• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

7-5 and we found our QB for the rest of the season

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that you " think " Rudolph can be a solid player underscores you know zero about the QB position. What does he doe well? Rudy when he was playing, looked worse than every rookie QB I saw and year and didn't look as good as the 2nd year QB's either. He lives on turnovers and defensive scores.

Tomlin's ineptness has been well documented here. What is he some sort of hero to you?

After his concussion yes. Before that not so much. But I know you have an agenda to meet. Carry on Wilber.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
While Duck hasn't played enough for a full evaluation, we can say he's 3-0 in games played where he passed it 10 times or more. You could say he's had about 2 1/2 games of action as the Quarterback. But where does he stack up with the other starting Quarterbacks, statistically speaking?

Passer rating: 97.0 Only 12 staring quarterbacks are better.

Completion percentage: 67.2% Only 8 starting QB's are better.

Percentage of passes that go for first downs: 39.3%. Only 6 starting QB's are better.

These are not what you expect from a back - up quarterback, and he's doing it without our best receiver or running back playing. I hope he starts the rest of the season, so we get a better feel of how good he can be, but right now, I must say I'm a little giddy on his start.
Ben will back him up next year for sure.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that you " think " Rudolph can be a solid player underscores you know zero about the QB position. What does he doe well? Rudy when he was playing, looked worse than every rookie QB I saw and year and didn't look as good as the 2nd year QB's either. He lives on turnovers and defensive scores.

Tomlin's ineptness has been well documented here. What is he some sort of hero to you?

What I think is my own opinion, not the ego driven agenda you frequently pound sand with. I’m no professional evaluator, but I’ve been around the game and followed it long enough to know how much players and the game has changed since the early 70s. You may have too, or probably much later. Who knows, one thing for sure is your posturing on this board shows how much of a narcissistic prick that you are.

For you to imply I know zero about QBs or anything else football related, just proves your only ambition is think you know more than anyone else regarding the game’s players, history and science. You’ve been shown on numerous occasions to know less than you claim, been wrong when you think you are right and cannot admit error when it’s punched you in the face (Coolie’s bet the latest example).

“Tomlin a hero to you?” What are you twelve? He’s the current HC of the Steelers. Just like Cowher and Chaz before him. All have been successful and have won championships and had lulls with their teams. But I can guarantee one thing, Tomlin has forgotten more about football in general than you will ever hope to know about it.

You need to realize you will never be equal to TMC, Cope, or any of those other contributors who puts tons of hours actually evaluating and cataloging prospects. Not plagiarizing draft mags or prognosticators. And for all that is holy, watching YouTube clips is not an evaluation method. So stop trying to think it is. You’ve been called out in the past you don’t watch games, so don’t kid yourself that you put in the work of those few who do.

You won’t contribute to the site so your recent reduction in posts was a welcome reprieve of the 90% of useless commentary you provide.

Following the “less is more” routine in posting is greatly appreciated by most of the board. With the exception of you getting absolutely destroyed with your sometimes idiotic statements. Those threads are entertaining. Too bad they are at your expense. Dumb ***.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
it always amuses me how everyone bashes the current coach for whatever team they cheer for.

Houston fans crush Bill O'Brien and would take Tomlin in a heartbeat (well not today...but most days)

Tomlin is not a great head coach in many ways, but he is no where near as bad as many here would like you to think. Just about everything I see bitched about here, I have seen O'Brien and other coaches routinely do. Poor clock management, check, stupid challenges, check, not challenging a play check. ******* bullshit play calling at times, check. cutting players some think should have a roster spot, check.

Fans tend to get caught up with their coaches faults more than the successes they have. Too often he gets all the blame and very little credit...that is the nature of being a head coach

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
it always amuses me how everyone bashes the current coach for whatever team they cheer for.

Houston fans crush Bill O'Brien and would take Tomlin in a heartbeat (well not today...but most days)

Tomlin is not a great head coach in many ways, but he is no where near as bad as many here would like you to think. Just about everything I see bitched about here, I have seen O'Brien and other coaches routinely do. Poor clock management, check, stupid challenges, check, not challenging a play check. ******* bullshit play calling at times, check. cutting players some think should have a roster spot, check.

