• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Paul Zeise: Steelers' standard under Mike Tomlin has been lowered

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When your coach is asked about how effective he thought the gameplan may have been and he says something to the effect of "gameplans are irrelevant." you know you are dealing with a guy who doesn't understand his job.

Sideline reporter: "Coach, you're losing 26-0 at halftime. What changes are you planning for the 2nd half?"

Tomlin: "We don't have to change anything, we just have to execute better."

Uhh, no, when you're losing a brazillion to nothing at half repeatedly, YOU NEED TO CHANGE A LOT OF THINGS.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Every Steeler fan as watched this team deuterate to a team that has no identity, no discipline, lost all physicality. What is more shocking is the ownership has watched and ignored what Tomlin has done. Prime Tomlin, Juju did not want to be here, he signed for a year, hurt, Tomlin starts him last night. Now JUJU wants to stay when he is not worth a dollar in contract from other team and mark my words Tomlin will sign him. Remember we allow no ransom talk; well we will see.

Jsc825

Reaction score
McDermott has two good coordinators who are both getting head coaching interview this week. I still can't get over Tomlin took the ball first after winning the toss when we haven't been productive in the first half all season. Hard to expect the team to make adjustments when we can't even get the coin toss correct.
Agree, any real Steelers fan knew that taking the ball first after winning the toss was a huge mistake, showed the HC was not ready for game

That said, I fell into the fantasy that they might have something up their sleeve, come out with a long drive, keep Malhomes off the field, end with 3 or 7 points
NOPE, same ****...3 & out!

Really showcased how clueless the HC and OC were, plus no player prep or practice happened the past week
The Standard

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin has been coaching for 15 years. He's NEVER had a losing season. He is universally viewed as one of the top 3 or 5 coaches in the NFL by most talking heads.

Not one single Tomlin protege has EVER advanced their career outside of Pittsburgh.

Ever.
We can thank thank the woke and clueless media for promoting Tomlin as a top 5 coach. Apparently all you have to do well in their eyes is talk tough and look a certain way. Fake news indeed ..

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is a do what we do coach, if the other team stops it then we're screwed, he's not an x's and o's guy, not much for adjustments. Just look at the Buffalo game last season, it's 10-9 at halftime or something like that, Tomlin goes into halftime talking about better execution and players playing better, McDermott goes into half time saying we have alot of adjustments to make, they come in the second half and their RB is killing us out of the backfield and suddenly Diggs is in motion and getting free releases. They made obvious changes at halftime, even though they were winning, we did zero and got blown out the second half.
It’s been said around here the guy never makes adjustments. The Rooney’s seem content with it though

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers are the worst zone defenders I have seen in the NFL. The defenders stand on a piece of grass guarding that lawn and ignore a receiver 10' away. Time after time after time after time. I guess the theory is that they are to wait until the ball is in the air before moving.

Great idea. Works so ... wait, 171 points in four playoff games?

Never mind.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s been said around here the guy never makes adjustments. The Rooney’s seem content with it though

The Rooneys make $150 million per year, win or lose. Why should they give a **** how well the team is doing?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Rooneys make $150 million per year, win or lose. Why should they give a **** how well the team is doing?
Yeah they don’t lol.
If that was me. I’d let y’alls ***** about the team record lol. Fans still give me $150 million to be mediocre.

I need to become part of their family

Jsc825

Reaction score
I don’t think Tomlin should be fired, but I have to ask what exactly the Steelers’ standard is these days and why I am I supposed to wax poetic about the fact he “never had a losing season?”

Paul Z; Typical PGH media
Write a full story about how Tomlin has failed year after year, but say "don't fire him"
Wonder if he could write a full story about why you can't fire Tomlin

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Do they adopt little hispanic workers? Lol.
Just asking for a friend.

His resume includes auto detail, fitness intern
3.2 gpa at UGA and he also knows how to drive mack and volvo diesels

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that fans care more about the final score than do a LOT of the players. Most of those guys are wealthy. They get a meager stipend for playoff appearances, but don't really make enough to care.

That is why the population of players who cannot stand to lose, who would rather eat glass than lose, are what define a team. Steelers had one in Ben and now he is gone. Watt, Heyward, Minkah - they are in that category. Steelers roster used to be stocked with guys like that, Ward, Miller, Hartings, Harrison, Troy, Ike.

Now? Devin BusT, Terrell Edmunds, Joe Schoebert, Dan Moore, Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson get paid win or lose, and get paid a lot, so their "I give a ****" meter is basically at zero for the final score.

Compare that to successful teams - the hated Patriots for example. Brady, Gronk, Welker, Harrison, Edelman, Butler, McCourty, Wilfork were all players who would rather win than have a pretty stat line.

A lot of this is game planning and putting players in the best position to succeed, but after another 40 plays of Chase Claypool jogging downfield and waving at a pass, then complaining to the ref, I am done with the guy. He and Johnson look like two old ladies annoyed they are missing "Matlock" because they have to spend 3 1/2 hours in a stadium.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
I hope everyone will remember that Ben Roethlisberger never let Mike Tomlin have a losing season. And also of note, Ben Roethlisberger is the final member of the team that Bill Cowher built. Mike is truly on his own now.

Get some popcorn.

