• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the recent rumblings a cry for help from the locker room?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If other teams are finding a way, then we should / can as well. It all comes down to Coaching / attitude / leadership.

If my BOSS tells me to be on time yet I'm continuously 4 minutes late with no accountability............. it'll eventually creep to 5 then 7 then 12.

You get my drift. This team has drifted to where it is today because our Coach is a "players" coach, least ways that is a part of it.

MY question is can Coach Tomlin reel this back in or has it gotten to far out of hand ???

My vote is he best try like hell and I hope things turn for him and our beloved STEELERS team.

Salute the nation
I think this season is done for. It's far enough out of hand and with the injuries/COVID issues, I don't think we will see much improvement this year. The O-line is what it is as well and we have no one but Banner to try to help. We are 11 games into this season. This is who we are at this point. Just watch the games and hope to see some glimmers of hope for next year and enjoy watching Ben play for a few more games. That's my plan for the rest of the year. When Ben hangs them up, I guarantee we will all miss him.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s out of hand. Well from the football side of operations it’s out of hand.

Maybe there is no locker room drama but the Steelers just suck on field as a result of poor preparation. In that case that is Art’s ultimate decision.

It sucks to see. Cause as a fan we want our teams to have success. But if the majority owner is not willing to change. Well Tomlin must be doing something right

I realize as fans we only get to see limited things of the whole picture. The eye test helps level the field for fans. My eye test has seen MUCH of what is being said here.

I'm sure there are many things that Coach Tomlin does that is VERY good but it is NOT translating to wins on the field of play.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I realize as fans we only get to see limited things of the whole picture. The eye test helps level the field for fans. My eye test has seen MUCH of what is being said here.

I'm sure there are many things that Coach Tomlin does that is VERY good but it is NOT translating to wins on the field of play.

Salute the nation
That’s my point. I don’t think Art is going to fire a decent human being over the publics’s and alumni outrage.

In that case. I don’t know what to expect. This team is a mystery moving forward

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
That’s my point. I don’t think Art is going to fire a decent human being over the publics’s and alumni outrage.

Then Art should fire him because of results (or lack of them). If he were to give more weight to what ultimately matters (playoff and SB wins) over the inconsequential (non-losing seasons and division crowns), the decision to cut ties with Tomlin would be an easy one to make. And while Tomlin does seem to be a good guy, losing this job wouldn't exactly land him in the soup kitchen. He's guaranteed to land nicely on his feet somewhere else in the world of football.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Then Art should fire him because of results (or lack of them). If he were to give more weight to what ultimately matters (playoff and SB wins) over the inconsequential (non-losing seasons and division crowns), the decision to cut ties with Tomlin would be an easy one to make. And while Tomlin does seem to be a good guy, losing this job wouldn't exactly land him in the soup kitchen. He's guaranteed to land nicely on his feet somewhere else in the world of football.
I just don’t think Art 2 thinks in terms of football. I’ve stated numerous times, the Steelers are an established brand. As long as the team sales merchandise this team will thrive even losing games.

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of culture, personally I'm tired of all the drama within the organization over the last 5 years. It's ******* always something other than football anymore. Bell, Brown, Tik tok, music at practice, all dumb **** and I'm sure there is more I'm missing at the moment. I can't imagine how pissed players that helped build the legacy of the Steelers are to watch this **** show. Enough is enough!

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like seeing any of what we're going through just like 99% of the rest of this board, but when you see this kinda thing and then read Rocky Bleier is pissed too, something is BAD wrong. There's just no way to sugarcoat it.
In fairness, Rocky has been more and more vocal the last few years. This isn't the first time he's essentially said the team or a given player is playing like ***.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty obvious coach tomlin has lost the team… not to say can’t get them back again but the short pass on offense the crappy defense thst gives up the line of scrimmage so easily… hard for young players to get their head around that… with the young offensive line and rookie back they should have planned on a smash mouth offense from the start… rudy throwing 50 times against the lions? you can’t just coach any worse than that… he’ll they have lost me and I don’t even suit up lol

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this week's game against the Ravens is pivotal for Tomlin. He's always seemed to be able to pull a rabbit out of his *** when things seem the most bleak. If the Steelers get a win, they'll be right back in the playoff hunt; if they lose, the downward spiral continues, and 5-11-1 becomes very likely.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I was going through this thread and thinking about the general notion that the team has just somehow lost it's intensity or drive, it occurred to me that even though he was an epic *******, one thing you could NOT say about Brown was that he didn't work his *** off in practice and even before, and after practice.

