• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Adams ready to rebound

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll see. I'm still not sold on Adams. I want him to succeed here - badly. But I don't see the desire/work ethic/skill set yet.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If Munchak could get more out of a few of these guys, we could have a very good line. God our drafting has been brutal when on successive days a high draft pick comes out and says why he is going to be better.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Word on the South side is he has a mean dribble. Yinz might be onto something here.:cool:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I was against the Adams pick from the beginning. I understand they had him rated higher and figured good value but to me he's always been a RT only. I remember Devon Still abusing him in the PSU game and Still is not a nimble man. The pot smoking didn't help his cause and I had him rated as a late third or early 4th grade.

That said I still have some hope for him at RT as Gilbert was abused there but Adams did show some good power and aggressiveness in the short yard/goal line plays he was in.

Still feel we have to draft a OT for Munchak that fits his system. Matthews fits Munchak to a T but is unlikely there at 15. Lewan has an outside chance and does fit but I feel would be a project and not sure we go project in round one. JaJuan James fits the eye test I'm just not sure of his smarts. If he has some brains and coachability I would take him in round two no problem. After those three I am not impressed with much until later in the draft. Round 4 or later. James Hurst seems to be the classic overachiever but I like his competitiveness. Not sure he has the feet for zone and without any offseason workouts he's a risky pick. Matt Patchan has a ton of upside and in a later round could be a steal if you can keep him on the field. Not sure of his smarts though. Justin Britt intrigues me. Last year he was recovering from an ACL injury so keeping that in mind I feel he should have the quickness needed to fit in the zb scheme. A guy I really like as an UDFA or 7th round pick is Jake Olson from Central Mich. big, agile, strong but got hurt before the season. I think if we wait that long Munchak has stated he likes the current roster though.

skialta

Reaction score
lol
another glass half full post from OP

yay steelers!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I

Idioteque

I've always thought he had an awesome RT skillset. Barring an early OT pick, I think he should enter camp as our top RT choice. I don't think he's a lost cause just yet.

Marcus Gilbert is no longer a consideration in my eyes. I wouldn't bat an eye if he didn't survive preseason cuts.

bmoritz

Reaction score
I have a ton more hope for Adams than I do Gilbert.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think adams, needs to remember what got him here. I read somewhere, (sorry can't remember where), that adams got into the mentality of reacting, instead of initiating, the block. He was reacting to the defensive lineman, instead of taking the fight to him. Being aggressive, makes the "D" guy have to react to you, which at one time adams was good at that, but in the NFL, became tentative for some reason. What ever the reasoning, I hope he over comes and thrives.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I thought maybe Flozell was coming back.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I hope so. These drafts since Tomlin's been here are bordering on disastrous. I loved the DE Castro pick but thought this pick of Adams would come back and bite them. If he doesn't beat out Gilbert this year looks like my original feelings about the Adam's pick was correct. Bad!

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Gilbert is a misfit in a zone and Adams, he should open up as the prime challenger to him, I wan't to see Beachum stay at LT, he is bulking up and is perfect for a up tempo spread offense, he has the feat to stay on the edge and will have more power. Gilbert is a OT that is built for our bettis/duce era. He gets killed vs speed rushers.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Munchak could get more out of a few of these guys, we could have a very good line. God our drafting has been brutal when on successive days a high draft pick comes out and says why he is going to be better.

Our best addition, this off season!!!!!

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
if munchak can improve Gilbert in pass protection and Adams comes in and plays the way he ended 2013 he should overtake Beachum, then I would like to see Beaer chum settle in at LG, foster is slow and a real liability in pass protection, esp in this div as Peko just owns him every time he plays him, Decastro should be able to play vs Atkins better now.
I still see Beachum as the opening day starter he will surprise many, don't be surprised if he walks in camp and ota's ripped around 315-320.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
if munchak can improve Gilbert in pass protection and Adams comes in and plays the way he ended 2013 he should overtake Beachum, then I would like to see Beaer chum settle in at LG, foster is slow and a real liability in pass protection, esp in this div as Peko just owns him every time he plays him, Decastro should be able to play vs Atkins better now.
I still see Beachum as the opening day starter he will surprise many, don't be surprised if he walks in camp and ota's ripped around 315-320.

I just can't see etiher Adams or Gilbert playing LT, ever

steelhurt

Reaction score
Unless there is hidden talent in either Adams or Gilbert that Munch can bring out, LT isn't happening. This teams needs to seriously examine there scouting system as well as Tomlin and Colbert when it comes to evaluating talent within the last 7-8 seasons. There has been far too many misses in that span and its shown up the last couple years. Now it seems we're having to plug holes with the likes of other team's castoffs. Not good!

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I just can't see etiher Adams or Gilbert playing LT, ever
Gilbert never Adams has a potential to be a cornerstone he just will need to be more consistent, we don't know how him being stabbed 7 times and losing close to 20 lbs, perhaps he toke his starting job for granted and now he will get really hard competition from beachum, who in a pass first zone offense can be a good plug in for the long run.

deljzc

Reaction score
We need more information and "wait and see" on almost every part of our offensive line this season.

The roster is practically set (Beachum, Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Wallace & Whimper). It's just a matter of what these guy put on tape with Munchak pulling the strings.

It's a complete unknown. Even the effectiveness of Pouncey and how good DeCastro really is are still up in the air. Can Beachum play LT after teams get a chance to really scout him? Can Adams and/or Gilbert take a step forward with Munchak? Can Foster go from an average starter to good starter?

I don't know and I think most here are just guessing what's going to happen. We'll just have to wait and see.

Wingman

Reaction score
If I remember correctly both Adams and Beachum played left tackle in college. Until the positive test for weed Adams was expected to be a first round pick and lots of folks had us picking him in the first round. With some luck and Munchack maybe these picks can be turned into something. At the very least we will have in Beachum and Adams a good right tackle and excellent back up. These guys are still developing and could make a big jump this year. Gilbert may become a back up who knows we have 3 players going for two positions and if a left tackle prospect falls to us we may have 4 guys that are high draft picks fighting for two spots. This could be the year we finally get coaching on the line needed to develop some guys that we have.

Now with all that said it might be that we have drafted guys that can't play the position and never will no matter what coach we have. Our drafts have not resulted in us replacing talent very well in the recent past, blame who ever you want no matter who has been cooking the **** stew it is still **** stew and it has been cooked in the kitchen and we are not allowed in there to see who is cooking it. I hope these guys make a jump other than off sides this year but I would not be surprised if we don't have a trifecta regarding the 8 and 8 record this year as well.