• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben not commiting to 2017

Ben's powerplay. A what if. Take the poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see Ben walking away just yet. Realistically I see 2-3 years. This is pretty similar to what Green Bay went through with Favre as he neared the end. The time to draft a QB is now. Maybe not a first round pick, but definitely a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB this year is warranted.

Ben definitely had ****** options on offense outside of Brown, Bell and James. Hamilton, Rogers, Coates and Ayers made some plays, but more than not they were detrimental to our offense. We need Wheaton back healthy and we need Bryant to come out and dominate without the bullshit.

Defensively, man I really thought we had the personnel to go into NE and win the game. Then we dropped into zone coverage, all ******* game long. Wrong game plan. Coach Tomlin talks about fear and not living in our fears. We got beat on the field because the defensive game plan was horrid. Sure NE is always going to get their points with Brady but if we play more man and bump their receivers at the line of scrimmage while sending blitzers we can put pressure on Brady and force mistakes. It was not a pretty sight in person, unless you're a NE fan.

The lack of willingness to change up defensive strategy is troubling. I'm not sure anyone needs to get fired more so than we need to see better adjustments from the coaching staff and we need to make sure Ben has people to throw the ball to. Unfortunately injuries and Bryant's lack of maturity took that away this year.

Gonna be a while before the sting of Sunday night is gone. The drama and talk is just that until the NFL year is over.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I don't think it's drama....he's 13 years in and has enough money for 10 lifetimes. I think he's venting. For all we know he may have wanted Ayers on the field and miffed at the guys he had to throw to...he may have seen the planned defensive strategy and knew they were doomed. I know the Rooneys better take an ear or they will be looking at a 6-10 season next year.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
R-E-L-A-X

Common verteranspeak all the way...

These are also frustrated comments & at the same time these are calculated comments.

He is trying to ensure to secure the environment is going to be thriving and not stagnant.

Change will be made on the offensive side of the ball.....This team under performed and Haley is probably gone

So a guy that may or may not be thinking about hanging them ...has to then worry about learning a new system..

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'd say the defense really under performed, I guess Butler should be gone

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I was listening to the radio show. And it didn't sound like anything like its being made out to be, especially in this thread. He is old and he said as older guy with a family he has to think about it this way. Because you want to be able to walk away as healthy as you can and have a quality life with your family after football.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Part of the reason I come to this forum is the enthusiasm of the fans...other reasons are the debates and the humor......but another reason is I come to watch some of you ******* lose your collective **** over any loss and half the wins. This **** is comical especially in how so goddamn fast some of your emotions turn. Id swear some of you were bi-polar. Goddamn this is an interesting bunch.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Part of the reason I come to this forum is the enthusiasm of the fans...other reasons are the debates and the humor......but another reason is I come to watch some of you ******* lose your collective **** over any loss and half the wins. This **** is comical especially in how so goddamn fast some of your emotions turn. Id swear some of you were bi-polar. Goddamn this is an interesting bunch.

**** is ridiculous. Especially the ones who claimed to be listening in. He didn't sound nothing like what is being made out to be. Just a whole bunch of people interjecting their own feelings in this thread.

str8liner

Reaction score
I can see Ben getting fed up with the current situation. Look at the Bell and Bryant suspension to start the season. You know he has to be involved with trying to keep these guys straight. Now we have the Brown controversy that even if it didn't affect the preparation for the game, was totally selfish and irresponsible at best...

And with the way they played in the most important game for them in over 6 years I would be pissed too. That was a total embarrassment.

Ben is not getting any younger and if he see's things that make him believe he doesn't have a legitimate shot at #7 I cant blame him for saying screw it.

EDIT: And for the record I do NOT think Ben will hang it up.

Last edited:

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So a guy that may or may not be thinking about hanging them ...has to then worry about learning a new system..

Agreed. What I will offer though, is that the system can work. When we go no huddle and Ben is calling the plays we seem to move up and down the field at will and put 7 on the board. Why is it that it takes our QB calling the plays instead of our OC to make it work?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Wow talk about taking a torpedo hit to the ship broad side if Ben happens to walk away...No life boats aboard either.....

