• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

any of us could have written this article

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
He stopped short of calling for Tomlin's job. He seemed to want to, but bowed to the reality and Tomlin will never be fired. But, why now? They squandered Ben's career. It's years late.

I could have written this article. You could have.

diver

Reaction score
Tomlin should be fired.

They didn't "squander" Ben's career though. He was the QB. He was very instrumental in the failures over the years as well. I think the world of Ben, but let's be honest. He wasn't some lump of clay that had no responsibility for anything. And the truth is, he didn't play well in many of those playoff failures.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Tomlin is not going anywhere until he decides to leave. Why would he? He's in the most secure HC job in all of sports with a multi-million dollar yearly salary who works for the majority owner that absolutely loves him. Why would he leave this where the owner seems to accept mediocrity as the standard and as a successful season, where he picks his buddies for his staff that don't dare question him, and has a huge impact on the decision making with player personnel. Actually its been said he has final approval on the draft and FA and that's huge and if its true he's really acting as the team's GM and Colbert has been in name only. The man's seat never gets hot, hell it stays ice cold so he's in the perfect situation and isn't about to leave. He knows that most anywhere else his seat would have been scorched years ago and most likely would have been terminated and he has the perfect situation with Rooney.
So I expect more of the same old same old to continue. Butler sounds like he will retire so that means his buddy Terrell Austin another yes man that won't challenge his coach but go along with the program to be promoted to DC. I think the coach that's currently the OL coach will be retained. Bubbles Smith will be retained as ST coach. And are you ready for this? Canada stays in the states, specifically Pittsburgh. Its been said that both Art II and Tomlin love the guy and want him here to work with Ben's successor and that he wants a mobile QB to run his offense. I think he's staying. They may make a position coach change here and there, maybe receiver's coach or something on that order just for cosmetics, but don't expect much.
When Kevin retires it will be an internal promotion but Tomlin will continue call the shots like he has with Colbert. First shot will be acquiring a veteran QB whomever that may be but he's going after a veteran for sure. Hopefully he doesn't mortgage the farm to get him but don't be surprised.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin should be fired.

They didn't "squander" Ben's career though. He was the QB. He was very instrumental in the failures over the years as well. I think the world of Ben, but let's be honest. He wasn't some lump of clay that had no responsibility for anything. And the truth is, he didn't play well in many of those playoff failures.
Well, the one thing we know for sure is that gameplans were irrelevant.

Free Agent

Reaction score
That's the Pitt media for you. They all act like they ask the hard/tough questions, but on the other hand they are pretty soft. They all stop short of calling for it for him to be fired.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is not going anywhere until he decides to leave. Why would he? He's in the most secure HC job in all of sports with a multi-million dollar yearly salary who works for the majority owner that absolutely loves him. Why would he leave this where the owner seems to accept mediocrity as the standard and as a successful season, where he picks his buddies for his staff that don't dare question him, and has a huge impact on the decision making with player personnel. Actually its been said he has final approval on the draft and FA and that's huge and if its true he's really acting as the team's GM and Colbert has been in name only. The man's seat never gets hot, hell it stays ice cold so he's in the perfect situation and isn't about to leave. He knows that most anywhere else his seat would have been scorched years ago and most likely would have been terminated and he has the perfect situation with Rooney.
So I expect more of the same old same old to continue. Butler sounds like he will retire so that means his buddy Terrell Austin another yes man that won't challenge his coach but go along with the program to be promoted to DC. I think the coach that's currently the OL coach will be retained. Bubbles Smith will be retained as ST coach. And are you ready for this? Canada stays in the states, specifically Pittsburgh. Its been said that both Art II and Tomlin love the guy and want him here to work with Ben's successor and that he wants a mobile QB to run his offense. I think he's staying. They may make a position coach change here and there, maybe receiver's coach or something on that order just for cosmetics, but don't expect much.
When Kevin retires it will be an internal promotion but Tomlin will continue call the shots like he has with Colbert. First shot will be acquiring a veteran QB whomever that may be but he's going after a veteran for sure. Hopefully he doesn't mortgage the farm to get him but don't be surprised.

THIS is spot on !!!!

Salute the nation

mdk2

Reaction score
I mean, there's really nothing left to say after this.

100 percent right.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
So much to unpack here I am going to get flamed as a apologist. So I’ll settle on the “I call BS” on the bolded sections.

Please provide the link to “Tomlin has final approval on the draft and FA..” Because that’s absolutely false and you know it. You hate the head coach. We get it. There are many feel the same. There are many who do not. But making up rationale for disliking the coach is wrong. Colbert is the de facto player evaluator for college and pro personnel and has been since Mr. Rooney hired him. Tomlin is the head coach of the players on the team and coaching staff. They do exactly the same thing Chin did with Colbert for several years, they formulate the roster. Identify what worked, what didn’t or can improve. Then Mr Rooney (now Art2) with both Colbert and Tomlin comes to a consensus. This applies to FA, and draft.

