• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Adrian Amos

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you draftniks or PSU fans/alums know much about this S/CB? I read that he had an excellent 40 at his Pro Day (4.37) and has been decently productive while at PSU. Would you use a pick on the kid? What round?

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
he was arguably the best DB in a secondary that wasn't great.

he could play on Sunday's, but I don't see star potential...might be a good 4th CB or good ST'er.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
He did run a 4.3 at 218 lbs. i'd love to have him. He started at CB as a freshman, then later was moved to S because of depth issues. He is not a big hitter, but he's a good tackler. He can play nickel CB or be a FS. Lots of upside.

Amos had 4 different defensive coordinators while at PSU. That hurt his development. Despite that, he generally reads plays quickly and challenges the catch. I forget the exact stat. I read it somewhere, but while playing nickel CB, opposing WRs had either a really small yard per catch or a really small % of receptions. Like is said, i forget the exact stat, but the point was he was very effective playing inside.

I really think he can be a ballhawk free safety if he finally gets to stay at 1 position. He returned kicks as a freshman so that adds to his versatility as well.

ark steel

Reaction score
He did run a 4.3 at 218 lbs. i'd love to have him. He started at CB as a freshman, then later was moved to S because of depth issues. He is not a big hitter, but he's a good tackler. He can play nickel CB or be a FS. Lots of upside.

Amos had 4 different defensive coordinators while at PSU. That hurt his development. Despite that, he generally reads plays quickly and challenges the catch. I forget the exact stat. I read it somewhere, but while playing nickel CB, opposing WRs had either a really small yard per catch or a really small % of receptions. Like is said, i forget the exact stat, but the point was he was very effective playing inside.

I really think he can be a ballhawk free safety if he finally gets to stay at 1 position. He returned kicks as a freshman so that adds to his versatility as well.

I'm sold!!!!!!

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
he's not pick of the litter but i wouldn't be upset if we took him with a later rd. pick.

they put him on the other teams best WR sometimes...sometimes he did ok, sometimes he didn't.

I dunno about that 4.37....the 4.5 is prolly more legit.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
he's not pick of the litter but i wouldn't be upset if we took him with a later rd. pick.

they put him on the other teams best WR sometimes...sometimes he did ok, sometimes he didn't.

I dunno about that 4.37....the 4.5 is prolly more legit.

He ran. They timed. That's about as legit as you could get. But he himself said in his diary he's about a 4.4 guy. I wasn't suggesting taking him with the 1st round pick, but If he's there in the 4th, I'd hope they'd take a long hard look at drafting him. He's "projected" anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th.

jdell

Reaction score
He ran. They timed. That's about as legit as you could get. But he himself said in his diary he's about a 4.4 guy. I wasn't suggesting taking him with the 1st round pick, but If he's there in the 4th, I'd hope they'd take a long hard look at drafting him. He's "projected" anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th.

Only if it is done electronically would it be most accurate. Hand times are garbage. Ask any track coach. Does anyone know if it was hand time or electronic?

Wingman

Reaction score
He timed fast enough to play. He is six feet tall he played decent I see nothing wrong with drafting him, he sounds like he is better than what we lost as far as speed and height go. Playing several different spots in the secondary is good to. Shows there might be the chance for him to improve quite a bit as well. From what was posted he might be worth as much as a third rounder. We have picked first and second rounders that had less to offer.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Only if it is done electronically would it be most accurate. Hand times are garbage. Ask any track coach. Does anyone know if it was hand time or electronic?

Hand time???? LOL

I think the kid is 4th or later, but would take him as early as third, pending who is on the board

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't hand time start around puberty?

Ayep. That special time in a young man's life when its time to get acquainted with mother thumb and her four daughters

tdub88

Reaction score

My hand time is amazing. Well, depending on how you look at it...........

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He's definitely worth a 4th or later. He was one of the better athletes on the defense as a freshman, was constantly changing systems, but was still productive. I want him in Pittsburgh as a FS

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
He's definitely worth a 4th or later. He was one of the better athletes on the defense as a freshman, was constantly changing systems, but was still productive. I want him in Pittsburgh as a FS

Sadly unfortunate that they don't often draft the players that we are familiar with and want to see in the B&G. My Buckeye of choice to don the colors this year is TE Jeff Heuerman. Has a lot of "Heath-like qualities".

That said, the more I read about Amos, the more I like.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Probably hand timed. At pro days, the scouts usually do their own times. It doesn't matter if it is exactly accurate. What matters is it confirms he's fast. One of the fastest safety prospects in this draft. He ran 4.49 at the combine and that is electronic. So this time just backs that up even more.

Add in that he had the fastest 20 yd shuttle of any Safety prospect at the combine. He had 21 reps on the bench.

This safety class is really thin. I think these workout numbers could push Amos into round 2. He has good film and teams will lover his versatility.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You know, Tomlin recently commented that Mitchell could move to SS. But, the only coaches at the PSU Pro Day were Haley and Munch. I'm sure they had scouts there but you'd think if they were looking at defensive players somebody on that side of the ball would be there. Does PSU fall in that "visits don't count" are for the Steelers?

Wingman

Reaction score
You know, Tomlin recently commented that Mitchell could move to SS. But, the only coaches at the PSU Pro Day were Haley and Munch. I'm sure they had scouts there but you'd think if they were looking at defensive players somebody on that side of the ball would be there. Does PSU fall in that "visits don't count" are for the Steelers?
not sure if it has changed but local schools did not count as visits some time ago and Penn state was a local school then as was pitt and others.