• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pittsburgh “has a plan” for their future QB

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
To say that their is doubt inside and outside the Pittsburgh Steelers organization that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is going to retire, is an understatement. Remember a few weeks back at the video when Roethlisberger came out and said to reporters that all signs were pointing to the January 3rd home game being the last one of his career. Even before that, there were definitely rumors about the departure but nothing where Roethlisberger made any indication.

With the season coming to a close, there was a report put out about what the Steelers plan to do for their quarterback next year. There were multiple people “close” to the Steelers organization who spoke with NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport, saying that the team has a plan. According to the report, the two current backups Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins will have to compete and fight it out between the two of them for the starting job. This looks like the most probable way forward since the team may not have the ability to find a replacement elsewhere.

If the Steelers want to find a quarterback not currently on the roster, they can either try free agency or the upcoming NFL Draft in late April. The lowest they can pick in the draft is 19th and they will have over $40 million in cap space. The top quarterbacks available in free agency include Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, and Tyrod Taylor. It does not seem like the best replacement for the team is in free agency.

The list of questions and concerns for the storied franchise are only just beginning. I believed Roethlisberger would have retired a year or too ago, but it is insane how long he has lasted. It is hard to replace a first-ballot Hall of Famer by trying to get a same-caliber player the next year. Without a top 10 pick, the team most likely won’t find the Aaron Rodgers to their Brett Favre. Much of the focus the next season will most likely involve a new quarterback who either already is a part of the team, or a new arrival.

What should the Steelers do moving forward in your opinion? Let me know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jamis Winston but first we need to alert the local groceries stores............................................... J/K

I'd focus on both "O" & "D" lines this year unless the right deal can be made. Definitely not trade the farm draft capital.

Rumor is next year's QB class is a better and deeper crop. CB is deep this year so maybe a 3rd there with 1 & 2 going to line duty.

Salute the nation

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Wilson tweeting up a storm about Steelers. Make it so MT...make it so.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
those two tweets since January 1 are filled with an over-abundance of Steelers love

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I know I have said this already in other spots but I think it needs repeated. We need to sink or swim with Mason next for better or worse. If he succeeds great if he doesn't he becomes the guy who replaced Ben everyone hates and the next guy gets a free pass from the fans for awhile with no pressure.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I still like and hope they try and sign Mitch Trubisky in FA. Don’t have to give up anything for him and wouldn’t think he would be very expensive. He’s mobile, has a big arm and has success with the Bears. Former pro bowl QB with a couple playoff appearances to his resume. Good TD/Int ratio too.
I think he could run Canada’s offense since I believe we’re keeping him and he’s better than the two guys we currently have on the roster. That’s what I would do.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Jamis Winston but first we need to alert the local groceries stores............................................... J/K

I'd focus on both "O" & "D" lines this year unless the right deal can be made. Definitely not trade the farm draft capital.

Rumor is next year's QB class is a better and deeper crop. CB is deep this year so maybe a 3rd there with 1 & 2 going to line duty.

Salute the nation
Naw.

I’d go with Trubisky

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
A report states that we have a plan in place. The plan is that our 2 back ups will have to fight it out.....and/or they could bring in a FA or draft someone......go figure. Who would have thought? Smh

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
A report states that we have a plan in place. The plan is that our 2 back ups will have to fight it out.....and/or they could bring in a FA or draft someone......go figure. Who would have thought? Smh

Think that covers all options. One thing is for sure, someone will be bitching about whatever is done

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Disappointed by the misleading title... "Pittsburgh has a plan"??

Whats the plan?
All the article mentioned were possibilities and options...the same options already talked about amongst us a zillion times.

I posted a near identical thread yesterday and was told that it didn't warrant its own thread. lol

KnowMoreThanYou

Reaction score
There is a LOT of trash being thrown at the Steelers coordinators.

First, let's go Offense.

