• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2016-2017 Pens----Still with 100% more Kessel

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
1st game of the season against a heated rival. The time to defend Lord Stanley
Thoughts so far:
-HBK still creating opportunities
-Sestito with old time blue collar hockey. Love the guy as an enforcer
-The team can and will produce wins compared to last years squad. The guys have a chemistry on the ice that's noticeable. Kunitz and Wilson complimnt Malkin well
Let's Go Pens!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
His wrister on the shootout was so quick, no ref or scoring judge could see it real time. Wow!

Steelers Rule!

Reaction score
Thoughts after:
Fast as the play off run last year. Quick breaks, and moves on pucks.
But they seemed slow on moving back into their zone on turn overs. Caps had several one and two man advantages on turn overs last night. Scared me quite a bit.
Fleury is still da man.
God damn, but Holtby is good. He never fails to impress. Pens would have won by three more goals with a lesser goalie in the pipes. He flat robbed Sestito of a goal.
Please Gino, you're 30. Stop with the stupid hot headed penalties.
Yeah Kunitz, little more intensity.
Duomolin may never be a great goal scorer, but what a stud defenseman otherwise. Almost always in the right place at the right time.
Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe it's wishful thinking, but did Foreskin look off last night? He didn't seem so much his slapshotting, thuggish self.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Thoughts after:
Fast as the play off run last year. Quick breaks, and moves on pucks.
But they seemed slow on moving back into their zone on turn overs. Caps had several one and two man advantages on turn overs last night. Scared me quite a bit.
Fleury is still da man.
God damn, but Holtby is good. He never fails to impress. Pens would have won by three more goals with a lesser goalie in the pipes. He flat robbed Sestito of a goal.
Please Gino, you're 30. Stop with the stupid hot headed penalties.
Yeah Kunitz, little more intensity.
Duomolin may never be a great goal scorer, but what a stud defenseman otherwise. Almost always in the right place at the right time.
Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe it's wishful thinking, but did Foreskin look off last night? He didn't seem so much his slapshotting, thuggish self.

Holtby is amazing. Some of the fastest reflexes as a goalie. I think the Pens fast style of play is a double edged sword. Under Sullivan they move the puck quite well, and have amazing puck control in the offensive zone, but with defense men coming up in this system, sometimes they get beat on man advantages. Especially with a talent loaded team like the Caps. Overall I thought it was an even matched game.

-Shultz, Letang, Daley and Dumo play their positions well and fall back to help the goalie
-Maatta was getting beat on rushes often which is where the Caps got a lot of opportunity
- Williams is still a douche. Couldn't stand him as a Flyer and def not as a Cap
-No drop in HBK, Hornqvist ******* brings it. I also noticed Fehr is faster? :/
-Sheary(puck control) Kunhackle(physical) Wilson(playmaker)
This team has a damn good chance of repeating

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Maata sucks. That guy has gone way backward. Just like last post season, he is making bad decisions and he is too slow to cover himself. He was on the ice and directly responsible for both goals when he failed to get the puck deep. I think he looked better in Bylsma's system because it was slower. I hope they can deal him. That contact looks like it could be an abatross. Would love to have Trouba.

Spike

Reaction score
Ducks vs Pens on NHL channel tonight! (Sat)

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Back and forth so far. Fun to watch. Maatta is not cutting it into this system. Man he is getting outskated

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
MAF is looking good. Ritchie with a hold on Dumo. Pens on the power play

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Penguins wearing out the Ducks. 3-1 now.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Penguins wearing out the Ducks. 3-1 now.

Pens had control of that game. The Corey Perry goal was just a great rebound back to Perry. MAF did great and stopped the first shot. Just an unlucky bounce. I think Pens take control for the 3rd. A lot of missed opportunities by Sheary. The dude is playing great. Cullen had an opportunity earlier too

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Good game by both teams today. I thought the Pens were able to play a faster game. Especially among the boards the Pens just got the puck more. Powerplays are set up well and the guys are shooting the puck more than years past. Something that has been in effect since Sullivan took over.
Thoughts
-Maatta is not a fit for Sullivan's system. Love the guy too. He tries
-Sheary is gonna be something special. He creates scoring opportunities and amazing puck control
-Hagelin is too fast
-Geno is starting to look disciplined. He got hit and kept moving
-Ian Cole. Big difference and may be the Pens underrated Defenseman at the moment
-MAF is getting it done in the net. Hope his confidence stays high
-Sestito? Idk if the Pens are keeping him on as an enforcer type player. But I'd like to see Porter called up and Sestito sent down. Can't complain. Pens won

Spike

Reaction score
Homers

Ducks outplayed them for 2/3 of the game - Pens got lucky Fleury was in God mode

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Homers

Ducks outplayed them for 2/3 of the game - Pens got lucky Fleury was in God mode

MAF is always in God mode. His confidence is yet to be seen. I thought both teams had great scoring chances. Ducks had more shots on goal. Pens had the better quality scoring chances. So I give the edge to the Pens on that. Pens speed was also hard to match. Defensively they played fine. But Maatta is getting burned constantly and as a result got Daley out of position

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Olli is just not very physical,and jumps in the offense too much...but he's not going anywhere

Olli Maatta gets a 6-year extension

The #Pens have signed Olli Maatta to a six-year contract extension with an AAV of $4.083M

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/olli-maatta-signs-six-year-contract-extension/c-870739

In Sullivan's system, the D men do tend to jump into offense. I notice the Pens usually keep one guy back just in case. Maatta's fallback speed is his weakness which is where he gets beat. When he comes up on offense while the Pens have the puck, he does decent. But I think he may be the weakness to this team at the moment. Still plenty of time to improve

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't watch Saturday's game. Sounds like it was a nail bitter.
Thank God for the hockey season!!!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't watch Saturday's game. Sounds like it was a nail bitter.
Thank God for the hockey season!!!

It got intense in 3rd. Back and forth all game. Sheary with great opportunities. Cullen let one escape too. Not worried a bit

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The reason that game wasn't 7-3 Ducks--MAF.

The reason that game wasn't 6-2 Pens--Connor Sheary

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason that game wasn't 7-3 Ducks--MAF.

The reason that game wasn't 6-2 Pens--Connor Sheary

That's just how back and forth that game was. That was fun for an early season game. MAF was lights out. Not hating on Sheary, he puts himself in a good position for his size, he stays on the puck pretty well too. He'll get his goals

Spike

Reaction score
Directv has free pass NHL Center Ice

Aves/Pens on tonight (Mon)

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Almost time for puck drop. Gonna be a fun game. I like Duchene so hard to have bitter feelings towards the Avalanche. On that note. Let's Go Pens!