• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chris Simms preaches the Canada/Ben Gospel for slow learners

steelreeling

Reaction score
He has thrown some ropes. He just doesn't do it on a regular basis but I think/hope it is a matter of truly being in command of the offense and being the guy.
i looked at back at some of the games and this is so true.

i actually think Ben has another year if he wants it. Because his noodle-arm healed and got firm. He has enough mustard on it, unlike Drew Brees.

Hell, the beginning of the season was a mess of 15 and 20-yard hitch routes over the outside hash marks to the long side of the field!

steelreeling

Reaction score
It isn't physical inability in the Redzone that i am seeing. He can make those throws. It is a sphincter tightening issue close to the goal where he is trying to be too perfect and not just throwing it like he does outside the 20's. If he would just let it rip he would be fine but he is thinking to much down there. Just like DJ when he makes a drop it snowballs on him mentally. Both can be fixed.
here, here

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could have your optimism and ultimately it is a wait and see. Thing is that leash needs to be short and you have to have other options IMO. Have to have multiple baskets of eggs.😁 If they want to let him compete fine. But surround him with competition...
If he fails you don't pull him this coming year you just let him play it out and take the higher pick.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Rudy comes off as a whiny teachers pet

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'll say in the few plays I saw him in this year, the guy impressed me with his mobility. That's a part of his game I hadn't seen previously, and the 2 second and force the ball 3 yards down the field isn't exactly exciting, so who knows what next year will look like?

Joe

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I’m thinking by Week 6 we’ll be wishing Ben played another year.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think one of the things that is being overlooked in all of this because we are so pissed at the mess...one of the great things about the Steelers organization is they are loyal to players. I think their loyalty to Ben caused them to try this. It didn't turn out well, but it reminds me of the early 80s. It is cold blooded to just cut guys who have done so much. They held on to some of those 70s guys a bit too long, and probably did the same here. I'm glad I am a fan of an organization that maybe makes mistakes in that way.
I hear you but then mold the offense around Ben and his strengths.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Rudolph had several opportunities and I do not think he wowed anyone. He was solid at times and terrible at times. There were no moments where i thought to myself Rudolph would be an above average long term starter. He just doesn't seem to have the physical tools to me. Maybe after the weight of playing behind Ben is removed he will improve, but i think it is a long shot. No QB will look good if we keep throwing sideways passes and can't seem to develop NFL route trees. If the team commits to rebuilding the lines and areas of need, and wants to roll with Rudolph or Haskins then that's fine, but i expect our record will suffer.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
No matter who we get short of another HOFer we’re gonna be down on them. We got spoiled for a long time. Anyone too young to remember post Bradshaw is in for a shock. Going from Montana to Young or Favre to Rodgers doesn’t happen often. I’m hopeful but also trying to prepare myself…… it’s not working so far 🤣

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
5-4-1

The standard is the standard.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
No matter who we get short of another HOFer we’re gonna be down on them. We got spoiled for a long time. Anyone too young to remember post Bradshaw is in for a shock. Going from Montana to Young or Favre to Rodgers doesn’t happen often. I’m hopeful but also trying to prepare myself…… it’s not working so far 🤣
It's not the 1980s

bkwheat28

Reaction score
It's not the 1980s

You’re 100% right. I’m just saying franchise quarterbacks don’t grow on trees. The odds of getting one is obviously better now with free agency and the way college programs are ran. But teams like the Jets or Dolphins have not been able to find their next guy even in the 2k’s. I’m hopeful we will be successful, I just think some of our younger fans don’t realize how good they’ve had it.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
On Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph spoke to the media and the focus was on his future role with this team. The pending retirement of Ben Roethlisberger leaves the door wide open for Rudolph to be the team’s starting quarterback in 2022.

This is something Rudolph wants badly and said he’s going into the offseason with a “screw it” mentality and not holding back.

Rudolph’s main competition for the starting spot will be Dwayne Haskins. It’s unlikely the Steelers will dig deep into free agency so it could be Rudolph’s job to lose.

In 10 career starts, Rudolph is 5-4-1. Listening to Rudolph, he sounds very confident and almost seems to be relieved to know Roethlisberger is going to be gone and he can put his own stamp on the offense. He even went so far as to say he will be glad to not be stepping on any toes, which I assume meant Roethlisberger. Rudolph also seems to be on board with the Matt Canada offense.

Oh God....! He's not planning on vacationing down in Georgia with that mentality, is he?:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
You’re 100% right. I’m just saying franchise quarterbacks don’t grow on trees. The odds of getting one is obviously better now with free agency and the way college programs are ran. But teams like the Jets or Dolphins have not been able to find their next guy even in the 2k’s. I’m hopeful we will be successful, I just think some of our younger fans don’t realize how good they’ve had it.
The Jets and Dolphins are terrible organizations. If we don't bring in a vet capable of running the offense and instead go with Mason then I'll take it as a sign the Jets/Dolphins are the new "standard" for us. I will then quickly jump on the F Mike Tomlin bandwagon. While Mason is all right in spurts, if you give him the job you are telegraphing the thought that you have no intention of playing for a championship.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
The Jets and Dolphins are terrible organizations. If we don't bring in a vet capable of running the offense and instead go with Mason then I'll take it as a sign the Jets/Dolphins are the new "standard" for us. I will then quickly jump on the F Mike Tomlin bandwagon. While Mason is all right in spurts, if you give him the job you are telegraphing the thought that you have no intention of playing for a championship.

I think you make solid points. But based on how Steelers have historically done things, the fact we extended Mason, and fact Tomlin sees something in Haskins, I think odds are that’s what’s about to go down. Gonna be an interesting few months……

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
5-4-1

The standard is the standard.

62645h.jpg