• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alex Highsmith: “This year was a year I definitely grew.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2021, the team faced a lot of adversity in almost every aspect. As Steelers fans, this is something we’ve grown used to and expect going into every season. But with that said, this adversity opens doors for any player who sees an uptick in play-time as a result, no matter their age or depth chart position. Alex Highsmith was no stranger to that and took a major leap forward in his second season in the NFL, especially when called upon in big moments.

Highsmith was drafted by the Steelers in the 3rd round in the 2020 NFL Draft with intentions of him being the Bud Dupree-replacement at outside linebacker. After seeing what opposite outside linebacker TJ Watt can do with an effective pass rusher on the other side of the line, the Steelers sought out Highsmith to be that true “day one starter” and he was exactly that. In 2020, Highsmith posted a modest stat line consisting of an interception, 2 sacks, and 48 total tackles. In the off-season leading up to the 2021 campaign, Highsmith made a conscious effort in building on his rookie year and making a larger impact on defense. This included intense workout regimens in Cornelius, North Carolina and coming into his second training camp in peak physical condition. As we saw in 2021, this definitely showed on the field. Highsmith proved no signs of a “sophomore-slump” and posted an impressive stat line of 6 sacks, a forced fumble, 74 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 15 hits on opposing quarterbacks. For reference, Highsmith posted more sacks than Buffalo Bills’ big defensive tackle Ed Oliver, giant nose tackle for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Vita Vea, and 6-time Pro Bowl Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive tackle Fletcher Cox. Looking back on this season, how does Highsmith think he performed? Well, he explained:

“This year was a year I definitely grew. It’s not the year that I wanted to have, I know I can always do better, no matter how good I do, I know that I can always do better but overall from just a mental standpoint and physical standpoint, I feel like I grew a lot this year and with this being my first starting year and a starting role I feel like I did take a jump, but at the same time I want to take even a bigger jump coming into year 3 and I know I can be a lot better than I was, so I’m excited for the offseason ahead and just working to be the best that I can be in year 3.”

It shouldn’t come as a shock to hear Highsmith emphasize continued improvement year-over-year as he looks towards his third season. Highsmith entered the 2021 season with a goal of double-digit sacks; that didn’t happen. So, what goals is Highsmith setting for 2022 and what steps are going to get him there? He explained:

“I think I’ll have some of the same goals as I did this year. For me, its just really working on finishing, my coaches really emphasized to me finishing at the top of my rushes. There were so many plays and so many rushes where I was right by the quarterback, but just didn’t finish, whether he stepped up or an offensive lineman was still on me, so just really working on things like that, to help me finish my rushes, to be able to reach that double-digit sack point is going to be an emphasis for me and my training this year.”

As far as the steps he is taking this off-season to achieve those goals, Highsmith talked some about his plans leading up to training camp:

“I’m going to be in Charlotte (North Carolina) for the majority of my training this off-season, so I’ve got a good training regimen down there, good trainer, just getting in a good flow down there. Last year I feel like I had my best off-season and I feel like I came into camp in great shape, the best shape of my life, so I think that’s going to be a home base for me in the off-season,” he said. “I’m going to try to get in some work with TJ some time over the off-season as well and with some other pass rushers as well.”

Of course when you think of the current Steelers’ defense, one of the first names you think of is Watt; and rightfully so. Watt is coming off another historic and “DPOY-esque” season. Fans see what Watt brings to the field each week, but what about to the locker room and the weekly game preparation? Highsmith talked a bit about what he’s learned from Watt in how to prepare for opposing offenses:

“Something I’ve always learned from him is watching the live TV copies before games to get the cadence for the opposing teams, so that’s something I did a lot this year. We would always talk about it in meetings, talk about the different cadence, talk about what’s the hard count, talk about what’s on who, so that’s something that helped me a lot, especially with away games this year, to be able to work on my get-off, to be able to get off the ball faster, so I definitely felt the translation for it, as I would feel like I’m getting off the ball a lot faster than I was last year, so that’s something I look forward to continuing to improve on.”

Watt is a player who elevates the other players around him. As Highsmith makes the turn into his third season, there is no reason to believe he won’t come into 2022 ready to take that next step and elevate his production on defense. Highsmith was one of the most under-the-radar contributors to this year’s defense, and he’s going to continue making a name for himself next season. He’s going to be a player offenses game-prep for in 2022 and Steeler Nation has every reason to believe he’ll reach his double-digit sack total goal next season.

How do you think Highsmith did this season? What do you think his sack total will be in 2022? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I agree. He was solid and I think his ceiling is more. He looked unstoppable in pre season. He holds edge and they are getting way more pass run then Dupree at same stage. I don't think the drop off was huge from Bud's best year. Definitely a keeper.