OMG it just dawned on me.....Ben announces he is retiring and they go out and get Tony Romo.....

Mother of god......

I couldn't see that happening. It would be Landry or bust! He knows the system.(ducking)

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. What I will offer though, is that the system can work. When we go no huddle and Ben is calling the plays we seem to move up and down the field at will and put 7 on the board. Why is it that it takes our QB calling the plays instead of our OC to make it work?

Secondly, why are we one of the only teams that supposedly cannot go no huddle on the road because of "the noise level?" Do we have 53 guys that can't learn a signal system like the rest of the NFL?

steelhurt

Reaction score

And you blend!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Don't blame him for being frustrated. His two best offensive weapons, three really, **** up, and the DC is a moron who apparently never watched film of the Pats****.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Again, Ben is frustrated. He busts his *** every year for this team and really thought this may have been the year. So the circus starts in February with a year long suspension to his #2 receiver. Next later in the spring comes nail #2 when his feature back is suspended for the first 4 games. Couple this with Heath his security blanket on the field retiring and replacing him with the concussion magnet. Then through no ones fault, he loses veteran receiver Wheaton for the year. So now he plays with really one legit WR threat in Brown and a handful of inexperienced receivers. Green misses most of the season forcing James into action who did ok but big drop from Miller. Then throughout the season he has to literally babysit Brown to keep him happy. Then the locker room fiasco with Brown showing disrespect for HC and QB.
Ben has had it I believe and wants change or I think he feels what's the point of putting it all out there.
I'm sure the play calling has a part in this as well.
Ben yes can be s drama queen at times but I think before he commits he wants s commitment from the team.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
No where did I say get rid of him. But every year it's the same drama. Usually it's about injuries now it's about retirement.
The only one causing drama is our supposed star WR, Ben has to go babysit the crybaby after we score a TD to make it a one possession game in the ******* AFCCG, because he didn't score.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Don't blame him for being frustrated. His two best offensive weapons, three really, **** up, and the DC is a moron who apparently never watched film of the Pats****.

Ben didnt also have his share of f*cking up on the field this year?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I was listening to the radio show. And it didn't sound like anything like its being made out to be, especially in this thread. He is old and he said as older guy with a family he has to think about it this way. Because you want to be able to walk away as healthy as you can and have a quality life with your family after football.

Tomlin talks about Ben walking away. It's for real. And why would Ben want to walk away now. He has the best OL protecting him and is close to another super bowl. Its not like he's in Phillip Rivers shoes!

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s comment today that he is considering retirement came as a surprise to some people, but not to coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin told reporters today that he wants to keep coaching Roethlisberger but will understand if the soon-to-be 35-year-old Roethlisberger decides to walk away.

“Ben said it so you do take it seriously. I’m not alarmed by it, that’s football. Obviously, I’m hopeful he returns,” Tomlin said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Not surprised by that thought process by Ben. We’ll react and plan accordingly. We haven’t met yet. He’s one of last I meet with.”

Although Roethlisberger is still a good starting quarterback, given his age it wouldn’t be a huge shock to see him quit this offseason. Tomlin said the Steelers will plan accordingly for the possibility that they’ll be building a new offense with a new quarterback in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-ben-roethlisberger-is-thinking-of-retiring/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Quality of life after football not for the dumb speculation reasons stated in this thread

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It took the Steelers 6 years to get back to the AFCC. There's no doubt in my mind that Ben sees the end of his career coming quickly and is frustrated that the team has not been able to get there more often. It's on him as much as anyone else, but I think he's dissatisfied with the discipline this team has shown under Tomlin the last few years.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben's power play. A what if. Take the poll

Ben's powerplay. A what if. Take the poll

Suppose Ben does not want to retire, but has a major issue with Haley, Tomlin or Brown and voices it out to Rooney in powerplay fashion asking for a change or I go. Things just got real...

Pick the best course of action:

1 ) Brown and Tomlin can be traded, Haley fired. Have it your way, but give me your word and commitment to the team for X amount of years.

2 ) Stand firm, and wish Ben luck on his life's work.

3 ) Make no decision, it could be a bluff. Wait for more time to pass