• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Another Championship Trophy in Steeler Land

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...surprise-visit-stanley-cup-final-day-minicamp

Steelers get surprise visit from Stanley Cup on final day of minicamp

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers got a championship surprise on the final day of minicamp.

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Nick Bonino carried the Stanley Cup onto the Steelers practice field after the Thursday session ended, prompting a rowdy response from players.

Bonino then took the Cup to greet coach Mike Tomlin, who studied the details of the trophy, smiled and said, "That's a beautiful thing."

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who's from Pittsburgh, said in the background, "That gives me chills."

Penguins forward Nick Bonino brought the Stanley Cup to the Steelers' minicamp on Thursday. Jeremy Fowler/ESPN
"That's Lord Stanley. That's a beautiful thing, isn't it?" Tomlin told the media a few minutes later. "A lot of respect for what they've gone through and accomplished. Really appreciate them showing a token of their appreciation of our support for bringing it over and allowing us to get a little glimpse of it. Hopefully we represent Pittsburgh and Western PA in a similar way in a few months."

On Sunday night, the Penguins won their fifth championship (1991-92, 2009, 2016-17) and 16th overall for the three major Pittsburgh sports teams. The Steelers have won six Super Bowls (1974-75, 1978-79, 2005, 08) and the Pittsburgh Pirates have five World Series titles (1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979).

Tomlin had seen the Cup before and added his job comes with a few "spoils." That didn't stop players and team officials from taking turns posing for pictures alongside the Cup.

"Not a lot of cities have that camaraderie or that type of leadership and great bond between teams," defensive end Cam Heyward said. "You see their guys at our games, we are at their games, we're all at baseball games. We appreciate what each other does."

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
mitchellheywardcup0615web.jpg

StanleyCup_061515_CP_1_0006.jpg

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Cam said that inspires them to get their own trophy! It's going to be our time again. I can feel it.

Reactions: MTC

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers were close last year. Seeing the team across town win another definitely has to be extra motivation. Just gotta stay healthy this time around.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO..

The Penguins have surpassed the Steelers as the best sports organization in the Burgh...

Although...all things considered. The Steeler Organization continues to be a top notch NFL franchise.

But what the Penguin management team has done with this franchise is absolutely amazing!

Just glad their both Pittsburgh sports franchises.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO..

The Penguins have surpassed the Steelers as the best sports organization in the Burgh...

Although...all things considered. The Steeler Organization continues to be a top notch NFL franchise.

But what the Penguin management team has done with this franchise is absolutely amazing!

Surpassed?

Viewers and championships say otherwise.

Don't let the here and now cloud the overall view.

Sure the Pens are hot right now, but Pittsburgh is still a drinking town with a football problem.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Surpassed?

Viewers and championships say otherwise.

Don't let the here and now cloud the overall view.

Sure the Pens are hot right now, but Pittsburgh is still a drinking town with a football problem.

Organizationally speaking, yes, they are at the top right now. Impossible to argue after back-to-back championships and three in 10 years.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO..

Both teams are historic. However football is king when it comes to American sports. Hockey has a cult following. It's an amazing sport. I'm impressed by the Pens organization and will always be a hockey first guy. But the Steelers are legendary. The Rooney's have built an iconic, traditional powerhouse. I'd like the Pens to follow that suit someday. I want for Sullivan and Rutherford to serve 10+ years in their current condition. That's where the Steelers get my respect is the ability to remain conisitent and not pull the plug.

Hockey is a different sport and coaches have been let go for the better. The ever changing trend. I'm hoping for the current tradition to continue with the Pens. I think the Pens have made the post season 11 straight seasons? Hockey is getting up there

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
NO question who is the dominant fan choice in this football town !!!!! It is NICE to have one of the other Pro-Sports team in the city do good. I think it motivates amongst the teams to do better. The Penguins have a long way to go to even be close to what the STEELERS have done over their tenure. Making the play offs 11 in a row isn't quite as big a feat as more than half the teams make the playoffs each year. NO disrespect for our PENGUINS as I love them dearly but the STEELERS are the big dogs and the rest are fill in.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
NO question who is the dominant fan choice in this football town !!!!! It is NICE to have one of the other Pro-Sports team in the city do good. I think it motivates amongst the teams to do better. The Penguins have a long way to go to even be close to what the STEELERS have done over their tenure. Making the play offs 11 in a row isn't quite as big a feat as more than half the teams make the playoffs each year. NO disrespect for our PENGUINS as I love them dearly but the STEELERS are the big dogs and the rest are fill in.

Salute the nation

I support both teams thick and thin. I love the passionate fan base displayed here on SN. In my eyes it's hard to debate which sports team is more popular. The Steelers are just that organization you think Rooney's, tradition, classy.

