• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

5 First Impressions of the Depth Chart

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Earlier this week, the Pittsburgh Steelers released the first edition of their depth chart. This is Steeler Nation’s first look of, not only how the new team will look, but how the coaching staff views the newest additions to the team. Of course we see names like Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Minkah Fitzpatrick at the top of the chart, but what about names that are new to Pittsburgh? With that said, here are my five first impressions of the depth chart:

1. The Center Position isn’t Finalized

After the retirement of long-time center Maurkice Pouncey, Steelers fans were anxiously awaiting the next name to lead the offensive line. After watching the Steelers draft Kendrick Green out of Illinois in May, fans were expecting to see Green grow into the next starting center. However, two-year man J.C. Hassenauer is listed as starting center. This is most likely due to Hassenauer already having some experience at center in Pittsburgh and is familiar with Roethlisberger and the offense. But as we get closer to September, I anticipate Green will earn the starting center role. Green has worked with the starting offensive in OTA’s, minicamp, and the first week of training camp. I’m sure the main reason as to why he’s not the listed starter is due to him being a young rookie who is still learning. Look for Green to start at center on opening day.

2. Quarterback Depth is in Flux

We know Roethlisberger is QB1. We expected Mason Rudolph to be QB2. But where the quarterback position will get interesting is at QB3. With the offseason acquisition of Dwayne Haskins, fans were excited to see him contend for the first back-up spot with Rudolph. We still have the full preseason to watch this shake out, but regardless, this will leave Josh Dobbs left out. Roethlisberger and Dobbs have a great relationship and Dobbs has great football intellect, but I’d be shocked if Dobbs makes the final roster over Haskins. The practice squad may be Dobbs’ saving grace for his career in Pittsburgh, but I expect to see Roethlisberger, Rudolph, then Haskins to round out the quarterback position going into the regular season.

3. The Running Back Room is Full

After an awful rushing attack in 2020, the Steelers drafted Najee Harris to bring back the strong, physical, resilient running game Steelers fans love. But after Harris, who else will step up? Although there have been great running backs in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have historically rotated two or three backs throughout games. For example, we’ve seen Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Gary Russell, and Fitzgerald Toussaint play critical roles in the offense as back-up running backs. Looking at the depth chart, we see Benny Snell Jr. as RB2, with Anthony McFarland Jr., Jaylen Samuels, and Kalen Ballage fighting for the third and fourth running back roles. We know new offensive coordinator Matt Canada is looking to integrate different styles of running backs in the offense and it’ll be interesting to see who steps up in the preseason. For my way-too-early opinion, I see Harris, McFarland, Snell, and Ballage to be on the roster after training camp.

4. There is Plenty of Depth at Linebacker

Vince Williams’ retirement came as a surprise to Steelers fans. After being cut earlier in the offseason, Williams was re-signed as a presumed starter. Now that Williams is gone, we see Robert Spillane listed as the starting inside linebacker paired with Devin Bush. Behind Spillane, we see three-year men Ulysees Gilbert III and Marcus Allen, rookie Buddy Johnson, Tegray Scales, and Jarvis Miller all competing for roster spots at inside linebacker. Looking at the edge, we already expected to see T.J. Watt and Alex Highsmith to be listed as starters, with newly-acquired Melvin Ingram, veteran Cassius Marsh, and rookies Quincy Roche, Jamar Watson, and Jamir Jones all jockeying for back-up roles. The good news for Steelers fans is that every linebacker listed on the Steelers’ depth chart could be starters in the NFL. We know all too well that depth at linebacker, both inside and outside, is critical to a winning season and the Steelers definitely have that. Come September, I anticipate Ingram and Roche to clinch the back-up spots behind Watt and Highsmith, with Johnson, Gilbert, and Allen backing up Bush and Spillane inside.

5. The Competition for Punter Will be Interesting

When the Steelers used their final pick of the 2021 NFL Draft on Pressley Harvin III, veteran Jordan Berry was put on notice. The punter position hasn’t necessarily been a strength for the Steelers in recent seasons, but they’re looking to change that in 2021. After a sub-standard preseason in 2020, Berry was cut in favor of veteran free agent Dustin Colquitt, only to be re-signed later in the season. The 2020 season was Berry’s best, with an average of 45.8 yards per punt. For Harvin in 2020, he averaged about 48 yards per punt at Georgia Tech. Berry is currently listed as the starting punter, but look for Harvin III to make a strong run at the starting punter position. There is room for only one punter on the roster, and I see Harvin III eventually winning the starting role.