Fans tend to get caught up with their coaches faults more than the successes they have. Too often he gets all the blame and very little credit...that is the nature of being a head coach

I think it's more frustration that many fans see clock management as fairly basic strategy of when to use timeouts and calling specific plays in certain time situations. It's crazy that in today's world there are so many coaches who make continued mistakes with one of the more fundamental aspects of being a coach. Like a lot of coaches, Tomlin has his good days and bad in that regard.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Tomlin is a top ten coach in the nfl...maybe top 5, and he sucks... it stems from the nfl, and football in general, not having a true training platform to develop coaches... so you don’t get tge best straegists and team builders, you get guys who know eclectic traditional tidbits of strategy and a whole lot of nepotism....

Basically nfl head coaching sucks right now... there are few innoventors and fewer outside the box guys... everyone plays by traditional conservative strategy so the masses who know that strategy don’t get them fired for a loss ... basically most coaches play a scheme to keep it close and win or lose it at the very end because they don’t get the blame for losing close games they do for blowing big leads or losing blowouts... the nfl encourages this because it keeps tv happy...

Basically being one of the best in a group of mediocre minds doesn’t exactly absolve you of criticism...

Coaching could be so much more....

Stewey

Reaction score
dd488a2f490e9f9a6c3f54d355d4a0e9.jpg

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it's more frustration that many fans see clock management as fairly basic strategy of when to use timeouts and calling specific plays in certain time situations. It's crazy that in today's world there are so many coaches who make continued mistakes with one of the more fundamental aspects of being a coach. Like a lot of coaches, Tomlin has his good days and bad in that regard.

It’s more than that losing more often then other winning teams do to losing teams. Failing to pick the correct starter, sometimes needed an injury to get it right, being 3-6 in his last 9 playoff games, getting fined, costing his team in the draft ( footgate ), having very little football content in his mostly softball questions, a lack of sideline coaching.

No charge :)

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What I think is my own opinion, not the ego driven agenda you frequently pound sand with. I’m no professional evaluator, but I’ve been around the game and followed it long enough to know how much players and the game has changed since the early 70s. You may have too, or probably much later. Who knows, one thing for sure is your posturing on this board shows how much of a narcissistic prick that you are.

For you to imply I know zero about QBs or anything else football related, just proves your only ambition is think you know more than anyone else regarding the game’s players, history and science. You’ve been shown on numerous occasions to know less than you claim, been wrong when you think you are right and cannot admit error when it’s punched you in the face (Coolie’s bet the latest example).

“Tomlin a hero to you?” What are you twelve? He’s the current HC of the Steelers. Just like Cowher and Chaz before him. All have been successful and have won championships and had lulls with their teams. But I can guarantee one thing, Tomlin has forgotten more about football in general than you will ever hope to know about it.

You need to realize you will never be equal to TMC, Cope, or any of those other contributors who puts tons of hours actually evaluating and cataloging prospects. Not plagiarizing draft mags or prognosticators. And for all that is holy, watching YouTube clips is not an evaluation method. So stop trying to think it is. You’ve been called out in the past you don’t watch games, so don’t kid yourself that you put in the work of those few who do.

You won’t contribute to the site so your recent reduction in posts was a welcome reprieve of the 90% of useless commentary you provide.

Following the “less is more” routine in posting is greatly appreciated by most of the board. With the exception of you getting absolutely destroyed with your sometimes idiotic statements. Those threads are entertaining. Too bad they are at your expense. Dumb ***.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Need a tissue, cry baby. And yes Tomlin means more than just a coach to you. The only good part about a loss is you often disappear and steer clear of certain threads on Tomlin’s stupidity.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Need a tissue, cry baby. And yes Tomlin means more than just a coach to you. The only good part about a loss is you often disappear and steer clear of certain threads on Tomlin’s stupidity.

the best part of a win is you post less.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Thank you Coolie for the GREAT perspective of our current coach.

Salute the nation

Cras108er

Reaction score
He had a defender bearing down on him. He played it safe rather than risk getting hit in bounds and fumbling. We've seen enough late game fumbles by our receivers this season so I have no problem with what he did. It would've been nice for him to stay in bounds and kill some clock but that would've been risky under the circumstances.

