• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2018-19 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Cullen is an easy choice and damn cheap. He should have just stayed. I have no clue on Jack other than all of the not so good stuff I've read. You know great players make other players good. Let's hope that's the case. A quiet off-season is good. I'm looking forward to the season already.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Saw where JR said that he was done until September. I hope he doesn't forget to sign Oleksiak. He also has some of the WBS guys to take care of Jarry, Blueger, DePaulii and Prow.

Looks like Jack Johnson's comments have really pissed Torts off. I'm starting to like JJ a little better.

Having 5 solid centers are a good thing. Lacking at left wing is a bad thing. Cullen and Sheahan have played wing, Brassard said he would. This opens up a ton of possibilities and I think we'll see Brassard as line 2 left wing with Malkin. This will be a short experiment as all three are UFA's next year. Sheahan and Brassard will have value and hopefully we don't just give them away.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they have signed Oleksiak to a 2-year contract. I thought I read that somewhere. If not, I'm sure that will get done.

btw, F Torts. He's an asshat and a **** stirrer. The Pens have a winning culture, unlike the one-and-done Jackets. Torts can kiss the Pens' '16 and '17 rings. Dumbass.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Jack Johnson's comments have really pissed Torts off. I'm starting to like JJ a little better.

It wasn't just Johnson's comments. Apparently GMJR openly questioned the manner in which the Jackets used Johnson. Not a good move. I agree with Torts when it comes to JR. Needs to mind his own business and worry about the Pens.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
It wasn't just Johnson's comments. Apparently GMJR openly questioned the manner in which the Jackets used Johnson. Not a good move. I agree with Torts when it comes to JR. Needs to mind his own business and worry about the Pens.

I honestly think those comments from GMJR came from feeling out Johnson. He may have talked out of turn, but he is going to back his new, shiny penny. Torts is a loose cannon and proves it anytime when it comes to the Pens. He has a complex and jealousy toward them. He is trying to pump up his team. Meanwhile, you don't think JJ will want to put their dicks in the ice. Bring it on Torts!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Or, he could have just not said anything at all.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly think those comments from GMJR came from feeling out Johnson. He may have talked out of turn, but he is going to back his new, shiny penny.

Agreed...thats were the info came from...

But as a member of senior management.....JR should of known better than to go public with his comments,,

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Rutherford doesn't hold anything back. He probably should as GM, but it is refreshing to have people in sports give honest answers and not the canned crap that we always get.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. Tortz is pissed.
Wonder how the Pens/CBJ rivalry will play out this season

Tommy8Maddox

Reaction score
Cullen signing is a bargain. Will he really produce? Probably not. I think more there for his experience and grittiness.

Johnson signing makes sense. Pens need to upgrade defensemen and for over $3M per season it is a fair offer. Pens didn't overpay.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I think JR is a little sensitive about the Johnson trade. It's been received mostly in a negative fashion all over the media. JR has a strange affinity for bringing players he has drafted or managed back. It's almost like they are his children. He drafted Johnson in his Carolina days. Also Johnson is Sid's BFF. I'm not thrilled about this deal but he is now a Penguin and I will root for his success. Gonchar has his work cut out for him.

JR should have kept his mouth shut. At least it wasn't the F bomb version that spewed from the mouth of Torts.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The thing I keep hearing is that Jack Johnson was on bad teams, that is why he stunk. But if you dig into the metrics, every team he was on was better when Jack Johnson wasn't on the ice. Possession, goals against, the whole shooting match. He just isn't a good defenseman. Is he an upgrade over Ruhwedl? Probably. But as a whole, our defense corps did not really improve much with this signing.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Sarge, you are a Debbie Downer. lol At first, I was excited about this signing, but the more I am hearing and reading about his stats and career to this point, I am frightened that we got a "below the line" dman that is no better than a bottom 6. I really, really, really am hoping a light flickers on and he becomes a force on the ice. GMJR did sign him to a cap friendly deal(longer than I like) that he will not break the bank. If he exceeds expectations, even for three seasons, then they signed him to a helluva bargain. All I can say is, let it play out. Hope for the best! Ugh. . . .

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he will do better in Pittsburgh. No one can say for sure. If they play him in a 5-6 type pairing, he may be alright with limited minutes that pairing brings. Who knows? Maybe the light will come on and he will be the next Nicklas Lidstrom. It is just hard to get excited about a guy that has been as mediocre as he has. I guess we'll see.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Too bad that money couldn't go to lock down Cole. Maybe with a different role than he had in CBJ he can turn the lights on. Sid's leadership should help, too.

Trading Jarry makes sense. Hope folks don't get too mad over it.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Too bad that money couldn't go to lock down Cole. Maybe with a different role than he had in CBJ he can turn the lights on. Sid's leadership should help, too.

Trading Jarry makes sense. Hope folks don't get too mad over it.

I think Cole was more about Sully not wanting to deal with him, than the money. Just like Reaves. If you don't fit his system and follow the leader, sooner or later you'll be gone.

I'd like to see Jarry around one more year. He has a greater potential than DeSmith. That said, he is a solid bargaining chip

bmoritz

Reaction score
Any chance we can get in on the Karlsson market? I'd gladly dump Letang, Maatta, and Kessel at this point, especially Letang.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
LOL I did the EXACT same thing!

Make that three of us lol.

All our youngsters are out of the nest.
Seemed just yesterday guys like Sheary, Mooseknuckle, Rust and the like were called up.

Hopefully Rust shows his worth now.
Seems we got older. Sprong and Guentzel need to provide that youthful impact we saw in 2016

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Cole was more about Sully not wanting to deal with him, than the money. Just like Reaves. If you don't fit his system and follow the leader, sooner or later you'll be gone.

I'd like to see Jarry around one more year. He has a greater potential than DeSmith. That said, he is a solid bargaining chip

I'm starting to believe Sullivan has developed a stubbornes. Rightfully so, but it has impacted the chemistry of this team.
A new season and some extended time away from hockey will do wonders for the guys though.