• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
HBO documentary. Really good. Feelings about either/both aside, these guys live and breathe coaching football and this is a great documentary. One thing that stands out is that both believe that coaching is about understanding and teaching fundamentals. It's core to Belichick's "Do your job" mantra. Saban was talking about how today coaches might advance because they know how to analyze data - whatever - but can they teach a QB how to take a snap from center? That's how these guys think. They coach everything. Every little thing is important. Contrast this with that Tomlin comment that if he needs to teach a WR how to catch.. I still can't believe he said that.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Clap, clap, clap. Coaching is teaching. And no one on this staff can teach so if Tomlin can get a guy who is totally fundamentally sound to fit into his scheme he can work with him. Teach him better technique. Not so much. Don't get mr wrong. Not a fan of Belicheat and the bullshit. But if you think that is the meat of their success you are kidding yourself.

mdk2

Reaction score
HBO documentary. Really good. Feelings about either/both aside, these guys live and breathe coaching football and this is a great documentary. One thing that stands out is that both believe that coaching is about understanding and teaching fundamentals. It's core to Belichick's "Do your job" mantra. Saban was talking about how today coaches might advance because they know how to analyze data - whatever - but can they teach a QB how to take a snap from center? That's how these guys think. They coach everything. Every little thing is important. Contrast this with that Tomlin comment that if he needs to teach a WR how to catch.. I still can't believe he said that.

Tomlin can’t be in the same breath with either of these guys. Tomlin is a motivation speaker, but emotion gets you to kickoff then it doesn’t mean **** what was said before the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Chuck Noll was a teacher, and a comically bad rah rah guy - except for that one time.

"You know, the coach of the Raiders said the two best teams in football played yesterday, and that was the Super Bowl. Well, the Super Bowl is three weeks from now, and the best team in pro football is sitting right here in this room."

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Let's put the cheating **** aside. And I do not deny that is a deal cause it is. I've always believed Belicheat and Noll were very similar coaches. Sound fundamentals and let the numbers catch up. Tomlin and to a lesser extent Cowher are gut feeling guys. Noll and Belicheat win by grinding it down attacking what you cannot do well and stopping what you do well.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Let's put the cheating **** aside. And I do not deny that is a deal cause it is. I've always believed Belicheat and Noll were very similar coaches. Sound fundamentals and let the numbers catch up. Tomlin and to a lesser extent Cowher are gut feeling guys. Noll and Belicheat win by grinding it down attacking what you cannot do well and stopping what you do well.

I'm not sure Noll's teams took anything in particular away. There were no weakness anywhere on the D. The Patriots quick slants would result in hospital visits back then, and Mel would set up his safety for any deep threat from the number one. Running backs never had a chance, and Ham and Russell were rarely out of position on screens.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh great another prop up a cheating coach thread, wasn't enough that our team lost?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app