Brown worked as hard or harder than any receiver ever to play the game and one wonders if that crazy work ethic wasn't in some way beneficial to the rest of the team. When he left, your new top guy is busy building is TikTok brand rather than spending and extra 30 hours a week making sideline catches while people wave foam noodles all around him and whack him with padded bags.

Further, when you consider the void at the "leader" role on offense. Ben was pretty much crucified in the media a few years ago for having the audacity to make any comments that could be construed as negative about his teammates. He aint gonna say **** to anyone now. He's going to go into the press conference, say, everyone is working really really hard and that HE has to play better. You can bet your *** he aint gonna say one ******* thing about the line failing to hold blocks, or Claypool or Diontae running the wrong route. No ******' sir!

So, the guy who SHOULD be your unquestioned leader has completely neutered himself. Of your star receivers, one is just getting to the point where he's not leading the league in drops and the other is in a sophomore slump and hasn't learned how to practice, how to prepare and how to dominate in the league yet. You've got a rookie RB who's determined to kill himself for another 1/2 yard, but he's a rookie. You've got an offensive lineman who's longest tenured member knows he sucks along with everyone else...

I mean Who WOULD lead the offense?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this week's game against the Ravens is pivotal for Tomlin. He's always seemed to be able to pull a rabbit out of his *** when things seem the most bleak. If the Steelers get a win, they'll be right back in the playoff hunt; if they lose, the downward spiral continues, and 5-11-1 becomes very likely.
I think it was last week.

They've dug too deep a hole. At this point, they pretty much need to win 75, 80% of their games JUST to secure the last seed.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Unfortunately every game has become pivitol due to losing the non-pivitol games. The backed into a corner is here for every game, provided we win them.

I hear what you are saying topseed

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was last week.

They've dug too deep a hole. At this point, they pretty much need to win 75, 80% of their games JUST to secure the last seed.
I by no means think that the Steelers are a playoff team, not entertaining any false hopes. I'm just saying that there've been games over Tomlin's tenure where I thought there was no way the Steelers are going to beat (xyz) team with how badly they're playing, and they somehow come out on top. This week feels like one of those games, but if it turns out not to be, I think they're in real trouble.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I by no means think that the Steelers are a playoff team, not entertaining any false hopes. I'm just saying that there've been games over Tomlin's tenure where I thought there was no way the Steelers are going to beat (xyz) team with how badly they're playing, and they somehow come out on top. This week feels like one of those games, but if it turns out not to be, I think they're in real trouble.
Oh I do believe Tomlin will do everything in his power to secure at least 3 more wins. I think that is God's Honest Truth.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
As I was going through this thread and thinking about the general notion that the team has just somehow lost it's intensity or drive, it occurred to me that even though he was an epic *******, one thing you could NOT say about Brown was that he didn't work his *** off in practice and even before, and after practice.

Brown worked as hard or harder than any receiver ever to play the game and one wonders if that crazy work ethic wasn't in some way beneficial to the rest of the team. When he left, your new top guy is busy building is TikTok brand rather than spending and extra 30 hours a week making sideline catches while people wave foam noodles all around him and whack him with padded bags.

Further, when you consider the void at the "leader" role on offense. Ben was pretty much crucified in the media a few years ago for having the audacity to make any comments that could be construed as negative about his teammates. He aint gonna say **** to anyone now. He's going to go into the press conference, say, everyone is working really really hard and that HE has to play better. You can bet your *** he aint gonna say one ******* thing about the line failing to hold blocks, or Claypool or Diontae running the wrong route. No ******' sir!

So, the guy who SHOULD be your unquestioned leader has completely neutered himself. Of your star receivers, one is just getting to the point where he's not leading the league in drops and the other is in a sophomore slump and hasn't learned how to practice, how to prepare and how to dominate in the league yet. You've got a rookie RB who's determined to kill himself for another 1/2 yard, but he's a rookie. You've got an offensive lineman who's longest tenured member knows he sucks along with everyone else...

I mean Who WOULD lead the offense?
And once again. The root of it is culture

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

In that case. I don’t know what to expect. This team is a mystery moving forward

It isn't about being a decent human being, we know he is. It's about the team and what it has become. That's on him. The culture. At this point in time he'd have to lose a bunch of guys who are used to a certain way of doing things. That's if he changed,which it being his style probably won't work for him.

I do know what to expect. I've got over 12 years of games in my brain can..lol.

You're right the owner,if he doesn't care about the team completely losing it's identity, then we sure can't do much about it.

