• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alualu and Tuitt

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
See, I get that PFF rated him higher than others in regards to his pass protection and the fact that he gave up so few sacks/hurries. Now, that raises a question: "What part, if any, did Ben's league leading release time play in Chuks sacks/hurries numbers?" Considering that Chuks routinely got his *** handed to him in the run game, I'd bet it was a big part.
And, I'm not a Chuks hater. I'm also not a Chuks believer. I do think he might be developing slower because of his late start playing football. That said, he still was below par for the position and I hope they bring in someone who can actually push him to improve.
That is all fair but Moore and Turner did not fair to well with that quick release... Moore gets a pass from me for being a rookie getting pushed into starting... I wish the Steelers would have went with a OT in FA or the draft as you said to push him.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, a quick Google search confirms my belief that I read that Tuitt has been in Pittsburgh, working out at the team facility, for over a month. So, what exactly is the deadline for? He's been putting in the work to come back. The only issue is what type of player will they be getting back?
The deadline and moaning about him not putting in the work, not being here or there, seems to be much ado about nothing.
Hopefully they will be getting back a very hungry and very angry Tuitt that is prepared to honor his loss by putting together one hell of a dominant season….at least we can hope

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt, as expected, wasn't at OTA's today. Apparently, Heyward and Alualu had words about him but the PG didn't say what those words were yet. I think Fittipaldo might write an article on it later today. Unless those words were he is training somewhere specific as Troy did at times, I don't want to hear another excuse even if these are voluntary. I'll give him today but if he doesn't show up this week and if the words from Heyward and Alualu aren't what I already noted, then I see absolutely no reason to not designate him a post-June 1 cut. He obviously wouldn't be showing the coaches or his teammates that he is committed to the team.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Later in Fittipaldo's chat, he said the Steelers are apparently giving Tuitt the benefit of the doubt and don't expect to see him until mandatory mini-camp. I don't think he should get any benefit of any doubt. The Steelers need to be dictating to him, not the other way around. They just gave him a year off with pay. If he truly doesn't show up until mini-camp and they allow that, he better be in season-ready shape and we better not hear about any pulled hammy's or groins.

Even later in his chat, he said Heyward expects Tuitt to play this year and he will show up "sooner or later". Sounds just like their comments last year. Tuitt needs to be on a very, very, very short leash.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
If nothing else, Tuitt doesn’t seem very concerned about appearances.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is what example are you giving to the young guys? If they let tuitt do whatever he wants the culture will be the same for the next generation. They know the front office will accept this lack of commitment and will collect a paycheck anyway

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just read Fittipaldo's article and it sounds like the same old same old from his teammates. Even they have no clue. The Steelers need to be driving this with Tuitt. He needs to meet milestones and prove himself. He must be in great shape and 100% full speed at the first mandatory date. He gets no more excuses.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Everyone faces personal losses in their life, everyone. If Tuitt can't move on after a year and do his job, he may never be able to.
I'm on board with the June 1st deadline for him.
And everyone reacts differently to those losses. I know a woman that is almost debilitated every year on birthday/deathday of her mother ten years ago.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
OTAs aren't mandatory. It's the time for hack writers and social media scum to run speculative reports. DJ won't be here and neither will Tuitt.

Put June 7th on your calendar because that is MANDATORY Minicamp.

If they don't show up for that, it's time to make alternative plans.

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
OTAs aren't mandatory. It's the time for hack writers and social media scum to run speculative reports. DJ won't be here and neither will Tuitt.

Put June 7th on your calendar because that is MANDATORY Minicamp.

