• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
It is easier to just ask and answer questions than it is to attempt to put together lists, especially with significant data still being yet to be determined. So, instead of attempting to get that done, if you want to know something, ask. I'll do my best to answer.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey welcome back

What's your list of top edge players for the Steelers at 1.30?
Mine would be, in order, Harris, Lawson, McKinley, Watt.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It is easier to just ask and answer questions than it is to attempt to put together lists, especially with significant data still being yet to be determined. So, instead of attempting to get that done, if you want to know something, ask. I'll do my best to answer.

Welcome back TMC!!!

After a long hiatus, I too am back.

Remember or debate on P. Rivers?

Keep posting, I enjoy reading your stuff.

My question to you is this.

At the senior bowl the only QB who stood out was David Webb. He ran the best offense ( In other words picked up what the coaches wanted quickly ) showed an excellent arm and nice agility. He's also very big. I understand he needs some work on reading defenses and judgement, however I see good tools to mold.

With Ben one foot out the door ( Noll used to say when you talk retirement you're essentially retired ), do you think he's worth one of our third round picks? I do.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Hey welcome back

What's your list of top edge players for the Steelers at 1.30?
Mine would be, in order, Harris, Lawson, McKinley, Watt.

Well, I am not a big fan of Harris. He isn't that athletic, doesn't show great power or bend in his game. His tape isn't that inspiring to me. My first guy on the list is Takk McKinley. He will probably get dinged because of the shoulder issue and his recovery, otherwise, I don't think he is in the conversation. He threw the bar up 24 times with a rotator cuff injury. That can sap some power, can make it difficult to train, some doctors say there is a degradation in overall strength over time. He played with it for almost 2 years. Phenomenal athlete, ran track in high school at 235 pounds and ran a 10.6-100 meter. You see that speed when he closes. Good pop at the point, slips blocks, tenacious. Coaches love him. Not exactly a bendy guy, but extends arms and slips. Almost impossible to cut him. And, when he sees the ball, he gets the ball. So, he is #1. TJ Watt might be next. Lawson probably would be, but I'm thinking Watt may have more future upside. I think Lawson is ready sooner, but with Watt's length and bend around the corner, with his work ethic and knowledge, how far he came in just 2 seasons, he could blow the lid off about middle Y2 and be something in Y3. But, Lawson is right behind him. Then, I go Derek Rivers. Again, great athlete, bendy, has explosion and power.

If guys like Taco Charlton, Harris, or Willis are there, I'd just as soon go elsewhere.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Harris improved his athletic numbers at his pro day. In tape his sacks look impressive, a nasty spin move, good bullrush and a good swim move

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Welcome back TMC!!!

After a long hiatus, I too am back.

Remember or debate on P. Rivers?

Keep posting, I enjoy reading your stuff.

My question to you is this.

At the senior bowl the only QB who stood out was David Webb. He ran the best offense ( In other words picked up what the coaches wanted quickly ) showed an excellent arm and nice agility. He's also very big. I understand he needs some work on reading defenses and judgement, however I see good tools to mold.

With Ben one foot out the door ( Noll used to say when you talk retirement you're essentially retired ), do you think he's worth one of our third round picks? I do.

Webb is very likely to go in the 2nd round. I doubt he lasts until the 3rd. A lot of people really don't follow his career. He started at Texas Tech. In his first season as a starter, he kept Patrick Mahommes on the bench (Mahommes was a freshman). Then, Mahommes overtook him. So, that is battling with a guy climbing into the first round. Webb graduates, goes to Cal. The Cal offense leaned on him more than they did on Jared Goff, who was a high first rounder. He had 620 attempts at Cal last year. Goff had 529 in his final season. His completion percentage was not far off of Goff. He threw for 4295 yards. Less INTs than Goff, but also had 5 less TDs. He might sneak in at the bottom of the first, start of the 2nd. He shouldn't be far behind Mahommes, but none of these QBs in this draft are studs.

