• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2019-20 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
We have no defense, no forecheck, no powerplay, no game in the neutral zone. Other than that we are OK.

Hey they did get a power play goal out OF 7 tries today...haha. Gosh nothing sucks worse than watching professionals mail it in.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Look back at the schedule. They were rolling. Lost the 2nd Toronto game and Sully ripped them in the media. Won two games since. He very well may have lost the room.

I think you’re very well right

Vader

Reaction score
I like Sully but something isn't right. You've got to be able to adapt. After they won the back to back cups they were rolling in Jan or Feb (can't remember which) and they had a couple of physical guys in Reeves and another guy who's name escapes me at the moment. But Sully didn't want them and traded them for magic beans. Since that time the Pens have been marshmallow soft. Now it could be that the team has given up on Sully. If that's the case he has to go. I like the guy but when you can't win with Sid and Malkin then something is wrong. I wanted Tomlin gone because he couldn't win with all this talent. Same holds true for Sully. If he can't win he has to go.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English

Hate to break this out, but it's time...That overachieving team we had a blast watching is deader than last Thanksgiving's Day turkey. Seems like when Sid came back they lost their collective edge, stopped having fun and stopped paying attention to details. Maybe it's time for Sully to go which would be too bad but someone needs to whip the team into shape and assemble a gang tough enough to handle the Wilsons of this league. We had one in Gudbranson not long ago. He took care of Wilson in no time.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Sully but something isn't right. You've got to be able to adapt. After they won the back to back cups they were rolling in Jan or Feb (can't remember which) and they had a couple of physical guys in Reeves and another guy who's name escapes me at the moment. But Sully didn't want them and traded them for magic beans. Since that time the Pens have been marshmallow soft. Now it could be that the team has given up on Sully. If that's the case he has to go. I like the guy but when you can't win with Sid and Malkin then something is wrong. I wanted Tomlin gone because he couldn't win with all this talent. Same holds true for Sully. If he can't win he has to go.

Yeah it was February 2018 when those trades that killed the team happened.
Since then they’ve been going through the motions.

My theory is they are skilled, go on a streak then get humbled by bigger/physical opponents then lose confidence.
When those moments happen, that’s when you need locker room leadership. To instill purpose, confidence and some mojo back in the team.

Vader

Reaction score
Yeah it was February 2018 when those trades that killed the team happened.
Since then they’ve been going through the motions.

My theory is they are skilled, go on a streak then get humbled by bigger/physical opponents then lose confidence.
When those moments happen, that’s when you need locker room leadership. To instill purpose, confidence and some mojo back in the team.

I'd just add that they realize the team traded away all their physical players and they also know that they have no chance against physical teams. So they'll rack up points against some teams and get pounded into submission by physical teams. If I'm Sid I have a meeting with the FO and tell them go get some real defensemen in here or else.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe Sid is the one who doesn't want the likes of Gudbranson, Reeves, etc. on his team... It was those type players who almost ended his career, so maybe he doesn't want them in the locker room. One things for sure, the team has been a lot less physical since his return.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Since Sid returned it's like they no longer take initiative. They just wait to see what Sid tells them to do.

Whoever said that it's like Tomlin and the Steelers, you nailed it.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Since Sid returned it's like they no longer take initiative. They just wait to see what Sid tells them to do.

Whoever said that it's like Tomlin and the Steelers, you nailed it.

It would lead me to think Sid calls the shots and it is his way or no way. I'm in super speculative mode here. It's clear something aint right at home.

str8liner

Reaction score
Well I went a step further today and didn't even DVR the game. I thought maybe that would give them some luck since they seem to win when I don't. Looks like those days are over too. Listen to the radio broadcast for awhile when the Canes tied it at 2-2 then got busy, then check the score later.....

6-2 lol....They must have taken the 3rd period off evidently.

One freaking day atop the standings then its over.....Has to be something going on internally that causes this to happen.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
You are supposed to measure your team against the best teams in your division. They got embarrassed two games in a row, at home. The odd-man breaks, open nets, total lack of defense, two goals a game is alarming. They practically have all of their men back and they seem a lot worse. Maybe they need time to gel, but it will be on the golf course, if a fire is not lit under some arses really soon. Sully and the players keep saying the right things, but it's not generated on the ice. Listening to the 3rd period sounded like CAR were on the ice by themselves. The Pens radio team was embarrassed. How do you think the fans feel?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
You are supposed to measure your team against the best teams in your division. They got embarrassed two games in a row, at home. The odd-man breaks, open nets, total lack of defense, two goals a game is alarming. They practically have all of their men back and they seem a lot worse. Maybe they need time to gel, but it will be on the golf course, if a fire is not lit under some arses really soon. Sully and the players keep saying the right things, but it's not generated on the ice. Listening to the 3rd period sounded like CAR were on the ice by themselves. The Pens radio team was embarrassed. How do you think the fans feel?

Gosh I can't imagine paying good money to go see that! Losing is easy to take when you give 100% and fail. It's easy to take when you know your team doesn't have any talent. The Pens have plenty of that. If you just break it down to being professional in your job(it doesn't matter what job) it's really unacceptable to offer up a product like that to paying customers.

That's my 2

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Gosh I can't imagine paying good money to go see that! Losing is easy to take when you give 100% and fail. It's easy to take when you know your team doesn't have any talent. The Pens have plenty of that. If you just break it down to being professional in your job(it doesn't matter what job) it's really unacceptable to offer up a product like that to paying customers.

That's my 2

My co-worker has season tickets with his family and they take turns going to games. He said he is done for the regular season after yesterday. He's gone to eight games and they have won one. I tried blaming him for their losses, but it's really not funny anymore.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
We go to about 20-25 games a year. Just like the Steelers, not all games are great. The Pens have made the playoffs for 13 straight years. Even at the bad games, we still have fun. It's a night out and usually some good hockey. Hockey is a great sport live, TV misses so much away from the puck.

The Pens will make the Playoffs this year. I doubt they will go deep. So many issues that need addressed. Like any sport, get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Losing 8-10 is inexcusable for a team with this core. The door is slamming shut. I've enjoyed the Crosby/Malkin era just like I enjoyed the Lemieux era. Hell, I lived through the 80's with the Pens and will continue to go.

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
My co-worker has season tickets with his family and they take turns going to games. He said he is done for the regular season after yesterday. He's gone to eight games and they have won one. I tried blaming him for their losses, but it's really not funny anymore.

PM me his phone number. (If he has decent seats)

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Quote of the day

"Crosby struggled mightily against Carolina, is a career-worst minus-8 and is an unfathomable minus-17 in 19 road games this season." (Yohe).

I'll add in Justin Schultz. at -14. He hasn't been right in 2 seasons. Injuries suck but it is what he has become.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to the 3rd period sounded like CAR were on the ice by themselves. The Pens radio team was embarrassed.

That's one thing I really like about listening to Mike and Phil, especially Phil, they don't sugar coat things like they tend to do on the local TV broadcast

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Spike

Reaction score
So are the Pens going to make the playoffs? i got burned out on hockey

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
So are the Pens going to make the playoffs? i got burned out on hockey

Not at the rate they are going. They are in a free fall right now with no answers in sight. Personally, I don’t think they’ll make the playoffs, but if they do it is going to be an Islander-esque embarrassment.