If they don't show up for that, it's time to make alternative plans.
Show me something, where has he been working out? I want see it. Yes OTA is optional but he needed to make it a priority after the time missed.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
It's so difficult to say anything on the matter....really. I would just give him the opportunity at mandatory minicamp and if he's not there then thank him, wish him the best and then move forward with the cut. Nothing more to say.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mandatory or not, Tuitt has taken a year off with pay. He needs to show the Steelers and his teammates he is serious about playing. The Steelers should be in full control of making demands of him if he still wants to play. They stood by him last year and he should show something in return by showing up for OTA's as just about all of his teammates have. As I said above, if he doesn't show up, he has to be in the best shape of his life come mandatory mini-camp to prove he is truly ready and willing to play and not here just to get another year's pay. He gets no more benefit of the doubt.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Just listening to the Ramon Foster show on DK. According to Foster, Tuitt is on campus at Notre Dame finishing up his degree, and Notre Dame requires you to be on campus to get that degree. Also, according to DK, all of his stuff is at his locker.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Just listening to the Ramon Foster show on DK. According to Foster, Tuitt is on campus at Notre Dame finishing up his degree, and Notre Dame requires you to be on campus to get that degree. Also, according to DK, all of his stuff is at his locker.
What? Do you mean there's a reasonable explanation for his absence? No way. Off with his head!!

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
Well that's great and glad to see that but still stands that I hope he has been putting in the time to be ready to do his job...

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Time to move on…he got paid and the Steelers got played.

yes we all greave, but over a year with pay? Doesn’t sound like anyone knows where his head is at,

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm saying he needs to show up at the mandatory and be in great shape as well.

Getting your degree is important and I'm sure that is partly why he is getting a pass from the STEELERS organization.

I'm also guessing the STEELERS have talked to him and know what is what in regards to TUITT's mental / physical.

I' just hoping there is a plan B already in place so we can be PRO-active and not RE-active.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Time to move on…he got paid and the Steelers got played.

yes we all greave, but over a year with pay? Doesn’t sound like anyone knows where his head is at,
As has been pointed out it isn't just grieving it is the fact the driver who hit him hasn't been found.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Finishing his degree is nice and all but this means he probably hasn't been focusing on football and training hours a day as he needs to. He took a year off. He gets no excuses and no "oh that's nice". He must be in top shape when he shows up. End up with a groin or a hammy and he is a post-June 1 cut. He gets no lee-way whatsoever and as I've said, the Steelers should have made that perfectly clear to him the minute last season ended. Get your *** in gear and no excuses for anything.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Finishing his degree is nice and all but this means he probably hasn't been focusing on football and training hours a day as he needs to. He took a year off. He gets no excuses and no "oh that's nice". He must be in top shape when he shows up. End up with a groin or a hammy and he is a post-June 1 cut. He gets no lee-way whatsoever and as I've said, the Steelers should have made that perfectly clear to him the minute last season ended. Get your *** in gear and no excuses for anything.
So let me guess, you spend 14 hours a day, 365 days a year on your job to the exclusion of all of your other life goals?

These are human beings, not robots. Fortunately, the people in charge of the Steelers are also human beings.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So let me guess, you spend 14 hours a day, 365 days a year on your job to the exclusion of all of your other life goals?

These are human beings, not robots. Fortunately, the people in charge of the Steelers are also human beings.
No, but he is a highly paid person playing a game. That is his job and it is a year-round job nowadays. The Steelers were nice enough to give him a year off with pay. He needs to prove himself now. Nothing coming from the team, Heyward, or other teammates is any different than they said last year. They all said "they were confident he will be back or he will play", yet he did not. No one knows for sure when or if he will show up or if he'll be in top shape and ready to go full speed. He gets no free passes. He used them all up last year. Voluntary OTA's or not, there is no excuse for him to not be there and in top shape. The Steelers need to be dictating what he does right now, not him. If the Steelers allow him to show up and be fat and out of shape, shame on them. They did their good deed with him in spades last year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We are talking here about being in shape for the start of the season. Nothing more

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
We are talking here about being in shape for the start of the season. Nothing more
If he is working his *** off to be ready and not using training camp as his get in shape time then I'm good but I wish he would speak to the fan base maybe telling us about his progress and how he is ready... That would go a long way.