• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alejandro Villanueva comments on leaving Steelers, joining Ravens

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Alejandro Villanueva was a stalwart at LT for the Pittsburgh Steelers since taking over for an injured Kelvin Beachum in Week 7 of the 2015 season. Villanueva started 97 consecutive games, including playoffs, never missing a game through the rest of his Steelers run, and becoming one of only four Steelers OTs (and the only LT) to earn multiple Pro Bowl honors as a Steeler:

• Franck Varrichione: 4x – 1955, 1957, 1958, 1960
  • Charlie Bradshaw: 2x – 1963, 1964
  • Tunch Ilkin: 2x – 1988, 1989
  • Alejandro Villanueva: 2x – 2017, 2018

The Steelers informed Villanueva that they would not pursue resigning him, as they are moving towards more youth on the offensive line, and Villanueva will be 33 in September. On Tuesday, the Baltimore Ravens signed Villanueva to a two-year deal to find a short-term replacement for Orlando Brown, who was traded to Kansas City Chiefs and was likely to depart in free agency as the Ravens have a top LT in Ronnie Stanley locked up in a long-term deal.

At his introductory news conference, Villanueva acknowledged that he didn’t have many options in free agency (reportedly Miami Dolphins and Indianapolis Colts were interested) and listed playing the Steelers twice was an additional incentive.

Villanueva made a few other remarks that were very easily misleading including, “It’s better for offensive linemen to play for a run-first team like the Ravens” and it did not take long for Twitter to distort his comments. One does not have to go very far, as Steelers guard Kevin Dotson shared the same sentiment during SteelerNation draft coverage (and one that most offensive linemen would agree with) about favoring run blocking.

It’s worth noting that this press conference was conducted by the Baltimore Ravens media and many of the questions asked did not attempt to disguise the nature of how loaded the questions were, such as “Do you feel the Steelers gave up on you after giving everything you could?” and multiple questions that dug into transitioning from primarily pass blocking vs. run blocking including: “How about psychologically, you’re going from the team that ran less than all but one team to the team that runs the ball more, what is the mindset of an offensive lineman when he gets to push forward and #2, I’ve been asked to ask you who will you carpool with next year?

Disclosure: As a recommendation, don’t feed trolls by clicking on these tweets. Your SteelerNation staff suffers this for you so you don’t have to.

In his first comments since signing with Ravens, Alejandro Villanueva said he's looking forward to playing the Steelers and threw some shade at JuJu Smith-Schusterhttps://t.co/0jEENhxm74

— Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) May 5, 2021

Longtime #Steelers LT Al Villanueva doesn't even need to put his new #Ravens uniform on to show he has the necessary trash-talking down. Asked about losing his longtime commuting buddy, G David DeCastro, he says, "I'm sure Kevin Zeitler will be an upgrade."

— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) May 5, 2021

Upon listening to the full press-conference, it was clear that these tweets were 100% clickbait.

Aditi Kinkhabwala could not even ask the question without the preface of saying that “she was asked to ask” about a commuting buddy, and the “upgrade” of Kevin Zeitler from David DeCastro had nothing to do with the player on the field, but 100% in jest and purely about commuting.

The Jamison Hensley tweet including “throwing shade on JuJu Smith-Schuster” was completely inferred as Villanueva never even mentioned Smith-Schuster. The comment about Tik-Tok was barely four seconds long and in reference to playing a more balanced offense. The irony inherent is that the Ravens don’t exactly implement a balanced offense – as the diatribe of questions early on were keen to point out.

These tweets ignored the very humble way Villanueva described his transition from the military into civilian life and the hard work put into becoming a quality lineman. Also insightful was Villanueva describing the Steelers practice structure primarily based on the offensive line dedicating a lot more time to pass protection (in particular preparing for Myles Garrett) as it was far more difficult and less time in practice focused on run blocking.

Curiously, the two-year contract was a $14M deal with $8M guaranteed, which was more in both APY and guaranteed money than the Steelers extended him in 2017 when he was 29.

