• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alex Highsmith....................... invisible & INVINCIBLE

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to believe many here feel he is a product of TJ WATT.

4th in the nfl in sacks
2nd in the nfl in FF
Able to solidly seal his edge in the run game
Produced quite well in TJ absense.

I see Alex as a rising start and very good at his job. He has become disruptive on a FASTER pace than Bud Durpee (intentional spelling for the O'l board members who can remeber).

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
He had 3,5 sacks in 7 games without TJ Watt, also 22 tackles and 1 forced fumble.

With Watt he has 14 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in just two games.

His stats clearly multiply with an all pro in the other side but even then he has to win against his assignment and he is thriving. Hopefully those 7 games help to fully evaluate his value and find a middle of the road contract between a starter and an all pro

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Highsmith would have been a guy under the old system who would have been signed to a bridge contract in the off-season… stupid new system will mean we likely have to lose him instead… can’t pay everyone… maybe he takes a lesser contract because he realizes that this system is a great fit, but even then we probably don’t have the space to give him a moderately underpaid market value deal… especially if wj3’s contract isn’t reworked

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Highsmith would have been a guy under the old system who would have been signed to a bridge contract in the off-season… stupid new system will mean we likely have to lose him instead… can’t pay everyone… maybe he takes a lesser contract because he realizes that this system is a great fit, but even then we probably don’t have the space to give him a moderately underpaid market value deal… especially if wj3’s contract isn’t reworked
Wj3 shouldnt be in any conversation, I rather sign Highsmith a 100 times before even thinking in a 31 years old cb coming from back injury that hasn't played in 2 years asking for 9M a year

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
In two of the games with out Watt I think he had a total of one tackles as a stat line. Yep .....pay the man.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Based on trends, a #2 starter at edge is going to bank around 10 million in this market… maybe 8 with a hometown discount but probably higher than ten on the open market in two years … he might be a twelve million dollar guy..

I don't evben know if there is such a thing as a "Hometown Disount" anymore unless you are t*mmyb*y and the team is subsidizing you under the table.

Did TJ WATT give a discount? Sure he settled to get the ontract signed but it was still the riches contract in defensive history.

How about Bud Dupree, paid him to heal and yet still left for the MONEY (can't blame him)

I'm just aying these guys ONLYhave a limited time for the contract money and I think the GREED of the NFL has swallowed the players as well.

If he is elgible for a 5th year, take it. If not then lock him up early.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Which would you prefer in their prime?

Watt and Highsmith or Deebo and Woodley.

WhoAly **** that's a tough one. You've got the all time best (Deebo) and the Potential to upseat him (Watt).

I'd sure as hell like to take WATT and HARRISON but I hear yaz.

I'd have to take TJ and Highsmith.

Woodley's prime didn't last long and I'm gambling Highsmith re-signs here.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Deebo and Woodley.

Harrison was the baddest man in the NFL in his prime and Woodley was an excellent pass rusher as well. Plus, they showed up in the playoffs. Harrison had 11 sacks in 18 playoff games and Woodley had 11 sacks in 8 playoff games, absolutely insane!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't evben know if there is such a thing as a "Hometown Disount" anymore unless you are t*mmyb*y and the team is subsidizing you under the table.

Did TJ WATT give a discount? Sure he settled to get the ontract signed but it was still the riches contract in defensive history.

How about Bud Dupree, paid him to heal and yet still left for the MONEY (can't blame him)

I'm just aying these guys ONLYhave a limited time for the contract money and I think the GREED of the NFL has swallowed the players as well.

If he is elgible for a 5th year, take it. If not then lock him up early.

Salute the nation
Spot on.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

I remember an old T-shirt that said something like "guns don't kill people, Lamar Woodley kills people".
And I have a 56 jersey.....
And I know that Woodley kills people only when Deebo played and got doubled. This was easily demonstrated by Woodley's numbers when he took the FA money and left.

It seems similar with Watt and Highsmith. I really hope that 56 can develop into that bookend OLB to pair with Watt, but so far he is very similar to Woodley: the clear beneficiary of all the attention given to the game-wrecker on the other end.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember an old T-shirt that said something like "guns don't kill people, Lamar Woodley kills people".
And I have a 56 jersey.....
And I know that Woodley kills people only when Deebo played and got doubled. This was easily demonstrated by Woodley's numbers when he took the FA money and left.

It seems similar with Watt and Highsmith. I really hope that 56 can develop into that bookend OLB to pair with Watt, but so far he is very similar to Woodley: the clear beneficiary of all the attention given to the game-wrecker on the other end.
Woodley never was an overachiever, the guy ate himself out of the NFL after his big contract.

On the other hand Highsmith was a college walk on, the kid has always played with a chip on his shoulder and probably kept hearing that he didn't belong, in fact getting picked in the 3rd round was called a reach by some as he wasn't in the top tier of OLBs in the draft. Kudos to the FO and scouts for getting that hidden gem.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Woodley never was an overachiever, the guy ate himself out of the NFL after his big contract.

On the other hand Highsmith was a college walk on, the kid has always played with a chip on his shoulder and probably kept hearing that he didn't belong, in fact getting picked in the 3rd round was called a reach by some as he wasn't in the top tier of OLBs in the draft. Kudos to the FO and scouts for getting that hidden gem.
Perhaps not but he achieved well if not overly. Very similar pairs in a lot of ways. Wood had his size, Harrison his brute strength, Watt his heavy hands and work ethic, and Highsmith the typical blue collar type.

I love that LB Steeler tradition, two are carrying it on well and I would like to think we haven't seen the present pairs best.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
WhoAly **** that's a tough one. You've got the all time best (Deebo) and the Potential to upseat him (Watt).

I'd sure as hell like to take WATT and HARRISON but I hear yaz.

I'd have to take TJ and Highsmith.

Woodley's prime didn't last long and I'm gambling Highsmith re-signs here.

Salute the nation
If it’s a playoff game it’s hard to not give Woodley the nod, dude had a short prime but was clutch in big games

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If it’s a playoff game it’s hard to not give Woodley the nod, dude had a short prime but was clutch in big games

I hear yaz but also realize that Highsmith has had little opportunity to even play in a play-off game yet alone two in one season. I hear yaz loud and clear and I was just basing my pick on Highsmith haveing a longer prime, sort of a gambler's choice.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I hear yaz but also realize that Highsmith has had little opportunity to even play in a play-off game yet alone two in one season. I hear yaz loud and clear and I was just basing my pick on Highsmith haveing a longer prime, sort of a gambler's choice.

Salute the nation
I don’t think the question is about longevity, instead which pair do you take in their prime. All things being equal, Harrison/Woolley is better overall talent and production.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think the question is about longevity, instead which pair do you take in their prime. All things being equal, Harrison/Woolley is better overall talent and production.
Interesting where do you grade out Watt in the OLBer pecking order all time?

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Woodley set a record with 6 sacks in 3 playoff games in 2008. But, yeah, ate himself out of the league. I'd go with TJ and Alex.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly I was very pleased with Alex during TJ's absence given the **** show around him. He still produced in most games albeit not to the same level as with TJ but that was going to be the case no matter who it was. Had the offense played better and given them leads he would be the league leader in sacks. Playing close games or from behind is not going to generate the same kinds of opportunities particularly without a threat on the other side. I think he will be a perennial pro bowl contender. If we can keep him.