• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Add more Free agents or stand pat?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I suppose I don’t understand why so many have WR as a not a need. It’s a premium position in the NFL so a day 1 or 2 investment is a good one. The Steelers only have two right now, so a third is a need. They have four top-100 picks…maybe more come draft day.

Here are tge things we need… (Some aren’t available in free agency and would have to be a draft fix)

1.A stud OT, preferably a LT.. to be honest, with the lack of depth there, if they got a guy for LT and a guy to eventually take RT over that would be smart

2. An actual NT type DT. I think this can be found at 49 in the draft… maybe at 80…

3. A shutdown CB … this may simply not be available and if this type of guy is, it would have to be at 17…. If that guy isnt there, then it would be fine to address the position later with another slot guy

4. A 4th wr upgrade. We probably have the top 2 positions on lockdown and we have 3 guys who can play slot even if Sims doesn’t come back, but another outside threat is a good plan unless you are sold on cody white breaking out.

5. A backup/ developmental ILB … we have what? 3 on the roster now? We are definitely drafting one.

6. A backup/ development edge rusher.

7. A #2 ( preferably blocking) TE

8.a Backup Strong Safety.

9. A #3 QB

So we have seven draft picks… its safe to say we may still be targeting a couple ufas… probably at edge and te, maybe wr but with our ability to find those, I’m not sure a pricey free agent is the right choice

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Here are tge things we need… (Some aren’t available in free agency and would have to be a draft fix)

1.A stud OT, preferably a LT.. to be honest, with the lack of depth there, if they got a guy for LT and a guy to eventually take RT over that would be smart
I'm pretty certain we can get a quality OT at either 17 or 32. Very good teams have recently invested heavily in a single offseason and it paid off. I am 100% for the Steelers doing the same.

2. An actual NT type DT. I think this can be found at 49 in the draft… maybe at 80…
I'll believe it when I see it when they actually value this position, but it is absolutely a need, especially with the guys they signed. You are spot on with the target range for this position.

3. A shutdown CB … this may simply not be available and if this type of guy is, it would have to be at 17…. If that guy isnt there, then it would be fine to address the position later with another slot guy
With Peterson along with Wallace, Witherspoon, and Maulet, there is room for an upgrade, just not an immediate need if the right guy isn't there. Again, I'm with you that if there's a talented option there at 17, it'd be hard to pass on. Otherwise, this is a pretty deep class they they can find a developmental No. 3 type in the middle rounds.

4. A 4th wr upgrade. We probably have the top 2 positions on lockdown and we have 3 guys who can play slot even if Sims doesn’t come back, but another outside threat is a good plan unless you are sold on cody white breaking out.
I am at a No. 3 WR upgrade. You can say I'm not sold on any of the guy they have for this role. The main reason is I have zero belief Canada can scheme these guys to be put in position to succeed so they'll have to overcome it with talent.

5. A backup/ developmental ILB … we have what? 3 on the roster now? We are definitely drafting one.
This is a position I hope they don't force. You can find good players in rounds 2-4. Jack Campbell is probably the only guy I take as early as 32 because I think he'll be a good player for a long time, but I can see Tomlin going for Simpson. Other than those two, they can wait.

I still think Dupree ends up here as a backup, but you can never have enough pass rushers.

Definitely, just not a high priority position and I'd wait until day 3 unless there is a clear best player available in the third.

In a weak market for safety, it seems like they can find a cheap UFA.

9. A #3 QB
With limited draft picks, I wonder if they'd spend another on a developmental QB.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I’d like to see a couple more signings so they can head into the draft prepared to take BPA.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I say we restructure Big Ben then do our best to try and resign Troy we could use the secondary help. I also wouldn't mind kicking the tires on James Harrison if we could sign him to a cap friendly deal.

On a serious note I think we need to stand pat for now and see how the draft shakes out. But I sure do miss the days of watching those three taking the field.. sigh
said the guy a decade ago...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
For the positions we lost and still have holes in FA:

S - Need backup FS and SS
ILB - 1 slot missing
TE - Need a backup TE
RB - Need a vet or UDFA to replace Snell
NT - Depth
OLB - A better 3rd pass rush option, though we have Roche and Jones rostered.
QB - WE go into camp with 4 and roster 3. Right now we have 2.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

ILB - 1 slot missing
TE - Need a backup TE
NT - Depth
how do you forget we also have Egbule on the roster

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm pretty certain we can get a quality OT at either 17 or 32. Very good teams have recently invested heavily in a single offseason and it paid off. I am 100% for the Steelers doing the same.

I'll believe it when I see it when they actually value this position, but it is absolutely a need, especially with the guys they signed. You are spot on with the target range for this position.

With Peterson along with Wallace, Witherspoon, and Maulet, there is room for an upgrade, just not an immediate need if the right guy isn't there. Again, I'm with you that if there's a talented option there at 17, it'd be hard to pass on. Otherwise, this is a pretty deep class they they can find a developmental No. 3 type in the middle rounds.

I am at a No. 3 WR upgrade. You can say I'm not sold on any of the guy they have for this role. The main reason is I have zero belief Canada can scheme these guys to be put in position to succeed so they'll have to overcome it with talent.

This is a position I hope they don't force. You can find good players in rounds 2-4. Jack Campbell is probably the only guy I take as early as 32 because I think he'll be a good player for a long time, but I can see Tomlin going for Simpson. Other than those two, they can wait.

I still think Dupree ends up here as a backup, but you can never have enough pass rushers.

Definitely, just not a high priority position and I'd wait until day 3 unless there is a clear best player available in the third.

In a weak market for safety, it seems like they can find a cheap UFA.

