• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2019-20 Penguins and NHL Offseason

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The NHL season is over and it was great to see Boston lose. Now let's hope the Pens have a great offseason and step up as serious contenders next year.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I only want to add two things:

1) I hope the off season trade talks have shaken this team up to be the great players and team that they can be;

2) I just wanted to be the first reply in a year long thread.

Go Pens!

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I want to see some change. Malkin, Letang and Kessel are 3 guys that are aging and still have value. Reading about the Zucker deal for Kessel was an awakening. I honestly thought he would have a little higher value. All 3 need to change their mindset and become more team need oriented. The Pens set the NHL model for the last 5 years or so. Others have copied and improved upon it. Adapt or get passed by. I hope all the big names adapt their games. It's been a great ride but it's almost over. Smart retooling will hopefully help extend the window. To me, getting swept and eliminated in Round 1 isn't good enough with the roster we have.

There will be a ton of options available at the draft, both picks and trades. I hope JR pulls off a blockbuster.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
When all is said and done we got to enjoy Sid as a career Pen.

A lot of superstars do not stay with one team.
Sid and Ovie are rare breeds. We as fans got to experience the rivalry.

Honestly I’m content as a Pens fan.

When the next captain takes over Sid, I’ll root for another cup.
In the mean time, I’m enjoying in magic Sid and company pull off

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'm excited what GMJR pulls off in the off-season. Looking trade Kessel is clear that he wants to make changes. We'll see what happens and what he is capable of doing. July 1st starts Free Agency.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
When all is said and done we got to enjoy Sid as a career Pen.

A lot of superstars do not stay with one team.
Sid and Ovie are rare breeds. We as fans got to experience the rivalry.

Honestly I’m content as a Pens fan.

When the next captain takes over Sid, I’ll root for another cup.
In the mean time, I’m enjoying in magic Sid and company pull off

I got to watch Mario, once in a lifetime talent(most talented player to ever play), so I'm on board with that.

Vader

Reaction score
I don't care about blockbuster trades. I want a cup contending team unlike the noncompetitive limp wristed abortion of an effort last season. They need depth and skill on the wings. This isn't the NFL or the NBA so the draft isn't going to cure this. They will need to move some pieces but I'd probably look to FA. They need a Bonino type player.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Already had them both. Sully wants guys like ZAR and Simon: Fast, soft smurfs that don't score much. Can't have any physical guys. They muck up the mediocrity.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Gudas and Wilson.
Can we trade for Reaves and Engelland?

Good Lord ! This will make the caps hard to play against. On the positive, there will be more powerplays.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I would have love to have Niskanen on this team.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Step one- Trade Maata for Cap space completed. Pens traded Maatta to Chicago for forward Kahun and a 5th. That bring back $3M in cap money.

I always liked Maatta. Cancer, shoulder surgeries and other injuries made his road a tough one. It's difficult for a 2 time Cup winner to be the odd man out at 24.

bmoritz

Reaction score
So, so happy Maatta is gone. He's been horrible the past few years.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Maatta was never the same after the bout with cancer. I hoped he would turn it around. His skating buried him.

Kahun besides being on a cheap contract has some upside. He can move the puck well, has a good shot. He's not physical and does get ridden off the puck. $3M is a good start to adding some talent. Up next, Jack Johnson

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Maatta was never the same after the bout with cancer. I hoped he would turn it around. His skating buried him.

Kahun besides being on a cheap contract has some upside. He can move the puck well, has a good shot. He's not physical and does get ridden off the puck. $3M is a good start to adding some talent. Up next, Jack Johnson

He’ll be a McCann clone. Good trade

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
He’ll be a McCann clone. Good trade

Good comparison. On another board Hawks fans are calling him a top 6 forward. He has solid 5v5 advanced stats. For an undrafted rookie he looks good. He's a much better winger than a center.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Good comparison. On another board Hawks fans are calling him a top 6 forward. He has solid 5v5 advanced stats. For an undrafted rookie he looks good. He's a much better winger than a center.

He only has one more year on his contract. I hope we can lock him up. Either way, we walk away with a need and some more cap space, so we're good.

str8liner

Reaction score

I think the Injury the other year really took its toll too. Don't remember yelling Dammit Olli! near as much before the injury.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

He’s definitely a McCann. Should fit the Pens system.
Will he click with Geno though? Malkin requires certain wingers for some reason

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
He’s definitely a McCann. Should fit the Pens system.
Will he click with Geno though? Malkin requires certain wingers for some reason

Right now I don't have a clue where to put him. We have a pile of middle six forwards. I can't believe there won't be 2 or 3 more moves coming soon.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Right now I don't have a clue where to put him. We have a pile of middle six forwards. I can't believe there won't be 2 or 3 more moves coming soon.

Maybe they're thinking about a permanent pairing with Malkin?I would have hoped for some significant defense, and maybe a physical guy to even the score some?

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Maybe they're thinking about a permanent pairing with Malkin?I would have hoped for some significant defense, and maybe a physical guy to even the score some?

Kahun seems to have a really good hockey IQ. He finds soft spots and can move the puck quick if the shot isn't there. One of the raps on him is that he doesn't shoot enough and I think that may be why he didn't see much powerplay time. He is solid defensively and I hope he could find chemistry with Malkin. I'm still hoping GMJR will get Malkin something better.