• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A Closer Look at the Steelers Results Thus Far...and Future Possibilities

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I have this fairly significant bet on the Steelers going over 7.5 wins for the 2022 season, and after their victory last night, their record stands at 4-7. I started to think about the teams to which they've lost, and it's a pretty impressive list:

1) New England (6-5)
2) Cleveland (4-7)
3) NY Jets (7-4)
4) Buffalo (8-3)
5) Miami (8-3)
6) Philadelphia (10-1)
7) Cincinnati (7-4)

As you can see, the only team with a losing record to beat Pittsburgh is the Browns. They are not a bad home team, though, with a 3-3 record in Cleveland. Four out of the seven losses were by one score or less. Plus, the Steelers are 3-1 in games that TJ Watt has played.

Three of their four wins have come against losing teams, along with the one quality W versus the Bengals in week one. They are usually getting the job done against weaker opponents, and losing to the better ones. I double-checked, and they are tied with the Bills for the strongest schedule played thus far. So...maybe the Steelers aren't as bad as most of us have been thinking?

Here's what's left on the schedule:

Atlanta (5-7)
BALTIMORE (7-4)
Carolina (4-8)
LAS VEGAS (4-7)
Baltimore (7-4)
CLEVELAND (4-7)

Four games with losing teams, and two with the Ravens (who just lost to the Jaguars) -- which commonly end in a season split. With four dubs needed to cash my ticket, and KP starting to play much better, I've actually become encouraged that they'll make it to eight wins. Am I wrong to be optimistic?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Might as well hope for a 9th win for Tomlin. I actually have a bet with a coworker that I made in March. For me to win I need 6 wins. Probably not the amount of $$$$ you are referring to though. The possibility is there for you. We play a bunch of teams that are just as bad as we are. These games might just come down to coaching.🤪

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I have this fairly significant bet on the Steelers going over 7.5 wins for the 2022 season, and after their victory last night, their record stands at 4-7. I started to think about the teams to which they've lost, and it's a pretty impressive list:

1) New England (6-5)
2) Cleveland (4-7)
3) NY Jets (7-4)
4) Buffalo (8-3)
5) Miami (8-3)
6) Philadelphia (10-1)
7) Cincinnati (7-4)

As you can see, the only team with a losing record to beat Pittsburgh is the Browns. They are not a bad home team, though, with a 3-3 record in Cleveland. Four out of the seven losses were by one score or less. Plus, the Steelers are 3-1 in games that TJ Watt has played.

Three of their four wins have come against losing teams, along with the one quality W versus the Bengals in week one. They are usually getting the job done against weaker opponents, and losing to the better ones. I double-checked, and they are tied with the Bills for the strongest schedule played thus far. So...maybe the Steelers aren't as bad as most of us have been thinking?

Atlanta (5-7)
BALTIMORE (7-4)
Carolina (4-8)
LAS VEGAS (4-7)
Baltimore (7-4)
CLEVELAND (4-7)

Four games with losing teams, and two with the Ravens (who just lost to the Jaguars) -- which commonly end in a season split. With four dubs needed to cash my ticket, and KP starting to play much better, I've actually become encouraged that they'll make it to eight wins. Am I wrong to be optimistic?

That is all but a lock… like I’ve been saying… the Tomlin teams either start strong and collapse or look like a mess then go on a run .. I am expecting a 9-8 type season because that would make every fan miserable… hell we probably finish with a tie somewhere along the way and are 8-8-1 for the most maddeningly mediocre season ever

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like alot of us made bets regarding win.s. I win $300 if they have 7 wins I win $400 if they have 8 wins, $500 for 9 wins and lose $500 if they have 6 or less wins.

I feel good.

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like alot of us made bets regarding win.s. I win $300 if they have 7 wins I win $400 if they have 8 wins, $500 for 9 wins and lose $500 if they have 6 or less wins.

I feel good.
They probably only get to 6 to spite you.:D

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
… the Tomlin teams either start strong and collapse or look like a mess then go on a run .. I am expecting a 9-8 type season because that would make every fan miserable… hell we probably finish with a tie somewhere along the way and are 8-8-1 for the most maddeningly mediocre season ever
Yep, and the late season ‘run’ would be enough to get him mentions for CotY, and lock him in as Steelers HC for the next 4-5 years.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

1) New England (6-5)
2) Cleveland (4-7)
3) NY Jets (7-4)
4) Buffalo (8-3)
5) Miami (8-3)
6) Philadelphia (10-1)
7) Cincinnati (7-4)

