• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Allen? Dangerfield? Somebody else? Analyzing the Steelers' backup safety battle

Hunter Homistek

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, first off, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Hunter Homistek, and I work for DKPittsburghSports.com, where I handle social media and marketing but also report on the Steelers and Pirates. I kinda do a little bit of everything over there.

I've been fortunate to spend time at Steelers OTAs and minicamp, and I wanted to share my most recent piece, where I talked with four of the primary competitors for the backup safety position: Marcus Allen, Jordan Dangerfield, Kameron Kelly, and Dravon Askew-Henry. I wanted to know how they felt about the competition, what they think sets them apart, etc. For me, this is an interesting battle because of the importance of it first but also because it really feels like a tight cluster after Terrell Edmunds and Sean Davis.

Here's a link to read it — no subscription required.

I look forward to hearing your feedback and discussing this — or anything else! — further. Excited to join these forums and talk with you all throughout training camp and the season.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the desired route would be to bring in an experienced FS come cut-downs. Unless one of these mentioned comes through in training camp.

If someone does shine you would think they would keep Dangerfield as he is the only one with starters experience, even though that was brief.

If that is the thinking it is basically a bunch of people angling for the last spot..

Which would be Allen VS Kelly I would think...

Hunter Homistek

Sponsor
Reaction score
Agreed on Dangerfield leading the pack and Allen vs. Kelly being the next tier. An experienced vet is certainly not out of the question. I do wonder, however, if the flop there with Morgan Burnett last year gives them any pause on doing so.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
First of all, welcome Hunter!!! I enjoyed your article.

I've been 'watching' Kameron Kelly too and the kid is EXPLOSIVE. IMO, moreso than Davis; but, only time will tell.

Your analysis is spot on and I can't wait to read your opinions about the WR position battles...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Great breakdown Hunter. I did the podcast with DK last week and write on this site. I always liked Dangerfield, though what you see is what you get. Solid, not spectacular. More of a tackler than a playmaker. I think Allen may have a shot, he was making plays last preseason, so I'm looking forward to see if he can again make splash plays in game situations. I also like Kelly's size and potential. Thanks for introducing him to me!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Hunter, welcome to SN.

Are any of these guys real pure FS? I feel like there's no one behind Davis for that spot and it might cause Edmunds to move if Davis misses time, as Dangerfield and Allen are way more cut as SS, lacking the speed needed as the last line of Defense

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, first off, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Hunter Homistek, and I work for DKPittsburghSports.com, where I handle social media and marketing but also report on the Steelers and Pirates. I kinda do a little bit of everything over there.

I've been fortunate to spend time at Steelers OTAs and minicamp, and I wanted to share my most recent piece, where I talked with four of the primary competitors for the backup safety position: Marcus Allen, Jordan Dangerfield, Kameron Kelly, and Dravon Askew-Henry. I wanted to know how they felt about the competition, what they think sets them apart, etc. For me, this is an interesting battle because of the importance of it first but also because it really feels like a tight cluster after Terrell Edmunds and Sean Davis.

Here's a link to read it — no subscription required.

I look forward to hearing your feedback and discussing this — or anything else! — further. Excited to join these forums and talk with you all throughout training camp and the season.

Welcome Hunter. You do some great work at DK and will enjoy your input on the board. I know you’ve indicated Dangerfield, Allen and Kelly as backups candidates, but are Sutton and/or Hilton serious players as well?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hunter Homistek

Sponsor
Reaction score
Welcome Hunter. You do some great work at DK and will enjoy your input on the board. I know you’ve indicated Dangerfield, Allen and Kelly as backups candidates, but are Sutton and/or Hilton serious players as well?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hey, Ike! I appreciate the kind words, man. Hilton and Sutton are definitely in the mix. In fact, I expect Hilton and/or Sutton to consume one of the four/five safety spots they usually hold. Basically, the way Dale Lolley was explaining it to me, look for them to keep 10 DBs total. Hilton will be one of them regardless. Sutton will be one of them regardless. So you're really still looking at only four spots to fill (Davis, Edmunds, Haden and Nelson being obvious locks). If Justin Layne makes the final 53, which I expect, there's one more gone.

Now, that "10" is not a hard rule. Maybe they carry more this year. But he was telling me to kind of set me expectations there, which is helpful context I think.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Are any of these guys real pure FS? I feel like there's no one behind Davis for that spot and it might cause Edmunds to move if Davis misses time, as Dangerfield and Allen are way more cut as SS, lacking the speed needed as the last line of Defense

No they are in the box strong safety types.