Teryl Austin was not an INTERNAL hire. He was hired as a secondary coach. He’s been a DC with two teams and secondary coach with several others including college. All the position coaches have input to game planning and player decisions.

Again link please for this, because Canada was brought in to make Fichtner‘s offense less predictable and more fluid with Canada’s college motion offense. Canada remaining was a circumstance of Ben returning one more year, less change to the offense but import new ideas to help Ben. They didn’t have a new QB to teach a “new” offense as they felt they could win a championship now. I didn’t like the hire, felt like he was in over his head and his professional mannerisms didn’t reflect a OC at all.

The last bolded statement……again totally fabricated and is purely your opinion only. I get it the sting of the end of the season hurts. It always does. But we have eight weeks till FA starts and we get on the ride again.

steelhurt

Reaction score
So much to unpack here I am going to get flamed as a apologist. So I’ll settle on the “I call BS” on the bolded sections.

Please provide the link to “Tomlin has final approval on the draft and FA..” Because that’s absolutely false and you know it. You hate the head coach. We get it. There are many feel the same. There are many who do not. But making up rationale for disliking the coach is wrong. Colbert is the de facto player evaluator for college and pro personnel and has been since Mr. Rooney hired him. Tomlin is the head coach of the players on the team and coaching staff. They do exactly the same thing Chin did with Colbert for several years, they formulate the roster. Identify what worked, what didn’t or can improve. Then Mr Rooney (now Art2) with both Colbert and Tomlin comes to a consensus. This applies to FA, and draft.

Teryl Austin was not an INTERNAL hire. He was hired as a secondary coach. He’s been a DC with two teams and secondary coach with several others including college. All the position coaches have input to game planning and player decisions.

Again link please for this, because Canada was brought in to make Fichtner‘s offense less predictable and more fluid with Canada’s college motion offense. Canada remaining was a circumstance of Ben returning one more year, less change to the offense but import new ideas to help Ben. They didn’t have a new QB to teach a “new” offense as they felt they could win a championship now. I didn’t like the hire, felt like he was in over his head and his professional mannerisms didn’t reflect a OC at all.

The last bolded statement……again totally fabricated and is purely your opinion only. I get it the sting of the end of the season hurts. It always does. But we have eight weeks till FA starts and we get on the ride again.
First of all chum I do not hate Mike Tomlin. I don’t know the man personally so it’s harsh to say I hate him. Do I think he’s a good coach? I think he’s an average coach that has helped assemble an average football team that produces average results. If you’re ok with that fine, but I’m not.
He rolls out the same outdated defense every game this past year and frankly since he’s been here.
Brings back a 39 year old QB to play behind a rag tag OL and an OC where play calling can be called questionable at the very least. Canada is in over his head and that’s what Tomlin promoted. If buddy Butler retires, same old same old with Tereyl Austin being promoted from within. I didn’t say Austin was an initial internal hire, I said he will be promoted to DC if. Butler retires. That will be a promotion from within.
All you want to do is poke holes in my assessment which is based on what I see, what I actually know, and what I feel. I know for a fact he has great input and final approval on all player personnel so I don’t really care what the **** you think.
You’re happy with this guy,have at it but don’t spew your BS to me. This coach will never,ever get this team to another super bowl. We now have the worst talent in the division so enjoy looking up from the cellar with your beloved Tomlin.

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
when you have red paint, you paint your barn red.
That guy Machine Gun Kelly or Ozark Ike likes to come on here and spew his condescending rhetoric like he knows it all.
Don’t tell me I hate someone that I’ve never even met. As a matter of fact I actually think he may be a pretty nice guy and intelligent as well but I don’t believe he is or has ever been the right guy for this job. We continue to chase our tail year in and year out and get nowhere.
And I’ll add one other fact whether he wants to believe this or not. It was Tomlin who went after Bush thinking he was going to be their QB of the defense. That was as HIS GUY!

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
He stopped short of calling for Tomlin's job. He seemed to want to, but bowed to the reality and Tomlin will never be fired. But, why now? They squandered Ben's career. It's years late.

I could have written this article. You could have.

I noticed how the article that you referenced was quick to point out just how ineffective Tomlin is, how he doesn't hire competent coordinators, and how our owner doesn't seem to give a damn that our franchise has become a joke under his leadership. It's as if some people think we should just cast this family rule aside and hold people accountable for their actions or lack thereof. Right-wing, gutter journalism at its finest!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love it! I don’t believe I have ever used “chum” in a written sentence. 🙂
I know right! I’m letting my crank old age show. Sorry!

