• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 Steelers Draft picks

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ive noticed in a lot of NFL mocks the actual draft picks for the steelers are all over the place..

Here is an explanation of where we stand as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think I have it straight now

First of all of our original picks we only have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. we traded the fourth for Loudermilk last year. We traded the fifth for Avery Williamson the season before (and a seventh), and we traded the sixth for Witherspoon this year.

We traded Ingram for a sixth rounder. , so we should be getting two picks in from other teams, KC's 6th, and the Jets 7th.

Now the comp pick situation we are getting ****** on for the umpteenth year in a row...
we were supposed to get a 3rd and a 4th or 5th, depending on whether haeg qualified or not, however because the Titans IR'd Dupree for so long, he will only qualify for a 4th.
The other comp pick is apparently wiped out because we TRADED for witherspoon, who was a qualified free agent pick up and somehow that will cost us another 5th rounder....

the comp pick situation is woefully broken and teams game it too well.

so anyhow here was the most recent list I saw for our picks

1st (own)
2nd (own)
3rd (own)
4th (comp)
6th (KC trade)
7th (Jets Trade)
7th (Own)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ive noticed in a lot of NFL mocks the actual draft picks for the steelers are all over the place..

Here is an explanation of where we stand as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think I have it straight now

First of all of our original picks we only have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. we traded the fourth for Loudermilk last year. We traded the fifth for Avery Williamson the season before (and a seventh), and we traded the sixth for Witherspoon this year.

We traded Ingram for a sixth rounder. , so we should be getting two picks in from other teams, KC's 6th, and the Jets 7th.

Now the comp pick situation we are getting ****** on for the umpteenth year in a row...
we were supposed to get a 3rd and a 4th or 5th, depending on whether haeg qualified or not, however because the Titans IR'd Dupree for so long, he will only qualify for a 4th.
The other comp pick is apparently wiped out because we TRADED for witherspoon, who was a qualified free agent pick up and somehow that will cost us another 5th rounder....

the comp pick situation is woefully broken and teams game it too well.

so anyhow here was the most recent list I saw for our picks

1st (own)
2nd (own)
3rd (own)
4th (comp)
6th (KC trade)
7th (Jets Trade)
7th (Own)
Looks about right. I know Haeg's playing time factored in and I believe cost us a pick.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Looks about right. I know Haeg's playing time factored in and I believe cost us a pick.
yes I think he cancelled out Hilton... there was talk that he might somehow come off the list , but I think we'd know that by now... the nfl's process is just so ******... so basically if you let a bunch of your guys leave in free agency, then sign a bunch of free agents then trade them all for picks, you theoretically could make a killing in picks and still get comp picks on top of that. Comp picks should be only given to your draft picks or UDFAS that were on your team for at least four years that leave in free agency minus the guys who you sign in the same fashion and thats it... if you sign a guy and cut him that shouldnt matter... if you take a guy off another team that they developed you should be penalized and if you are developing guys for the rest of the league you should be rewarded....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I read he cancelled out or lowered Feiler. The idea that a low salary backup with spot duty can impact a higher salary full-time starter is a messed up system (regardless if it was Feiler or Hilton).

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
62mp1a.jpg

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
There was some direction regarding the formula after the CBA was ratified, however it was made more complicated because of the allowance of increased Practice squads and the player performance scales. The formula First level is the salary signed in FA. The Second level is playing time. So Dupree’s IR status shouldn’t be a factor in compensation. However other Edge Rushers who received contracts would possibly downgrade the comp. Hilton’s contract, Feiler‘s contract and Al’s contract would have their comp offsets by Turner, Witherspoon and Adams. Now, how this formula calculates what is the equivalent of compensation is anyone‘s guess and I haven’t found ANYONE who is an expert at it in the media to get it right.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Ravens and Pat*s always get rewarded for drafting poorly and signing FA. Doesn’t seem any rhyme or reason for awarding picks