• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A Steelers 7-round Mock Draft with the No. 2 Overall Pick

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
According to recent rumors, there seems to be a solid possibility that Antonio Brown will be traded to the 49ers. Fans should hope that the Steelers can put together a package for the No. 2 overall pick, though that may be difficult. Here is a mock draft if the Steelers somehow finesse their way to […]

More...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I haven't seen Bosa much, but is he that good? The few Charger games I saw I wasn't impressed with his brother

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I haven't seen Bosa much, but is he that good? The few Charger games I saw I wasn't impressed with his brother

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Nick Bosa had a very good sophomore season and was of to a fast start as a junior, then he got hurt. Nick is an explosive athlete as a pass rusher, but has not done much in coverage and average vs. the run.

I'd pick OLB Josh Allen over him. Allen looks like a future pro bowl player, and could really be a special player.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Would love Bosa but we could also trade back a few spots and still get a great player plus another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

coolshark

Contributor
Reaction score
Do we really believe the Rooney's are interested in paying a top 5 pick contract?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Do we really believe the Rooney's are interested in paying a top 5 pick contract?

Yes. Brown's cap number in 2020 is 18.3 million AND 19.5 million in 2010. A top 5 pick won't cost that much for 5 years. Not even close! Brown to the 49ers for their first round pick, Steelers select Josh Allen with the 2nd overall pick. With him and Watt, the DB's will have some easily days.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-6.html

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Y’all gonna be pissed when the Steelers trade him for a 3rd and a 6th.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
If they trade him at all.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Well, of course I would take Oliver over Bosa at #2...

with the 2nd 6th rounder I would look at Isiah Johnson if he is there. Tall, fast corner...just needs some work on his footwork

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Pre Senior bowl and combine / Pro day mock draft

Pre Senior bowl and combine / Pro day mock draft

Steelers send Brown to San Fransico in exchange for their #2 overall pick. This gives the Steelers the option to trading the pick if another team is smitten by QB Dwayne Haskins or picking an impact defender. Of course all of the picks in this mock draft can quickly change with a bad workout, an injury, a failed drug test or character red flags!

Round 1. ( #2 OVERALL ) OLB Josh Allen. An athletic powerhouse with no significant injuries. A deluxe pass rusher who can win with speed, power or length, physical forcer of fumbles, talented enough to play in coverage too. SEC battle tested. I think Allen has Pro Bowl ability.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-6.html

Round one. Pick 20. ILB Devin White. Inside linebacker is traditionally undervalued in round one. There has been a rise in the quarterbacks for the draft, which could push White down a bit. Christmas in April happens as he falls to us. White is all over the field, complete with sideline to sideline speed, solid tackling, the ability to be an asset in coverage, make plays behind the line of scrimmage, and force fumbles.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/devin-white-1.html

Round two: WR Marquise Brown. I don't care if he's just 5'10" tall 168 pounds. This man has road runner type speed and acceleration and is capable of buring guys deep, or taking short passes to the house. Paired with Ben, and excellent deep passer, Brown would make an excellent complement for Ju-Ju, and give our offense something we lack. A respected deep threat. Brown could upgrade our kickoff units too. While he did play vs. some weaker defenses and he is small, I see no major injuries. I think Brown could be an option at pick #20, depending on who is on the board. Admittedly I need to look at more film on him, but he seems to be good at tracking the deep ball and catches it cleanly.

Watch him work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtZOpfqXao

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marquise-brown-1.html

Round three: DB Isaiah Johnson. Johnson is very tall and rangy. He might not be ready to play as a rookie, but he could make a nice free safety. Sean Davis, in my opinion, is anything but a good tackler and ball hawk. Coolie would approve of Johnson replacing him.

Round 4: Nose Tackle. PJ Johnson. To run a 3-4 you need 2 good OLB's and one ILB who can cover, which this draft has provided. Now its time to get a true Nose Tackle. Johnson is huge, a father of two ( which is why he's entering the draft ) , and has the ability to hold his ground, shed tackles, and make a fair amount of plays. Out depth at Interior line is very thin. If he works out well, he's going earlier. The good news is he only had one season at Arizona so he's true value could be under rated.

