 in playoff games. But after the Steelers playoff debacle Sunday, a 42-21 demolition at the hands of the Chiefs, he is now 8-9 in playoff games. He is 3-8 in his last 11 playoff games. And for the first time since 1967-1971, the Steelers have not won a playoff game in five consecutive seasons..

I don’t think Tomlin should be fired, but I have to ask what exactly the Steelers’ standard is these days and why I am I supposed to wax poetic about the fact he “never had a losing season?”

I mean the standard is the standard, or so we’ve been told, but that standard has been lowered considerably in the past decade or so despite the presence of a Hall of Fame coach and Hall of Fame quarterback.

And that brings me to my next point. I keep reading the Steelers are headed for the dark ages without Ben Roethlisberger, but what exactly has it been around here for the past decade with him?

Yes, he has been magical at times. But the bottom line is he, too, shares in the Steelers playoff ineptitude of late. And he, too, has been below the line in the games that count the most.

I’ve said it many times - the Steelers would be well on the road back to being a contender if they hadn’t wasted the last three years acquiescing to an aging overpriced quarterback whose skill set was clearly diminishing.

It used to be the standard was about contending in the AFC, winning playoff games, making runs at a Super Bowl and being a team the rest of the conference fears. That’s what the Steelers used to be, but the only people who still think they either work for the team or are among their most loyal fans.

Did you watch the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes on Sunday? They slept walked through the first quarter, the Steelers got a defensive touchdown and woke them up and they scored 42 points — including 35 in a row — in the last three quarters. It was never a game once they decided to get engaged.

Tomlin is supposed to be given a lifetime contract and a pass because he won a Super Bowl almost a decade and a half ago, but his career has been really two different ones. He was a superstar coach from 2007-2010 as he was 5-2 in the playoffs and won a Super Bowl and got to another.

From 2011 until now, though, he has won three playoff games and his team has been horribly prepared. They have given up 171 points in their last four playoff games and all while running Tomlin’s defense.

But now we are apparently supposed to get excited because the team slops together enough wins and has the right set of circumstances to sneak into the playoffs and then get blasted. The Steelers don’t lose playoff games any more, they get blasted in them.

Some have suggested Tomlin, who hasn’t won a playoff game since the 2016 season, has done perhaps his best coaching job this season. I keep hearing how incredible it is that he “got this team with all these flaws to the playoffs” but that ignores certain realities.

Yes, it was a miracle that everything happened the Steelers needed to happen on the final Sunday to get the Steelers into the playoffs. But would this season be any different if the Colts beat the Jaguars or the Raiders missed that last second field goal and the Steelers got left out?

And nevermind the fact that they wouldn’t have needed all those things to happen had they shown up ready to play against a bad Minnesota team that they found themselves trailing by four touchdowns.

Tomlin also needs to wear the fact that he hired an offensive coordinator who was in over his head. He also hired an offensive line coach who quit and went back to college because he was, well, in over his head.

He also entrusted the center spot to a rookie with four college games of experience at the position, was content to leave the tackle position to Chuks Okorafor, Dan Moore and Zach Banner — three players with no experience and none proving they are good enough — and he had a large hand, obviously, in the Steelers decision to move up a few years back to draft Devin Bush.

You can’t praise Tomlin for the Steelers season without adding the full context that many of the deficiencies of the team are a direct result of decisions he made, either in personnel or staff decisions.

You can’t act like the Steelers have no hope for the next decade without Roethlisberger without acknowledging that they had very little hope — one AFC title game appearance since 2010 — with him over the last decade as well.

The Steelers got destroyed on Sunday and that is hopefully the wake up call this organization needs. This team, this franchise and this coaching staff need to reevaluate who they actually are and stop deluding themselves into believing who they think they are.

The standard may still be the standard, but settling for celebrating teams that get hammered in the playoffs is a far lower standard than I thought the Steelers prided themselves in actually having.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin began his career 5-1 in playoff games. But after the Steelers playoff debacle Sunday, a 42-21 demolition at the hands of the Chiefs, he is now 8-9 in playoff games. He is 3-8 in his last 11 playoff games. And for the first time since 1967-1971, the Steelers have not won a playoff game in five consecutive seasons.
When I first really started watching Steelers football, they wouldn't go five years without making a conference championship game (1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010....2016). It's stunning they haven't won a playoff game since 2016 and its' conceivable the winless in the playoffs drought stretches at a minimum for another 2-3 seasons.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Tomlin is the poster child or near perfect example of a coach that came in to a fully stocked team and saw success cause of what he inherited. As those veteran players and coaches and the leadership they provided have gone we have seen the Mike Tomlin stamp firmly affixed to this team. This team has lacked leadership and direction and discipline. It becomes more and more evident as each year goes by and tomlin has put his stamp on the team and organization. Tomlin is a fraud and a terrible coach always has been and lucked into getting this job and has done far less with far more than most coaches would ever be allowed to retain their jobs with.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When your coach is asked about how effective he thought the gameplan may have been and he says something to the effect of "gameplans are irrelevant." you know you are dealing with a guy who doesn't understand his job.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope everyone will remember that Ben Roethlisberger never let Mike Tomlin have a losing season. And also of note, Ben Roethlisberger is the final member of the team that Bill Cowher built. Mike is truly on his own now.