And, I'm not one to draft a QB wondering if my franchise is leaving. I am fine with going with Landry Jones a season, taking my beating, and drafting in the top 10.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Harris improved his athletic numbers at his pro day. In tape his sacks look impressive, a nasty spin move, good bullrush and a good swim move

He did not bench, did not run the 40, just did the vertical jump (up 5 1/2 inches) and did drills. So, he elected to stick with a 4.82 forty and 21 reps. So, when he had a chance to improve either, he thought that was good enough. NFL teams take the best time, always have. All he could do is improve. I've watched his tape, just not a guy I like.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
TMC what do you think of the Villanova DE? I think he can play end in a 3-4 and play end in our nickle and dime looks. I know we signed the DE from Jacksonville but I have think he moves inside in the nickle and dime. Good to see you back

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC what do you think of the Villanova DE? I think he can play end in a 3-4 and play end in our nickle and dime looks. I know we signed the DE from Jacksonville but I have think he moves inside in the nickle and dime. Good to see you back

He is raw, but he is a really good athlete for a bigger dude. I mean, his 40-time is better than some of the 250-pound OLB prospects and he is 290-pounds. It isn't even a stretch to think he plays at 300-pounds and doesn't lose anything. LONG arms. Almost 36". Massive hands. His bench of 23 reps is pretty good for someone whose hands can touch their knee caps. Explosion numbers were okay. Hoping he improved a little at his pro day, still waiting on those numbers to filter out. Not sure he makes it through the 3rd, interest is heating up. He shows some power moves in his game, able to jerk linemen completely off balance, threw Forest Lamp on the ground at the Senior Bowl like he was a kid. Quick into gaps. Shows some power against doubles. Dude looks like he is the goods, but it all boils down to IF he can work to improve his hands, develop some pass rush technique, and just round out a game. I don't see the signing of Alualu as being a reason to pass on young talent.
This draft has talent, is deep at several positions, draft the guys that will help for a decade and don't worry about 2-year signings.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
He is raw, but he is a really good athlete for a bigger dude. I mean, his 40-time is better than some of the 250-pound OLB prospects and he is 290-pounds. It isn't even a stretch to think he plays at 300-pounds and doesn't lose anything. LONG arms. Almost 36". Massive hands. His bench of 23 reps is pretty good for someone whose hands can touch their knee caps. Explosion numbers were okay. Hoping he improved a little at his pro day, still waiting on those numbers to filter out. Not sure he makes it through the 3rd, interest is heating up. He shows some power moves in his game, able to jerk linemen completely off balance, threw Forest Lamp on the ground at the Senior Bowl like he was a kid. Quick into gaps. Shows some power against doubles. Dude looks like he is the goods, but it all boils down to IF he can work to improve his hands, develop some pass rush technique, and just round out a game. I don't see the signing of Alualu as being a reason to pass on young talent.
This draft has talent, is deep at several positions, draft the guys that will help for a decade and don't worry about 2-year signings.

Would love to see us nab him. A bigger end would help against the run too. Especially since nickle is practically our base defense. Plus I hope we nab at least two pass rushers. Need a nice rotation of pass rushers. Just keep coming in waves if we are going to commit to a 4 Man front that just rushes and plays the run on the way to the QB. Atlanta rushers got tired in the lowB repuS that cost them.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome back. Wondering your thoughts on which RB you like best as a backup to Bell (and which round you think we should go there). And also wondering if Godwin is available in round 2, do you think the team is interested?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Welcome back. Wondering your thoughts on which RB you like best as a backup to Bell (and which round you think we should go there). And also wondering if Godwin is available in round 2, do you think the team is interested?

On Godwin, yeah, they are interested. They are bringing him in for a visit. You only get 30. So, yeah, very interested. I doubt he makes it though. He should go late-1st, early 2nd, much like Zay Jones. I think they are underrated.

With most college teams going to a spread offense, a lot of RBs have to catch the ball out of the backfield and that is what I am looking to find, another RB that can run and catch. I think that Mixon has that skill set and his off-the-field issue puts him in the middle rounds. I think they would consider Dalvin Cook or McCaffery if either fell to #30. They won't, but you have to consider them. McCaffery is especially interesting because he lines up in the slot some. I think Kareem Hunt is in the mix. I like Wayne Gallman. The Steelers were at Oklahoma, but I think it was more for Samaje Perine than Mixon. They like D'onte Foreman. Corey Clement is another guy. They visited Marlon Mack at his pro day. Both RBs from UNC, TJ Logan and Elijah Hood. Those are late round guys. I would not mind seeing them bring in Tarik Cohen. He is considered a 7th/undrafted. I like him in that range even though he was 179 at the combine. He is a tough runner with great hands and shows prowess as a receiver. With the propensity to search out smaller RBs that Haley has, he and Hood should be on the radar. Good draft for RBs though. I think the value is in R3-R4 but you can get quality backups down through the 7th and even as undrafted.

