• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

1st official mock draft, 2018. Pre film and college all-star games

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
1st official mock draft, 2018. Pre film and college all-star games

Round 1 )
I'd prefer ILB Roquan Smith, but he'll likely be gone by our pick, so I'll go with Reshann Evans. We need a three down ILB who can tackle, limit runs, and play pass defense. Evans has excelled in all three areas.

Notes from Walter Football:

Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 231.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
1/13/18: In 2017, Evans totaled 66 tackles, 11.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks, one forced fumble and three passes broken up. The senior possesses an impressive skill set with size, speed and physicality. He did well rushing off the edge for Alabama in 2017.

9/1/17: Evans was a backup in 2014 and 2015 before rotating onto the field during the 2016 season. As a junior, he totaled 53 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, two passes broken up and one forced fumble. Evans has the athletic upside to grow.

Round 2 ) Safety, Deshon Elliot. Mitchell is garbage and needs to be replaced. Elliot had six interceptions; nine passes defensed, three forced fumbles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and two defensive touchdowns last season. The more I read about him, the better I like him! If he runs well, a possible first round guy to consider.

Walter Football notes:
Texas
Height: 6-2. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.
1/6/18: Elliott enjoyed a breakout 2017 season and was one of the nation's leaders in interceptions with six. The junior also had 63 tackles and three passes broken up. After announcing he would enter the 2018 NFL Draft, Elliott sat out Texas' bowl game.

Elliott has NFL size with good instincts. He fits as a free safety for the pro game, and sources have told me that they've given him a second-day grade. They say that Elliott lacks elite athletic ability and speed to be a first-round pick, but he makes plays in coverage and is a willing participant against the run. It would have been hard for Elliott to duplicate his production if he had returned for his senior year, so it was in his interest to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft - like he did.

Round 3. Linebacker / nickel back Jerome Baker. Our team speed is terrible at ILB. Williams is slow. Spence way too small, and Dirty red too small and slow. Baker is a blazing fast LB. Fast enough to prevent running QB's from ripping the defense, and productive in coverage. Baker also has upside as a pass rusher and has the makings of a special teams star.

Walter Football notes:
Jerome Baker*, OLB, Ohio State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2018): 2-4.
1/13/18: In 2017, Baker totaled 72 tackles with eight for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and three passes broken up. He didn't validate some of the preseason media hype with his play in 2017, but he displayed some potential in pass coverage, which is an in-demand trait among linebackers in the NFL.

9/1/17: There has been a lot of media hype about Baker, but in speaking with scouts who did advance work on the 2018 class, they weren't impressed with Baker. They said that Baker runs around more blocks than he takes on and has the speed to get away with that against average offensive lines. They thought was more of a second-day to early third-day prospect. They said Baker is a good player, but not complete and isn't anything exceptional. They felt Baker was a good, solid, instinct guy who, in the right system, will play in the NFL, but over time they're a dime a dozen.

After Darron Lee was taken in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, Baker won the job to be Lee's replacement as Ohio State's fast run-and-chase linebacker. Baker had a quality debut with 83 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks and two interceptions. He is a highly athletic linebacker with sideline-to-sideline speed. Baker could be a great fit as a Will (weak side) linebacker in a 4-3 defense.

Rounds 4-7

Round 5A) ( san Fran's pick ) BPA DT/NT. Hargrave, stock way down
Round 5B ) RB. Conner might not be durable enough.
Round 5C comp pick for losing Timmons ) OT With Hubbard gone, we need a developmental type.
Round 6 ) BPA P. Berry isn't very good. We can upgrade here. A decent punting class
Round 7 ) KR/Speed WR. A bit of a luxury pick, but a need and this is round 7

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I think our 3 biggest needs are (in no particular order): True Big ******* Ugly NT, ILB and Safety. If they don't sign Bell, we may need a RB. Didn't see enough of Conner to say he can be our starter but he may well be.

Hopefully, we can grab a couple of decent players in FA but we will need to nail our top 2 picks once again. The past 2 drafts have been good for our picks 1 and 2. Some don't like Burns and Davis but they are both starting caliber on any team in this league.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Personally, I think our 3 biggest needs are (in no particular order): True Big ******* Ugly NT, ILB and Safety. If they don't sign Bell, we may need a RB. Didn't see enough of Conner to say he can be our starter but he may well be.

