• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Aditi Says Butler Has Not Designed or Called a Defense

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't she a few years late on this "breaking story"? Many have been saying this since Butler took over. Tomlin has been calling the D the entire time.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Seems this defense has been on the books for a long, long time. It gets tweaked, added to, adjusted. Certain things are emphasized, others reduced, based on who the DC is, or what the flavor of the month is. Butler was the LB coach, coached for years in this same system. When Tomlin came in, he kept LeBeau & this system in place, just tweaked it a little, but it's always been basically the same. It has roots with Dom Capers, then LeBeau put a huge imprint on it. I doubt Butler changed much of anything, frankly. And yeah, I imagine Tomlin calls most of the D and has for years. Butler and the other coaches are field generals and lieutenants.
This is my opinion and is clearly based in memory which is sometimes colored by the way we wanted things to be. But in my opinion this defense is nothing like it was when Lebeau was DC. To me this defense is based on covering the back end and letting four or five guys hunt. Trying to stop the big play. Lebeau was bring people up to the line create confusion and force the ball out of his hand before he wants too. This defense is what Tomlin wanted. Lebeau is rolling over in his grave and he isn't even dead yet.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
This is my opinion and is clearly based in memory which is sometimes colored by the way we wanted things to be. But in my opinion this defense is nothing like it was when Lebeau was DC. To me this defense is based on covering the back end and letting four or five guys hunt. Trying to stop the big play. Lebeau was bring people up to the line create confusion and force the ball out of his hand before he wants too. This defense is what Tomlin wanted. Lebeau is rolling over in his grave and he isn't even dead yet.

I agree, but I think it's been the same basic defense all these years. The difference is the manner in which it is called, what is emphasized and what is not. It's like taking a restaurant menu and ordering a steak or the flaming hot chicken wings, or something vanilla & light from the kid's section. We've increasingly steered clear of the red meat and have been ordering the fluffy stuff.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems this defense has been on the books for a long, long time. It gets tweaked, added to, adjusted. Certain things are emphasized, others reduced, based on who the DC is, or what the flavor of the month is. Butler was the LB coach, coached for years in this same system. When Tomlin came in, he kept LeBeau & this system in place, just tweaked it a little, but it's always been basically the same. It has roots with Dom Capers, then LeBeau put a huge imprint on it. I doubt Butler changed much of anything, frankly. And yeah, I imagine Tomlin calls most of the D and has for years. Butler and the other coaches are field generals and lieutenants.
Well the 3-4 relies on speed and exotic looks from the 4 linebackers. The 3 linemen are meant to create a wall of containment and pressure and if opportunistic a sack. The 3-4 always looks a lot better when your NT can demand double teams like Joel Steed or Casey Hampton. It just makes the defensive ends containing a lot easier which results in the linebackkers being able to carry out the crazy blitzes.

The issue with Tomlin is he’s drafting players who are speedy but lacking aggression in the trenches. His defensive line is not a 3-4 line unless he can get a true NT. Cam Heyward is a smart guy, but is having to deal with a lot to make something happen.

So whether it’s Tomlin or Butler. The system is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole or however that saying goes

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Nothing would surprise me under this head coach. The only blame taker is Ben, Ben is hundred years old, Ben can't throw, Ben this Ben that.. The main reason is a head coach that put us in this position. Not one part of the Steelers has improved. Bright spots a Te and Running back thats gives their all. Just hard to believe ownership is OK with this.. Watch our sidelines you have no idea who is a coach, player not dressed, water boy or doctor. Only Tomlin and his shades and big cross. Cannot wait to see the changes Tomin says is coming. Maybe the best thing he is under the covid not allowed to show up forum

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well the 3-4 relies on speed and exotic looks from the 4 linebackers. The 3 linemen are meant to create a wall of containment and pressure and if opportunistic a sack. The 3-4 always looks a lot better when your NT can demand double teams like Joel Steed or Casey Hampton. It just makes the defensive ends containing a lot easier which results in the linebackkers being able to carry out the crazy blitzes.

The issue with Tomlin is he’s drafting players who are speedy but lacking aggression in the trenches. His defensive line is not a 3-4 line unless he can get a true NT. Cam Heyward is a smart guy, but is having to deal with a lot to make something happen.