But the same can be said for the Pens. Mario is royalty. But again the Rooney's. Steelers no doubt.

I'm a hockey person first. So I slight more towards the Pens. But I do admit from a traditional point they have a bit to go to have a legacy like the Steelers. I will say this though. 5 cups compared to 6 lombardi's. The Pens are just one season away to catching up to their football counterparts.

Best of luck to both organizations. The race to 7 lol

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I support both teams thick and thin. I love the passionate fan base displayed here on SN. In my eyes it's hard to debate which sports team is more popular. The Steelers are just that organization you think Rooney's, tradition, classy.

But the same can be said for the Pens. Mario is royalty. But again the Rooney's. Steelers no doubt.

I'm a hockey person first. So I slight more towards the Pens. But I do admit from a traditional point they have a bit to go to have a legacy like the Steelers. I will say this though. 5 cups compared to 6 lombardi's. The Pens are just one season away to catching up to their football counterparts.

Best of luck to both organizations. The race to 7 lol

LOVE it !!!!!!!! Just for the record, I became a STEELERS fan in 1968. Been the ultimate since. I've also became an ANYTHING Pittsburgh, including Penguins / Pirates. The big three so to speak, just a few years later. Now I'm any and all PITTSBURGH, including the women's lingerie football team we had a few years ago. Pitt Panthers are a favorite too!!!.
.............I'll agree that the Pen's only have one more championship to match the Steelers but if you are purely looking at championships then you must also know it is easier to make hockey play offs than football playoffs, just saying. Out of curiosity, who has the most Stanley cups and how many is that ?? The Steelers have more than ANYBODY else in their respective sport. I am so happy for the Penguins and YES Mario was a SUPER HERO of mine too. I respect immensely what that organization has done and hopefully will do. Hats off to them but also know how DRUNKARD this Pittsburgh town gets, win or loose, every week that they play.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
LOVE it !!!!!!!! Just for the record, I became a STEELERS fan in 1968. Been the ultimate since. I've also became an ANYTHING Pittsburgh, including Penguins / Pirates. The big three so to speak, just a few years later. Now I'm any and all PITTSBURGH, including the women's lingerie football team we had a few years ago. Pitt Panthers are a favorite too!!!.
.............I'll agree that the Pen's only have one more championship to match the Steelers but if you are purely looking at championships then you must also know it is easier to make hockey play offs than football playoffs, just saying. Out of curiosity, who has the most Stanley cups and how many is that ?? The Steelers have more than ANYBODY else in their respective sport. I am so happy for the Penguins and YES Mario was a SUPER HERO of mine too. I respect immensely what that organization has done and hopefully will do. Hats off to them but also know how DRUNKARD this Pittsburgh town gets, win or loose, every week that they play.

Salute the nation

In hockey you play 82 games. Plenty of opportunity to get into the playoffs.
The nfl regular season has just 16 games. Small margin for error. So pretty much any sunday can be must win scenario.
No doubt different strokes.

Both sports offer some similarities and differences. For the NFL you're one and done in the playoffs.
The NHL is the best of 7.

I do think playoff hockey is just a whole new beast of it's own. And teams battle hard.
I did like the Steelers comeback on Baltimore back in 2010/2011 when AB caught that pass on the sideline, holding the ball against his helmet.

I've followed both teams pretty much my entire life as well. So I root for both. If they like to compete on who gets the most championships? ....well have it. That's awesome and great for us Pittsburgh fans.

Both franchises have tradition and legacy. As stated though, the Steelers have this legendary vibe to them

awboatguy

Reaction score
IMO..

I will agree management wise, Mario and company have the winning formula for the NHL. The young Art Rooney jr would be wise to take some notes to find compatibles to the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The comparisons between Mike Sullivan and Mike Tomlin reveal the fickle nature of Pittsburgh fans

Pittsburgh sports fans are a passionate, and fickle, bunch, and nothing has made that more evident that the recent success of the team’s local hockey club.
by Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 20, 2017, 9:30am EDT

I want to start this article with the simple fact I am a Pittsburgh sports fan. I don’t just like, and write about, the Steelers, but also am a rabid fan of the Penguins and Pirates. While following all three sports, it is hard not to see the similarities, and differences, between the fan bases.

Now, I would be foolish not to state the difference in the size of the fan bases. The Pirates, who sport the smallest fan base, are being lapped by the back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Penguins in regards to those who cling to the team as their favorite, and the six-time Super Bowl champion Steelers fan base remains one of the largest in all of sports. But there is a large contingent of Pittsburgh fans who are just like me, and root for all three teams.

If you don’t follow hockey, or root for another team, this might not pertain to you, but you certainly can appreciate the comparison with the Steelers.

