• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2021 Draft Profile: Clemson’s Travis Etienne

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Leading up to the 2021 NFL Draft starting on April 29th, we will be releasing several draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Travis Etienne (Running Back), Clemson, Senior​

Etienne weighs in at 205lbs, standing at 5’10” and one of the best running backs in the draft.

Overview:

A lot of people were shocked when a 4-star recruit from Louisiana elected to attend Clemson over LSU, but that is exactly what Travis Etienne did and it paid off. Clemson was the last scholarship offer Etienne received, and he turned that into a four year college career that may result in a 1st round selection come April. It didn’t take long for Etienne to make his mark on college football as he was able to show off his speed and big play potential as a true freshman rushing for 13 touchdowns on only 107 carries with a yards per carry over 7. Over the next three seasons he was the unquestioned workhorse for Clemson, having no less than 216 touches in any season. Shockingly, he returned to college after a junior season which he netted over 2,000 total yards and 23 total touchdowns. Etienne very likely would’ve been the first running back taken in the 2020 NFL Draft, but now coming back there are some questions around that. Etienne had a bit of a perplexing senior season, as he was an elite pass catcher leading college football with 48 receptions by a running back. However, as a runner it appears he took a step back, only averaging 5.4 yards per carry which was his first season below 7.2. No question he will immediately be effective in the NFL on the edge and catching the football, but will he be able to consistently run between the tackles?

Pros:

• Speed, speed, speed. As a senior in high school he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash, and nothing on tape shows anything to deny that
  • Very good route runner for a running back
  • Possesses very good contact balance letting him stay on his feet more than most
  • Decisive runner that will hit a hole quickly when he sees it
  • Hands are above average and he is comfortable making catches outside of his frame
  • Availability, as he has missed very little time with very minor injuries, even though he handled a large workload
  • Doesn’t try to do too much, won’t get himself out of position trying to do more than he can with what is available
  • One of the most consistent RBs you’ll ever get, rarely had a poor performance that was within his control

Cons:

• Ball security in 2020. 4 fumbles in first three seasons (572 touches) but 4 in 2020 (216 touches)
  • A lot of room to grow in pass protection. Needs more physicality at the POA and currently slow to diagnose pressure in the pocket
  • Needs some more patience, will press the line too hard at times before holes have a chance to open up
  • Not a power runner. While he has the ability to run through some tackles, will never be confused as the next Derrick Henry

Steeler Nation hasn’t necessarily warmed up to the idea of seeing Etienne in Black and Gold just yet, but the more they learn about him, the more he may surprise people and prove he’s worthy of an early round selection.

Vison:

Etienne sees the field naturally and bursts to open holes the second they appear. He doesn’t look to do too much and rarely gets himself in trouble because of that. Shows good feel for when to bounce the play outside and when to press up inside, which makes it tough for defenders to decide which gap to fill. Never hesitates when the hole is there, and has the ability to navigate his way through the first, second, and third level of the defense. One area of his vision he could stand to improve is his patience. When holes are there quickly he tends to bounce it outside too early on occasion. This is definitely nit-picking, as someone with his speed usually has success doing that. As long as he learns to give his line another second to open the hole, there are very little concerns.

Running Style:

A lot of people think Etienne is just a speed back, but he doesn’t shy away from contact between the tackles. He has shown the ability to push some piles and fall forward with defenders on him consistently even though he isn’t the largest of backs. However, don’t be mistaken, Etienne’s speed and elusiveness are his bread and butter. When it comes to getting through a hole quickly and into space, no one does it better. He has a great ability to go from a full sprint, to a dead stop, to a full sprint again with ease. In the open field there are few players who possess the contact balance, speed, and body control that Etienne does. While he isn’t the next power back that fans want to get back to the Steelers way, he is a lot more than just a pure speed back.

Passing Game:

Here is where Etienne sets himself apart from the pack. You will be hard pressed to find many NFL running backs who are as polished of a receiver as he is, and he hasn’t even been drafted yet. Etienne has the ability to run choice routes out of the backfield, slants from the perimeter, or a plethora of down the field routes as well. This is something few running backs are able to do, and he does it exceptionally. He also shows soft hands and the ability to make catches away from his frame that many running backs struggle with. His combination of speed and route running make it extremely difficult for linebackers to match up with him in coverage, and he will even give a lot of defensive backs a run for their money. Etienne does have some serious work to do in pass protection though, as he needs to work on identifying where the pressure is coming from and his technique in preventing them from getting to the quarterback. He has always seemed willing, but definitely needs teaching in this area.

