• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

85 Bears

Troglodyte

Reaction score
NFL Network replayed a 1985 Bears-Packers game yesterday and a watched some of it. Jim Zorn was the Packers QB which I don’t remember. The Bears have always been a distant second favorite team of mine as I was born in Chicago and my dad was a Bears fan. That being said, Ditka was an *******. He had Refrigerator Perry on the kickoff team. Of all the stupid gimmicky ****, he might as well have had 10 players on the kickoff.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
And Steve Mongo McMichael eventually became a member of the famous “Four Horsemen”wrestling gang in the mid 90s!

He was so bad *** that he didn’t even have to wrestle. He usually just came out there with a suitcase full of money as I vaguely recall.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
good defense. not as good as the 70s Steelers

We had at least three better

76'...............79'..................08'

I'd give the 70's Defense due to the longevity versus the Bears one and done, similar to the 2000' ravens.

**** them all because there will never be a dominant defense such as the 70's ever again, GLAD I got to watch them play.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing compares to Ditka inexplicable use of the "Fridge" at the goal line in the super bowl instead of rewarding Walter Peyton. It was all about Ditka being cool.

I loved Walter Payton (one of my favorite non-steelers player) and the Fridge as well but that single play made me dislike Ditka, not either player.

Salute the nation

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
I went to soldiers field in 87 a friend of mine was a huge bears fan. long story short he took us to the visitor side of the locker room. after the lions all left some of the bears players and coaches came out that side. first out was Ditka, I steped in front of him to get a picture and he told the guy next to him. "this is why I come this way, to avoid the ******* fans."

Willie Gault came out and stoped to sign autographs, so did, McMahon Hampton, dent and Tomczac. last out was sweetness, there were five of us and he stayed there for about 30 minutes signing autographs and shooting the ****. I am not a small man 6ft 220 LBs , when he shook my hand it was like a ten year old shaking hands with a grown man. I was a huge Walter payton after that day.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
We had at least three better

76'...............79'..................08'

I'd give the 70's Defense due to the longevity versus the Bears one and done, similar to the 2000' ravens.

**** them all because there will never be a dominant defense such as the 70's ever again, GLAD I got to watch them play.

Salute the nation
Me too. Too much money and too many self absorbed look at me people to ever sustain that type of greatness for that long.

It's been a long time and still to this day when I mention Pittsburgh to anyone a little older, the first words are Steel Curtain , the next words are Mean Joe Greene, then they start running off names from that team. These are non Steelers fan too.

That's making your mark.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They didn't call them the SUPER STEELERS for nothing. That nickname came early and not just because of the SB wins. They were called the

MEN of STEEL and that morphed into the SUPER STEELERS.

As kids i was "who are they gong to beat this week as to looking at the season schedule. We expected, not hope, for victories and more times than not we weren't disapointed.

Some of those players were idols to many, mothers were proud to use them as mentor figures for their kids.

Mean Joe Greene's "coke" commercial was and still remains the BEST SB commercial ever, after how many years........???? Just goes to show yaz the integrity.

The 70's STEELERS have a wing in the HOF and still several players of that team shamefully not inducted yet.

There is a reason some of us say "The STEELERS way" because it meant something.!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. Too much money and too many self absorbed look at me people to ever sustain that type of greatness for that long.

It's been a long time and still to this day when I mention Pittsburgh to anyone a little older, the first words are Steel Curtain , the next words are Mean Joe Greene, then they start running off names from that team. These are non Steelers fan too.

That's making your mark.

GREAT POST, thank you

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
They didn't call them the SUPER STEELERS for nothing. That nickname came early and not just because of the SB wins. They were called the

As kids i was "who are they gong to beat this week as to looking at the season schedule. We expected, not hope, for victories and more times than not we weren't disapointed.

Some of those players were idols to many, mothers were proud to use them as mentor figures for their kids.

Mean Joe Greene's "coke" commercial was and still remains the BEST SB commercial ever, after how many years........???? Just goes to show yaz the integrity.

The 70's STEELERS have a wing in the HOF and still several players of that team shamefully not inducted yet.

There is a reason some of us say "The STEELERS way" because it meant something.!!!

Salute the nation
Absolutely.
You would look at the schedule and point out the "sure wins" which were nearly all of them.

"On any given Sunday" was never even a thought in those days,

Wolf44

Reaction score
The Steelers defenses of the 70s were the best ever and there is not a close second. Don't forget the Steelers offenses of those years were a turnover machine often putting the Steelers defenses in bad position yet the defense dominated and gave up very few points. A true indicator of the true greatness of the defense was the 76 season when Bradshaw got hurt and they resorted to safe football with Kruczek at QB. Last 9 games of the season ,allowed 28 points total with 6 shutouts.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score

Salute the nation
To your point Peter King has long said that his favorite statistic in all of football was that the Steelers were basically undefeated against teams with a 500 record or less from 1972 to 1979.