Get some popcorn.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
When your coach is asked about how effective he thought the gameplan may have been and he says something to the effect of "gameplans are irrelevant." you know you are dealing with a guy who doesn't understand his job.
yep, pretty ******* stupid for an NFL coach to say this, if Ben came out and said film study is irrelevant, the fans and media would kill him, but he fact Tomlin has said this several times in the past and he never gets called on it is amazing.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
This whole conversation is getting old and boring… we’ve been seriously having it since talk the Jacksonville blowout or even the year before it as NE? I think? The Jacksonville games that year were proof positive that our direction was wrong. Ben flinging picks around like giving out candy at a parade and a defense that couldn’t man up and stop the run. Same ppl are in place that created that situation they were given time to fix it they didn’t move on. Simple…. Simple everywhere but Pittsburgh! I love Pittsburgh! Steelers are part of our dna but man they test us!

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
"It used to be the standard was about contending in the AFC, winning playoff games, making runs at a Super Bowl and being a team the rest of the conference fears. That’s what the Steelers used to be, but the only people who still think they either work for the team or are among their most loyal fans."

He could have ended with this.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope everyone will remember that Ben Roethlisberger never let Mike Tomlin have a losing season. And also of note, Ben Roethlisberger is the final member of the team that Bill Cowher built. Mike is truly on his own now.

Get some popcorn.

Glad you said popcorn because had you said PUDDING, you'd know once the pudding is out you can't put it back in the box.

I hear yaz wig !!!

Salute the nation

Reactions: wig

Stewey

Reaction score
This game has convinced me that the Steeler standard that once was is no more.

Never since 1970 that I could recollect were the Pittsburgh Steelers ever spanked twice by the same team in a season, not even in our down years that were the 80's.

It happened twice this year...against Cincy and KC.

In 1989 we lost to the Stains 51-0. Later in the year we ***** slapped them.

Thanks Mike.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with the fact that once the Cowher drafted players and coaching hold overs left(I know people will be pissed with that and alot think of that as a non factor, but it's hard to argue that), this team has slowly gone down hill as well, in competing on the field and from a culture/leadership stance.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Tomlin is the poster child or near perfect example of a coach that came in to a fully stocked team and saw success cause of what he inherited. As those veteran players and coaches and the leadership they provided have gone we have seen the Mike Tomlin stamp firmly affixed to this team. This team has lacked leadership and direction and discipline. It becomes more and more evident as each year goes by and tomlin has put his stamp on the team and organization. Tomlin is a fraud and a terrible coach always has been and lucked into getting this job and has done far less with far more than most coaches would ever be allowed to retain their jobs with.

Couldn't agree more. Tomlin has never been a good coach. He's been a lucky one because of what he inherited his first 5 years. There's one reason and one reason only that this clown still has a job and that reason is f'n BULLSHIT!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with the fact that once the Cowher drafted players and coaching hold overs left(I know people will be pissed with that and alot think of that as a non factor, but it's hard to argue that), this team has slowly gone down hill as well, in competing on the field and from a culture/leadership stance.
There really aren't any classic Steelers on this roster. The 2005 championship team was special. Look at how tight the defense was in 2008. I think Heyward, Fitzpatrick, Watt, and Haden have the old school feel. I don't get that sense from the others. The rest of the defenders were celebrating an interception down by three scores earlier in the season. The offensive line has no pride. They let Ben get beat up and don't hustle over to help him up. Just zero guys on the roster in the middle ground who are leaders. No Ramon Fosters, Larry Footes, Vince Williams, Ryan Clarks, Brett Keisels., etc. and it is a problem.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin has been coaching for 15 years. He's NEVER had a losing season. He is universally viewed as one of the top 3 or 5 coaches in the NFL by most talking heads.

Not one single Tomlin protege has EVER advanced their career outside of Pittsburgh.

Ever.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
There really aren't any classic Steelers on this roster. The 2005 championship team was special. Look at how tight the defense was in 2008. I think Heyward, Fitzpatrick, Watt, and Haden have the old school feel. I don't get that sense from the others. The rest of the defenders were celebrating an interception down by three scores earlier in the season. The offensive line has no pride. They let Ben get beat up and don't hustle over to help him up. Just zero guys on the roster in the middle ground who are leaders. No Ramon Fosters, Larry Footes, Vince Williams, Ryan Clarks, Brett Keisels., etc. and it is a problem.
Well yeah. It’s a different generation/era as well.