9. A #3 QB
With limited draft picks, I wonder if they'd spend another on a developmental QB.
They were looking at a lot of QBs that look to be round 6/7 types. I think if they really like a guy 7 is where we see a QB not anything before that. I am still not in the @17 camp for any ILBer. Especially after bringing in 2. I think this team has greater needs and I prefer a SS takes on a coverage role if needed.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

ILB - 1 slot missing
TE - Need a backup TE
NT - Depth

We probably fill one of those two QB spots with a UDFA, granted he would be a camp arm……. But never say never.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

ILB - 1 slot missing
TE - Need a backup TE
NT - Depth

I also hope like heck that OUR Edmunds can be resigned. Maybe get a two year contract worked out.

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
IMO with the Steeler's needs and the depth for each position in the draft, the Steelers should go CB, OT, DL...rest of the picks will be special teamers the next two years so...who cares

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO with the Steeler's needs and the depth for each position in the draft, the Steelers should go CB, OT, DL...rest of the picks will be special teamers the next two years so...who cares
They have a 1st, two 2nd, and a third. All of them should be starter capable. That is 4 players. Then if they draft exceptionally well the 4th rounder becomes a starter too. Or an important rotational player. (NT)

So T, CB,DE or NT or both,SS, and WR are all in play. As is OLber for depth.

7 needs, 7 draft picks. (Free agency can still lessen the needs...)

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
They have a 1st, two 2nd, and a third. All of them should be starter capable. That is 4 players. Then if they draft exceptionally well the 4th rounder becomes a starter too. Or an important rotational player. (NT)

So T, CB,DE or NT or both,SS, and WR are all in play. As is OLber for depth.

7 needs, 7 draft picks. (Free agency can still lessen the needs...)
A whole lot of Safeties out there looking for work. Sucks to be Edmunds. But, I think this means they can bring him back or add someone like him for a reasonable price. Week 2 of FA, and reality will start to set in for a lot of these unsigned guys.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Picking 32nd has that affect on teams.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A whole lot of Safeties out there looking for work. Sucks to be Edmunds. But, I think this means they can bring him back or add someone like him for a reasonable price. Week 2 of FA, and reality will start to set in for a lot of these unsigned guys.

This is a good scenario for the STEELERS, buyer’s market. I like Edmunds and have defended him when many had not. I do hope he gets signed here and for longer than 1 yr.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Edmunds to me can be upgraded but fits our team/scheme well. I definitely hope he is brought back. But yeah at this point the free agents available should be saying to themselves, uh oh. If their asking price is pricey they might want to come down off of it some.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is on his way out in Chicago after they traded for DJ Moore. Odd man out.
we could offer a 7th for him. Never used right, etc.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is on his way out in Chicago after they traded for DJ Moore. Odd man out.
we could offer a 7th for him. Never used right, etc.

Well I'd take that trade.

Then I'd bring in our one and only Coach, get him to broker ClayPUFF to a top 5 pick.!!!

Salute the nation

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd think we would have some cheaper signings, maybe later in FA when the dust clears. Watt would be the next restructure if we need a large chunk of space. I would also expect the next "big" signing, if any, would actually be the extension of Highsmith.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd think we would have some cheaper signings, maybe later in FA when the dust clears. Watt would be the next restructure if we need a large chunk of space. I would also expect the next "big" signing, if any, would actually be the extension of Highsmith.

YEP, I think Highsmith is going to cost, similar to what Durpee got w2hen he left. I hope maybe we can lessen the cost with an early extension. I'd think we have to get on that soon.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Im sort of worried about only having Heyward and Muth on the roster at TE ( Heyward is more a fb or Hback type than a true TE)

At this point I think if they don’t add another TE, one will be drafted in the first 3 picks…

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Im sort of worried about only having Heyward and Muth on the roster at TE ( Heyward is more a fb or Hback type than a true TE)

At this point I think if they don’t add another TE, one will be drafted in the first 3 picks…
OJ Howard is a free agent

er, was. now a Raider.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Investing two second-round draft picks at tight end in three years is not a way to build a championship team.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Although probably unpopular, we cannot prioritize OT/CB over the glaring weaknesses on the team IMO. We COULD draft an OT in the top 2 picks but is Moore or Chuks really as bad as our LB play? We had Spillane on the field on 3rd downs for Christ's sake! We have nobody to play the slot and have been pathetic waiting for our SS to get better defending the better TEs. We need a "slot capable" CB (which I think we can get later in the draft). We need better ILBs with at least ONE who can cover the TE and short zones. Our D is horrible when Watt is out of the line-up as proved this year. Highsmith "might" be a short-term employee as he may be too expensive to resign. If so, we need more at OLB over CB. Our DL needs more than Heyward and some average guys and a monster can be had later to occupy double-teams to allow us to blitz ILBs more. Picking a DL early just means 2 years of acclimation and weight training before he starts to look like Heyward (and Heyward, himself will be retired by then) so we need more than one at DL, preferably a NT late and a DE earlier.

As long as we have Canada as a play caller/conceptual OC, our offense is going to live and die by the running game. Maulers can be had on the cheap in the later rounds if they are considered not as adept at pass-pro. Maybe we get a David Bakhtiari who could be had later too? Our first two picks need to be IMPACT players and OTs are never in that category. Impact players are OLBs, CBs WRs, TEs and QBs. The reality is their are only one or two LTs in this draft (that are obvious) while most are most suited for RT or even possible candidates to move inside. Chuks isn't great and neither is Moore but neither are bad. Just imagine what cap hell we'd be in if they were studs!

The best IMPACT player we can get early is one that fills our weakest position(s) which I believe is at OLB (if Highsmith is presumed gone after this season), ILB/SS and perhaps CB if a shut-down corner is available. How many shut-down corners are in this draft? My guess is maybe 1 that is known and one that will appear later in the draft by pure luck.