• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers receivers YAC through 3 games.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
This is very disturbing no matter how to slice it........our 3 WR's have a combined 19 yards after the catch through 3 games. That's Pitiful! Is it a timing issue between QB & WR? Is it hesitancy to throw the football by the QB? Balls should be arriving to the WR as they are breaking across the field or coming out of their breaks the ball should be on it's way.

Steelers YAC (yards after catch) stats per ESPN:
Najee Harris 58
Pat Freiermuth 51
Zach Gentry 40
Chase Claypool 9
Diontae Johnson 8
Jaylen Warren 7
George Pickens 2

steelreeling

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that's a function of no break-away speed on the top end and nor on the bottom gears as well.

You're not likely to get alot of YAC runnin Diontae on 8-yard curl routes nor Muth on the bubble screen.

Just nogunna happen. that's not us.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Mitch isn't anticipating the route, he is throwing it after the receiver is sitting in an open zone with his back towards the end zone. No time to turn and go forward before they are getting tackled

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
Disturbing, but not surprising. I’d be curious to see what the avg per game YAC was in Ben’s last few years. I’d say it’s the playcalling and routes rather than Mitch not leading. That’s always been my complaint when comparing the Steelers to like…a Tom Brady team, who always seems to hit the receiver at full speed.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With the outside the hash routes it allows more defensive personel to be closer to the ball making sooner tackles. Over the middle spreads out DBs and actually increases comletion & YAC (more 1 on 1) and less conjested.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
With a bunch of curls and out routes that is what you are going to get, I don't care who the QB is.
I think this is on the OC and HC more than any player.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
This is very disturbing no matter how to slice it........our 3 WR's have a combined 19 yards after the catch through 3 games. That's Pitiful! Is it a timing issue between QB & WR? Is it hesitancy to throw the football by the QB? Balls should be arriving to the WR as they are breaking across the field or coming out of their breaks the ball should be on it's way.

Najee Harris 58
Pat Freiermuth 51
Zach Gentry 40
Chase Claypool 9
Diontae Johnson 8
Jaylen Warren 7
George Pickens 2
now show us their historical norms

or compare to other teams

stats without context don't mean ****

steelhurt

Reaction score

Najee Harris 58
Pat Freiermuth 51
Zach Gentry 40
Chase Claypool 9
Diontae Johnson 8
Jaylen Warren 7
George Pickens 2
Holy ****! I didn’t realize it was that bad Chico. Now I wish you hadn’t posted this since it makes me more depressed. Look at the WRs! That’s pitiful, shameful.
And Tomlin said in his presser he sees improvement every week with this offense.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I heard yesterday on 93.7 The Fan that they were in the process of replacing the turf in the center of the field at Heinz Accrisure Stadium. I found that odd and agreeing with the show’s host that he Steelers never use the middle of the field. Would have made more sense to replace the turf outside the hash marks since that’s where the Steelers do all there work.
Maybe the Panthers are wearing out the middle.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
When they fit a certain agenda...context is irrelevant.
Sorry. When our top 3 WRs have these stats something is wrong. Sad really. This is where we are with our offense now though.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score

Najee Harris 58
Pat Freiermuth 51
Zach Gentry 40
Chase Claypool 9
Diontae Johnson 8
Jaylen Warren 7
George Pickens 2
The elimination of slants, drags and skinny posts as well as the entire middle of the field coupled with inaccurate QB will do that

But holy crap that number is shocking even though our route tree consists of:
1) curl route
2) see route number 1

We’re also a solid minute average under where the 32nd team was in TOP compared to last year, so there’s that too

So yeah, whatever we do “show patience” cuz
Canada and Tomlin are fixin’ to unleash some hell

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
now show us their historical norms

or compare to other teams

stats without context don't mean ****
There are right about 200 players…
Yup individual players with more YAC this year than our top 3 WRs combined

It’s a very long list to get down to where they’re at on the YAC leaderboard

Is that the context you’re looking for?

Or by team the Packers lead 496
Bears 32 with 152

We’re 31st with 185
We’re not in last!!!!

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I heard yesterday on 93.7 The Fan that they were in the process of replacing the turf in the center of the field at Heinz Accrisure Stadium. I found that odd and agreeing with the show’s host that he Steelers never use the middle of the field. Would have made more sense to replace the turf outside the hash marks since that’s where the Steelers do all there work.
Maybe the Panthers are wearing out the middle.
The ball is still placed between the hashes and the plays originate from there, not to mention the opposing offense is usually on the field.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
The elimination of slants, drags and skinny posts as well as the entire middle of the field coupled with inaccurate QB will do that

But holy crap that number is shocking even though our route tree consists of:
1) curl route
2) see route number 1

We’re also a solid minute average under where the 32nd team was in TOP compared to last year, so there’s that too

So yeah, whatever we do “show patience” cuz
Canada and Tomlin are fixin’ to unleash some hell

I thought that doesn't kick in until the month of December

By that time we will dwelling in the basement with good Ole BOB

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Bears are 32nd in the league with 78.3 passing yards per game!! 152 YAC for 235 passing yards, not bad.

The Steelers are 28th with 182.7 passing yards per game. 33.7% of yards have come after the catch. I think if you break down percentages, the Steelers favor much better than it looks. By comparison, though, the Packers have 72.2% of the total passing yards after the catch.

steelhurt

Reaction score
The ball is still placed between the hashes and the plays originate from there, not to mention the opposing offense is usually on the field.
Relax! It was done in jest!