NFL Comparison – Alvin Kamara:

Now this may seem like a pretty lofty comparison and Kamara is one of the elite running backs in the NFL, but the skill sets are just way too similar to ignore. Both possess great body control, fluidity in their movements, as well as incredible ability in the passing game. Kamara probably runs with a little more power, while Etienne has top end speed Kamara doesn’t quite possess, the rest of their game is very alike.

Draft Projection – Late 1st/2nd Round Pick:

Etienne might be the first running back taken, but whether that is Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft is yet to be seen. Either way, he possesses a skill set that will draw the attention of the defense no matter what team drafts him. In today’s NFL, Etienne will have no shortage of suiters.

Let us know below what you think about Etienne as a prospect, and let us know what other prospects you could be interested in seeing a profile on!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have no problem with him. If Harris or Etienne are there for our 1st round pick, we have a decision on our hands. Right now, I'm still in the camp that I will take either of them at 1 and then go O-line on my next pick and then 1 of the following 2 picks. At least, that's how I'd like it to fall. Get our feature RB, then re-build the line, and then add depth to positions of need.

SteveA

Reaction score
If all things are equal, I would probably want the RB with better hands...NFL is a Passing League & the RB's that are quality dual threats are a brutal weapon

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
****, I just want a 116 ypgame rushing & 87 receiving RB that don't get hurt.................................................................

In all seriousness either Harris or Etienne will make the STEELERS show their hand early.

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
****, I just want a 116 ypgame rushing & 87 receiving RB that don't get hurt.................................................................

In all seriousness either Harris or Etienne will make the STEELERS show their hand early.

Salute the nation
So you want a rookie to put up 1856 yards rushing and 1392 yards receiving in his first year..........
Eric Dickerson 1808 rushing yards in rookie season in 1983 (18 TDs) he also had 51 receptions for 404 yards (2 TDs)

If you are going to dream............might as well dream big...........

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Good write-up. Not my favorite back or even my second favorite. But I wouldn't lose sleep if the Steelers drafted him. I think from a team fit he might fit Canada's O better than any other RB on this class. But I prefer better within the tackle runners. Just my preference. Like Claypool he has the talent to come in and surprise me and maybe a few other fans.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Sorry boys I take 6'2 220. I want someone who can bulldoze yardage. I'm hoping somehow the new run blocking philosophy will be better (not holding breath since they hired the assistant to the last dipshit). I want the guy you have to account for in the front 7. Oline might be a better long term pick, but since you are all in AGAIN, you might as well take the back.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So you want a rookie to put up 1856 yards rushing and 1392 yards receiving in his first year..........
Eric Dickerson 1808 rushing yards in rookie season in 1983 (18 TDs) he also had 51 receptions for 404 yards (2 TDs)

If you are going to dream............might as well dream big...........

Go BIG or go home,......................................... OK ?

you nailed it !!!

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Good write-up. Not my favorite back or even my second favorite. But I wouldn't lose sleep if the Steelers drafted him. I think from a team fit he might fit Canada's O better than any other RB on this class. But I prefer better within the tackle runners. Just my preference. Like Claypool he has the talent to come in and surprise me and maybe a few other fans.
Just so you know
The O comes before Canada

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If Harris is off the board, the Steelers can trade down in round one a back like Etienne or pick one of many OT's picking up an extra 3rd. I also like Mac Jones IF he's on the board for us.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers showing interest.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I like Eitienne. I'm concerned he seems the right system and OL in front of him to maximize his potential. In the right system, he's gonna be a stud.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Eitienne. I'm concerned he seems the right system and OL in front of him to maximize his potential. In the right system, he's gonna be a stud.
I prefer a back who can break tackles with our OLine he will need to.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
A RB with ball security issues is a non starter for me. If he fumbled a lot in college wait until the bigger, stronger, faster NFL players start hitting him.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
can he block and blitz pick up?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Etienne is a fumbler. 1, 1, 2, 3 fumbles lost in his 4 years in order, and he threw up a ton of carries in year 2 & 3.

Najee has 1 fumble lost his entire college career. Really only played as a Jr and Sr, but that is impressive.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
Najee Harris is the real deal and we would be idiots to pass if he is anywhere close to where we pick. Since Saban told him to start running like a big back should run, he has been pretty close to unstoppable. 1900 combined yards and 30 TD's is pretty hard to pass on. 6ft 2 and runs a 4.45 40. last year he averaged over 5 yards a carry on THIRD down when everyone knew he was getting the ball. the most impressive thing about him though is he is a straight up great young man. Say what you want but I would actually trade up to get him if I had to. I actually think he will be better than Henry.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I prefer Harris as our first round pick. However if Harris is off the board, trading down, picking up an extra third round pick and taking Etienne would be a solid move.