When I'm in my spirit world I us chum & crank all the time, helps keep those who want to cut in line for the gauntlet run at bae.

Salute the nation

Steelmann

Reaction score
I know right! I’m letting my crank old age show. Sorry!
Hey.....no apologies necessary. I agree with a lot of what you say. I have said many times on this board that I would have let Tomlin go after the Tebow game. As far as I was concerned he would never get them past a certain point. They haven’t. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt. Hoping he would prove me wrong. Defenders of Tomlin always like to show you his whole body of work....IE his career won lost record and competing teams. Then go on to say things like Look at Detroit,would you like to be their fan. Then of course they use their favorite word. Hater. No different if you have ....gasp...the audacity to criticize Ben. Hater. You are a hater. Lol.

mdk2

Reaction score

To be fair, Teryl Austin's times at DC he has fielded some of the worst defenses in the league statistically. Just throwing that out there.

I don't think everyone minds internal hires if the person has a great resume. What people want is someone established that has shown they've fielded a good defense or offense.

Tomlin is giving opportunities to people who haven't really earned them. Which leads people to question, why? Does Tomlin really want to win at all costs? Or does he want to win HIS way. There is no doubt, it's the latter.

Last edited:

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Tomlin should be fired.

I think Ben has been stubborn regarding OC's and coaches and has been running a more and more watered down version of the first Offense he ran with Whiz. He doesn't like change and has not seemed to be willing to do any thing different. The closest we got to a OC that actually helped him and was doing better was Haley and low and behold they couldn't get along and Ben basically said he goes or I go. Gotta wonder if he was willing to let someone truly coach him and get the best out of him what could have been. The fact that Ben is responsible for Fichtner becoming the OC that is very telling by itself.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey.....no apologies necessary. I agree with a lot of what you say. I have said many times on this board that I would have let Tomlin go after the Tebow game. As far as I was concerned he would never get them past a certain point. They haven’t. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt. Hoping he would prove me wrong. Defenders of Tomlin always like to show you his whole body of work....IE his career won lost record and competing teams. Then go on to say things like Look at Detroit,would you like to be their fan. Then of course they use their favorite word. Hater. No different if you have ....gasp...the audacity to criticize Ben. Hater. You are a hater. Lol.
Well after the Tebow game he had consecutive 8-8 seasons 2012, 2013. Not to mention the worst start in 2013. Didn’t he go like 0-4 or something to start the season. Watching the Steelers compared to other teams. There is a lack of coaching. The Steelers always look like a free for all backyard ball. When you watch teams like the Bills, Patriots, Buccaneers, Chiefs. There seems to be more organization, more dynamic and opportunities for big plays. You don’t see that with the Steelers.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ben has been stubborn regarding OC's and coaches and has been running a more and more watered down version of the first Offense he ran with Whiz. He doesn't like change and has not seemed to be willing to do any thing different. The closest we got to a OC that actually helped him and was doing better was Haley and low and behold they couldn't get along and Ben basically said he goes or I go. Gotta wonder if he was willing to let someone truly coach him and get the best out of him what could have been. The fact that Ben is responsible for Fichtner becoming the OC that is very telling by itself.
Maybe there is discord between Tomlin and Cowhers players that they keep hush. Alan Faneca and James Harrison vented their discord. All you hear is players love him. Maybe that’s just good PR. Who knows whats really going on behind the scenes

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not taking a debate side here but it was my impression that Tomlin and Colbert handle the draft together. Same with free agency. I have been trying to figure out which way the pendulum ultimately swings. For awhile now but neither party is jumping on the platform and saying they have the final say.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Not taking a debate side here but it was my impression that Tomlin and Colbert handle the draft together. Same with free agency. I have been trying to figure out which way the pendulum ultimately swings. For awhile now but neither party is jumping on the platform and saying they have the final say.
Given the majority of picks as of late, I'm surprised that neither side is denying involvement.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Hahaha, I've heard this one before and it's still just as ridiculous, so Ben as all the power to fire Haley???? Yet his best friend, Arians was fired. If Ben had that power do you honestly think he wouldn't make sure Arians stayed??? Then after Arians was fired, you really think he'd want a guy like Haley in here? That doesn't fit the narrative though does it? Ben has changed his game several times over his career, from "game manager" early, to air it out under Arians, (remember everyone screaming, Ben holds the ball to long, take what the defense gives you) to short quicker stuff under Haley and since, over the past several seasons, no one has gotten rid of the ball quicker. So he's gone from holding the ball to long to getting rid of it quicker than anyone, but he's stubborn to change.