• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ayers scores! Coolie on cloud 9

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Well done rookie

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers may just have earned his place on this team.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers may just have earned his place on this team.

No doubt. The kid just gets open. He had the one drop today otherwise it was pretty much a perfect game for him. Our WR corp will be deep next year due to all the injuries and suspensions this year. Should be interesting to see who they keep next year.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
He was targeted 12 times..he had 5 catches... he had one bad drop and the failed to get his feet down on another... overall he made more plays than he botched... he gets open very well...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He played well. Rookie mistakes but that is going to happen. I was excited about DEB'S participation as a legit deep threat vs man. Roger's looks like a young Brown to me.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Coates is a deep threat. Ayers is a possession guy... like Ward... he isnt outrunning you... he is outquicking you with good routes and shifty, deceptive moves.... different guys, different jobs... one takes the top off of a D, the other pulls safeties in. A good offense has uses for both of these types

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He was targeted 12 times..he had 5 catches... he had one bad drop and the failed to get his feet down on another... overall he made more plays than he botched... he gets open very well...

Great way of putting it. The drop was bad, nothing else you can say, but he made some plays and caught a big pass on fourth down in overtime. The sideline pass, not much you can do there. The great receivers make that play and this guy is just getting his feet wet. What you can tell already is that the game isn't too big for him.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Great way of putting it. The drop was bad, nothing else you can say, but he made some plays and caught a big pass on fourth down in overtime. The sideline pass, not much you can do there. The great receivers make that play and this guy is just getting his feet wet. What you can tell already is that the game isn't too big for him.

Yes he seems to have the composure and attitude for it... Rookies in the NFL take time to get the two feet down thing, and the drop he just has to not anticipate the move he is making before he catches it... its hard when you go up for it like that and expect the safety to be coming in to crush you

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

yeah he should have got his second foot down on that catch...at least two of the other targets were badly over thrown. It was interesting that he lined up in the backfield a few times.

I saw at least one play where Jones could have hit him deep but threw short instead.

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
This was a big game for Ayres. He knew he would get opportunities and he responded. On another note...I would keep Hamilton over Coates. Hamilton just keeps quietly producing.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates is a deep threat. Ayers is a possession guy... like Ward... he isnt outrunning you... he is outquicking you with good routes and shifty, deceptive moves.... different guys, different jobs... one takes the top off of a D, the other pulls safeties in. A good offense has uses for both of these types

little too early to label Ayers. Playing him outside makes me think he is deep threat capable....

I think too often WRs get tagged possession WR due to their lack of being a blazer...but although early I think Ayers has the possibility of being a well rounded WR..........

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Someone was in the wrong place on that pick that DHB forced the fumble at the goal line. Roger's has played a lot more but it isn't impossible that he was in the wrong. They had two guys 3 yards apart on a deep ball.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
little too early to label Ayers. Playing him outside makes me think he is deep threat capable....

I think too often WRs get tagged possession WR due to their lack of being a blazer...but although early I think Ayers has the possibility of being a well rounded WR..........

Well a guy like ward would line up outside all the time, and caught his share of bombs... but he was never getting a safety and cb to back up a ton to compensate for his speed... opening up things undernieth... sometimes the way the guy plays dictates how you play him... every time coates is in there the cb is playing off unless he has serious help deep... and a safety cheats to his side...

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's not a deep threat. He's a route runner with some tenacity.

Big ups for my boy Cobi "Big Country" Hamilton as well.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Did Coates even play today? I saw he had no catches.

I'm worried about Sammy's future with the team. He seemed to have such promise early on.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats Coolie. I admit that I had my doubts, but it looks like he could develop into a baller!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers looked pretty good even if just his 2nd game in the NFL. His energy is infectious provided his celebrations don't become to brash. He has the "IT" needed to stick. I was hoping to get to see his return abilities displayed some. I understand CMT decision to NOT but I would have tested that water today.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
He's not a deep threat. He's a route runner with some tenacity.

Big ups for my boy Cobi "Big Country" Hamilton as well.

but a route runner can get open for some deep shots by setting up the CB and making a second move to get behind him....

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/01/steelers_ayers_mom_td_ball.html

Pittsburgh Steelers WR scores 1st NFL TD at mom's 1st Steelers game

PITTSBURGH -- Having not seen his mother since July Demarcus Ayers had to call in some help.

He wanted her to see him play. She hadn't since he was in college. It was a couple days before New Year's Eve and flights were filling up so fast that Ayers wasn't sure if he'd be able to get his mom a trip back to Dallas, Texas.

Ayers dialed his friend, who works at Pittsburgh International Airport. The friend found Ayers' mother, Bernice Edwards, a return flight.

The Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver rewarded them both with a five-catch, 44-yard performance that included an 11-yard score on a crossing that put the Steelers up by a touchdown with 2:20 left in Pittsburgh's 27-24 overtime win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

After the game, Ayers had two priorities. Find the touchdown ball and find his mom. He only had eight hours with her Saturday before he had to check into the team hotel.

As he celebrated the go-ahead score, Ayers pointed to the crowd with his right hand, still holding the ball. Changing hands, Ayers tucked it against his left hip as he jogged up the Steelers sideline, clapped hands with Antonio Brown, made his right hand into the shape of a phone, put it to his right ear and lifted it toward the sky.

Brown, who Ayers replaced in the starting lineup Sunday, calls this his "Call God" celebration. Ayers joked in the post-game locker room that his six points didn't count until Brown got to celebrate them.

Once they had, Ayers tracked down assistant equipment manager Patrick Noone and handed him the ball.

Sitting at his locker before he found the ball or his mother, Ayers hadn't decided what he wanted to do with the ball yet. He was definitely going to sign it, he said, but wasn't sure if it would let it collect dust in a box or place it in what he called his man cave.

There, he has his high school, all-star game and Houston Cougars jerseys with the one he wore in his NFL debut last week. Ayers was only promoted to the 53-man roster three weeks ago. His uniform from Sunday's game was set for the man cave, too.

Ayers himself was headed for a second celebration of his first NFL touchdown - this one with his mother - when he figured out where he might put the ball he scored it with.

In his mother's hands.

"I don't know," he said. "My mom's here. It's her first game, so I might give it to her, let her take it back on the road with her, let her think about it."

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
On the PI call, I got the feeling DA did a bit of acting and kind of dove out of bounds hoping to get a call. Don't think he had much of a shot to get to the ball....

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
On the PI call, I got the feeling DA did a bit of acting and kind of dove out of bounds hoping to get a call. Don't think he had much of a shot to get to the ball....

worked for Flacco for years....

it shows me they have confidence in his deep ball separation......

not bad for a player coming off the PS.........