Atlanta (5-7)
BALTIMORE (7-4)
Carolina (4-8)
LAS VEGAS (4-7)
Baltimore (7-4)
CLEVELAND (4-7)

L
W
L
W
L
W

Steelers finish with a 7-10 record.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We split with the ravens, lose to the panthers and Raiders, win against Atlanta and the browns. 3-3 for the rest of the season.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
L
W
L
W
L
W

Steelers finish with a 7-10 record.
Why do you think they will lose to Atlanta and Carolina? Both are one-dimensional teams who can't throw the ball, and have defenses in the bottom half of the league.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you think they will lose to Atlanta and Carolina? Both are one-dimensional teams who can't throw the ball, and have defenses in the bottom half of the league.
In the past the Steelers often lose to who we expect to win against and win against who we expect to lose. So there is an element of that factored in. Another trend even outside of the Steelers is to to win one lose one repeat so I factored that in as well. So coming off a win and knowing our coaching game to game struggles I compiled that list. Also Atlanta and Carolina have won recently so they are capable of winning here and there. Carolina won their last two out of three games, and Atlanta is on the road. Hard to pull off back to back wins on the road. Especially for a team that has trouble compiling back to back wins all season.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, the Falcons and Panthers just don't scare me.

Also, 9 out of the Steelers' first 11 games were against defenses in the top 13; 4 of those were against top 6 teams. The other two were #17 and #18.

It gets significantly easier to end the season, with Baltimore being the highest ranked D at #15. Cleveland is 18th, Carolina 19th, Vegas 27th, and Atlanta 28th. It will be interesting to see how the offense performs against mostly the lower half of the league, instead of the top half. I have a feeling Kenny is going to look a lot better in these games.

chipped ham

Reaction score
We split with the ravens, lose to the panthers and Raiders, win against Atlanta and the browns. 3-3 for the rest of the season.
Ehhh I dunno….the seem to do alright when there’s an “event” game, and against the raiders, it’s Franco night. I don’t think they drop it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, the Falcons and Panthers just don't scare me.

Also, 9 out of the Steelers' first 11 games were against defenses in the top 13; 4 of those were against top 6 teams. The other two were #17 and #18.

It gets significantly easier to end the season, with Baltimore being the highest ranked D at #15. Cleveland is 18th, Carolina 19th, Vegas 27th, and Atlanta 28th. It will be interesting to see how the offense performs against mostly the lower half of the league, instead of the top half. I have a feeling Kenny is going to look a lot better in these games.

Great point and wasn't the Colts "D" ranked around #5. The Steelers O looked reasonable against that D. I don't expect Us to carve anyone up but I do expect improveent as these games progress, especialy against mid-pack defense.

Fighting Pickett will continue to make strides, no we need the OC to do so as well.

Keep in mind that this weaker schedule gives opportunity for O'Canada to be kept after this season. Scary thought

Salute the nation

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm. Right now no team in the NFC South has a winning record. If we go 4 - 0 against the NFC South and have a better overall record than any of them can we be awarded the NFC South playoff berth? Asking for a friend.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Hmm. Right now no team in the NFC South has a winning record. If we go 4 - 0 against the NFC South and have a better overall record than any of them can we be awarded the NFC South playoff berth? Asking for a friend.
That’s the problem with having eight four team divisions. I’ve argued in favor of having four eight team divisions.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
When is the last time we lost to the Ravens???

I'll answer it - we've swept them the past 2 seasons. Don't give the Ravens a pass until they can beat us.

We could win 5 of the remaining 6 games - just sayin'...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That’s the problem with having eight four team divisions. I’ve argued in favor of having four eight team divisions.
I wouldn't like the idea of no home-and-home games. There really aren't many years when a "deserving" playoff team gets left out because of a bad division winner, especially now with seven teams from each conference making the playoffs.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
When is the last time we lost to the Ravens???

I'll answer it - we've swept them the past 2 seasons. Don't give the Ravens a pass until they can beat us.
In the past twelve years, there's been six splits and three series sweeps on each side. The last five games have been decided by five points or less.

The games are usually close, and a split is probably more likely than a sweep.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

1) New England (6-5)
2) Cleveland (4-7)
3) NY Jets (7-4)
4) Buffalo (8-3)
5) Miami (8-3)
6) Philadelphia (10-1)
7) Cincinnati (7-4)

Atlanta (5-7)
BALTIMORE (7-4)
Carolina (4-8)
LAS VEGAS (4-7)
Baltimore (7-4)
CLEVELAND (4-7)

And there was nooooooooooooooooooooo doubt about it!