• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2018-19 Penguins and NHL Offseason

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Figured it was time to start a new thread for offseason trades and free agency. Pens freed up some cap space today with two guys I think just about everyone wanted them to move.

Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger
Following Following @DarrenDreger
More
Pending trade call Sheary and Hunwick to the Buffalo Sabres for a pick.

Bob McKenzie

Verified account

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Following Following @TSNBobMcKenzie
More Bob McKenzie Retweeted Darren Dreger
PIT gets a 2019 fourth-round pick that could become a third-round pick. No salary retained in the deal.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Here's the reported terms for Jack Johnson...

Jason Mackey

Verified account

@JMackeyPG
2h2 hours ago
More
.@MarkMaddenX first reported that the Penguins intend to sign defenseman Jack Johnson Sunday to a five-year deal. Confirming that. Source says it will be in the $16 million range total (between $3-$3.5 million AAV).

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Taking care of their own...

Pittsburgh Penguins

Verified account

@penguins
2m2 minutes ago
More
The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forward Riley Sheahan to a one-year contract. The deal carries an average annual value of $2.1 million.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
If you hear a loud scream on Sunday. Think nothing of it. It will be me just before I jump off a bridge. Signing Jack Johnson with the Hunwick/Sheary cap space seems like a foolish move. We all complain that Letang makes mental errors. Just wait until Johnson takes the ice. Hopefully reports of this signing are wrong but there are so many out there I'm figuring it's only a signature away.

I guess he will be taking Fleury's seat next to Sid on the plane.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
If you hear a loud scream on Sunday. Think nothing of it. It will be me just before I jump off a bridge. Signing Jack Johnson with the Hunwick/Sheary cap space seems like a foolish move. We all complain that Letang makes mental errors. Just wait until Johnson takes the ice. Hopefully reports of this signing are wrong but there are so many out there I'm figuring it's only a signature away.

I guess he will be taking Fleury's seat next to Sid on the plane.

Yeah, I slept on the whole Jack Johnson thing, and when I woke up I still didn't like it. Might as well have kept Hunwick. Would have been cheaper, anyway. I am beginning to think GMJR got lucky in 16 and 17, because his last few moves have sucked ***, and that is being nice.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
We can hope that Johnson's career is reborn like Shultz, Oleksiak, Daley, Sheahan and others that have come in with a new start and turned their struggling careers around. JJ was a top 3 pick. There has to be something there still.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That article breaks it down as good as it can get. If Johnson was signing a one-year prove it deal, it wouldn't be so bad. I just don't get why you sign this type of player to a long-term deal.

Good point on Rutherford, Sarge. There is a large segment who thinks he's infallible yet every move he made last offseason was terrible. I still think the main reason the Pens lost their chance at a third Cup in a row last because of last year's offseason.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
That article breaks it down as good as it can get. If Johnson was signing a one-year prove it deal, it wouldn't be so bad. I just don't get why you sign this type of player to a long-term deal.

Good point on Rutherford, Sarge. There is a large segment who thinks he's infallible yet every move he made last offseason was terrible. I still think the main reason the Pens lost their chance at a third Cup in a row last because of last year's offseason.

I thought it came down to the Brassard trade. The Pens were humming along, good chemistry, everyone knew their role and they were performing well in those roles. Everything was building toward a lengthy Cup run. He made that trade and the team never looked in synch and viable again the rest of the season. He shouldn't have made any moves. Sometimes you don't **** with what is working.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
GMJR is not perfect. He wasn't exactly lighting it up in CAR when he left. We'll see what comes out of the latest moves. He did mess with the team when he didn't have to this past season. He's not untouchable.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw on the LGP board that the deal is 6 years, $14.5 million for Johnson, according to Dejan Kovacevic. If true, $2.41 million is better, but that term though........

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Let's make Jack Johnson Great Again.............. or realistically Let's make Sid happy again.

On a positive. If Seattle enters the league next year. We could leave him unprotected and bribe them to take him.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Just saw on the LGP board that the deal is 6 years, $14.5 million for Johnson, according to Dejan Kovacevic. If true, $2.41 million is better, but that term though........

6 years? I hope that's not really true, but then again, a lower salary is good. Geez, I hope it works out.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score

The $$$ are easier to stomach but the term ? hell no. Going to be fun to see which media guy the whole thing right.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope none of them are right and Jack Johnson goes somewhere else.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an article with more info from Darrin Dreger. Says there is no deal in place for Jack Johnson, although he believe JJ is the Pens primary target. Also believes Rutherford may be shopping Tristan Jarry as several teams are panicking over the lack of goaltending in the NHL. Purely speculation it seems, but interesting nonetheless.

https://frshockey.com/nhl/penguins/dreger-rutherford-may-not-be-done-trading/

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This Jack Johnson thing isn't official and the nhl is blowing it up.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
There it is...

SiriusXM NHL Network

Verified account

@SiriusXMNHL
59s59 seconds ago
More
The @penguins have officially signed UFA Jack Johnson to a 5-year 16.25M contract. 3.25M - AAV.

And a former Pen gets paid

Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger
Following Following @DarrenDreger
More
Ian Cole to Colorado. 3 years at $4.25 million per.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully Johnson works out welll with the Pens.
Colorado with Cole just got a bit stronger. Big bodied team that looks to be moving upward

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
****** Jack Johnson. Waste of money.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Pens bring back Dad ! 1 year $650,000. Not going to get much better for $650,00. Figure Brassard or Sheahan will be gone shortly.

Reactions: MTC

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts too. My bet is Brassard. Guy just doesn’t fit. But Cullen? FA has been entertaining for the first day, I’ll say that.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
One interesting caveat is Brassard had said, that he was willing to move to wing. Center's seem to be in demand this year. With his fit questionable, I think there would be more value to move him.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Pens bring back Dad ! 1 year $650,000. Not going to get much better for $650,00. Figure Brassard or Sheahan will be gone shortly.

Should help out our faceoffs.
If Brassard wants to move to wing, put him on Cullen's line.

Cullen makes any winger decent.
I'd love to have Reaves at this point. A gritty winger, a speedy winger(Rust, maybe Brassard) with Cullen.

Would make a good 4th line