• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the recent rumblings a cry for help from the locker room?

xjx

Reaction score
I hope Rooney is reading all of these comments about marshmallow Tomlin. Maybe he will take action.

SteelDude304

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin rejects Chase Claypool’s request for music and “more fun” at practice

I thought the above ^ was a great headline. I'm sure Tomlin publicly rejected the idea of "more fun" at practice. Behind the scenes, he's like, "C'mon, dawg. You're going to get me in trouble".

speedicut

Reaction score
It's mainly a lack of leadership and that starts with Tomlin.
Preparing your players/team is fundamental in coaching and if you are missing that, everything else is going to suffer... no matter how much talent you have.
When I watch the Steelers I see players out of position, missed blocks/tackles, frustrations that end up with penalties, no needed halftime adjustments, one failure after another... and that's a coaching staff that doesn't have a grip on the job of making sure everyone knows their job and is ready to execute. Without that everything turns to **** and all confidence is lost... and that's the end of the game.
Whatever 'changes' are coming, I hope it lands heaviest on the coaching staff, top to bottom..

Glad players, former greats, PGH Dad et al are speaking up, this entire organization needs fixed!!

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like Tomlin's already very shaky house of cards is crumbling down hard.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know the third, but from Minkah:

Yeah, Brook Pryor brought it up, but her question was geared towards “in the guidelines allowed”. The CBA only allows four hours of padded practices per week during the regular season. Four freaking hours. Two days are used for padded practices. Wednesday and Thursday. Fridays are walk throughs…I know Cowher used Fridays for 3rd down and red zone play installs. Most coaches follow the same process, although others do skip around dependent on the game plan. Saturday is travel day, and can include a brief walkthrough before or after arriving in the host city.

I get Minkah’s comment regarding tempo, but with all the injuries, thats a toss up. The players union hammered down less practic time during OTAs, camp, and the regular season during this last CBA. Shortsighted IMO, as it doesn’t allow the previous fringe player or rookie to improve as fast as they used to.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
While I believe that, I wish he'd practice Wednesdays (can't say I follow too much lately to know if he does or not) to affirm that will to win. Especially with a new OL, new OL coach, new OC and a group of young & fairly raw WR corp. Oh, not to mention a new RB.

Well he's going to have all of his days off pretty soon.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin rejects Chase Claypool’s request for music and “more fun” at practice

I thought the above ^ was a great headline. I'm sure Tomlin publicly rejected the idea of "more fun" at practice. Behind the scenes, he's like, "C'mon, dawg. You're going to get me in trouble".

Coach Tomlin is saying the right things but the real question is how the **** is Claypool even thinking this would be a good idea............ This shows NO dicipline or leadership. Why isn't he focusing on being a better widereceiver instead of some DJ listening to music. Cam Haywerd is a man amongst men but to soft in his approach. TJ WATT is a man amongst men but I don't think he takes that leadership role as serious as needed. NO ONE wants to bust heads and get into another players face for clowning around or not taking things seriously or devoted.

The 70's STEELERS held each other so accountable it netted 4 SBs, The 80's may have been disappointing mostly due to QB play but yet they held themselves accountable. The 90's the same thing all the way up to as the leadership players of Cowher started to leave the children started to play.

Tomlin didn't real them in and it just keeps getting worse and worse to here we are today. Players emulate / team emulates / who is at the top, and for the team it is Coach Tomlin. Little chest is a prime example, Troy complaining about practices not being serious and players not working all add up to Coach Tomlin.

I realize Coach Tomlin is here to stay at least 2 ore seasons due to contract extension but also hope somewhere he can change this slop-fest.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the one from Schobert:

Steelers LB says they need to ‘take practice seriously’​

Joe Schobert says they need consistency with workouts

Similar comments have also been made by Cam in the past.
That was a click bait blurb by 93.7TheFan and immediately shot down by the player after it was reported. If you read the article, you would have read Shoebert reiterated his words didn’t imply the players don’t take practice seriously, but rather emphasized stacking practices correcting the mistakes (i.e.tackling). Which he is right.

Cam has said on a hundred occasions that everyone is accountable in their preparation and performance. That’s why he’s the Captain and one of the leaders of the team.

