• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger subtle digs

FordFairLane

Reaction score
A couple weeks back Bill Cowher interviewed Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger stated he wished he could have played under Cowher longer because of what they might have accomplished. He did say he’s lucky to have two awesome coaches but the fact he knows they’d have accomplished more is a dig. Then last night during the post game interview he mentioned Dan Rooney and doing it the “Steelers way” and completely ignored Art the piece of deuce.

My take is he knows it starts at the top. Art II isn’t the guy to put together a super bowl caliber team. Tomlin, who I do believe with all my heart is probably a very nice coach. A coach players like. A decent coach. But he’s not a “great” coach. He got put into a very good situation but as that team aged he’s not been able to put together the quality of team to win a championship and hell not even a playoff game.

I believe Art is cheap and won’t fire a coach as he’d have to pay a guy for not coaching until the contract ran out. So he’ll deal with mediocrity. Point proof look at our past 4 offensive coordinators. And the fact Matt Canada has a job this morning. I have almost no doubt he is the OC kickoff next year.

The sad part is what do we do about it? Nothing. I remember hearing about Mike Brown and the cheap *** ways he ran the Bengals and how in reality he was mostly to blame for the lack of winning. Now as he’s loosened his grip on the team they look to have a bright future. I just hope we don’t have 30 years of that.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I've said it before, Art II is first and foremost a businessman, period. He does not share the same passion as his dad and grandfather had for years where they lived and breathed Steelers football. Sure, I think Art II cares whether they win or lose but its not his priority. As long as the seats are filled, the Steeler gear keeps selling, the fan base stays rabid, the TV money keeps poring in, Art II is a very happy man. He likes Tomlin and thinks he has a premier coach so abandon any thoughts of that marriage ending until Tomlin has had enough and made enough money. It does start at the top and unfortunately we have an owner that mimics the Bengals Mike Brown or at least the old Mike Brown if you remember held on to Marvin Lewis forever. Tomlin is Marvin recreated in Pittsburgh having winning seasons but collapses in the playoffs. This owner head coach duo reminds me so much of what they had in Cincy for years and they never won ****. so much

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Won't happen. Ben's a Steeler. He's the last of the old guard. And Cam is the last guy who played with guys from the old guard.
This is money. They talk about the Steelers way and Steelers tough and defense and physicality. That is mostly lore at this point.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
A couple weeks back Bill Cowher interviewed Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger stated he wished he could have played under Cowher longer because of what they might have accomplished. He did say he’s lucky to have two awesome coaches but the fact he knows they’d have accomplished more is a dig. Then last night during the post game interview he mentioned Dan Rooney and doing it the “Steelers way” and completely ignored Art the piece of deuce.

My take is he knows it starts at the top. Art II isn’t the guy to put together a super bowl caliber team. Tomlin, who I do believe with all my heart is probably a very nice coach. A coach players like. A decent coach. But he’s not a “great” coach. He got put into a very good situation but as that team aged he’s not been able to put together the quality of team to win a championship and hell not even a playoff game.

I believe Art is cheap and won’t fire a coach as he’d have to pay a guy for not coaching until the contract ran out. So he’ll deal with mediocrity. Point proof look at our past 4 offensive coordinators. And the fact Matt Canada has a job this morning. I have almost no doubt he is the OC kickoff next year.

The sad part is what do we do about it? Nothing. I remember hearing about Mike Brown and the cheap *** ways he ran the Bengals and how in reality he was mostly to blame for the lack of winning. Now as he’s loosened his grip on the team they look to have a bright future. I just hope we don’t have 30 years of that.
That's great except with context we can see that you are just projecting. Cowher said, "Even though I only coached you for 3 years...yada...yada..." Then Ben said that he wished he had been around longer so their relationship could have developed as more mature men. And that's because Ben ignored chin when he told him not to ride his bike without a helmet, then Big Dummy went and smashed his big Neanderthal melon into a moving windshield...that'll show him! He was just saying he wishes Cowher could see the persona he's created for himself now..that's all. No dig at Tomlin at all. He was just praising Cowher after Cowher told him Ben had a special place in his heart.