What are your first impressions of the depth chart? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Green's time may come sooner, rather than later. J.C. was in a brace on the sidelines today. As a marginal starter, holding a spot until another player develops, J.C. can't afford missed time due to injury. Missed time will provide the rookie more snaps and an opportunity to take over the starting position.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That C position.. hopefully it irons out quickly. I am not sold on great depth at ILBer. Experience isn't there with Bince exiting stage left. Who has the leg up at the punter position? My guess it is the rooks job to lose. Good things if Green wins the start. Regardless I see him coming on before seasons end. RB room is full but some preseason reps to figure out who stays and goes. At QB I think Dobbs would have to turn that trending downward around. His only saving grace would probably be if a certain QB proves to be lazy in his approach. I am leaning against this but I have no crystal ball guiding me down the yellow brick road.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
That C position.. hopefully it irons out quickly. I am not sold on great depth at ILBer. Experience isn't there with Bince exiting stage left. Who has the leg up at the punter position? My guess it is the rooks job to lose. Good things if Green wins the start. Regardless I see him coming on before seasons end. RB room is full but some preseason reps to figure out who stays and goes. At QB I think Dobbs would have to turn that trending downward around. His only saving grace would probably be if a certain QB proves to be lazy in his approach. I am leaning against this but I have no crystal ball guiding me down the yellow brick road.
Article over at the Depot using media notes from Canada's presser. Canada is quoted as saying they're happy with the way that certain QB is working. He's worked hard to learn the system. He's doing everything he can. And, specifically that "His work ethic, his time in the office, has been awesome ..."

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Article over at the Depot using media notes from Canada's presser. Canada is quoted as saying they're happy with the way that certain QB is working. He's worked hard to learn the system. He's doing everything he can. And, specifically that "His work ethic, his time in the office, has been awesome ..."
Let us see how that relates to on field performance. I tend to think it will be better than Dobbs. We'll see.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't think it's a chrystal ball but I do think Peyote delivers the better vision. My most recent vision showed that putting in a "ram pump" assembly I would get great water at no expense but the key to that vision is that Ben / Mason / & Dwayne were the key helpers in establishing the system.

There were many more things with-in the vision but didn't seem pertinant to the STEELERS.

Interprit it as you will but there it is..!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

Good article BEN and thanks. Well worth the read.

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I think they want Green to win starting job. But I totally get why they won’t put him first on depth chart. It’s a lot to ask to make the calls as a rookie , especially one not flanked by two Guards used to playing together.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think they want Green to win starting job. But I totally get why they won’t put him first on depth chart. It’s a lot to ask to make the calls as a rookie , especially one not flanked by two Guards used to playing together.
What do you think is a reasonable amount of time to get comfy making those calls?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What do you think is a reasonable amount of time to get comfy making those calls?

DAY 1 out or the gate. He isn't dumb and probably has learned the play book by hart. He will do fine and will start day one. Coach Klemm(sp or new OL coach)) will make sure of that.

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Depends on the player, how hard they work, etc. Some guys are never able to do it, others it clicks. When we had Kendall Simmons on the draft, he said he was overwhelmed and was thankful to have vets telling him what to do. He threw a # out around 4-5 weeks, but estimates like that are certainly hard to make.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
but can he take a punch?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
that certain QB's off-field shenanigans were the underlying reason he was released from the nameless football team.
that is what we should watch, though it's hopeful that his "time in the office" is maturing him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Opening depth charts are mandated by league and meaningless. Mostly pay homage to experienced players over young ones and ones with Steelers years of service. With exception to the obvious like Najee.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't see JC beating out BJ at center.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't see JC beating out BJ at center.
JC is a little of an unknown for me. Someone you don't suspect will start but it wouldn't be the first or last time an unexpected came on. BJs down year shouldn't be overlooked even though there was stated circumstances. It is a unique situation when there is three bodies competing instead of two in a head to head. Still they will go with the steady Eddie whomever that may be. With Green having the look of the highest ceiling if he has the calls down I would think it would be him. If not I am just not sure who gets the golden egg.