Allen I think I’d too slow for coverage deployment on obvious passing downs.

Why the Steelers didn’t punk an upside safety on the later round is a good question to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hunter Homistek

Sponsor
Reaction score

As Coach said, no, not really. This is a huge storyline to watch throughout training camp. We'll be sure to let you know who's filling that role and who, if anyone, is surprising/standing out.

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score
Will a safety please stand up?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/06/which-steelers-safety-will-break-out-in-2019/

With a first and 2nd round pick invested at S, will one of these guys step up and be worthy of their draft spot?

Davis has had 3 years already, if he was any good we'd know it by now. That leaves Edmunds to star. He has to.

These guys sure don't remind anyone of Donnie Shell, Troy Polamalu, Lake, Clark, Darren Perry or Mike Wagner.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/06/which-steelers-safety-will-break-out-in-2019/

With a first and 2nd round pick invested at S, will one of these guys step up and be worthy of their draft spot?

Davis has had 3 years already, if he was any good we'd know it by now. That leaves Edmunds to star. He has to.

These guys sure don't remind anyone of Donnie Shell, Troy Polamalu, Lake, Clark, Darren Perry or Mike Wagner.
Davis has one year at his position, one. So no we don't know if he has topped out or not.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis has been decent. As I stated on other discussions on this topic, he has played 3 positions since he's been here. Last year was his 1st at his current position and he was decent - not great and not terrible. So, this is his year. Righting him off already is not logical, to say the least. If he plays well, he will be looking for a big contract from someone and it may not be the Steelers unless he will take a hometown discount. Edmunds wasn't supposed to start last year but had to due to injuries. He improved throughout the year and played well for a rookie. This year, I would expect him to take that big 2nd year step that is needed. Depth is the concern. Hopefully, Allen from Penn State or someone else can play well. I'd like to see Allen play well as he has the physical attributes that would be nice to have back there.

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score
Davis has been decent. As I stated on other discussions on this topic, he has played 3 positions since he's been here. Last year was his 1st at his current position and he was decent - not great and not terrible. So, this is his year. Righting him off already is not logical, to say the least. If he plays well, he will be looking for a big contract from someone and it may not be the Steelers unless he will take a hometown discount. Edmunds wasn't supposed to start last year but had to due to injuries. He improved throughout the year and played well for a rookie. This year, I would expect him to take that big 2nd year step that is needed. Depth is the concern. Hopefully, Allen from Penn State or someone else can play well. I'd like to see Allen play well as he has the physical attributes that would be nice to have back there.

So, why has SD played 3 different positions in 3 years? And did the same thing in MD. Sounds like a guy who never seems to play well in his positions so they have to move him around in order
to try to find a spot he is good at. I never liked the Burns or Davis picks....now I like them even less.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Here are my expectations of draft picks.
2nd round- low end bust or backup. High end important starter or star. Mid ground functional starter. Davis is a functional starter.
1st round- low end backup/ bust, High end star player. Mid ground important starter. Jury is out on Edmunds, but he started in his first season so I see him likely as a functional starter to important starter. The Steelers don't usually draft in the top ten of rounds remember.Sean Davis was the 58th pick. That is a glorified 3rd rounder. Edmunds was 28th and had 2nd-3rd round grades by a lot of sources. The Steelers liked some of his traits. I really don't feel like they are getting eaten up on the deep post/ seem pass like they did when it was Mitchell and Davis. I'm not that concerned about safety.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
So, why has SD played 3 different positions in 3 years? And did the same thing in MD. Sounds like a guy who never seems to play well in his positions so they have to move him around in order
to try to find a spot he is good at. I never liked the Burns or Davis picks....now I like them even less.

If you actually watched steeler games you would know the answer to your own ?

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score
Here are my expectations of draft picks.
2nd round- low end bust or backup. High end important starter or star. Mid ground functional starter. Davis is a functional starter.
1st round- low end backup/ bust, High end star player. Mid ground important starter. Jury is out on Edmunds, but he started in his first season so I see him likely as a functional starter to important starter. The Steelers don't usually draft in the top ten of rounds remember.Sean Davis was the 58th pick. That is a glorified 3rd rounder. Edmunds was 28th and had 2nd-3rd round grades by a lot of sources. The Steelers liked some of his traits. I really don't feel like they are getting eaten up on the deep post/ seem pass like they did when it was Mitchell and Davis. I'm not that concerned about safety.

I'm concerned we used a 1st AND 2nd round on S and we are still below average there. Both picks were considered reaches and I haven't seen anything to dispute it.