• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Aaron Rodgers Signing With The Pittsburgh Steelers Is Reportedly “Heating Up”

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
LOL....Just for you Ben superfans:
https://dailysnark.com/2021/12/05/a...pittsburgh-steelers-is-reportedly-heating-up/

Back in October, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers sent social media into a frenzy when he was seen sharing a moment with Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

Colin Cowherd of Fox Sports once again mentioned the Steelers as a possible suitor for the reigning league MVP after the 2021 season is over.

“Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers. Keep your eyes on it,” longtime sports radio host Colin Cowherd said.

The news comes the same week Ben Roethlisberger told former teammates and some within the organization that he expects this to be his final season playing quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have Mason Rudolph next up, but his play on the field shows that he is not starting QB caliber in this league. Dwayne Haskins flamed out of Washington with his behavior and has yet to play a game for the Steelers, so the jury is still out on whether he could be the guy.

It would be the perfect fit for Rodgers to come and finish out his career in Pittsburgh while giving the franchise more time to find a younger replacement in the meantime.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Know what else is heating up? The air coming out of your ***/mouth (interchangeable it looks).

"Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers. Keep your eyes on it,” longtime sports radio host Colin Cowherd said.

80449515d96a36829797da9202d66964.gif

What's really the "lol" is you posting some tripe from something called the daily snark. I wouldn't be against it by any measure now that I've gotten a good look at what's behind Ben, but what in the world did this piece of **** clickbait article provide that we don't already know?

steelhurt

Reaction score
Geez! He cannot sign here! He is not going to be a free agent unless the Packers release him and that’s not going to happen when they can trade him for valuable draft picks.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Geez! He cannot sign here! He is not going to be a free agent unless the Packers release him and that’s not going to happen when they can trade him for valuable draft picks.
Not exactly what I heard. I heard that he has an opt out? Anywho I will still pimp him even past next year's trade deadline. I hear from a deniable source that we can get him even then for two number 1s.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Rodgers would come in at a huge discount. We have too many needs to fill and with Ben and Tuitt more than likely gone, that is a $20 million cap hit. Add Rodgers anywhere near what he is making now and we have nothing left to even sign Minkah and Johnson. I don't see it happening, not even for the 2 or 3 years it might be.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If Rodgers would come in at a huge discount. We have too many needs to fill and with Ben and Tuitt more than likely gone, that is a $20 million cap hit. Add Rodgers anywhere near what he is making now and we have nothing left to even sign Minkah and Johnson. I don't see it happening, not even for the 2 or 3 years it might be.
Why would he want to come here and play behind this horrible OL? And he'll suck up enough cap money that we won't be able to improve it. And he's only two years younger than Ben. Ben sticks up for his boys, Rodgers throws his teammates under the bus all the time. One can easily picture a postgame presser with Rodgers, "The offensive line sucked and my receivers are fucktards who run the wrong routes."

Stewey

Reaction score
In one of the comments:

You need to do your own research a little better... the Packers voided his 2023 contract year to get him to end his walk out and for cap reasons. So if the Packers want any value before he is a free agent....it has to be before the 2022 season trade deadline.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why would he want to come here and play behind this horrible OL? And he'll suck up enough cap money that we won't be able to improve it. And he's only two years younger than Ben. Ben sticks up for his boys, Rodgers throws his teammates under the bus all the time. One can easily picture a postgame presser with Rodgers, "The offensive line sucked and my receivers are fucktards who run the wrong routes."
I don't think he will and don't want him to. It's everyone else talking about him coming here. I say, hell no. I'd rather draft a QB.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Something we don't have or should not give up leastwise we suffer on our needs and thus a wasted trade. If something suitable for team gain can be had then hell yess but if team future is jepordised for big name then fail.

Salute the nation

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
The Steelers have too many needs on both lines to offer up any draft capital to get him. He would be in the same situation as Ben with this line. It's time for a draft rebuild and they have $140M of cap room in 2023 with zero dead money as part of that hopefully quick return.

deljzc

Reaction score
This team is going to bring in a veteran QB. They just are not built or have the capabilities of going "young". Art II doesn't have the patience for it. Colbert doesn't have the patience for it and Tomlin (I think) has had it with Roethlisberger and wants to see if the grass is greener with another veteran.

There will be cap room and I think they can make cap room as well. We know this team has no issue mortgaging future cap dollars for right now. They renegotiate every veteran practically yearly.

The only question is how many draft picks they are willing to give up. That's the only historical question mark I see, but if Rogers gives an ultimatum or does the "I'll only play for these 3 teams", etc. then maybe (MAYBE), the price goes down enough for the Steelers and their frugal value of draft picks to get competitive.

Who knows. I'm telling you, if it's not Rogers, it will be Russell Wilson. If not Wilson, then Kirk Cousins. If not Cousins, then Jimmy Garappolo. If not Garappolo, then Jared Goff. Derek Carr might be available. Baker Mayfield might be available.

