• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT: Steelers plan to promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to promote Teryl Austin to defensive coordinator in wake of the retirement of Keith Butler, per NFL insider, Aaron Wilson.

Austin, who has been with the Steelers organization since 2019 as a senior defensive assistant and secondary coach, brings five years experience serving as a defensive coordinator between the Detroit Lions and Cincinnati Bengals.

Steelers are expected to promote senior defensive assistant and secondary coach Teryl Austin to defensive coordinator post vacated by Keith Butler retirement, according to a league source @PFN365

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) January 22, 2022

Austin’s primary area of expertise has been in coaching the secondary and in nearly his 20 years of NFL experience, he served as defensive backs coach on the opposing sideline vs. the Steelers when facing the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL and the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Austin was also the secondary coach of the 2012 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Championship team.

While the announcement has not been made official as of this release, all indicators do point to it being announced officially soon.

Do you agree with the Steelers promotion of Austin, leave a comment below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

steelhurt

Reaction score
Drum roll please! 🥁 Correct me if I’m wrong here boys but isn’t he the same guy who got booted in Detroit and also in Cincy after one year? I think we all knew this was coming anyway so no real surprise. Tomlin will be running the defense anyways.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Drum roll please! 🥁 Correct me if I’m wrong here boys but isn’t he the same guy who got booted in Detroit and also in Cincy after one year? I think we all knew this was coming anyway so no real surprise. Tomlin will be running the defense anyways.

Need a scapegoat for when things go south.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish they would bring in a guy like Sean Desai from the Bears at least for a look. He’s out the John Fox tree Vic fangio said smartest young coach he’s ever worked with he did great job for bears got 18.5 sacks out of a journeyman de for vets min and Deshea Townsend is his secondary coach. that tells a lot there. Hes just a great young coach that is geared up to beat these wiz bang run offenses like Bengal, Browns, and Ravens are hitting us with. Austin just brings nothing new to the table… a coaching staff of Canada, Austin, Tomlin is scary, this could really set the Steelers back hard. We are losing all connection to the past and tomlin has simply not shown that he can provide anything positive to build on. With him calling the worst defense since before Noll was hired and then pushing Butler out like it was his fault is shameless. Ya the offense is making tough transition to new qb blab.. blab.. blab… but what the *** is the defenses excuse? This is going to get really ugly! Get off your acre Duce and do something!

KCSTEELER

Reaction score
Wow. What a fking surprise. This is becoming a cult. Run by Jim Jones 2.0. Straight into the ******* ground. Time to step away from from the Cool-Aid. And The Shades.

Steelmann

Reaction score
It’s good that they have done an exhaustive search. Searched high and low for the best candidate. For the betterment of our team. Left No boulders unturned.

Kind of like running up to the podium for our draft choice. They just know better.

Look. He might be the guy. I can’t say I know. But what exactly has he done. It just smacks of laziness and arrogance.

Maybe they had to rush to sign him because there was another 5 teams beating down the door to pick him up. Geeeeez.

mdk2

Reaction score
I've said it for years and years.. Tomlin would rather lose his way then win without him getting full credit. He does not want a legit DC in there to expose him.

The media has hyped Tomlin up as some great coach and Tomlin is believing in his own hype for years now.

It's going to get ugly in Pittsburgh.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
What exactly has Austin done to earn this job?

Apparently, he's done a great job with the secondary, though that can be disputed.

He arrived in 2019 when Haden was still in his prime and they traded for Fitzpatrick and signed Nelson, so there was quite a bit of talent there.

One might want to give Austin credit for the development of Fitzpatrick, but Fitzpatrick was already on a star trajectory based on his rookie year with the Dolphins, IMO.

Edmunds, though serviceable, has developed short of expectations, and Sutton seems to have regressed after getting his money.

Both Austin and Tomlin always speak highly of Pierre and Layne, but it never translates to performance on the field.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently, he's done a great job with the secondary, though that can be disputed.

He arrived in 2019 when Haden was still in his prime and they traded for Fitzpatrick and signed Nelson, so there was quite a bit of talent there.

One might want to give Austin credit for the development of Fitzpatrick, but Fitzpatrick was already on a star trajectory based on his rookie year with the Dolphins, IMO.

Edmunds, though serviceable, has developed short of expectations, and Sutton seems to have regressed after getting his money.

Both Austin and Tomlin always speak highly of Pierre and Layne, but it never translates to performance on the field.
I think he has improved Mink, Sutton, and got a decent amount out of Witherspoon. I think Watt helped mask some deficiencies. They had their moments of ok, but then other moments looking like they couldn't cover a sedated one legged frog. For me Austin's past suggests he is topped out and coaching where he belongs. This thing they have going on where they think they are the smartest decision makers in town will continue to snakebite the team. You interview people so you can find the best coach for the job. Not doing that is a fail.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The hire of Austin or anyone else is irrelevant. Whoever, is the DC is not a DC cause he isn't calling the defense. Butler admitted it at his retirement presser. I think it was like this. Austin was up in the booth with the sheets they asked him what they had for this situation and package and then Tomlin pretty much called it. I hope they don't continue the facade of bringing the DC to field level when they name Austin DCish. What a ****** **** show this team is.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Same as it ever was…. He’s got secondary experience…. Our secondary stinks dog ***

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish they would bring in a guy like Sean Desai from the Bears at least for a look. He’s out the John Fox tree Vic fangio said smartest young coach he’s ever worked with he did great job for bears got 18.5 sacks out of a journeyman de for vets min and Deshea Townsend is his secondary coach. that tells a lot there.

Absolutely. Instead, the Steelers promote a guy from within a structure that has zero playoff wins. Zero. None.

a coaching staff of Canada, Austin, Tomlin is scary

Their football genius demonstrated in a brief clip:

lWa7j0.gif

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't really care if Tomlin calls the defense. He is the HC. Many HC's are calling the shots on one side of the ball. But why the charade. When Butler got Covid and they asked Tomlin about taking over, he said he was looking forward to it. He would enjoy the chess match. **** off. Liar.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
To the surprise of no one.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Same as it ever was…. He’s got secondary experience…. Our secondary stinks dog ***
It well sort of does. As when Watt didn't play at least what 60 percent of snaps they had I think it was 1 win or was it 0? Anywho shows me two things. One they couldn't adjust , two their secondary couldn't pick up the slack it was dependent on pressure to mask its deficiencies.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The same thing that Cheerleader Tomlin did to “earn” his.
Backdoor butternut bitchtit Bob isn't even trying to mask who he is anymore. Step up your game Bobby. You are slacking.

steelhurt

Reaction score
So what’s especially troubling for me here is Austin was fired in Cincy as DC after like 8 games and the defense gave up three or four games of 500 plus yards. That is scary!
He will serve as Tomlin’s assistant even though he will have the title of DC.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The same thing that Cheerleader Tomlin did to “earn” his.
I tended to think it was cheerleader Tomlin too until now. And one cannot say they haven't had good defenses. That said the basic concept of his defense is to get a lot of first round talent. Play safe coverage and let the stars up front hunt. This is not the exotic hide your blitz defense of Lebeau. That defense could hide a couple guys. This thing exposes anyone who isn't real good.