So whether it’s Tomlin or Butler. The system is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole or however that saying goes
I think this is quite money here. I mean first of all is this really a 3-4 anymore. The premise of the 3-4 is that you have three huge bodies at DL. Then 4 strong but lighter/faster linebackers so that it is hard to determine where the pressure comes from. BUT without a dedicated Nose what is this. It's 4 dline Watt, Highsmith, Heyward and whoever. Two linebackers. Well one and a half in the case of Bush there is zero deception. It's a four man rush with the possibility of one inside linebacker or a nickle but they are all clearly lined up. I realize the game has evolved and the true 3-4 nose (Hampton/Steed)has devalued because of substitution/ situational football. But I have a very hard time calling this a 3-4.

Reactions: MTC

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I believe butler is a good D coordinator who is being told what to do.
Butler wasnt here under dick lebeau running things poorly.
Butler is / was highly sought after before Lebeau left.
Could be some partial truth...
I dont see Tomlin Running the D with a head set etc.
I think he has great input on the situational Defense they play,,

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Maybe it's a square hole in a round peg................................ LoL

You have a very valid point. Our "D" has gotten soft due to the players Tomlin brings in and the way the "D" is called. ADD in the lackidazical practices and WhoAla you have the standard.

Salute the nation

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
This has been a rumor for a long time… this isn’t new… well not completely new… the old rumor was they moved lebeau out to promote butler before he left for another job, but that Tomlin designed the defense and Butler called it at first then tomlin took over..

For several years the rumor is that Tomlin is calling the D
After the Jaguars flame out in the playoffs, Jim Wexell wrote “Tomlin will not fire Butler, because he would be firing himself.”

I thought this was really old news LOL.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
After the Jaguars flame out in the playoffs, Jim Wexell wrote “Tomlin will not fire Butler, because he would be firing himself.”

I thought this was really old news LOL.

I remember that as well and thought finally, Wexell has something good to say.

Salute the nation

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Whoever is running the defense is allowing Bush to get away with his BS.

Who dies that sound like?

Who lied to Troy?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have 6 games remaining. Big changes aren't coming this year. We have too many injuries and ****** players to make any changes that will make a difference. So, sit back, drink a few beers or a case, and watch this fiasco unwind. Hopefully, we can sneak inside the top ten picks.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Idk who lied to troy..

But Butler played ILB in Seattle. Hes the former linebackers coach and now "the defensive coordinator". Last week he calls out bush on his effort. Then Starts him again. Then Bush has an even poorer game with little effort. This isnt butlers call.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
...and WhoAla ...
and voila

(and if you really want to be slave to the actual, correct form it's "et voila")

I don't do this to be a dick, but to be a friend.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Whoever is running the defense is allowing Bush to get away with his BS.

Who dies that sound like?

Who lied to Troy?
And James Harrison?

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe tomlin has his hands in design but this is Butler’s defense and on Sunday he is calling the plays, pure and simple, “dialing” up this or that during game time. something has to give this off season this defense is “gamed” and more #1 and #2 draft picks is not going to fix things. the teams in our division run the ball and do so very well and of course they pass the ball well having 3 of the best young qb’s in football, 2 of them first overall draft picks and in Lamar Jackson a true superstar, so problems in this division are not going away. So we need to rethink things in Pittsburgh.. the real question is… can this staff do that… as usual our secondary is in shambles, line backing is poor and the defensive line horrible… you take Heyward, Watt, Fritz out of the mix and we are really horrible. Schobert is making all the tackles but they are 6 yards downfield and he was only a last second addition imagine not picking him up what a disaster we’d have on defense. As a team and a fan base we are going into the wilderness of a rebuild.. I just don’t have any confidence in those doing the rebuild. Think about it, if they were worth a **** we wouldn’t be rebuilding! Go Steelers!

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
and voila

(and if you really want to be slave to the actual, correct form it's "et voila")

I don't do this to be a dick, but to be a friend.

wig, relax........... have a homebrew.!!

I'm in AMerica and will continue to use my O'l west version of stopping my horse.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure ends up working at the local Circle K either way. But, yeah, the rumors of Tomlin running the defense vs Butler have been strong since Butler took the job.
If they ever make a Muppet movie using real people, Butler is in.