I think there is zero percent chance Mason Rudolf is #1 on the QB depth chart for this team in 2021. Zero.

Now I guess it's possible we can pick a QB in the draft at #15. New England did that with Mac Jones. And maybe the QB's in this draft class have just enough questions to push them down into the middle of round 1. But I just don't think that's what Tombert wants to do. And I don't think that's what Art wants to do.

We know this team inflates their opinion of what we have. They think we have a Super Bowl caliber defense. They think they have a good enough offensive line (now on the "cheap" to get the job done. They think we have a RB to run into the ground on his rookie contract.

I don't think all that is true, but it doesn't matter what I think. It's what THEY think.

I think they draft a CB because there WILL be a hole there with Hayden gone. We will have over $45 million in cap room once Roethlisberger retires. We can get a lot more if they re-negotiate Watt. They might tag Schuster (but I think Colbert thinks he can get one in round 2). All the signs point to a blockbuster QB deal for a veteran. It's just who they can get on the cheap.

This team wants to win. Tomlin is tired of mediocrity, Colbert is tired of mediocrity. I just don't think they know how to do it. The **** is going to hit the fan around here. And Tombert is going to respond. Whether their decisions are going to be smart enough or correct, well - I don't have much faith. But it's coming.

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
Rogers will want no part of our offensive personnel, especially Canada.

My offsrason/post Ben wishlist (realistic because I know Tomlin is going nowhere unfortunately)

1. Fire Canada, this offense is at the bottom of the league in scoring, yards.and rush offense, don't tell about giving him more time he sucks...and had no business with his hands on crafting our short or long term future. Hire a guy with NFL experience

2. The QB class for this coming draft has a very low chance of yielding a franchise QB, don't use a premium pick on one this year

3. Bring a a free agent vet or trade a low round draft pick for one. The vet, Rudolph, and Haskins compete for #1, best man wins, we probably are mediocre to bad next year, but it beats mortgaging our future by reaching in the draft this year or giving a boatload of picks for Rogers or Wilson with too many holes in the roster to complete for a championship

4. Build up other positions in the 2022 draft

5. Be ready to pounce inthe 2023 draft, trade up if needed for the guy you think can be a franchise player

It sucks to be mediocre in 2022 but I see no other option

steelhurt

Reaction score
Del, none of those guys will be wearing black n' gold if I know the Steelers. They will not and should not give up prime draft picks for a soon to be 38 year old Rodgers, a 33 year old with lots of miles Wilson, or the others you mention.
No, I think the route they take and I'm certain you guys will be upset by this, but they sign free agent Mitch Trubisky back up to Josh Allen in Buffalo. Doesn't cost them any draft capital, Trubisky lot cheaper to sign, and if you look at Mitch's stats while a Bear they aren't bad at all. Pro Bowl one year, playoffs two years, and a good positive TD to Int ratio, something like 64/38 with almost 11,000 passing yards in four years with the Bears. Remember, that team had lousy coaching, not many playmakers and the guy still passed for over 3,000 yards twice.
Nah, I think this makes sense for the team and they can use the draft to add pieces as well as spend some of that money in free agency to add even more pieces. Surround him with good players and I think he will be successful here. He will have a couple good receivers, a good TE and RB, so lets add quality to the OL and go from there. And he's still young about 27 and he's mobile with strong arm. I just have a feeling that's where they will go.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
LOL....Just for you Ben superfans:
https://dailysnark.com/2021/12/05/a...pittsburgh-steelers-is-reportedly-heating-up/

Back in October, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers sent social media into a frenzy when he was seen sharing a moment with Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

Colin Cowherd of Fox Sports once again mentioned the Steelers as a possible suitor for the reigning league MVP after the 2021 season is over.

“Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers. Keep your eyes on it,” longtime sports radio host Colin Cowherd said.

The news comes the same week Ben Roethlisberger told former teammates and some within the organization that he expects this to be his final season playing quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have Mason Rudolph next up, but his play on the field shows that he is not starting QB caliber in this league. Dwayne Haskins flamed out of Washington with his behavior and has yet to play a game for the Steelers, so the jury is still out on whether he could be the guy.

It would be the perfect fit for Rodgers to come and finish out his career in Pittsburgh while giving the franchise more time to find a younger replacement in the meantime.
But... It's your position that anything more than a journeyman, mediocre QB is detrimental to any hopes of a championship.
Why you'd want a guy who's done less than Roethlisberger, but is still too talented to run your "QB for hire" offense is confusing.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why is this a thread?
He needs validation for his vitriol against Roethlisberger and GOD knows we can't let Mike Tomlin try to coach a team WITHOUT a top tier QB. Jesus. What would happen?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not being sarcastic. I wouldn't give up more than a 2nd for Rodgers. He's only a couple years younger than Ben, which means he may be right at that dreaded "cliff" himself. Love him all you want, but Rodgers is Phillip Rivers with 1 Superbowl. Great numbers through the season, disappears in the playoffs. Prove me wrong?