This draft is just so heavy in certain positions, someone has to slide.

PS: I left off Boom Williams from Kentucky. Tough runner. Also Devine Redding of Indiana. Both might go undrafted, both could play in the NFL.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Webb is very likely to go in the 2nd round. I doubt he lasts until the 3rd. A lot of people really don't follow his career. He started at Texas Tech. In his first season as a starter, he kept Patrick Mahommes on the bench (Mahommes was a freshman). Then, Mahommes overtook him. So, that is battling with a guy climbing into the first round. Webb graduates, goes to Cal. The Cal offense leaned on him more than they did on Jared Goff, who was a high first rounder. He had 620 attempts at Cal last year. Goff had 529 in his final season. His completion percentage was not far off of Goff. He threw for 4295 yards. Less INTs than Goff, but also had 5 less TDs. He might sneak in at the bottom of the first, start of the 2nd. He shouldn't be far behind Mahommes, but none of these QBs in this draft are studs.

And, I'm not one to draft a QB wondering if my franchise is leaving. I am fine with going with Landry Jones a season, taking my beating, and drafting in the top 10.

I tend to agree that Webb will be a top 64 pick, meaning if we want him, it will have to be in round #2. He's not ready now, BUT with seasoning I think he'll be a good one if he goes to the right team.

I am NOT fine with Landry Jones at all, and even with a full season of him starting, we won't be drafting in the top 10. With Landry Jones as the starter this is a 7-9 type of team.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills finished 7-9 last year, they draft 10th overall this year. The Bengals, if they did not have a tie, would either be 7-9 or 8-8. They hold the 9th spot. So, if not for a tie, a 7-9 team drafts in the top 10.

So, assuming you are correct and they do finish 7-9, and not 6-10, they are right at the top 10. If they go 6-10, they are in the 7-10 range.

Either way, if we think we can find a QB in the 2nd in this draft, we certainly can draft a better one after Landry tanks it for a year. This draft isn't strong at QB, yet we can find one drafting 30th and people assume we cannot find one drafting in the top 15 in another draft. That logic is a little baffling.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I know the team has draft needs at : OLB , MLB, Corner, and TE.

I dont know what categories are heavy in this draft.

@1-30 what do you think will BPA + Need, that the Steelers should go with.

ps. Soooooo glad to see you posting.!:hug::cheer2: :tears_of_joy:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
nice to see you back TMC. What would be your top 4 picks that you think would be realistically available around 3.30 and in the second round? What do you think of Watt?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Oh yeah what's your thoughts on sliding back and picking up an extra pick

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I know the team has draft needs at : OLB , MLB, Corner, and TE.

I dont know what categories are heavy in this draft.

@1-30 what do you think will BPA + Need, that the Steelers should go with.

ps. Soooooo glad to see you posting.!:hug::cheer2: :tears_of_joy:

I think the BPA at #30 will probably be a DB. I don't think the edge rushers are far off of them though and the draft is so heavy at DB, the prudent strategy may be to nab the edge you like at #30 and then come back to DB at #62. This team has a glut of needs though. I mean, in reality, they could draft an edge, CB, safety (Mitchell has 2 years left and a 3rd safety plays a lot), nickel, moneybacker, WR, TE, RB, QB. I mean, they have needs. It is just how those spots coincide with how their talent board stacks.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
nice to see you back TMC. What would be your top 4 picks that you think would be realistically available around 3.30 and in the second round? What do you think of Watt?

I like Watt well enough. He is long, struggles sometimes with leverage at the point of attack, has to get low to handle some guys, get underneath them, then can struggle to peel off. I think he has to get stronger and work on being better against the run, but he is really solid in coverage, shows promise as a pass rusher, is really athletic for a 6'5" guy. I think he needs some time to develop, but he is smart, picks up the game, takes to coaching, does what is asked of him, all the intangibles you want. So, I like him well enough.