Hopefully, we can grab a couple of decent players in FA but we will need to nail our top 2 picks once again. The past 2 drafts have been good for our picks 1 and 2. Some don't like Burns and Davis but they are both starting caliber on any team in this league.
Dupree sucks balls too, may need an OLB

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dupree sucks balls too, may need an OLB

I mentioned this in another thread. Not sure what happened to him. I read he was playing injured most of the year. But, he trained hard in the offseason and everyone that saw him said his speed, strength and athleticisim was off the charts and they expected big things from him this year. Then, the pre-season came and then the regular season and then the playoff game and there was very little to be excited about. In fact, almost none at all. I have no idea why he was such a dud this year. Is it that Porter sucks so bad at coaching the LB's? Two high picks and two duds in a row there. Let's hope whatever the issue there is doesn't rub off on Watt.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Dupree is a more talented Shark Thomas type. He's got a lot of physical ability, but the good lord didn't bless him with smarts or internal drive / effort. We should have kept Harrison and played him on the likely running downs...I would have.

Burns is decent. Yes he could be better, but he's a solid cover corner. I'll give Colbert a pas son this 1st round pick, even though X. Howard and a 3rd round pick might have been better in hindsight.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

The best news is NT, ILB and S aren't as highly valued as most positons, and from what I can tell this is a good draft for all three areas.

Spike

Reaction score
Don't wast another draft pick on defense, go all offense.

None of those high draft pick spindly legged weak *** ******* getting pancaked on every play ***** on defense are worth a dime anyway. Steelers have forgotten how to draft for defense, All their picks suck. Pick up some wavier wire scrubs and use them to fill holes on defense, as much good as it will do,

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread. Not sure what happened to him. I read he was playing injured most of the year. But, he trained hard in the offseason and everyone that saw him said his speed, strength and athleticisim was off the charts and they expected big things from him this year. Then, the pre-season came and then the regular season and then the playoff game and there was very little to be excited about. In fact, almost none at all. I have no idea why he was such a dud this year. Is it that Porter sucks so bad at coaching the LB's? Two high picks and two duds in a row there. Let's hope whatever the issue there is doesn't rub off on Watt.
Yeah not sure, but we need to go back to drafting guys that love to play the game, that put it all on the field, Watt and Shazier are those kind of guys, not sure Dupree is.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious what makes this 'official?'

should be "Coach's first official mock draft"
if Coolie was a decent moderator, he'd fix the thread title. lazy ***.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
RD1- Justin Reid S Stanford
Reid the brother of Eric and his play shows. He is solid up and down and can play several DB positions. He really has no weaknesses in his game. He covers man or zone, fs, s or nickel, he plays the run. I feel he can come in and start day one. Bye Mike.

RD2- Vita Vea NT Washington
Vea is a true NT with sand in his pants to hold the point but good athleticism to move side to side. He should drop do to his position need and value in today’s nfl otherwise he’d be a first rounder.

RD3- Tegray Scales ILB Indiana
I think Scales is a riser just like Haas Reddick last year. He’s good in coverage and can blitz from the outside or inside. Little undersized at 6ft 230lbs but I feel he runs a solid 4.5 also.

RD4- Sione Teuhema OLB SLU
Transfer from LSU and hard to get to the bottom of it. Seems a mixture of playing time and maybe not happy about coaching change. Anyways he had a nice year vs lesser competition and honestly if he can play special teams how can’t he take Moats spot.

RD5- Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico
He’s a legit 6-6 receiver who should be a red zone threat immediately.

RD6- Nyheim Hines RB NC State
Hines is a change of pace back which if Bell is just tagged makes sense as if the Steelers do move on in 2019 they’d have Connor and now Hines to fill Bells shoes. Hines is quick with good vision, nice hands, and a very good kick and punt return man.

RD7- Marcus Baugh TE OSU
Baugh is not going to blow you over with his size, speed, or athleticism but he has enough of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Just curious what makes this 'official?'