As distasteful as it is to see the 4th 2x Pro-Bowler with the Steelers join the Ravens, Villanueva was nothing but a class act while wearing the black and gold and we will wish him the best in his future, especially after his time with the Ravens ends.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Jamison Hensley. I remember when ESPN.com tried to have one writer covering each division; Hensley was the writer for the AFC North. His articles were so biased towards Ravens coverage. He had to put a Ravens blurb into every article he wrote. Including the ones about the other teams in the division. I emailed the ***** and bitched about it. Their response was that 'of course his coverage would be a little Ravens slanted" because "He lives in Baltimore and covers the Ravens daily." **** Jamison Hensley!

troymania

Reaction score
Would you expect anything different from Baltiwhore?

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Would you expect anything different from Baltiwhore?
Aditi "just for" Kickmeupthebuma and her stupid *** tweet then tried to back track as if she didn't already know she was leading with Bullshit.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He did take a pretty solid swipe at DeCastro. "I'm sure Kevin Zeitler will be an upgrade"

Joe

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Big Al is going to do better in a Ravens uni than most people believe he will...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Big Al is going to do better in a Ravens uni than most people believe he will...
I think he'll be fine on the left, but I think he will also be trash when they try to put him at RT. For a WR in college that left football to serve, then to come back as a DL and have us turn him into a LT. He's never been a swing tackle, and he's never played on the right. This is going to be difficult to try and teach this old dog new tricks.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
0 - stock in anything baltiwhore.

Big Al was class when here and I'm sure he is still class now that he is not. A media interview can be slanted heavily and answers taken out of text imeadiately as they are spoken.

It's the off-season and media ****** are looking for click-bait coverage.

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
You know what, who gives a damn what so called sports writers say. They’re all full of ****.
As for Big Al, he got his feelings hurt because they didn’t want him back, that’s all this is. He got his pride hurt and now he’s a rat.
All I’ll say is thanks Big Al for your time here but buckle the **** up mf’er and let’s see what happens.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also insightful was Villanueva describing the Steelers practice structure primarily based on the offensive line dedicating a lot more time to pass protection (in particular preparing for Myles Garrett) as it was far more difficult and less time in practice focused on run blocking.
If that's true... fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank god Fichtner and the Oline coach are gone. Major addition by subtraction.

TOTALLY TRUE

Fitchner caused crappy offense for every year he was here. Tomlin's buddy should have been terminated a year earlier at least.

EDIT: When Munch gave his "exit" interview he said Serrett was ready and fully capable. I believed Munch initially but soon realized Munch was just giving non-burn b ridges speak.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing is true is Steelers told Al he wasn't coming back shortly after the season ended. Per Al himself in his rat presser. So those reports about him possibility coming back seems to be just media driven crap.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I live on the outskirts of Baltimore. I have to listen to Raven **** alot. To me Al is starting to sound like a jilted ex.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Kudos to Al for his play with the Stillers. Now that he's a Ratbird, I think he'll have his hands full now with Watt or even Highsmith, no matter what side he lines up on.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Dude said nothing—it’s the ******** in Baltimore stirring up **** cuz media is a joke anymore

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
For ***** sake, media can’t stop reporting on a story about Rodgers that Shefter admitted he had no sources and “just happened” to “report” it the day of draft. Media is useless

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For ***** sake, media can’t stop reporting on a story about Rodgers that Shefter admitted he had no sources and “just happened” to “report” it the day of draft. Media is useless

Unless you are a clicker

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Also insightful was Villanueva describing the Steelers practice structure primarily based on the offensive line dedicating a lot more time to pass protection (in particular preparing for Myles Garrett) as it was far more difficult and less time in practice focused on run blocking.
I think he was pretty clearly joking around for most of the interview, but this falls in line with what I believed and what many former lineman have said. Run blocking is more than just going out there and doing it, it is a mindset and one that starts with practicing it. The Steelers admitted they didn't practice the deep passing game much last year and it was evident they didn't practice run blocking either. The personnel may be limited, but the coaches did not put the team in position to succeed by ignoring the ground game. This is a problem has happened over and over again with Tomlin.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I checked out the story on a small YouTube page that reported on it & even took ownership for putting out a misleading video on a bs story

That is NEWS in itself, a news outlet taking ownership of misleading the story.

FSF, you know as well as I that these "news & talking head" guys are all about click bait as we see it quite often and NOT just with our STEELERS. It's a sad time for relying on public news. One has to decipher what is / could be true.

Salute the nation