The standard was the standard.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers defenses of the 70s were the best ever and there is not a close second. Don't forget the Steelers offenses of those years were a turnover machine often putting the Steelers defenses in bad position yet the defense dominated and gave up very few points. A true indicator of the true greatness of the defense was the 76 season when Bradshaw got hurt and they resorted to safe football with Kruczek at QB. Last 9 games of the season ,allowed 28 points total with 6 shutouts.

AMAZINGLY how good they really were. Lampert weight about 210 dripping wet after a full meal but I remeber Chuck Noll saying he hit with every ounce in his body like a freight train.

Many of those players had that "IT" factor that in today's game can only be found spareingly.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
That was probably the biggest look at me team ever. Ditka and the DC Ryan couldn't even be in the same room. They should be the standard of comedy only. No one should put that **** show in the company of greatest teams ever. Not even close.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
AMAZINGLY how good they really were. Lampert weight about 210 dripping wet after a full meal but I remeber Chuck Noll saying he hit with every ounce in his body like a freight train.

Many of those players had that "IT" factor that in today's game can only be found spareingly.

Salute the nation
And the Steelers were never intimidated nor out-physicaled by anybody. When they lost it was usually because they turned the ball over or had the occasional flat week.

You hate to make comparisons, but this is where the current Steelers have really lost their way with no identity.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I went to soldiers field in 87 a friend of mine was a huge bears fan. long story short he took us to the visitor side of the locker room. after the lions all left some of the bears players and coaches came out that side. first out was Ditka, I steped in front of him to get a picture and he told the guy next to him. "this is why I come this way, to avoid the ******* fans."

Willie Gault came out and stoped to sign autographs, so did, McMahon Hampton, dent and Tomczac. last out was sweetness, there were five of us and he stayed there for about 30 minutes signing autographs and shooting the ****. I am not a small man 6ft 220 LBs , when he shook my hand it was like a ten year old shaking hands with a grown man. I was a huge Walter payton after that day.
Payton is an all-time favorite of mine. Running style like no other player. Loved to watch him play and punish defenders trying to tackle him… and he wasn’t a big back. He didn’t play football until his junior year in high school and was on the marching band prior to that. Only agreed to play after coach agreed he could still be in the marching band.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And the Steelers were never intimidated nor out-physicaled by anybody. When they lost it was usually because they turned the ball over or had the occasional flat week.

You hate to make comparisons, but this is where the current Steelers have really lost their way with no identity.

I did the plumbing and heating on this Detroit Lions player's house (was on the championship teams of the 50s) and he told me a story about the Pittsburgh Steelers. He said everybody (all the teams in football) hated playing the STEELERS because even though they wern't a very good team they always beat the crap physically out of you. This was a guy who played in the 1950's.

That has always been the STEELERS persona until Coach Tomlin took over and as Cowher's players left the physicality slowly left with them. I know the league assisted in the softening of play but Coach Tomlin has fancied smaller versatile type players.

Overall we've been manhandles in the trenches for years, why is that? It also seems like we have been running a pussified defensive scheme, why can't we seem to attach when most needed ?

I read Coach Tomlin is stepping back from calling the defensive plays, maybe that will bring back some agressive toughness we so need.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL took hitting out of the league in 10', because those Tomlin teams of 07-10 Killed people.

Also it was a good idea to have a fat body like the Fridge on KO/KR teams, because the rules did not outlaw the wedge, combo blocks, or wedge busting. He was a wrecking ball on ST if you remember watching those games, and a huge advantage.

Great topic Trog!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

On one play, Lambert was called for a personal foul when he hit the QB. He comes to the sideline and Noll asks him, "What was the penalty for?" Lambert tells him, "Ref said I hit the QB too hard." Noll asks, "Well, did you?" Lambert responds, "I hit him as hard as I could."

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
On one play, Lambert was called for a personal foul when he hit the QB. He comes to the sideline and Noll asks him, "What was the penalty for?" Lambert tells him, "Ref said I hit the QB too hard." Noll asks, "Well, did you?" Lambert responds, "I hit him as hard as I could."

I remember that very well !!!!!

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing compares to Ditka inexplicable use of the "Fridge" at the goal line in the super bowl instead of rewarding Walter Peyton. It was all about Ditka being cool.
Meh. In the end, the SB victory was probably reward enough for Payton. Who was one of the best RB's ever in my opinion.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Ditka regretted that. Still, I was a teenager and knew it was the wrong decision, how could he not know?

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ditka regretted that. Still, I was a teenager and knew it was the wrong decision, how could he not know?

Yeah, I hear 'ya, but to be fair, Ditka's decision certainly played a part in humiliating the New England Patsies**** so there's that.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Meh. In the end, the SB victory was probably reward enough for Payton. Who was one of the best RB's ever in my opinion.
No, it bothered Walter Payton. He carried that franchise through garbage years and was a stand up guy.

Now if it were a close game and any TD by anyone made a difference, guarantee he wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

But damn, giving the ball to a Johnny come lately “fad” that was the Fridge over Sweetness? Just f’n dumb.