The nfl paid handsomely back then, but with all the hoopla surrounding cte this, short career that, player safety. You’re just not going to get old school type of guys regularly.

Add in insane contracts and sunny destinations like LA, Tampa, Miami, **** even Vegas. Players chase the contracts now. Championships are for show

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, with Cowher...

Dick Lebeau, Dom Capers, Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Arians (Originally a Cowher hire), Marvin Lewis (Ok, he sucked, but he WAS promoted outside the Steelers.)

I'm sure there are more, but even that blows Tomlin out of the water.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Mostly agree but it wasn’t the offense that allowed over 40 points in each of our last three playoff games.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, with Cowher...

Dick Lebeau, Dom Capers, Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Arians (Originally a Cowher hire), Marvin Lewis (Ok, he sucked, but he WAS promoted outside the Steelers.)

I'm sure there are more, but even that blows Tomlin out of the water.
Mike Mularky.

Reactions: wig

diver

Reaction score
Tomlin was actually right when he said game plans are irrelevant. The game plan last night ended up being irrelevant. The Chiefs are such a clearly better team then the Steelers the greatest gameplan in the world doesn't change things. The question Tomlin and the FO need to answer is why that is? What are they doing in player evaluation and schemes that there was such a clear disparity in the two teams?

I liked the at the end of the article about the fact that the Steelers need to quit deluding themselves. I have thought over the years that the Steelers believe their own lies far too often. So do I, which is fine. I'd rather approach every year with a positive attitude and hope. But they have to stop doing it.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin was actually right when he said game plans are irrelevant. The game plan last night ended up being irrelevant. The Chiefs are such a clearly better team then the Steelers the greatest gameplan in the world doesn't change things. The question Tomlin and the FO need to answer is why that is? What are they doing in player evaluation and schemes that there was such a clear disparity in the two teams?

I liked the at the end of the article about the fact that the Steelers need to quit deluding themselves. I have thought over the years that the Steelers believe their own lies far too often. So do I, which is fine. I'd rather approach every year with a positive attitude and hope. But they have to stop doing it.
Tomlin is a do what we do coach, if the other team stops it then we're screwed, he's not an x's and o's guy, not much for adjustments. Just look at the Buffalo game last season, it's 10-9 at halftime or something like that, Tomlin goes into halftime talking about better execution and players playing better, McDermott goes into half time saying we have alot of adjustments to make, they come in the second half and their RB is killing us out of the backfield and suddenly Diggs is in motion and getting free releases. They made obvious changes at halftime, even though they were winning, we did zero and got blown out the second half.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Diver, given the fact that Tomlin has said on record, many times, that the doesn't believe in teaching players to improve at their positions, it isn't difficult at all to see how players rarely show marked improvement under him. Sure, they occasionally get complete freaks through the draft or rarely through FA, but how often do players develop into stars?

It took Bud Dupree 5 years and constant double-teams on the other side to have a somewhat respectable season. I honestly can't think offhand of a single player that has markedly "improved" under Tomlin. I'm sure somebody has, but I can't think of him.

Tomlin doesn't believe professional athletes need to be coached. They simply need a defensive or offensive call and then they are to go out and use their god-given talent to beat their man. If that doesn't work, obviously it isn't Mike Tomlin's fault.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin is a do what we do coach, if the other team stops it then we're screwed, he's not an x's and o's guy, not much for adjustments. Just look at the Buffalo game last season, it's 10-9 at halftime or something like that, Tomlin goes into halftime talking about better execution and players playing better, McDermott goes into half time saying we have alot of adjustments to make, they come in the second half and their RB is killing us out of the backfield and suddenly Diggs is in motion and getting free releases. They made obvious changes at halftime, even though they were winning, we did zero and got blown out the second half.
McDermott has two good coordinators who are both getting head coaching interview this week. I still can't get over Tomlin took the ball first after winning the toss when we haven't been productive in the first half all season. Hard to expect the team to make adjustments when we can't even get the coin toss correct.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
McDermott has two good coordinators who are both getting head coaching interview this week. I still can't get over Tomlin took the ball first after winning the toss when we haven't been productive in the first half all season. Hard to expect the team to make adjustments when we can't even get the coin toss correct.
agreed, and that's the issue, it's not like we have 2nd year head coach, this is year 15, I'd be just happy to hear Tomlin mention we have to make adjustments.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Mostly agree but it wasn’t the offense that allowed over 40 points in each of our last three playoff games.
No but it was the offense that continuously that gave the defense a 20 second break between series. You can't even expect a defense stocked with the 11 best players of all time backed up by the next best 11 of all time to stop teams when they stop a offense, go to the bench and sit down for 3 plays and have to go right back out to stop an offense again cause our Offense cant give them more then 3 downs for a break. An all madden all world all everything that is anything defense will get tired quickly having to be out there every time. This defense has been being let down by the offense for a long time now.