Round 6 (1 of 2): Cornerback. Jordan Brown. A productive small school corner, Brown has good size, decent speed, and made a lot of plays on the ball. If he does well at the senior bowl, he won't last this long.

Round 6 (2 of 2): Kicker. Matt Gay. We need a reliable kicker, which Boswell is not. Gay has a strong leg and is capable of converting field goals 56 yards or more ( He made two at that range. ) He is 85 for 85 on extra points and has a career accuracy of 86.2% on field goals. He would likely be an upgrade on kickoffs. He's also about 4 million cheaper on the cap for several seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-gay-2.html

Round 7: Punter Mitch Wishnowsky. Matt Gay's teamate has a big-time leg. He also a fine last man defender with 5 solo tackles, and has run trick play value as a runner. Berry is a tier 3 NFL punter and costs 1.9 million on the cap last season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mitch-wishnowsky-1.html

*** What would a draft like this do for the Steelers? ***

Rebuild a 3-4 or nickel defense, add deep speed to the offense, give us a chess peice for situational defense and upgrade K, P, and the return game for special teams. I'd use the free agency money on a quality cornerback and depth for OL.

Spike

Reaction score
Alabama RB Josh Jacobs just declared for draft, all purpose, catches passes, returns punts and kicks, viewed one of the top backs available

Screw the D, they wont score us the 40 points we need to win in the playoffs

Troglodyte

Reaction score
No way in hell do the Steelers replace AB with his own cousin. Too much potential for AB to interfere and if the kid turned out to be another head case, the embarrassment and humiliation would be off the charts.

ark steel

Reaction score
I agree with Trog if that guy is AB's cousin. No issue (at this point) with Coach's D picks. I whole-heartedly disagree with P and K as draft picks, as usual.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think even the 49ers are dumb enough to give up 2nd overall pick for a 31 year old reciever

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
trade down a few spots after the trade and select Ed Oliver and your front 7 is DE Tuitt DT Hargrave DT Oliver DE Heyward OLB Watt MLB Williams OLB Bush

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree with Trog if that guy is AB's cousin. No issue (at this point) with Coach's D picks. I whole-heartedly disagree with P and K as draft picks, as usual.

I don't care. AB will be busy on his new team, and would really look bad if he took a shot at his cousin. We need a speed WR. He's it.

If not for Boswell, we make the playoffs. I have zero faith in him. Have you ever seen a kicker say I used to lack confidence that is playing well in the NFL? Berry is just below par. Why pay a kicker 4-5 million and punter nearly 2 million? We can draft better and save oh about 5 million in cap space.

Special teams need to be upgraded. I take that back, MUST be upgraded.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I dont think even the 49ers are dumb enough to give up 2nd overall pick for a 31 year old reciever

Brown is 30. No one say he hasn't been remarkable and healthy for years. Yes, they might. Jerry Rice is sold on him. This is a below average receiver draft. San Fran might ask us for or 2nd in exchange for their third for Brown and the #2 overall pick. I hope so.

If Tomlin can't handle divas, get then out.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
****, Bryant went for a 3rd rounder and Amari went for a 1st. We absolutely should at least get a first for AB. He is better than both of them combined.

Troglodyte

Reaction score

I’m thinking the Steelers would have to throw in their 2nd (#52? overall) as well or something like that.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m thinking the Steelers would have to throw in their 2nd (#52? overall) as well or something like that.

Yeah that is a lot different than just 2nd overall

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Brown is 30. No one say he hasn't been remarkable and healthy for years. Yes, they might. Jerry Rice is sold on him. This is a below average receiver draft. San Fran might ask us for or 2nd in exchange for their third for Brown and the #2 overall pick. I hope so.

If Tomlin can't handle divas, get then out.

Sorry instead of wasting time and actually typing out that he will be 31 when season starts. I just said 31.

I dont think even the 49ers are dumb enough to trade for a 30 year old wide reciever who will be 31 when season starts. Is thay better?