• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Their three cups were with Badger Bob, who was a fairly hands on guy, Bowman, who was a drill sargent (they didn't kick him out of practice via mutiny till 93, when they got upset in the playoffs, and lastly under Bylsma, who lived in the locker room and was buddy buddy with the players... and as was already said, that first year he used Therrien's system with more flexibility than therrien allowed... MJ is more along the lines of an Olczyk, who had a boatload of knowledge, but was ignored and walked over by the vets on the team

Agreed! Olczyk was an awesome game planner but did not command respect. The same with Johnston. He runs a damn good system to be honest. He's just too passive in my eyes

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, Sid finally scored. Glad that is behind us.

Spike

Reaction score
Sid & Kessel with big goals

Pens win in OT PP with $40M in salary on the ice

Malkin with the game winner

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Winning is finally back. Team is finally gelling together

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I disagreed with both the disallowed goals......didn't think there was clear proof of the hi stick on Fla. And the lame assed excuse by the ref after the word from Toronto on the Pens' goal was.....well lame assed. IMO from what I saw he was waaaayyyy outta position and that's why he lost sight of the puck, thus the whistle. That was the total inference I drew anyhow. Then to come out on the ice and say "the ruling on the ice is confirmed the goalie was pushed in, yada,yada........" Guess that sounds better than "I ****** up and wasn't in position so...." Evens out though I guess. Just more garage league officiating. Wonder how often there are going to be Toronto challenges in OT?

Man I like Rust's effort. My son compares him to T. Kennedy in his better days who I also liked for his energy.
Farnham is FAST. Usually outta control but FAST! Smart so far too......agitates, but doesn't retaliate w/ the lead.....walked away. Smart.
Dupers could be back in 2 weeks or so.
Kunitz might wear down later in the season but right now he's playing very well, imo. He's still a huge presence and pest in front of the net.
PP looks somewhat improved but this team needs to start scoring more than 2 goals a game.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I disagreed with both the disallowed goals......didn't think there was clear proof of the hi stick on Fla. And the lame assed excuse by the ref after the word from Toronto on the Pens' goal was.....well lame assed. IMO from what I saw he was waaaayyyy outta position and that's why he lost sight of the puck, thus the whistle. That was the total inference I drew anyhow. Then to come out on the ice and say "the ruling on the ice is confirmed the goalie was pushed in, yada,yada........" Guess that sounds better than "I ****** up and wasn't in position so...." Evens out though I guess. Just more garage league officiating. Wonder how often there are going to be Toronto challenges in OT?

Man I like Rust's effort. My son compares him to T. Kennedy in his better days who I also liked for his energy.
Farnham is FAST. Usually outta control but FAST! Smart so far too......agitates, but doesn't retaliate w/ the lead.....walked away. Smart.
Dupers could be back in 2 weeks or so.
Kunitz might wear down later in the season but right now he's playing very well, imo. He's still a huge presence and pest in front of the net.
PP looks somewhat improved but this team needs to start scoring more than 2 goals a game.

I think the goals will come as the season progresses. Playing full speed hockey with new guys can be a little challanging and they will only get better as they get used to each other. Kessel, Farnham are so hard to play with cause they are fast skaters. You have to be perfect with passes to hit them in stride. I like the PK from these guys right now. I think the team shows discipline. Johnston has these guys moving up

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Spezza, Benn, Seguin > Crosby, Malkin, Kessel.

This is embarrassing.

That is all.

Spike

Reaction score
Pens and Fleury look totally disinterested...could have been 10-1 Stars

Pens 4th line outplayed all the stars again

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Winning is finally back. Team is finally gelling together

Not so fast. Last night against the stars they look more like the uninterested, disorganized team I've come to expect from Johnson. Johnson sucks and needs to go. The sooner the better before this team is so far back it's too late.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Todd Richards is suddenly available. Now playing the CBJs will suck.

Time to **** or get off the pot.

Go Wild!
wildlogo.jpg

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
They play like they think they can win on talent alone with no effort. You would almost think they want Johnson canned.

Spike

Reaction score
I blame the coaching.

Dammit! WE coulda had Torts!