C’mon man. That was inexcusable, as it was for Dionte Johnson to run out of bounds. You have to have situational awareness. All he had to do was give himself up for the sack. Anything but stop the clock. We gift wrapped a comeback opportunity for Mayfield - especially with how easily he marched down the field the previous series.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Deadhorsedrive.com.... but I like Tomlin's regular season overall win loss record, I dislike his playoff win loss record. Improve on the dislike and he can stay until I croke not that I decide. Don't improve on it and I would like a reboot. Really that with me nothing less nothing more.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Cras108er

Reaction score
Duck started a bit shaky but he rounded out and played better as the game wore on. My hat is off to the kid for today's performance. I wouldn't anoint him king just yet, but certainly seems to be the best option to win right now. In the long run, I do worry a bit about his height. Did anyone see him standing beside his linemen? That has to impair his downfield vision a bit. Also, teams will get some film on him and adjust to what he is doing so lets just see how it evolves week to week. Washington came up with some sweet catches and Snell also had a good day as well. Defense balled again. They took two pretty good WR's out of the game and I don't care what anyone says...Chub and Hunt are a dangerous duo. It was a good team win and there really shouldn't be a question on who starts under center next week.

Yeah, it won’t take long for other teams to realize that his escapability is limited to rolling right. I do believe they need to trust him a little bit more. I get keeping him on a short leash to minimize rookie mistakes, but he’s earned a little more
Trust with what he’s put on tape thus far.

Steelerfan

Reaction score

Tomlin sucks (tm)

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

to your point, I live near Baltimore. All off season, I kept hearing on the radio and around town, how the Steelers have the advantage due to Tomlin. most around here are convinced if they had Tomlin, they would have a few more championships

SteveA

Reaction score
C’mon man. That was inexcusable, as it was for Dionte Johnson to run out of bounds. You have to have situational awareness. All he had to do was give himself up for the sack. Anything but stop the clock. We gift wrapped a comeback opportunity for Mayfield - especially with how easily he marched down the field the previous series.

Easy to make the observation to simply take the sack there, but it is a fast moving field. Guys get caught trying to make things happen. Ducky was rolling and thought maybe he has something, quickly realizes there is nothing. He then pushes the ball out of bounds which was pretty heads up rather than risk a fumble, but he almost did anyway...Good decision on his part even if it looked funky. Heady player

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Look, I get it, it's easy to be passionate about this team, after all we're fans.

When you realize the Steelers are still in the hunt with this makeshift team, it's pretty amazing. No Ben, Juju, Conner, Pouncy, Tuitt, add in the recent parting of Bell and Brown, and it's an unbelievable season so far.

So what if Duck, Dionte or Tomlin for that matter aren't perfect for 60 minutes, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Go Stillers!

Cras108er

Reaction score
Look, I get it, it's easy to be passionate about this team, after all we're fans.

When you realize the Steelers are still in the hunt with this makeshift team, it's pretty amazing. No Ben, Juju, Conner, Pouncy, Tuitt, add in the recent parting of Bell and Brown, and it's an unbelievable season so far.

So what if Duck, Dionte or Tomlin for that matter aren't perfect for 60 minutes, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Go Stillers!

Agreed, for however long it lasts.

Spike

Reaction score

Have u seen Ben on the sidelines?, that extra $30M he got in his pocket this year is paying for a lot of snacks

He is well over 300 lbs, prob pushing 320.

He might hurt his wing again in camp and take another $30M in rehab next year, lol

Meanwhile, red nose was sitting on the end of the bench with his helmet on, pouting, head hanging down while JuJu and others were rushing up to congratulate Duck for big plays

Take your helmet off! You're never going back in! Listen with a headset for playcalls, you might learn something!

Duck!

Duck!

Duck!

He lit a fire under James Washington, and thats good enough for me

Last edited:

Steelers1356

Reaction score

Was talking about Dionte Johnson. Duck's sack is a different story.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
[sarcasm-font] **** that! Cut Ben and save the money! [/sarcasm-font]

Cras108er

Reaction score
Was talking about Dionte Johnson. Duck's sack is a different story.

I realized that after the fact. Sorry about that. I think he also should have given himself up (Benny Snell style). Guys have to have situational awareness.

When you add the 40 seconds he gifted Cleveland to the seconds Duck gifted them it could have been the difference between a win and a loss.