The announcers should stop talking about the Steelers being this hard nosed tough team. Those guys are gone.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
The announcers should stop talking about the Steelers being this hard nosed tough team. Those guys are gone.

And that's probably a big a reason "those guys" are pissed. Riding the coattails of people that worked hard to make this organization great and then ******** on it would make me mad too. (I'm not including Ben, Harris, Heyward, T.J. and lately D.J.)

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
And that's probably a big a reason "those guys" are pissed. Riding the coattails of people that worked hard to make this organization great and then ******** on it would make me mad too. (I'm not including Ben, Harris, Heyward, T.J. and lately D.J.)

Of course they are. It's probably embarrassing too. Yeah only a handful get it. Ben is the only champion left on that team and he's just about cooked.When he's gone, no player will be left that's tasted victory at the highest level.

diver

Reaction score
Yep. Keep it to the results. That's enough. I don't like when we get off into the weeds to try to justify...he won with Cowher's team, he doesn't have a coaching tree, he doesn't make adjustments and blah, blah. Those things are too easy to counter. What we see on the field can't be as easily countered, it's too obvious.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Of course they are. It's probably embarrassing too. Yeah only a handful get it. Ben is the only champion left on that team and he's just about cooked.When he's gone, no player will be left that's tasted victory at the highest level.

Yeah, I guess Ben is the only one left, isn't he? I really don't care about a "winning season" if there's never a snowball's chance in Hell the Superbowl is out of question. I'm a self-admitted spoiled fan from the '70's.

I'd also like to get Bradshaw and Cowher together privately and hear what they have to say. We'll never hear it, of course, because they're both TV pre-game personalities, but this **** show has got to be driving them crazy as well. 🙄

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess Ben is the only one left, isn't he? I really don't care about a "winning season" if there's never a snowball's chance in Hell the Superbowl is out of question. I'm a self-admitted spoiled fan from the '70's.

I'd also like to get Bradshaw and Cowher together privately and hear what they have to say. We'll never hear it, of course, because they're both TV pre-game personalities, but this **** show has got to be driving them crazy as well. 🙄

Don't even need to go back to the 70,s to see a great Steeler Team.

2008 Superbowl Champs

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
"But, we've had only 3 head coaches in 52 years!"

It's almost as if this "badge of honor" - as unique as it is in the history of the league - holds more value in the eyes of the organization than does making the necessary moves to put the team in a better position to compete, and to ultimately return to winning playoff games.

Sometimes a change is not only good but necessary. The "Tomlin" way has grown stale and there appears to be no way out of it except for bringing in a new regime. We can toss around different scenarios regarding new QBs, new coordinators, new "big uglies" in the trenches, etc. etc., but I'm afraid any new glimmer of hope will then be followed up by disappointment.... again. We've all seen this movie too many times.

Tomlin can go on and still have a successful post-Steelers HC career, in whatever capacity he desires. I can see him in a role similar to Tony Dungy... a good father/husband, God-fearing Christian man, motivator of men, etc. But his end here should come sooner rather than later, I honestly believe, if this team ever wants to regain its prominence in the league.

Then, 10 years from now and a couple of Super Bowl titles later, we can still proudly say we've had only 4 coaches in 62 years.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
"But, we've had only 3 head coaches in 52 years!"

It's almost as if this "badge of honor" - as unique as it is in the history of the league - holds more value in the eyes of the organization than does making the necessary moves to put the team in a better position to compete, and to ultimately return to winning playoff games.

Sometimes a change is not only good but necessary. The "Tomlin" way has grown stale and there appears to be no way out of it except for bringing in a new regime. We can toss around different scenarios regarding new QBs, new coordinators, new "big uglies" in the trenches, etc. etc., but I'm afraid any new glimmer of hope will then be followed up by disappointment.... again. We've all seen this movie too many times.

Tomlin can go on and still have a successful post-Steelers HC career, in whatever capacity he desires. I can see him in a role similar to Tony Dungy... a good father/husband, God-fearing Christian man, motivator of men, etc. But his end here should come sooner rather than later, I honestly believe, if this team ever wants to regain its prominence in the league.

Then, 10 years from now and a couple of Super Bowl titles later, we can still proudly say we've had only 4 coaches in 62 years.
I'm guessing that the organization does not share your stated belief that the "Tomlin" way has grown stale and that there is no way out of it except for brining a new regime. I'm also guessing they heard the same things about the "Cowher" way not too long before he built the team that finally won it all and that everyone gives credit for Tomlin's Super Bowl.