Try again……but do your research before pushing the narrative.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Holy, crap....He's pissed. It's one thing to read a few sentences in an article, but to see the raw emotion is another thing.

I wanna see Tomlin (and the whole team for that matter) get fired up on the field like he did in the presser when asked about USC rumors.

Tomlin addressed it during his press conference acknowledging he saw RC’s comments. Paraphrasing, but basically said “he (Ryan) would know as he’s been in that locker room” and knows what’s expected by every player in there. Tomlin also said “I agree with him too”.

SteelDude304

Reaction score
That was a click bait blurb by 93.7TheFan and immediately shot down by the player after it was reported. If you read the article, you would have read Shoebert reiterated his words didn’t imply the players don’t take practice seriously, but rather emphasized stacking practices correcting the mistakes (i.e.tackling). Which he is right.

Cam has said on a hundred occasions that everyone is accountable in their preparation and performance. That’s why he’s the Captain and one of the leaders of the team.

Try again……but do your research before pushing the narrative.
Ohhh. I see. It was just a click bait blurb. Well, here's another source where even Tomlin didn't dispute what he said.

PITTSBURGH — Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin downplayed criticism levied toward inside linebacker Joe Schobert for his comments about the team’s practice habits after tying the Detroit Lions on Sunday.

Schobert said that the team needs to take its practices seriously in order to rectify tackling and penalty issues that cropped up against the Lions. When asked specifically if he thought the team had not taken its practices leading up to the Lions game seriously enough, Schobert said no, and added that making corrections is a multi-week process.

“When repeat mistakes show up, you have to start emphasizing them in practice,” Schobert said. “Which we have been doing, but it’s a learning process. You try to start doing it all the time in practice to have a carryover. You can’t just do it one week and expect it to produce on game day. You’ve gotta stack your weeks and your practices on top of each other to be able to carry it over.”

Some took Schobert’s criticism as a failure of the team’s leadership, something that Tomlin dismissed.

“I have no issue with how we practice and I’m sure Joe doesn’t,” he said. “I’m sure he was just answering questions after a football game.”

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

This is a reflection on Tomlin and the veteran leaders in the locker room. The downfall started all the way back when Troy was nearing the end of his career because he talked about the shift in the locker room. Heyward has talked about how the defense plays ever since then. It's frustrating.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

This is a reflection on Tomlin and the veteran leaders in the locker room. The downfall started all the way back when Troy was nearing the end of his career because he talked about the shift in the locker room. Heyward has talked about how the defense plays ever since then. It's frustrating.

I get Minkah’s comment regarding tempo, but with all the injuries, thats a toss up. The players union hammered down less practic time during OTAs, camp, and the regular season during this last CBA. Shortsighted IMO, as it doesn’t allow the previous fringe player or rookie to improve as fast as they used to.

The league gladly went along with less practice in pads because they don't want any more head injury lawsuits.
Which is the other thing, dudes can't hit as hard as hard as they did 5 or 10 years ago, that stuff is a penalty now. Still, someone is going to be in first place in their division, win their conference, and win the Super Bowl, and it ain't us.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

This isn’t just a Steelers issue, an nfl issue etc. This type of attitude is what is carried forth by today’s generation of youngsters. The current players are a product of society today.

We live in sensitive times, when you hear guys like Claypool etc wanting music, tik tok dances on opponents logos, social media brand. That’s today’s youth. We’re the old “get off my lawn” type of guys/gals.

I honestly cannot say I’m surprised. I’m sure most of the players don’t care what former players have to say.

SteelDude304

Reaction score
Still, someone is going to be in first place in their division, win their conference, and win the Super Bowl, and it ain't us.
Whoa. Let's not jump the gun here. I'm not sure if you missed Tomlin's comments to the media earlier today where he said he'd be shaking things up in the trenches. Sure, a SB title might not be in the cards this year, but I figure the AFC Championship with the Chiefs should at least come down to the wire.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Whoa. Let's not jump the gun here. I'm not sure if you missed Tomlin's comments to the media earlier today where he said he'd be shaking things up in the trenches. Sure, a SB title might not be in the cards this year, but I figure the AFC Championship with the Chiefs should at least come down to the wire.
Doubtful. He's said that dozens of times before and the next week the same lineup trots out again.
You must be new here. Welcome to SN.com where we call 'em as we see 'em.