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Johnson cannot get this team interested in skating, last night was bad against the Stars

black and gold apex

Reaction score
five minute power play and nothing, that was the worst setting up of a power play I have ever seen.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot believe that after the first period last night, the Pens actually won that game. Flower kept them in the game again. Hopefully the new line formations will be effective over time.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Not so fast. Last night against the stars they look more like the uninterested, disorganized team I've come to expect from Johnson. Johnson sucks and needs to go. The sooner the better before this team is so far back it's too late.

Johnston runs a good strategy. My problem with him as a coach is he is too mellow. The guy has hockey smarts. Why the team doesnt respond. I think is cause he doesnt command respect. Last night against the Preds the team looked good until the 3rd period as always. Thats been a problem with this pens team since last spring. The team however is slowly bit surely finding the net

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The team however is slowly bit surely finding the net

HUH? The Pens have scored 3 goals one time this year. They have scored 2 goals four times, 1 goal two times and have been shut out once. They are averaging 1.5 goals a game. That isn't what I would describe as finding the net in any capacity. Ok, I'll give you slowly.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think the team is / has been dysfunctional. I think that it is a chemistry/ leadership problem. Crosby has not been himself for a while for whatever reason. Not sure if he is simply burnt out, injured, messed up from concussions, or what. Malkin is Malkin hot and cold. I think the players need more of a strong minded coach. Seems like they kinda walked over Byslma and are walking over Johnston. There is no excuse for the terrible power play. We have 2 of the best players in the world and have cant set up a good PP. Makes 0 sense. I dont really follow other teams, but it seems like our roster / line turnover is abnormally high. We have had the same core for a while, but the other pieces seem to come and go constantly. Just seems like it would be hard to build any type of chemistry that way. With all of our fire power we are terrible after trailing by 2. I forget what the stat was, but it was almost unbelieveable. Just seems like the passion is not there the last few years.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
HUH? The Pens have scored 3 goals one time this year. They have scored 2 goals four times, 1 goal two times and have been shut out once. They are averaging 1.5 goals a game. That isn't what I would describe as finding the net in any capacity. Ok, I'll give you slowly.

Slowly finding the net. Lol. It's still early in the season to write these guys off. I'm not giving up hope just yet. The team is anchored down by sloppy defensive play. I think a big ego as well. I think the media hype with addition of Kessel who seems to be stepping it up of late has given the guys a "lets just show up" attitude

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the team is / has been dysfunctional. I think that it is a chemistry/ leadership problem. Crosby has not been himself for a while for whatever reason. Not sure if he is simply burnt out, injured, messed up from concussions, or what. Malkin is Malkin hot and cold. I think the players need more of a strong minded coach. Seems like they kinda walked over Byslma and are walking over Johnston. There is no excuse for the terrible power play. We have 2 of the best players in the world and have cant set up a good PP. Makes 0 sense. I dont really follow other teams, but it seems like our roster / line turnover is abnormally high. We have had the same core for a while, but the other pieces seem to come and go constantly. Just seems like it would be hard to build any type of chemistry that way. With all of our fire power we are terrible after trailing by 2. I forget what the stat was, but it was almost unbelieveable. Just seems like the passion is not there the last few years.

The Penguins biggest problem is ego. I feel with the addition of profile players they just expect goals handed to them. That is undisciplined hockey. The team was loaded with talent in that 2012-2013 season. After that meltdown in the sweep against the Bruins the teams problems started from there. I do think this team has talent to win a cup but the coach needs to get on top of these guys

Spike

Reaction score
The team is anchored down by sloppy defensive play. I think a big ego as well.

yep - Scuderi and Lovejoy are horrible The Pen are even worse than the Steelers when it comes to playing young guys. Where's Pouliot and Clendening? This team is getting older and slower.

Have to just get rid of Scudjoy and Kunitz, because if they are on the team, nobody will bench them, no matter how bad they play.

The ego comes from thinking they just have to step on the ice and teams will give up.

We have one of the best offensive groups in the league and a questionable defensive group. Play to maximize your strengths, not to minimize your weaknesses. MJ is coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win by stifling the offense and playing a dump and chase game, NOT one of the Pens strengths. Everyone is floating around looking to snipe and nobody is going in to fight for the puck on the boards.

Oh - and the rush up the ice that teams used to fear isn't happening either - seems to have disappeared

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC
Status
Not open for further replies.