On top of that, Rodgers is a complete locker and team cancer. He literally got his coach fired so he could statistically perform exactly like he did BEFORE he got his coach fired. (I'm not against the idea of getting Rodgers if it means he could get Tomlin fired. That would be worth a 2nd EASY!)

To be honest, I'm against any vet QB signing right now unless he's pretty much league minimum. I say they sleep in the bed they've made. Ride out a year with Rudolph to see what he can really do as an every-week starter and look forward to future drafts to get a potential franchise or at least good QB assuming Rudolph doesn't improve. Honestly, the way Canada and Fichtner before him ran this offense, Rudolph may be a decent fit. He was very accurate with those short routes and throws before he was brained by Garret.

I say they full on commit to improving the offensive and defensive line. They should spend at least the top 3 picks shoring up those lines with bonafide starters that can actually resemble an NFL line. (Particularly on offense.) If they can find a MLB somewhere great. Shobert is just ok, and Bush is either trying to get out or he's just lost his desire to be a professional football player.

At cornerback, we pretty much just purposefully shot ourselves in the foot over and over again last offseason. They have some young guys that show a bit of promise. If they can find somebody without reaching for depth, great. But the fact is they really NEED to focus on the most glaring weakness the team has, which is the line. If there's any hope of Najee Harris actually helping this team, they need to give him a chance. He alone may be able to keep the Steelers at least competitive.

As a fan, I can bear a **** season. Even... (gulp) a losing season if I can see that the FO is TRYING to build a core for the future. Truth is, spending a bunch of money and draft capital on another top tier QB is just putting lipstick on a pig and protecting Tomlin's sacred non-losing season record. It's as sad as throwing a screen to AB late in a game for no other reason than to preserve his catch in games streak. Obvious, weak and ultimately counter to the long term goals of the franchise.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'm not being sarcastic. I wouldn't give up more than a 2nd for Rodgers. He's only a couple years younger than Ben, which means he may be right at that dreaded "cliff" himself. Love him all you want, but Rodgers is Phillip Rivers with 1 Superbowl. Great numbers through the season, disappears in the playoffs. Prove me wrong?

On top of that, Rodgers is a complete locker and team cancer. He literally got his coach fired so he could statistically perform exactly like he did BEFORE he got his coach fired. (I'm not against the idea of getting Rodgers if it means he could get Tomlin fired. That would be worth a 2nd EASY!)

To be honest, I'm against any vet QB signing right now unless he's pretty much league minimum. I say they sleep in the bed they've made. Ride out a year with Rudolph to see what he can really do as an every-week starter and look forward to future drafts to get a potential franchise or at least good QB assuming Rudolph doesn't improve. Honestly, the way Canada and Fichtner before him ran this offense, Rudolph may be a decent fit. He was very accurate with those short routes and throws before he was brained by Garret.

I say they full on commit to improving the offensive and defensive line. They should spend at least the top 3 picks shoring up those lines with bonafide starters that can actually resemble an NFL line. (Particularly on offense.) If they can find a MLB somewhere great. Shobert is just ok, and Bush is either trying to get out or he's just lost his desire to be a professional football player.

At cornerback, we pretty much just purposefully shot ourselves in the foot over and over again last offseason. They have some young guys that show a bit of promise. If they can find somebody without reaching for depth, great. But the fact is they really NEED to focus on the most glaring weakness the team has, which is the line. If there's any hope of Najee Harris actually helping this team, they need to give him a chance. He alone may be able to keep the Steelers at least competitive.

As a fan, I can bear a **** season. Even... (gulp) a losing season if I can see that the FO is TRYING to build a core for the future. Truth is, spending a bunch of money and draft capital on another top tier QB is just putting lipstick on a pig and protecting Tomlin's sacred non-losing season record. It's as sad as throwing a screen to AB late in a game for no other reason than to preserve his catch in games streak. Obvious, weak and ultimately counter to the long term goals of the franchise.

I'd move up and draft Pickett before I'd give away the future for a 38 year old qb who's near his end too.It's just foolish.

They have some building to do and too many busts from first rounders that have hurt the team. Losing Shazier and Bush not even coming close to filling one of his shoes is a big setback as well.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
We need OL and there are exp QBs that would be more cost effective, if Ben retires. It's a crime we passed on Creed Humphrey this past draft. If Tyler Linderbaum fom Iowa is there, he better be on their draft board.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Improve the o-line through free agency...They got the stud in the back field....I think?

And do what they did with a young Ben....especially if Mason is their choice next season., which it will probably be..

run the damn ball and play physical defense....
That has proven to be successful for us in the past especially with a young QB..
This will get us back to Steeler football also..

K.I.S.S

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I still think that they put the money into the non-QB positions and go with Mason. If we suck, we get a pretty good team to go after a legit (more than this year's possibilities) QB in the next draft. Or, Mason looks good to darn good, and we stick with him.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
NFL rumors tend to not have any validity until after Super Bowl.