• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alualu demoted

steelreeling

Reaction score
Many here said he was the second coming once he returned all would be well on the DL.

I figured he'd last maybe 1/2 season, so he got close. Like said by previous poster, he will sub in and out to spell.

Salute the nation
i thought exactly that.

He musta got old. Alualu has had two awful games. Rough drop off.

Let's see if Montravius wants it. Can he hold the point and penetrate at the same time?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Defense playing lots of snaps, hot weather, and short rest all contributing factors. Alualu could be a lot more effective playing fewer snaps.

It could also help if the offense actually scores some points so the defense doesn't have to face so many rush attempts with teams trying to run out the clock.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Defense playing lots of snaps, hot weather, and short rest all contributing factors. Alualu could be a lot more effective playing fewer snaps.

It could also help if the offense actually scores some points so the defense doesn't have to face so many rush attempts with teams trying to run out the clock.

THIS

Chase Claypool scored 4 TDs in one game as a rookie which is very hard to replicate. Can this offense score 4 TDs in one game.............. hard to say but that is near what's needed in today's NFL game. O'Canada needs to get these WRs invovlved both middle field and TD receptions because without, the season keeps getting longer and longer.

Salute the nation

xjx

Reaction score
This team won't score 4 offensive tds in any game this entire season.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DK had a you tube spot about this.

Why is Tomlin calling out Alualu, putting it all on him.? No accountability with bush or the offense

Nice find & post, B & G Bleeder

Take the time to listen, DK or not he has many points of interest.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So question. Not saying he shouldn't be demoted, but how do you do that and then sit in film and pretend that Devin Bush's play is above the line without losing the team?
I guess because nobody behind Bush is playing better? One thing to be deficient it is another thing to replace it with an even worse version.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Many here said he was the second coming once he returned all would be well on the DL.

I figured he'd last maybe 1/2 season, so he got close. Like said by previous poster, he will sub in and out to spell.

Salute the nation

Given his age and the nature of the injury I was very skeptical we would get the old Alualu. I was assuming a rotational player at best. That being said, I did hype in my head that maybe, just maybe ... but that was mostly the emotional side wanting him to come back strong both for him (I think he has been a good guy and a great team player) and for the team. But, admittedly, if we were betting money it would be hard from a rational standpoint to bet on him coming back as the player he was.

I will say, and this is just a personal thing, I appreciate that he came back and gave it a real shot (and could still be a decent rotational option) vs a certain other d-lineman that took the Steelers' money vs retirement and then just packed his bags and left.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess because nobody behind Bush is playing better? One thing to be deficient it is another thing to replace it with an even worse version.

This is really the right answer. Bush has been a little better but still not meeting the standard, obviously. But what exactly is our other option?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Here is an answer that after 3 some years of development should be viable.

Marcus Allen.

WTF he been doing? He can cover right.? What is the weight difference between him and bush. Just sayin,, he knew they were converting him to LB in 2020. Whats the hold up?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I've been watching Spillane absolutely is not worse. Not even close. He at least takes a gap. He doesn't stand there in quicksand hoping for an angle at 6 or 7 yards to the back.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been watching Spillane absolutely is not worse. Not even close. He at least takes a gap. He doesn't stand there in quicksand hoping for an angle at 6 or 7 yards to the back.
Yeah but he is a liability in coverage. So you have to weigh that pendulum and see how it balances out. I was reading reps one week it was showing Spillane getting a decent amount of reps. So he already gets some, but he isn't proficient in every area enough to get them all. Which brings us back to why Bush hasn't been replaced completely.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah but he is a liability in coverage. So you have to weigh that pendulum and see how it balances out. I was reading reps one week it was showing Spillane getting a decent amount of reps. So he already gets some, but he isn't proficient in every area enough to get them all. Which brings us back to why Bush hasn't been replaced completely.
When Bush makes his next play on a ball in the pass game I might consider that. Plus a lot if times I see Spillane in there in definite passing situations.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
When Bush makes his next play on a ball in the pass game I might consider that. Plus a lot if times I see Spillane in there in definite passing situations.
Sure they rotate them you will see them both in all situations. Far as seeing Bush make plays just like any pass defender you will notice them more making those pass breakups and INTs. But just good coverage that won't be as noticable. Nothing I have ever seen from Spillane makes me think he is a capable every down starter. I think we are setting the bar pretty low for that.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Sure they rotate them you will see them both in all situations. Far as seeing Bush make plays just like any pass defender you will notice them more making those pass breakups and INTs. But just good coverage that won't be as noticable. Nothing I have ever seen from Spillane makes me think he is a capable every down starter. I think we are setting the bar pretty low for that.
I maintain the bar cannot be lower than an ILB who doesn't play the run. Hell if I want coverage and no run stop add a safety.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I maintain the bar cannot be lower than an ILB who doesn't play the run. Hell if I want coverage and no run stop add a safety.
But is this passing league or a running league? There is a reason WRs are more coveted over RBs. It isn't what you or I want. It is what are the biggest threats to a defense. Regardless we see two deficient players. The one deficient player won't be replaced until a better version comes along or more likely he hits free agency. Then I wouldn't mind bringing in a certain Bears ILBer. As far as a S goes I think when Kaz was shelved that took away your idea which I would be all in for moving Edmunds closer upon his return..

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
But is this passing league or a running league? There is a reason WRs are more coveted over RBs. It isn't what you or I want. It is what are the biggest threats to a defense. Regardless we see two deficient players. The one deficient player won't be replaced until a better version comes along or more likely he hits free agency. Then I wouldn't mind bringing in a certain Bears ILBer. As far as a S goes I think when Kaz was shelved that took away your idea which I would be all in for moving Edmunds closer upon his return..
Here is an answer that after 3 some years of development should be viable.

Marcus Allen.

WTF he been doing? He can cover right.? What is the weight difference between him and bush. Just sayin,, he knew they were converting him to LB in 2020. Whats the hold up?
. did yall miss this or do you think im a dipshit?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I believe Bush is a liability in coverage as well and I'm not convinced Spillane isn't better in this area. He's the all-around better option right now, IMO.