You mean get some Pepto.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that fans care more about the final score than do a LOT of the players. Most of those guys are wealthy. They get a meager stipend for playoff appearances, but don't really make enough to care.

That is why the population of players who cannot stand to lose, who would rather eat glass than lose, are what define a team. Steelers had one in Ben and now he is gone. Watt, Heyward, Minkah - they are in that category. Steelers roster used to be stocked with guys like that, Ward, Miller, Hartings, Harrison, Troy, Ike.

Now? Devin BusT, Terrell Edmunds, Joe Schoebert, Dan Moore, Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson get paid win or lose, and get paid a lot, so their "I give a ****" meter is basically at zero for the final score.

Compare that to successful teams - the hated Patriots for example. Brady, Gronk, Welker, Harrison, Edelman, Butler, McCourty, Wilfork were all players who would rather win than have a pretty stat line.

A lot of this is game planning and putting players in the best position to succeed, but after another 40 plays of Chase Claypool jogging downfield and waving at a pass, then complaining to the ref, I am done with the guy. He and Johnson look like two old ladies annoyed they are missing "Matlock" because they have to spend 3 1/2 hours in a stadium.
Free agency, contracts, league growth and player safety have watered down the sport.

There are TJ Watts, Cam Heywards etc but most guys are all business. And honestly I don’t blame them. When you’re presented an opportunity to make millions in your early 20’s and have a chance to escape with minimal injuries and working brain cells. You say peace.

Us fans do put a lot more stock in the team. I wasn’t until my youngest bro called me out on my fandom that I realized how trivial sports are in the grand scheme of things. That said I will continue to root for the Steelers, Pens. But much like any I realize they are corporations first. As long as merch sales. The owners are happy

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Tomlin has never been a good coach. He's been a lucky one because of what he inherited his first 5 years. There's one reason and one reason only that this clown still has a job and that reason is f'n BULLSHIT!
and what would that reason

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy 's Packers beat Tomlin's Steelers in the SB. McCarthy was fired. He went to the Cowboys. And guess what he still sucks. Yet these assclowns think Tomlin is gonna get it back. Well unless he gets his original coaching staff back he will not. He doesn't posses the knowledge required himself.

steelhurt

Reaction score
When your coach is asked about how effective he thought the gameplan may have been and he says something to the effect of "gameplans are irrelevant." you know you are dealing with a guy who doesn't understand his job.
Wiggy, I got to say that that statement by Tomlin blew me away. Wtf does that mean? The game plan is irrelevant meaning so what, its just a game plan that doesn't really matter as long as we execute. This guy's logic and thought process scares the hell out of me and now he's going to decide who our next QB will be.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Wiggy, I got to say that that statement by Tomlin blew me away. Wtf does that mean? The game plan is irrelevant meaning so what, its just a game plan that doesn't really matter as long as we execute. This guy's logic and thought process scares the hell out of me and now he's going to decide who our next QB will be.
That's the problem with him, he doesn't seem to understand that the other teams gameplan/scheme may just stop yours and you're not going to be able to execute your game plan every time. That's the "we do what we do" attitude of his.

diver

Reaction score
I never really liked the adjustments argument. We have no damn clue what goes on in the locker room. C'mon, we have all played sports at some level or another. We all know that when a team plays better, a lot of times it is just that, they play better.

McDermott was mentioned here. ****, I watch the Bills sometimes and I think I'm watching the Steelers. McDermott to me is an OK coach...nothing special. He just has a very talented QB who can make something out of nothing. Remind you of someone in their youth?

The problem with Tomlin seems to be the original plan too often. Maybe if the original plan was better...

diver

Reaction score
Diver, given the fact that Tomlin has said on record, many times, that the doesn't believe in teaching players to improve at their positions, it isn't difficult at all to see how players rarely show marked improvement under him. Sure, they occasionally get complete freaks through the draft or rarely through FA, but how often do players develop into stars?

It took Bud Dupree 5 years and constant double-teams on the other side to have a somewhat respectable season. I honestly can't think offhand of a single player that has markedly "improved" under Tomlin. I'm sure somebody has, but I can't think of him.

Tomlin doesn't believe professional athletes need to be coached. They simply need a defensive or offensive call and then they are to go out and use their god-given talent to beat their man. If that doesn't work, obviously it isn't Mike Tomlin's fault.
He has said this? When? And if he did, why he wasn't fired at that moment I have no idea.

That is the whole object of being a coach. To help players improve.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I never really liked the adjustments argument. We have no damn clue what goes on in the locker room. C'mon, we have all played sports at some level or another. We all know that when a team plays better, a lot of times it is just that, they play better.

McDermott was mentioned here. ****, I watch the Bills sometimes and I think I'm watching the Steelers. McDermott to me is an OK coach...nothing special. He just has a very talented QB who can make something out of nothing. Remind you of someone in their youth?

The problem with Tomlin seems to be the original plan too often. Maybe if the original plan was better...
I'm not saying McDermott is a coaching god, but even when winning at halftime, he knew they needed to make adjustments and said as much, we were shutting their offense down big time, we kept doing what we were doing and they made adjustments and it was clear as day.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Doesn't believe in teaching players to improve. Doesn't think the game plan matters. Doesn't call the defense or offense..........🙄🙄🙄