Matt Canada is a coach who's playbook was never designed for a QB like Big Ben. He uses play action, RPO and mobile plays. That's why Mike Tomlin said he wants a mobile QB. Canada wasn't able to use a big chunk of his plays because they didnt fit into Bens skill set.

Ben had very little deep accuracy. With the importance of getting a quick release, there were very few times that the WR's had the time to run a deep route.
When your QB can't throw deep, it allows the Safeties to stay shallow. This allows the LB's to stay home and defend the short passes and running game. Opposing D-Line wouldnt have to pass rush because the Defense had 8-10 Defenders within 10 yards from the ball. With no play action, the defense could just sit at position and wait for the play to come to them.

Defense
Keith Butler is going to retire, but he is taking a lot more blame than he deserves.
For starters, our D-Line had so many injuries that most teams would have a hard time recovering. Tuitt and Alualu spent most of the year on IR. Not much depth after 2/3 DT are gone. Hard to stop the run when you don't have any DT's.
A lot of people don't seem to realize the HORRIBLE position the Offense left the Defense in. Pittsburgh ranked 24th in Time of Possession. The longer the Offense has the ball, the harder it is to stop them. When you have a QB that can't keep the TOP in your teams favor? You give too many opportunities to the other team.

Yes, there are a variety of defeciencies for the Steelers, not saying there aren't. But, this is a core issue that will change when we have a QB that will force the opposing Defense to respect the deep ball.

The Steelers have $42 million in cap space for 2022. There are 12-15 free agents, most will be resigned for league minimum. That will leave about $30 million in cap space.

There is a lot of speculation we will trade for Rogers, Wilson or one of the many others we are rumored to be interested in. Not sure I see that happening. I think Pittsburgh will draft a QB in the first round, maybe even trade up for one.

Look at the mobile QB's to get an idea who will be our pick going forward.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

First, let's go Offense.

Matt Canada is a coach who's playbook was never designed for a QB like Big Ben. He uses play action, RPO and mobile plays. That's why Mike Tomlin said he wants a mobile QB. Canada wasn't able to use a big chunk of his plays because they didnt fit into Bens skill set.

Ben had very little deep accuracy. With the importance of getting a quick release, there were very few times that the WR's had the time to run a deep route.
When your QB can't throw deep, it allows the Safeties to stay shallow. This allows the LB's to stay home and defend the short passes and running game. Opposing D-Line wouldnt have to pass rush because the Defense had 8-10 Defenders within 10 yards from the ball. With no play action, the defense could just sit at position and wait for the play to come to them.

Defense
Keith Butler is going to retire, but he is taking a lot more blame than he deserves.
For starters, our D-Line had so many injuries that most teams would have a hard time recovering. Tuitt and Alualu spent most of the year on IR. Not much depth after 2/3 DT are gone. Hard to stop the run when you don't have any DT's.
A lot of people don't seem to realize the HORRIBLE position the Offense left the Defense in. Pittsburgh ranked 24th in Time of Possession. The longer the Offense has the ball, the harder it is to stop them. When you have a QB that can't keep the TOP in your teams favor? You give too many opportunities to the other team.

Yes, there are a variety of defeciencies for the Steelers, not saying there aren't. But, this is a core issue that will change when we have a QB that will force the opposing Defense to respect the deep ball.

The Steelers have $42 million in cap space for 2022. There are 12-15 free agents, most will be resigned for league minimum. That will leave about $30 million in cap space.

There is a lot of speculation we will trade for Rogers, Wilson or one of the many others we are rumored to be interested in. Not sure I see that happening. I think Pittsburgh will draft a QB in the first round, maybe even trade up for one.

there is absolutely nothing in this post that has not been repeated many times by many different posters.

if you want to start a thread come up with something new

otherwise throw your thoughts into one of the many repeat threads

TheDudeAbides

Reformed Lurker
Reaction score
I think any decent FA QB would be nuts to come to Pittsburgh to play behind our OL. Everyone agrees that Ben is a first ballot HOFer, but he couldn't do much behind this OL, and neither will anyone else. Rodgers? Please! He's a great QB, but why would he want to come here and start running for his life at the snap at this point in his career? Wilson is more mobile, but the same applies. I just don't see it happening.