We are officially in the off season. . I'll be creating an all senior bowl thread for news, focusing on positons of need at a later date. Yes--I actually DVR the practices.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Reid the brother of Eric and his play shows. He is solid up and down and can play several DB positions. He really has no weaknesses in his game. He covers man or zone, fs, s or nickel, he plays the run. I feel he can come in and start day one. Bye Mike.

Vea is a true NT with sand in his pants to hold the point but good athleticism to move side to side. He should drop do to his position need and value in today’s nfl otherwise he’d be a first rounder.

I think Scales is a riser just like Haas Reddick last year. He’s good in coverage and can blitz from the outside or inside. Little undersized at 6ft 230lbs but I feel he runs a solid 4.5 also.

Transfer from LSU and hard to get to the bottom of it. Seems a mixture of playing time and maybe not happy about coaching change. Anyways he had a nice year vs lesser competition and honestly if he can play special teams how can’t he take Moats spot.

Hines is a change of pace back which if Bell is just tagged makes sense as if the Steelers do move on in 2019 they’d have Connor and now Hines to fill Bells shoes. Hines is quick with good vision, nice hands, and a very good kick and punt return man.

RD7- Marcus Baugh TE OSU
Baugh is not going to blow you over with his size, speed, or athleticism but he has enough of each.

Not bad at all! I like Reid and Vita Vea . But neither will be there for us in round two, I think which is why I went BPA on ILB in round one, a positon a rookie can step right in and start

We should get a 5th round comp pick for Timmons, I'm 98% sure we will according to the web site which correctly calls this stuff every year.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Not bad at all! I like Reid and Vita Vea . But neither will be there for us in round two, I think which is why I went BPA on ILB in round one, a positon a rookie can step right in and start

We should get a 5th round comp pick for Timmons, I'm 98% sure we will according to the web site which correctly calls this stuff every year.

I took Reid with the 1st and Vita is a true NT. He likely sees 25-30 snaps a game. Not worthy of a first round pick but for what we need he’d be perfect.

I hate predicting comp picks I will adjust when they are announced.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This draft is going to suck. We need to nail it with our first 3 picks. We have no 4th round pick and no 6th round pick. We do get a conditional 7th round pick for Cockrell. I am not sure if we will get any other picks for losing free agents but not having that 4th rounder is going to suck, especially if they end up cutting McDonald (who they gave up the money and the pick for) because he misses a game or two or three every time someone breaths on him.

Scott109

Reaction score
This draft is going to suck. We need to nail it with our first 3 picks. We have no 4th round pick and no 6th round pick.

The Steelers picked up a sixth round pick for Sammie Coates.

Edit: Steelers traded the sixth round pick they got for Coates to the Bucs for Wilcox so they don’t have a sixth round pick.

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers picked up a sixth round pick for Sammie Coates.

They actually got something for that bum? Sweet! I'll take it. Hopefully, we can get that 4th rounder back somehow or get the 5th for Timmons that someone mentioned. And, please, no more drafting a damn long snapper.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This draft is going to suck. We need to nail it with our first 3 picks. We have no 4th round pick and no 6th round pick. We do get a conditional 7th round pick for Cockrell. I am not sure if we will get any other picks for losing free agents but not having that 4th rounder is going to suck, especially if they end up cutting McDonald (who they gave up the money and the pick for) because he misses a game or two or three every time someone breaths on him.

I think a few 2nd tier FA's is the route we might take. No more sitting on our heel's in the off season. Hopefully anyways.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

oicu8ad

Reaction score

RD7- Marcus Baugh TE OSU

I LOVE your top 4 picks, but I double down on ILB and OLB. This team needs defensive help. I love where we are at WR (no need), and I think we can manage at RB and TE. I would have gone TE, but with the play of McDonald lately, I'd let that pass. DEFENSE is where I'd go.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

So we should have three 5th round picks. San Fran's ( early in the round ), Ours, and the compensatory pick for losing Timmons.

This makes our draft look like

5 ( san fran's )
5 ( ours )
5 ( Comp pick )

Do we get another 7th round pick for losing Cockrell?