• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2019 NFL Salary cap

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
The 2019 NFL salary cap is project to go up another $10M league wide. That said, with Shazier, Bell and a lot of dead money coming off the books, we should have around an estimated $30M before we start doing any new contracts. This front office better sign some splash players with that chunk of change to fill our roster holes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25512083/nfl-salary-cap-187m-1911m-2019

The final number, likely to be set in March, will fall in a range between $187 million and $191.1 million. It was $167 million in 2017 and is $177.2 million this year.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It'll be a little interesting to see the Steelers approach. They have Ramon Foster in the final year of his deal and there's the talk about what to do with Gilbert. I don't like the idea of replacing 40 percent of your offensive line in one offseason. As far as making an acquisition, it's going to be tough to sign a big-time free agent (and out of character). Given their lack of success in the draft, I would not be disappointed trading a premium draft pick for a top of the line playmaker. Mack transformed the Bears from a middle feeder to a legit threat in the NFL. Cooper has been a terrific addition for the Cowboys. There's risk involved, but you have to maximize your chances when you actually have a great quarterback.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It'll be a little interesting to see the Steelers approach. They have Ramon Foster in the final year of his deal and there's the talk about what to do with Gilbert. I don't like the idea of replacing 40 percent of your offensive line in one offseason. As far as making an acquisition, it's going to be tough to sign a big-time free agent (and out of character). Given their lack of success in the draft, I would not be disappointed trading a premium draft pick for a top of the line playmaker. Mack transformed the Bears from a middle feeder to a legit threat in the NFL. Cooper has been a terrific addition for the Cowboys. There's risk involved, but you have to maximize your chances when you actually have a great quarterback.

I think Foster would sign a two year for on the cheap.And they could always have Gilbert restructure. Keep both.

Not sure there will be a premium given up this year, but yeah that would be the route to go.

They need a outside fast WR (draft),speedy ILBer (draft) a CB (free agency) and FS (free agency)

The route I hope they go...

Last edited:

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Foster has openly said he wants to get paid. To me he's a walk free agent but that depends on if and who they may sign as a free agent once free agency opens up. If they can fill a hole with a free agent on defense then you draft a R1 LG where we have been VERY successful drafting OL and not so much with LBs, DB & S.

Gilbert, man don't even know what's up with his knee. Hope he had surgery and they kept it quiet. He is missed as Feiler isn't getting it done at RT

ktw1021

Reaction score
We supposedly should have a ton of cap space, personally I give Ramon some money and dump Gilbert
Basically this years somewhat so called splash signings (Burnett and Bostic) are significant under achievers, bye to both
Lets try again this coming year with Lbs and Dbs as a priority

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Foster has openly said he wants to get paid. To me he's a walk free agent but that depends on if and who they may sign as a free agent once free agency opens up. If they can fill a hole with a free agent on defense then you draft a R1 LG where we have been VERY successful drafting OL and not so much with LBs, DB & S.

Gilbert, man don't even know what's up with his knee. Hope he had surgery and they kept it quiet. He is missed as Feiler isn't getting it done at RT

That comment was said to be just Foster being sarcastic. If he can be had on the cheap you keep him. As you have too many other areas that need upgrading.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Foster was being sarcastic when he said that. He's going to be 33, I'm not sure they sign him. Gilbert is good when he plays, Chukes looked pretty good the game he played. Gilbert has missed alot off time, and that's alot to pay a guy who missed a ton of time.

They need an athletic every down ILB, secondary, and a pass rusher opposite Watt. In no particular order

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Spike

Reaction score
This front office better sign some splash players with that chunk of change to fill our roster holes.

ha ha

I will tell u how it will go

They will lowball offer anybody of quality they set their sights on and wait and wait till the FA barrel is empty then find a cheap 3rd tier player to fill in, fans will line up on their knees to joyfully blow the organization for making any signings at all

Yeah, like that

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Finney is just as good as Foster, in some ways better. Foster can sign elsewhere, someone might pay him 3-4 million a year.

Gilbert is sticky. He's good when healthy, but Feiler has replaced him and is a bit more than just a back up tackle. I'd like to see the Steelers trade Gilbert if possible. If not, he might be cut.

Either way, we need to draft an OL player this year. If its a guard, we can get that player in rounds 4-7.

skyhigh44

Reaction score
The 2019 NFL salary cap is project to go up another $10M league wide. That said, with Shazier, Bell and a lot of dead money coming off the books, we should have around an estimated $30M before we start doing any new contracts. This front office better sign some splash players with that chunk of change to fill our roster holes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25512083/nfl-salary-cap-187m-1911m-2019

The final number, likely to be set in March, will fall in a range between $187 million and $191.1 million. It was $167 million in 2017 and is $177.2 million this year.

I hate these posts. Fans act like the Steelers are the only team in the league who will get $10M cap increase. There are a lot of teams out there with a lot of $$ to spend. Same off-season, same bargain basement diving only more expensive.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
with Shazier, Bell and a lot of dead money coming off the books, we should have around an estimated $30M before we start doing any new contracts.

I thought it was actually a little higher. Are you including the money saved from Bell this year that will be rolled over?

bmoritz

Reaction score
Does anybody have a good link to potential free agents leaguewide?

Steelers1356

Reaction score
ha ha

I will tell u how it will go

They will lowball offer anybody of quality they set their sights on and wait and wait till the FA barrel is empty then find a cheap 3rd tier player to fill in, fans will line up on their knees to joyfully blow the organization for making any signings at all

Yeah, like that

Spending money on impact players is not the Steelers way, it's a recipe for a losing season. We must draft and develop. Just look how bad the Bears are after signing Khalil Mack.....Oh wait!

Spike

Reaction score
I would announce we'd trade 2 first rd picks for Jalen Ramsey today, and get the deal started now, lol

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Finney is just as good as Foster, in some ways better. Foster can sign elsewhere, someone might pay him 3-4 million a year.

Gilbert is sticky. He's good when healthy, but Feiler has replaced him and is a bit more than just a back up tackle. I'd like to see the Steelers trade Gilbert if possible. If not, he might be cut.

Either way, we need to draft an OL player this year. If its a guard, we can get that player in rounds 4-7.

I would be fine with Finney and Okafor. Gilbert is becoming too costly to just have the Duce suit on. Finney is fine for the interior.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would announce we'd trade 2 first rd picks for Jalen Ramsey today, and get the deal started now, lol

If Tomlin is still here and we still have the same defensive scheme, that trade would be a HUGE waste. Until we get over the idea of having LB's covering wideouts and understand that we need to get consistent pressure on the QB, it doesn't matter who we have at DB, someone will always be wide open.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

This site is very accurate and it has us with 28 mil plus with only 38 players signed. We need to sign 15 more players with that money.
You can see the problem with releasing Boswell. Doing that creates 4.5 mil of dead money and would come right out of that 28 mil.
A lot of Steelers contracts have escalated and eaten into the Bell and Shazier money that many are expecting to use.

Spike

Reaction score
I hate these posts. Fans act like the Steelers are the only team in the league who will get $10M cap

Every year we hear the same ****, a few crumbs in the cupboard and people think we're rich! LOL

Colts and Jets have well over $100 million in cap space, hell even Dallas has over $50 million.