And he mentioned Dan because every player viewed Dan as the patriarch of the team when they are younger..ask Ike Taylor about "pops." Ike Taylor had a special relationship with Dan and was the only Steeler player to be asked to be a pallbearer for Dan...think about that..not Bettis, not Ben, not any of the other young greats.

But we get it, guys like you hate Art because he won't fire MT, and we hate MT more than anything else. Full circle, full projection made up out of what's not there. Congratulations.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
This is money. They talk about the Steelers way and Steelers tough and defense and physicality. That is mostly lore at this point.
Yep. Completely agree. Proud tradition and standards (aka "the Steeler Way") is a thing of the past. 3/4 of our roster should be let go and our entire coaching staff should be shown the door this off-season. When people talk about the Steelers being a tough, gritty team, they're referencing rosters of years gone by, not our (mostly) modern day primadonnas that are coached by a weak ***, ineffective coach.

I know it won't happen, but TJ, Cam, Minkah, Pat, and Najee aside, I say burn it to the ground and start fresh in 2022.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Yep. Completely agree. Proud tradition and standards (aka "the Steeler Way") is a thing of the past. 3/4 of our roster should be let go and our entire coaching staff should be shown the door this off-season. When people talk about the Steelers being a tough, gritty team, they're referencing rosters of years gone by, not our (mostly) modern day primadonnas that are coached by a weak ***, ineffective coach.

I know it won't happen, but TJ, Cam, Minkah, Pat, and Najee aside, I say burn it to the ground and start fresh in 2022.
That NFL doesn't exist anymore, hasn't for a while now...Let me guess, you are a time traveler?

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
He steps... from one user name to the next does that count?
Sure why not. I just can't believe people think the Steelers can play like they used to when the NFL clearly made an example of James Harrison to show the "kindler gentler NFL." In other words; the NFL that doesnt want to be liable now that the direct link has been made by medical researchers to concussions and CTE.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure why not. I just can't believe people think the Steelers can play like they used to when the NFL clearly made an example of James Harrison to show the "kindler gentler NFL." In other words; the NFL that doesnt want to be liable now that the direct link has been made by medical researchers to concussions and CTE.
This NFL is changing as fans are changing. Different crowd they are trying to appeal to. Fantasy football fans...

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
I guess you can stretch anything.

He singled out Dan Rooney because Dan was somewhat of a father figure to him. Not so with Art II.
He told Cowher he wished he had played longer with him because Cowher was right there talking to him.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh Dan Rooney is the only reason we have the success we do… hexwas raised in the Steelers locker room, acted as a scout, learned all the ins and outs of the game and was instrumental in building the scouting department more thoroughly than any other club.

Art sr was a big softy and everyone loved him, but had he never turgid control over to Dan, this team is always losers… Dans the guy who stopped the practice of trading high picks for washed up vets to appease coaches… he found Noll, who shared his passion for building through the draft and developing guys… he rarely interjected in football decisions but when he did it was usually super impactful…

And yes, as a small market club, the Steelers play things cheap sometimes, but tgey aren’t the bengals… they don’t skimp on scouting nor do they have a severely undersized staff or front office…

Ar2 did get to come up through the team too, but he is a lawyer and yeah he probably focuses more on the business side and injects himself into football decisions more than dan did

He definitely reversed the policy on bringing ex Steelers back after cutting ties with them.. it’s happened more and more since he started getting more say in the team

He also has let us trade more picks for players… which has been a mixed bag…

Cowher had his own flaws just like Tomlin does… they were just different… i think cowhers time was up in 06 much like i think the team needs to move past Tomlin now… Noll was a hell of a coach, but realistically he overstayed his time here.. 15 years is probably a good cap on one coach for one team