• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anthony McFarland’s 21-Day Window Is Up

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday is the day for backup running back, Anthony McFarland. He was activated from Injured Reserve on October 5th, making today, October 26th, the 21st day for his roster exemption. During the 21-day roster exemption period, the player may practice with the team, but can not play in a game until added to the team’s roster. At the 21-day mark, the Pittsburgh Steelers have to make a decision: 1) Add McFarland to the active roster, 2) drop him back to injured reserve where he must stay for the remainder of the year, or 3) release the player so he can get heathy enough to return to play this year.

Initially, we thought McFarland was dealing with a hamstring injury, which was odd that he was placed on Injured Reserve with that in the first place. But it came out that he suffered a knee injury to his MCL that landed him on IR.

McFarland rose quickly up the running back depth chart this off-season, partly due to his talent, and partly due to his knowledge of Matt Canada‘s offense which he played under at the University of Maryland. The Steelers have a need for a reliable backup to Najee Harris, and McFarland was supposed to be that compliment.

We will find out today if McFarland is in the plans for the 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Will they activate McFarland today? Sound off below.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks G.

Put up or shut up. If anthony can't go is IR fr the year. I thin k the short term was a more "hopefully" he is healed decision. If he is back then I am looking forward to see what he can bring to the table. The old addage you can't contribute if you're in the tub is true so now the tub is drained and lets see what you've got.

Could be a great healthy return to action / spell Harris possibility.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless he really is done for the year, bring him up and get rid of Snell or Ballage. Both have been pretty bad when put in games. Even if McFarland needs a few more weeks, activate him or get someone else to backup Najee. They are going to run Najee into the ground his rookie season.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin said in the presser today that they expect to activate Anthony.

Then I'm ready to see what he's got and if he can take 5-10 snaps off Najee, be productful and stay healthy then more power to him.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
AP at his age can do a better job than Ballage who has looked like trash since pre season.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt hasn't even started practicing. Minimum for him coming back now is still another 3 or 4 weeks out and when reading the local pundits, they don't really get a sense he will come back this year.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Who gets dropped to make room for Anthony ?

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Snell or Ballage go to the PS. Snell definitely looks like he got worse this year but Ballage hasn't looked as good as I hoped so pick your poison between the 2 and give McFarland a shot.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Snell or Ballage go to the PS. Snell definitely looks like he got worse this year but Ballage hasn't looked as good as I hoped so pick your poison between the 2 and give McFarland a shot.

I agree, I think i'd sit Snell, no particular reason but it seems Ballage leans forward when tackled. Neither has performed and time for the A-train mcFarland to show his stuff.

Salute the nation