skline00

Reaction score
Glad for Alex AND glad for the Steelers. I just hope we can keep him and TJ healthy in 2022/2023.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Highsmith definitely improved as the season went on. I think he will look very good opposite Watt next year. 10+ sacks are easily within reach for him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Highsmith is a pretty good against the run already. You'd still like more in terms of rushing the quarterback but he flashed. Next year could be a true breakout year, which makes sense for a guy with his pedigree at that position.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Highsmith, johnson, few others should be traded… the Steelers have to figure out if your not resigning a guy TRADE him… we draft guys that fall in draft, waste 3-4 years on them then only to get nothing back after they the price themselves off the team. Highsmith good example… comes from small school, was DE, we train him to play linebacker… he stinks for year 2 or 3 years but because he’s playing for the Steelers, and he’s playing opposite the best pass rusher in football, he pads his numbers but he ain’t all that he can’t set the edge and can’t stop the run to his side to save his life… he cant beat a legit LT, but he and his agent thinks he worth all this or that.. he ain’t and Steeler won’t sign him.. instead of spending a lot of money and time on him only watch him walk… trade him now! package up him and johnson, who’s not worth 1wr money, who‘s numbers were padded by Ben throwing at him, and trade up now, don’t just let these guys walk. Until the Steelers have a team capable of winning a Super Bowl everyone and no one should be safe… Art jr Rooney’s take“ we have work to do” should start right fukn there trade some these guys and rather than draft “prospects“ that cost more than they are returning back to the team in terms of value, get guys that contribute to winning Superbowls.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Highsmith, johnson, few others should be traded… the Steelers have to figure out if your not resigning a guy TRADE him… we draft guys that fall in draft, waste 3-4 years on them then only to get nothing back after they the price themselves off the team. Highsmith good example… comes from small school, was DE, we train him to play linebacker… he stinks for year 2 or 3 years but because he’s playing for the Steelers, and he’s playing opposite the best pass rusher in football, he pads his numbers but he ain’t all that he can’t set the edge and can’t stop the run to his side to save his life… he cant beat a legit LT, but he and his agent thinks he worth all this or that.. he ain’t and Steeler won’t sign him.. instead of spending a lot of money and time on him only watch him walk… trade him now! package up him and johnson, who’s not worth 1wr money, who‘s numbers were padded by Ben throwing at him, and trade up now, don’t just let these guys walk. Until the Steelers have a team capable of winning a Super Bowl everyone and no one should be safe… Art jr Rooney’s take“ we have work to do” should start right fukn there trade some these guys and rather than draft “prospects“ that cost more than they are returning back to the team in terms of value, get guys that contribute to winning Superbowls.
As it stands now entering UFA, the Steelers need a starter at QB, RG, RT, slot WR, CB1, CB2, and SS. There's a good chance they'll be without Tuitt and Schobert, so there are two more holes at DE and ILB, plus they need a starting center to replace Green. That's 10 of 22 starters that need to be replaced. Why in the world would you create more holes by trading a solid OLB and your best receiver heading into next year? You don't need stars at every position and can survive with middle class players. That's where guys like Highsmith and Johnson fall. Good players who won't command top dollar meaning the Steelers can start to build some roster depth again.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Get a quality NT and Highsmith will shine

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
As it stands now entering UFA, the Steelers need a starter at QB, RG, RT, slot WR, CB1, CB2, and SS. There's a good chance they'll be without Tuitt and Schobert, so there are two more holes at DE and ILB, plus they need a starting center to replace Green. That's 10 of 22 starters that need to be replaced. Why in the world would you create more holes by trading a solid OLB and your best receiver heading into next year? You don't need stars at every position and can survive with middle class players. That's where guys like Highsmith and Johnson fall. Good players who won't command top dollar meaning the Steelers can start to build some roster depth again.
They can tweak Schobert and that would be one less. With so many holes that would make sense. Unless there was a clear cut upgrade they want to bring in. But what would that cost? Isn't RayRay a UFA .That's three receivers that could be exiting stage left. I agree with you, as you usually align with my takes for the most part. Great minds think alike?😁 Many of things to solve it is damn good that they can free up money and add to a consider amount to spend. Making the right choices? That is an entirely different matter. I can't take stock on it. But hopefully they won't sit on any of the money like they just came off of. Their handle within approach is a little exhausting I must say. Need a coach hire within. Need a NT use what's available. Need a DE replacement use what's available. Need a Oline we can make do with rookies. Need a corner we can make do with what's available. Meanwhile there is more to spend with a rollover. I just hope that won't be a repeat performance this year. So far it looks like business as usual.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They can tweak Schobert and that would be one less. With so many holes that would make sense. Unless there was a clear cut upgrade they want to bring in. But what would that cost? Isn't RayRay a UFA .That's three receivers that could be exiting stage left. I agree with you, as you usually align with my takes for the most part. Great minds think alike?😁 Many of things to solve it is damn good that they can free up money and add to a consider amount to spend. Making the right choices? That is an entirely different matter. I can't take stock on it. But hopefully they won't sit on any of the money like they just came off of. Their handle within approach is a little exhausting I must say. Need a coach hire within. Need a NT use what's available. Need a DE replacement use what's available. Need a Oline we can make do with rookies. Need a corner we can make do with what's available. Meanwhile there is more to spend with a rollover. I just hope that won't be a repeat performance this year. So far it looks like business as usual.
They have a lot of money to spend and it’ll be interesting how they spend it. Do you try for a blockbuster player? I think an OL would be the safest bet. Do they try to sign a lot of mid-tier guys? Longer or shorter contracts? Sign guys who won’t affect the compensation formula?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They have a lot of money to spend and it’ll be interesting how they spend it. Do you try for a blockbuster player? I think an OL would be the safest bet. Do they try to sign a lot of mid-tier guys? Longer or shorter contracts? Sign guys who won’t affect the compensation formula?
It will be very interesting. I think Oline will be their priority and if I had to guess a middling QB. If they aren't aggressive out of the gates we can say ruh roh.