• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the recent rumblings a cry for help from the locker room?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't about being a decent human being, we know he is. It's about the team and what it has become. That's on him. The culture. At this point in time he'd have to lose a bunch of guys who are used to a certain way of doing things. That's if he changed,which it being his style probably won't work for him.

I do know what to expect. I've got over 12 years of games in my brain can..lol.

You're right the owner,if he doesn't care about the team completely losing it's identity, then we sure can't do much about it.

The announcers should stop talking about the Steelers being this hard nosed tough team. Those guys are gone.
But does Art 2 care about that? We fans may care about the wins and losses but if the owner is content with the Steelers “way” whatever that means.

And again the Steelers brand is established. To us fans we know they are not hard nosed. But overall as a brand they are such.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Because it was truly a throw back game, Steelers vs Bears, Strong defenses, Snowing, just a battle of wills. It was amazing.
Back when football and players cared

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The league gladly went along with less practice in pads because they don't want any more head injury lawsuits.
Which is the other thing, dudes can't hit as hard as hard as they did 5 or 10 years ago, that stuff is a penalty now. Still, someone is going to be in first place in their division, win their conference, and win the Super Bowl, and it ain't us.
Insightful observation Ron. The league offices released a report a few weeks ago that concussions have been reduced by 17% since starting their emphasis on increased player safety. Just curious as to your opinion of this; is this purported reduction related to the mechanics of player safety through the equipment (the new helmets mostly and immediate neurological baseline comparisons under the blue tents) or is it the significant reduction in contact during practices and the over use of “subjective caution“ when throwing flags for bang bang hits during the actual game? Personally I think the latter is handled so inconsistently by officials that it shouldn't be even used as a measurement.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Insightful observation Ron. The league offices released a report a few weeks ago that concussions have been reduced by 17% since starting their emphasis on increased player safety. Just curious as to your opinion of this; is this purported reduction related to the mechanics of player safety through the equipment (the new helmets mostly and immediate neurological baseline comparisons under the blue tents) or is it the significant reduction in contact during practices and the over use of “subjective caution“ when throwing flags for bang bang hits during the actual game? Personally I think the latter is handled so inconsistently by officials that it shouldn't be even used as a measurement.
I agree, I think it is mostly helmet technology and players knowing to avoid head hits now. Not saying it never happens. I don't know how much reduced practice hitting reduced head injuries because I don't recall ever hearing that a player got a concussion in practice so I'm guessing it didn't happen a lot. One of those things that might help but mostly it looks good on paper.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, I think it is mostly helmet technology and players knowing to avoid head hits now. Not saying it never happens. I don't know how much reduced practice hitting reduced head injuries because I don't recall ever hearing that a player got a concussion in practice so I'm guessing it didn't happen a lot. One of those things that might help but mostly it looks good on paper.
Yep. But what I would like to know is what cause and effect league wise on player health has occurred because of reduced practices.

The league and NFLPA hasn’t mentioned it of course, but I would bet a Coolie million that soft tissue injuries have increased a hundred fold.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
How I view the Steelers training now vs how they used to train or should be training.

MB47

Reaction score
Wake me when Tomlin builds anything.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Links for the three players who stated this, please.
Schobert and Fitzpatrick are two of them....I don't know the third off the top of my head. Two guys that have come here via trade. Maybe practice is different at other team facilities. Maybe Tomlin's practices are simply ........ below the "standard".

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
I read this article this morning and listened to Florio. Apparently, yesterday was a good practice. :)