• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Official 'benson gets banned thread

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Rooney isnt the sole owner. The Rooneys own like 30% of the team… the other owners are usually silent but they can force a move if they get fed up…
Only 30 percent? I would have never guessed that.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In response to Ron:
I can't think of any phase of the game that has improved over the last 15 years. Everything has gotten worse.
There have been some improvements over time. I believe when Haley took over the offense, there really was an improvement in the overall consistency and efficacy of the offense. And we did see that season where the defense was pretty dominant after MT literally got 9 or 10 1st rounders all assembled on the same side of the ball. (Although that improvement really was a bit short-lived.)

What there is not, is a consistent trajectory of improvement. And I know that's hard with a roster that sees some change every single year. It really is sad that the 2020 season was allowed to derail so badly. Even though the team wasn't as good as the 11-0 record suggested, they also weren't as bad as the 1-5 finish either. The end of the 2020 season was a master-class in defenses figuring out what your team is doing and countering it while you do absolutely nothing different.

Of course we didn't know until nearly the end that Pouncey and DeCastro were basically crippled and were playing at about 50% on a good day. That certainly didn't help. Add in the fact that Johnson and Ebron somehow got into a fight about who could drop more balls and things spiraled quickly.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Rooney isnt the sole owner. The Rooneys own like 30% of the team… the other owners are usually silent but they can force a move if they get fed up…
They can but I don't believe they have to this point. They leave the operations side to Rooney. They're just in it for the money so as long as they are making money, they probably won't say anything.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
In response to Ron:

There have been some improvements over time. I believe when Haley took over the offense, there really was an improvement in the overall consistency and efficacy of the offense. And we did see that season where the defense was pretty dominant after MT literally got 9 or 10 1st rounders all assembled on the same side of the ball. (Although that improvement really was a bit short-lived.)

What there is not, is a consistent trajectory of improvement. And I know that's hard with a roster that sees some change every single year. It really is sad that the 2020 season was allowed to derail so badly. Even though the team wasn't as good as the 11-0 record suggested, they also weren't as bad as the 1-5 finish either. The end of the 2020 season was a master-class in defenses figuring out what your team is doing and countering it while you do absolutely nothing different.

Of course we didn't know until nearly the end that Pouncey and DeCastro were basically crippled and were playing at about 50% on a good day. That certainly didn't help. Add in the fact that Johnson and Ebron somehow got into a fight about who could drop more balls and things spiraled quickly.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Many Pittsburgh folks out there are acting as if their Steelers are just now beginning to have problems when that could not be further from the truth. As previously established in the original piece, the franchise has had one AFC title game appearance in the last decade; it has also struggled to maintain its status as a playoff power in recent seasons.

Oh, but that doesn’t matter, because it is a Steelers “tradition” to not fire coaches (yes, I was actually told that on multiple occasions). There is another Steelers tradition that I like more, though, and that is actually winning.

Steelers fans need to admit Tomlin’s shortcomings​

In regards to winning, Tomlin actually has a higher career winning percentage (.643) than both Chuck Noll (.566) and Bill Cowher (.623), so congrats to him for that. However, when it comes to postseason winning percentages (where winning is, obviously, the most important), Tomlin has the lowest of the three.

Along with that, he also easily has the least amount of playoff appearances. His amount of time with the organization cannot be used as an excuse, as this year is Tomlin’s 14th in Pittsburgh (which matches the number of years Cowher was there).

The real legacy-tarnishing fact for me, though, is that Mike Tomlin has never won with stars that he acquired.

While Noll and Cowher both took over for losing teams with noticeably-less talent, Tomlin inherited a squad that had just won Super Bowl XL less than two years prior.

Some notable players on the Super Bowl XLIII roster (the only roster that Tomlin has ever won with) include Ben Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, James Harrison, Troy Polamalu, and Ike Taylor. What do all of those guys (and more) have in common? They were all acquired by Bill Cowher.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Sticking by my “joe tomlin” listen to Biden’s speech you would wonder if coach didnt write it for him “ I didnt over promise but I did over perform“ when speaking to his first year in office. He’s currently at 33 percent approval but he doesn’t believe in polls. man where have we heard that delusional happy horseshit before? The fans were gutted by the playoff lose like we always are but joe tomlin was all excited about moving on and rounded up the next qb! Oh ya we sukd balls all year but the Rooney’s don’t get a **** so *** you and on with business! And the fans eat it all up! Come o n man!!!!

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Listen, we don’t let the sack impact the pack. The shades be fine, when ib having da wine. My coaches are great, cause they cover my mistakes. Canada da man, told me he got a plan.
Watch out..if you keep posting racist stuff like that I might get banned.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This isn’t accurate. Rooney is the Majority Owner. Minority owners have zero control or input over the franchise. They just cash in their dividends. Primary reason why Tepper and Haslam sold their shares and bought CAR and CLE when they became available. They wanted control input.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is optimistic about offensive coordinator Matt Canada’s ability to run the Pittsburgh Steelers offense going forward. But is team president/owner Art Rooney II?

That’s who Canada’s future in Pittsburgh could depend on, according to Steelers insider Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

And Dulac uses the Bruce Arians precedent as an example of Rooney’s power over who stays and who doesn’t in Pittsburgh.

All of that went down in 2012 — three Arians head coach gigs ago — so let’s recap.

• The day after his team got Tim Tebow’ed in the 2011 wild card round, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin declared that Arians would remain in his role as offensive coordinator.
  • Two weeks later, Tomlin made the following statement: “Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.”
  • Later that same week, it was revealed that the Steelers forced Arians to retire by not renewing his contract.
  • Eight days after the Steelers announced Arians’ retirement, he joined the Colts as offensive coordinator and, soon, interim head coach.
While Tomlin swore up and down that he made the call on Arians and not Rooney, it’s clear that the final decision was ultimately Rooney’s.

Dulac believes that Rooney could pull rank again and show Canada the door.

In a January 21 chat, Dulac reminded Steelers fans (on two occasions) that Rooney stepped in to give Arians the old heave-ho when Tomlin — and Ben Roethlisberger — wanted the coordinator to remain in Pittsburgh.

Blame Canada or blame the personnel, the offensive scheme was severely flawed in 2021. How the Pittsburgh Steelers attempt to recover will undoubtedly be the most-watched storyline of the offseason.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think anything will happen. Coach Tomlin is here at least the length of his contract. OC O'h Canada seems safe for his length of contract with I believe after this coming season is up. The HC has all the excuses in place for giving Canada this one season shot and I bet Art Duece buys into it. Don't sell Art 2 short as he is a football man, not his dad but still knows more than we do.

Salute the natiob

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Coolie fell asleep at the wheel. Coolmeister here is another one for Bob butternuts biscuit collection.😁

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score