• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Aaron smith

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
why isnt this guy ever mentioned for the hall of fame? 13 seasons. best at his trade for at least 10 off them. No one could run on his side. He was the best Dline we have had since Mean Joe including Big Snack. He was the reason we were so good at stopping the run for so many years. Dick LeBeau said he was the best defensive player he had ever seen.

this guy was an amazing Steeler

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Perception is reality, especially in this "age of stats". WE know he is hall of fame caliber but the perception outside of Steeler fans is that his lack of measurable stats means he isn't worthy. Sad but true. Maybe, years from now, he will get a shot as a Senior inductee.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also---self promotion is a key to media recognition...media recognition is key to being elected to the Hall..

Aaron was not a Hall of Famer as it related to that "skill-set".

Last edited:

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
He was a beast and a true professional ,also a perfect fit for our system. But unfortunately run stoppers and great teammates dont get much thought for the Hall. 44 sacks in 13 years wont get you in the hall. Not saying he couldn't have had many more in a different system , I think he had the talent to do that , but he just didnt get enough opportunity .

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He was not HOFer material. Sure, he was great for the Steelers. He was a role player and did it very well. Loved the guy but I don't see him being even considered for the HOF.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY one of the best STEELERS to play the game. He would have to go on our all american SUPER STEELERS team.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Smith was one of those guys that you cannot win a championship without and no one ever talks about. I'm sure he has or will get his due at the team level, but guys who do the dirty work and RARELY screw up do not go into the HOF. I think you can put Heath Miller in the exact same category.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Numbers, numbers, numbers! The same reason why Ward will struggle to get into the HOF, no one can look past #'s.
Ward has the numbers. Smith does not have the numbers. Ward will get in eventually even if it comes as a veteran committee vote.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Ward has the numbers. Smith does not have the numbers. Ward will get in eventually even if it comes as a veteran committee vote.
Ward does have the numbers, but alot of people say they aren't good enough, but I agree he should get it. My point with Smith is that he was never going to have the numbers because the way we played defense

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Legend that will not make the HOF. The 3-4 defense is just not geared for the DL guys to get any credit for anything. The LBs are who get the credit.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Legend that will not make the HOF. The 3-4 defense is just not geared for the DL guys to get any credit for anything. The LBs are who get the credit.

Salute the nation
This is 100% accurate. I think Smith did get Pro Bowl accolades. The goal of true 3-4 defense (not sure if they really play that anymore). Is to have oversized Defensive lineman force double teams and freeing up light fast linebackers to bring pressure and fill gaps. Smith was a tip of the spear player.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Hampton gets a lot of credit for being the dominant force against the run for the Steelers. He was excellent, but Smith was the main man on that defensive line. Just dominant as a 3-4 DE. Best in the league during his playing career.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Bill B said he is hands down the best 3-4 DE when he was playing, I always imagined a DL of Smith Hampton Seymour would of been killer

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ive always said he was a near lock once he gets to the veterans vote... writers put in the stats... vets put in the technique.... that Steelers D of tge 00’s will age better than you think.... troy and Harrison won’t be the only two to make it...

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Aaron wasn't a stats guy which is what the HOF looks for. Being a 3-4 D Lineman, there isn't much chance to be a big "stats guy". But he was a guy who was extremely well rounded and could do everything very well. Solid as a rock. He was great against the run, could rush the passer very well and worked his *** off. Great all time Steeler on defense, but will never be considered for the HOF unfortunately.