I REALLY don't like the QB class for this coming draft. One or two may round out to be reliable NFL starters, but most have project and career backup written all over them. No, thank you!

I agree with those rare, few posters above me who see this year as an opportunity to sure up our lines, the CB position, safety, and maybe ILB. Spillane is a warrior, but he is not a long term answer there. Bush will get another year to see if he can rebound from the knee. I think we also need that change up RB to spell Harris and give defenses something else to game plan for.

I think we pick IOL and CB very early, then fill out the card at OT, DT, ILB, RB. An FA Wr who can stretch the field a bit would be nice too.

AND, I think that there may be a person or two in the FO thinking we already have that first round QB on the team. And he comes with NFL experience, knows the team, knows the playbook... Don't be surprised.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It's what I would do. Not because I think highly of Rudolph and Haskins (even though he is a FA). But I just don't want to pull off some half *** trade for an aging star like Wilson costing multiple first rounds and a ton of cap space on extending his contract. I'd rather see what they have and if it sucks then draft high in '23 which must be a better class.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Say NO to any QB that is going to cost us a No. 1 pick unless he is around 30, give or take a year. The draft capital and cap hit would mean we don't rebuild the OL and DL in the next year or two, along with the rest of the team needs.

Bluesteel

Reaction score
I’m in the camp that would like to see a run at Trubisky. Mobile, with decent size, similarly built like Mahomes… not saying he’s Mahomes, but one can wonder what would have happened if Chicago took Mahomes and KC Trubisky? Would Nagy have destroyed Mahomes early development?

Trubisky showed flashes in Chicago and has now had a year to sit behind a young up-and-comer, along with the exposure to an OC that was instrumental in Allen taking the next step.

Trubisky is currently on a 1 year deal as Allen’s backup and shouldn’t break the bank, being an immediate upgrade over Rudolph and Haskins.

Let’s see what Canada can do with a QB built fir his offense, since we are stuck with him anyway!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Why? The Steelers are farther than a QB away from anything resembling a contender. No point in wasting big money on a guy like Wilson when the team around him isn't good enough to do much.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In many mock drafts, I see the Steelers taking an OT (Penning, preferably).
However, as we've seen through the years, our draft pick could be very affected by stupid picks ahead of us.

All that taken into consideration, the only two QBs worth consideration in the first would be Corral (Ole Miss) and Pickett (Pitt). Though Corral reminds me of Mariota and Pickett reminds me of Jimmy G. Both those guys can be had in free agency. But to get them, we'd have to likely add a guy or two on the OL to entice any FA QB to come here.

And, there should be a sense of urgency in getting a QB, since we have a lot of parts that are aging on defense. We had too many years of Ben's career wasted, and I'd rather not see us waste the careers of Fitzpatrick, Watt, and Heyward on defense and Harris and Muth on offense while we try to figure **** out.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If by trash you mean truth,......... then you are absolutely right

First, let's go Offense.

Ben's skill set is what a GOOD offensive OC should be enhancing. Round peg square hole syndrome. Canada had all season to make or incorporate adjustments yet didn't. Why no audibles at all for 1/4 of the season? Why handcuff your HOF QB when clearly what he calls works ? All answers inquiring minds want to know?

Ben showed all throws and accuracy needed, how do you explain the come from behind victories or near victories ?
NO QB is going to throw deep ball when the defense knows your plays. Canada's play calling projected the play, easy peezy (NOT Joey) if I could be right 60% of the time then the opposing professional defense would be right 85-90% of the time.

Defense

I won't go into all the deficiencies of the rest of this statement but many here will agree on the holes this statement has and not just on our defense.

Salute the nation