My top 4 picks, realistic? I like Chidobe Awuzie, Budda Baker, Takk McKinley, and probably Watt/Lawson at #30.

At 62, some belief that Baker and Awuzie may slip. I hope so. Some thought McKinley's injury could cause a slide, be good with that too. If we go DB in the first, I like Rivers, Josh Jones, Quincy Wilson, Gerald Everett, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jordan Leggett, Raekwon McMillan, Zay Jones or Godwin if they slide, Ryan Anderson, how much time do you have?

Last edited:

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
TMC - good to see you back. Justin worked his magic again, it seems.

What do you think of Adoree Jackson in the 2nd round? Not a big guy, but watched him several games this year and impressed with his ability to stick with receivers. I think he is a good get in the 2nd round, and would likely play a lot his rookie season as the slot CB.

What do you think?

Also, what do you think of Joe Mathis as a later pick? Foot injury, surgeries prevented him from running, but college film was very interesting. He also put up 32 reps at his pro day. I think he is worth taking a flier.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Oh yeah what's your thoughts on sliding back and picking up an extra pick

I'd like to have another pick in the top 100, but I don't see them moving back. They will have 4-5 guys they like and if one slips to them, they will draft him. I mean, if they liked trading back, they certainly should have had the opportunity last year with Burns, but they held pat and drafted him. Rumor was if they didn't, Arizona would. Do you risk losing the guy you want? Steelers usually don't.

Won't trade up either. Too many good players to choose from, they will probably do what they always do, stand pat, draft someone that half the people like and the other half hate.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC - good to see you back. Justin worked his magic again, it seems.

What do you think of Adoree Jackson in the 2nd round? Not a big guy, but watched him several games this year and impressed with his ability to stick with receivers. I think he is a good get in the 2nd round, and would likely play a lot his rookie season as the slot CB.

What do you think?

Also, what do you think of Joe Mathis as a later pick? Foot injury, surgeries prevented him from running, but college film was very interesting. He also put up 32 reps at his pro day. I think he is worth taking a flier.

Jackson is a bit of a gambler, will fade off guys to bait a throw and jump some routes. He will get burned at times. If you think you can coach that out of him, he could become a very good corner. At worst, he can play inside in the slot and in this age, a slot is a starter. That protects him over the top. Good ball skills, can run with most WRs, quick, nice COD. In the 2nd, sure.

Mathis is a tough read. Very little tape. Flashes. He has claimed a bench of 40 reps, maybe, don't know. Injured, it is hard to work out. But, 32 is nice. His full pro day comes up. His ability to run and change directions will be key for him. His medical too. I'm not against him in the later rounds, but I'm not taking him in the top 4. Too many healthy players with tape that I have more confidence in.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I'd like to have another pick in the top 100, but I don't see them moving back. They will have 4-5 guys they like and if one slips to them, they will draft him. I mean, if they liked trading back, they certainly should have had the opportunity last year with Burns, but they held pat and drafted him. Rumor was if they didn't, Arizona would. Do you risk losing the guy you want? Steelers usually don't.

Won't trade up either. Too many good players to choose from, they will probably do what they always do, stand pat, draft someone that half the people like and the other half hate.
Was wondering with this being a deeper draft also deeper at positions we need would they entertain moving back. Thanks for the feedback. Bout to link this thread to some of my FB friends to read.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

steel shinin

Reaction score
TMC!!!!! Appreciate your input as always.

My question is kind of two fold. We have seen the Steelers unwillingness to adjust their scheme as a whole to remedy being outcoached and out played by a few teams. (Obviously New England being #1). Tomlin was recently quoted as saying that the Steelers "won't change their philosophy just to beat New England". If you are going into this draft what does it look like if you are calling the Steelers bluff and they know they need to adjust to the Patriots. To me there is no more important issue than this and it effects everything they will do moving forward. Obviously they didn't panic in free agency but do you think they realistically feel like they can matchup better with New England on draft upgrades alone? Personally, I think if you're going to allocate upwards of 65% of your cap space to your offense they better be the unit that is aggressive and carrying the team. You better be outscoring teams, even New England.

I think they should draft two edge rushers in the 1st three rounds and a CB. Maybe ONE offensive player in the first three rounds but I wouldn't even do that. What does your board look like by round?