SteelDude304

Reaction score
Doubtful. He's said that dozens of times before and the next week the same lineup trots out again.
You must be new here. Welcome to SN.com where we call 'em as we see 'em.
Sarcasm, dude. The only way the Steelers attend an AFC Championship in the next several years will be if they pay to see it from a luxury box.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Sarcasm, dude. The only way the Steelers attend an AFC Championship in the next several years will be if they pay to see it from a luxury box.
Fine enough. You should fit in well here. :beers:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I don't like seeing any of what we're going through just like 99% of the rest of this board, but when you see this kinda thing and then read Rocky Bleier is pissed too, something is BAD wrong. There's just no way to sugarcoat it.

He's normally pretty reserved,well at least last year when it came to criticism. In years prior he let it rip.

My biggest worry has always been the Steelers losing their way. That torch had been carried from the 70,s on until James Harrison left . That flame is gone.

Much like freedom when it isn't fought for and protected or you will lose it.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
iu
m

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AND yet other teams seem to tackle very well.................................. How the hell is our team spending practices ?

Salute the nation
That's the problem. What you see is what you get basically coming out of camp. No serious practice is done during the season other than running routes and covering guys. There is no physicality in practice. So, during the season, if that becomes an issue, how do you fix it when you can't practice it? We need to get some spies going to the Ratbirds practices and others to see why they can consistently plug in guys and get the results on D that they need. We aren't doing it. I do believe Butler is gone this year as the scapegoat. But, nothing will change unless Tomlin brings in an outside guy and actually lets him do his job. Tomlin should have input but he needs to be the head coach and not the D and/or O coordinator.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah their shake up is bring in a scrub off another teams PS. Move players out of position (MF and Heyward) Typical Tombert approach of fail. For me their talk is just talk at this point.

GILBERT

Reaction score
One thing is call out losing.
Another losing badly.

But when Alumni (who the Steelers cherish) start calling out the foundation, character, brand, and morals of this franchise, you have a problem.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's the problem. What you see is what you get basically coming out of camp. No serious practice is done during the season other than running routes and covering guys. There is no physicality in practice. So, during the season, if that becomes an issue, how do you fix it when you can't practice it? We need to get some spies going to the Ratbirds practices and others to see why they can consistently plug in guys and get the results on D that they need. We aren't doing it. I do believe Butler is gone this year as the scapegoat. But, nothing will change unless Tomlin brings in an outside guy and actually lets him do his job. Tomlin should have input but he needs to be the head coach and not the D and/or O coordinator.

If other teams are finding a way, then we should / can as well. It all comes down to Coaching / attitude / leadership.

If my BOSS tells me to be on time yet I'm continuously 4 minutes late with no accountability............. it'll eventually creep to 5 then 7 then 12.

You get my drift. This team has drifted to where it is today because our Coach is a "players" coach, least ways that is a part of it.

MY question is can Coach Tomlin reel this back in or has it gotten to far out of hand ???

My vote is he best try like hell and I hope things turn for him and our beloved STEELERS team.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
If other teams are finding a way, then we should / can as well. It all comes down to Coaching / attitude / leadership.

If my BOSS tells me to be on time yet I'm continuously 4 minutes late with no accountability............. it'll eventually creep to 5 then 7 then 12.

You get my drift. This team has drifted to where it is today because our Coach is a "players" coach, least ways that is a part of it.

MY question is can Coach Tomlin reel this back in or has it gotten to far out of hand ???

My vote is he best try like hell and I hope things turn for him and our beloved STEELERS team.

Salute the nation
It’s out of hand. Well from the football side of operations it’s out of hand.

Maybe there is no locker room drama but the Steelers just suck on field as a result of poor preparation. In that case that is Art’s ultimate decision.

It sucks to see. Cause as a fan we want our teams to have success. But if the majority owner is not willing to change. Well Tomlin must be doing something right