I couldn’t help but focus on social media when the Penguins hoisted Lord Stanley’s Cup after Game 6 against the Nashville Predators. All I could see was praise for Mike Sullivan, the head coach of the Penguins, and the job he did throughout the seasons he has been the bench boss of the Pens.

What I didn’t see was immediate criticism of Sullivan for things which everyone has heard regarding Mike Tomlin, even immediately after his Super Bowl 43 victory.

Here is what wasn’t said:

Sullivan won with Dan Bylsma and Michelle Therrien’s players.
Sullivan is lucky he inherited Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, he would suck without them.
Sullivan loses to sub par teams. How in the hell does he let his team go to seven games against the Ottawa Senators?!
I realize the two sports are starkly different, but these are the same complaints about Mike Tomlin which have never stopped since the head coach had his first taste of success in the Steel City.

Tomlin’s only Super Bowl win was with Bill Cowher’s players.
If Mike Tomlin didn’t inherit Ben Roethlisberger, he would be exposed for the fraud he is.
Tomlin never beats sub par competition. Every year he is good for at least one dud. Good coaches don’t let that happen.
The reality of the situation is Sullivan is at the pinnacle of his sport. There might be some criticism of him on social media, but those packs of people will be minute at this time of year.

Both coaches inherited quality lineups, put their own personal touches on their respective teams, and won championships. Although Tomlin has had more years without winning than Sullivan, the comparisons, and alternate responses to each coach’s success are valid.

Look up the word fickle in the dictionary, and this is what you will see:

“changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.”

This, would be the perfect adjective to describe Pittsburgh fans and their views of their head coaches. Two coaches, both reaching the pinnacle of their sport, and yet fans view them differently.

Sure, race could be a motivator for some fans, but for others there is just something different. Many might suggest it is the expected success of the Steelers, which was spawned by the ridiculous teams of the 1970s. Others might offer up the fact the Penguins are rather new to success, not capturing their first Stanley Cup since Mario Lemieux graced the Civic Arena donning No. 66.

Whatever the case may be, my suggestion is to not draw such a strong line in the sand when it comes to the successes, or failures, of the Pittsburgh coaches. Both coaches have brought world championships to Pittsburgh, and although we hang our proverbial hats on the fact Pittsburgh is the “City of Champions”, be proud this city has so many sports titles to it’s name. After all, you could be rooting for a team like the Cincinnati Bengals, or Cleveland Browns.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation

I will say this: It may be "easier" to qualify for the playoffs, but you have to play between 16-28 games over a 2 month period to win the cup! Winning the cup is the most grueling way to win a championship in all of sports. If it was easy, the Caps would have multiple cups. They don't.

Also I'm with you. Steelers are my favorite team and caused me to make the Pens my favorite Hockey team.

The Pirates are my favorite minor league team....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it's pretty hard to compare coaches in sports, especially when it comes to expectations.

*Winning with players: Whatever at this point. It is has been discussed more than any of us care to admit. It's probably not discussed with Sullivan because the Pens went all in about every year and they were massive underachievers at the end of Bylsma's tenure and Johnston was a disaster.
*Sullivan did inherit Crosby and Malkin, but Crosby didn't look the same and wasn't scoring goals under Johnston. By contrast, Roethlisberger was stuck with Bruce Arians.
*No one cares that it took the Penguins 7 games to beat a subpar team. They won the series. He won two Stanley Cups, the second with an injury riddled team, a team that probably shouldn't have made it as far as they did.

Sullivan is arguably the best coach in the NHL with his Xs & Os, ability to make adjustments between games or during a game, and managing his star players and locker room. No knock on Tomlin, but he doesn't match that right now and even though he's a top 5 coach in the league, he is dealing with a fanbase that demands championships. It won't be long before Sullivan is dealing with criticisms himself, but hopefully that won't come until after another Cup run.

Sullivan won with Dan Bylsma and Michelle Therrien’s players.
Sullivan is lucky he inherited Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, he would suck without them.
Sullivan loses to sub par teams. How in the hell does he let his team go to seven games against the Ottawa Senators?!
I realize the two sports are starkly different, but these are the same complaints about Mike Tomlin which have never stopped since the head coach had his first taste of success in the Steel City.

Tomlin’s only lowB repuS win was with Bill Cowher’s players.
If Mike Tomlin didn’t inherit Ben Roethlisberger, he would be exposed for the fraud he is.
Tomlin never beats sub par competition. Every year he is good for at least one dud. Good coaches don’t let that happen.
The reality of the situation is Sullivan is at the pinnacle of his sport. There might be some criticism of him on social media, but those packs of people will be minute at this time of year.